Prime rib on a smoker...advice please

Author
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
2012/11/30 11:26:26 (permalink)

Prime rib on a smoker...advice please

The good folks here have been a great source of information & advice on more than a few occasions, so...I stand before you again. In a couple of weeks I will be doing a catering job and serving prime rib for 80. I will be cooking (or bringing up to temp.) on site, using my reverse flow smoker. For those of you with experience, am I better off going with the pre-cooked & bagged prime rib...or starting from scratch with whole rib-eyes?

Any ideas on how long these will take to cook? I'll probably pull at 130°

Self serve buffet line & we will carve as the guests come through.

Thanks for all of your comments.............Best.............John

18 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/11/30 13:02:27 (permalink)
    Here is the only way to make a really good Prime Rib. Put it in your smoker and smoke until 113 to 119 degrees. Pull it out and wrap it in foil and put it in the reach in.
    When your ready to serve it fill a charcoal grill with a bunch of charcoal...... lite it and when you have a fire that is about 3 or 4 inches high fill the grill with slices of prime rib. As fast as you can fill the grill turn each slice over. Give them about 3 minutes on the 2nd side. I used to do a Christmas dinner for a small town fire department and served 300 people this way. I did it for about 8 years then they decided I needed help and sent a couple of guys out to help. LMAO they weren't helping they were spying. So now the same group does there own. I promise you this will create the juiciest prime rib you'll ever eat. And you'll get a great smokey aroma/flavor that will turn heads when you walk into a room with a six inch pan full.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2073
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/11/30 19:46:52 (permalink)
    shhh  ... don't tell anyone or you will have more mouths than Prime Rib   ... Dr. BBQ's method above will do just fine and will insure the steaks come off the grill hot and not over cooked.  ...  Save thick one for me.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/11/30 19:50:13
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10115
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/01 00:54:19 (permalink)
    Relentless

The good folks here have been a great source of information & advice on more than a few occasions, so...I stand before you again. In a couple of weeks I will be doing a catering job and serving prime rib for 80. I will be cooking (or bringing up to temp.) on site, using my reverse flow smoker. For those of you with experience, am I better off going with the pre-cooked & bagged prime rib...or starting from scratch with whole rib-eyes?

Based on how you wrote this, I'm assuming Boneless, correct?
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/01 08:11:23 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Here is the only way to make a really good Prime Rib. Put it in your smoker and smoke until 113 to 119 degrees. Pull it out and wrap it in foil and put it in the reach in.
    When your ready to serve it fill a charcoal grill with a bunch of charcoal...... lite it and when you have a fire that is about 3 or 4 inches high fill the grill with slices of prime rib. As fast as you can fill the grill turn each slice over. Give them about 3 minutes on the 2nd side. I used to do a Christmas dinner for a small town fire department and served 300 people this way. I did it for about 8 years then they decided I needed help and sent a couple of guys out to help. LMAO they weren't helping they were spying. So now the same group does there own. I promise you this will create the juiciest prime rib you'll ever eat. And you'll get a great smokey aroma/flavor that will turn heads when you walk into a room with a six inch pan full.

Thanks I will try this. It makes total sense...Russ
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/01 08:29:10 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Relentless

Based on how you wrote this, I'm assuming Boneless, correct?

Yes...boneless. I have pretty well decided to go with whole rib-eyes, and at this point am mostly interested in how long they are going to take to come up to temp (125° +-) in my smoker at 250°....they are going to average 12-15 lbs apiece.

How about shrinkage/waste? How many pounds raw weight would you cook if planning on an 8 oz. serving for 80 people?

Thanks............John
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/01 09:09:38 (permalink)
    8 x 80 =640 ounces
    640 divided by 16 = 40 lbs
    average 12 lbs per unit =3.33 units so you go with 4 units.
    But I'd do 5 just to be on the safe side. Your far better even at the price of good PR to have extra than run out or be short.

Your not going to get much shrinkage if you follow my suggestion but it looks like you won't because your already back to the 125 degree idea. And if you smoke them to 125 degrees and then reheat the first 3 slices on each end will be overdone, tough and dry. Which will generate 12 slices that are tasteless.

Not to be the bad guy here but I'm telling you I have perfected this method and 119 degrees is the max internal temp you want to gain on the initial smoke. After you take them off you must wrap in foil immediately and cool as quickly as possible. The internal temp will go up 12 degrees within 10 minutes after you take them out of the smoker and you want to stop that by the fast cooling.

And your reheat has to be very fast you need to shock the cold meat and not allow it to bake. The very hot grill (I used 4 large charcoal grills) leaves great grill marks on each serving.  I never had a complaint and we just kept taking in 6 inch pans full of PR as fast as they came off the grill. The line would move along and everyone got a great meal. I also did this for the LPGA golfers at a tournament that was an annual event here in town for years.

The number of grills you use is important because you want the fire and the grill ribs/surface to be hot. Thus the grill marks. It was funny how many people told me after the 2nd or 3rd year that they had tried buying PR and cooking it at home the way they saw me do it on a hot charcoal grill and it had been a disaster. They had no idea I smoked it first. LMAO
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/12/01 09:21:21
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/01 19:37:11 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

8 x 80 =640 ounces
    640 divided by 16 = 40 lbs
    average 12 lbs per unit =3.33 units so you go with 4 units.
    But I'd do 5 just to be on the safe side. Your far better even at the price of good PR to have extra than run out or be short.

