Prime Sirloin Roast

Author
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
2006/09/13 08:40:44 (permalink)

Prime Sirloin Roast

I was sooooooo tempted....was at Sam's Club this morning and they had PRIME sirloin (tip I presume) roasts for $2.08 lb????? can it be? They were cryovac'd so I guess it can be....but they were so big....nothing less than 8 lbs....any thoughts on what to do with such a huge hunk of meat when it's only me and my husband..occasionally I cook for another couple and their 4 1/2 yr old twins... other than cutting into smaller roasts...the obvious answer (thanks V960..)...can this cut be made into steaks....could I barbeque the smaller roasts over indirect heat with some hickory or other wood smoking?

Any thoughts...all replies most appreciated?

11 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/13 08:55:22 (permalink)
    I will assume you own a knife. Cut into four equal portions and cook only one at a time.
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 08:31:27 (permalink)
    ok...so I was back in Sam's over the weekend...they again had the sirloin roasts and the cryovac'd bag said prime..but there was a USDA Choice sticker on the couple there...even bigger than the ones I saw earlier in the week...I asked the "butcher?" and he says Sam's makes them label all the meat with the USDA Choice sticker...but sometimes they do get some prime meats on the bigger cuts...and he says that whatever it says on the cryovac bag is truly the grade of meat...so...next time I see some...I'm buying.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 12:30:45 (permalink)
    You cauld also cook the whole thing and then freeze in 2 person portions. I do them allot, about 4lb ers in the crock pot w/ onions, garlic, and jalapenos, and serve over a baked tater, mmm. I cut it up about an hour from done and let it cook in the juice.

Or, freeze half, cook half, or?, all kinds of combinations. It sure sounds like a must buy to me!
    Joe
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 18:32:52 (permalink)
    Prime sirloin in a crock pot

I don't even braise or stew choice sirloin - too good a cut of meat for that.

I've never bought prime sirloin but I'd grind or chunk some up for some mighty good chili - chili grind of course. (I usually only use round or chuck, but at that price ....!). Also, make some chopped sirloin steaks or burgers (Alton Brown had a good recipe using a food processor I think. I'd use the grinder on my KitchenAid since I don't have a food processor).

Steaks? Roasts? Steak tartare?

I've never seen prime anything at Sam's, nor choice sirloin for that price - I'll sure be on the lookout for it. What a find.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 18:59:06 (permalink)
    Whops, I ment that I do choice serloin tip roast in the crock pot. I might also do a prime at $2 a lb. I cook lotsa stuff but the jalapeno, onion, garlic serloin is my family's fav. Don't knock it till Olth. Cutting it up and letin it cook in the juice for a while is the trick.
    Joe
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 19:31:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LindaW

ok...so I was back in Sam's over the weekend...they again had the sirloin roasts and the cryovac'd bag said prime..but there was a USDA Choice sticker on the couple there...even bigger than the ones I saw earlier in the week...I asked the "butcher?" and he says Sam's makes them label all the meat with the USDA Choice sticker...but sometimes they do get some prime meats on the bigger cuts...and he says that whatever it says on the cryovac bag is truly the grade of meat...so...next time I see some...I'm buying.
    The gradeing standards have changed dramaticly over the years. When was the last time that you bought a roast with the USDA blue gradeing stamp on it? The same is true for any other cut of meat. As you stated Sams makes them label all pakages with the choice label, heck I can remember when you bought a chuck roast there would be a GOOD sticker on the wrapper, haven't seen one of those in years. Do you want to buy a case of stickers? I'll give you a deal. Chow Jim
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 19:54:48 (permalink)
    I've been in your shoes many times. Single guy, big chunk of meat staring me in the face....what to do.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 20:28:08 (permalink)
    I believe the commercial name for this style roast when cooked is Steamship Round and I am sure it goes by other names as well. Cook the entire thing whole. You seem to indicate you have a smoker. Smoke that sucker whole, it does not get any better than that.

Have your neighbors over for the Great Smoked Beef-o-rama. I doubt you will have any leftovers.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 20:43:44 (permalink)

We buy that cut when it is on sale at Kroger. Usually called a Whole Sirloin Tip, or a Whole Top Sirloin. It runs 10-13 lbs and is usually in the Cryovac sealed plastic. It goes on sale frequently at $1.89 or $1.99 a lb. Last one we got was at $1.79 a pound. I had the counterman run it thru his slicer to get 1.25 inch steaks out of it. I think we got 9 steaks from that one Roast. They grill ok, but do a lot better in the crockpot or closed-lid-roasting with veggies. They also make great Fajitas and Burrito filling.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/09/18 21:30:43 (permalink)
    Great suggestion Greyghost. I haven't bought the cut in years because sirloin is not my favorite cut for steak. Used to be on special at local markets regularly but I can't remember the last time I saw one advertised here.
    Boss 302
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Prime Sirloin Roast 2006/10/23 15:27:41 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Greyghost

I believe the commercial name for this style roast when cooked is Steamship Round and I am sure it goes by other names as well.

A steamship round is the whole round (top round, bottom round eye round and the sirloin tip) cooked as one.

I would stay away from the sirloin tip and that is only good for hamburger. The sirloin top butt is a very good steak (or roast) but you must get it in Prime OR Choice grade only. Select or no roll grade is junk and will be tuff.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1