Your not going to get much shrinkage if you follow my suggestion but it looks like you won't because your already back to the 125 degree idea. And if you smoke them to 125 degrees and then reheat the first 3 slices on each end will be overdone, tough and dry. Which will generate 12 slices that are tasteless.

Not to be the bad guy here but I'm telling you I have perfected this method and 119 degrees is the max internal temp you want to gain on the initial smoke. After you take them off you must wrap in foil immediately and cool as quickly as possible. The internal temp will go up 12 degrees within 10 minutes after you take them out of the smoker and you want to stop that by the fast cooling.

And your reheat has to be very fast you need to shock the cold meat and not allow it to bake. The very hot grill (I used 4 large charcoal grills) leaves great grill marks on each serving.  I never had a complaint and we just kept taking in 6 inch pans full of PR as fast as they came off the grill. The line would move along and everyone got a great meal. I also did this for the LPGA golfers at a tournament that was an annual event here in town for years.

The number of grills you use is important because you want the fire and the grill ribs/surface to be hot. Thus the grill marks. It was funny how many people told me after the 2nd or 3rd year that they had tried buying PR and cooking it at home the way they saw me do it on a hot charcoal grill and it had been a disaster. They had no idea I smoked it first. LMAO

Doctor: Thanks again for your comments and your willingness to share knowledge with others. I understand the math, but have no experience with what I might be looking at on shrinkage. And yes, I am planning on cooking 5 whole rib-eyes.

While I am sure that your method works well for you and produces a superior product...unfortunately one size does not always fit all. I do not have either the equipment or a place to set it up and use it at the location I am catering at. Whether or not it is the absolute best way, I am planning on cooking in the smoker to 120° and holding for service. I would like my hold time to be as short as possible, so....what I really need to know is approximately how long I will need to cook at 275° in order to bring the meat up to 120°

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

Best.........John
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/02 10:26:43 (permalink)
    I don't have a clue I just smoke mine and watch the internal temperature. I think that's about all the help I can offer you. Sorry.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/02 10:49:52 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

I don't have a clue I just smoke mine and watch the internal temperature. I think that's about all the help I can offer you. Sorry.

Not a problem sir...thank you for your comments.
    edwmax
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/02 14:23:55 (permalink)
    It has been a while since I last did whole smoked Prime Rib or boneless ribeye.   I used an electric Brinkmann http://www.walmart.com/ip...-Smoker-Black/11050750    Whether I did one or 2 whole roast at 225/250 it would take 5 to 6 hrs.  I was cooking to an internal temp about 145/150.    The group I was cooking for didn't want any red.   These roast need to rest almost an hour before cutting.     ... The last time I did one, it was a little under cooked (prefect for me tho).  After slicing I put the pan into a blasting hot 500 deg oven and in 15 min ... no red.

I've had one group member asking how I cooked the Prime Rib.   After telling him, he stated there was no Damn way the Prime Rib he eat was cooked on any electric grill/smoke.  I carry him to the kitchen and showed him the smoker and the 6 charcoal briquettes around the elect element.

Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/02 15:54:50 (permalink)
    edwmax

It has been a while since I last did whole smoked Prime Rib or boneless ribeye.   I used an electric Brinkmann http://www.walmart.com/ip...-Smoker-Black/11050750    Whether I did one or 2 whole roast at 225/250 it would take 5 to 6 hrs.  I was cooking to an internal temp about 145/150.    The group I was cooking for didn't want any red.   These roast need to rest almost an hour before cutting.     ... The last time I did one, it was a little under cooked (prefect for me tho).  After slicing I put the pan into a blasting hot 500 deg oven and in 15 min ... no red.

I've had one group member asking how I cooked the Prime Rib.   After telling him, he stated there was no Damn way the Prime Rib he eat was cooked on any electric grill/smoke.  I carry him to the kitchen and showed him the smoker and the 6 charcoal briquettes around the elect element.

Thank you for your input! One of the things I enjoy most about grilling/smoking/barbequeing is hearing how other folks have done it. There are a lot of different ways to skin this cat, and people use various methods and equipment to arrive at the same goal. There are not too many absolute truths when it comes to BBQ, at least not IMO.
    I appreciate the info on cooking time...I will be stopping well short of your temps...but what you are saying pretty much jives with what I am hearing from other sources.
    Thanks again.............John
    edwmax
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/02 18:19:08 (permalink)
    Relentless,

You haven't indicated what equipment or kitchen would be available onsite.    Assuming, none ... then I would cook/smoke the prime rib to 120/130 deg.; let rest then slice into foil pans.   Then set the pans into an elec. roaster (without the insert) to keep warm for a hour or so (timing as short as possible).  About 20-30 min before serving add some water to the bottom of the roaster (steam & very hot) and turn the temp up to 300 to bring the meat up to serving temp and done-ness.    I would not cook any more than removing the red from the meat & pan juices. This is visual thing for those that don't like raw (any red).  ... Serve!  Save a few slightly rare for those that might ask for one.

If an oven is available, you can do the same in it.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/12/02 18:24:40
    edwmax
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/02 18:34:47 (permalink)
    Relentless

I appreciate the info on cooking time...I will be stopping well short of your temps...but what you are saying pretty much jives with what I am hearing from other sources.
    Thanks again.............John

At the temps I used, I had about an hour (some time less) before serving.  There was no reheating and holding time was nonexistent.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/03 08:17:44 (permalink)
    edwmax

Relentless,

You haven't indicated what equipment or kitchen would be available onsite.    Assuming, none ... then I would cook/smoke the prime rib to 120/130 deg.; let rest then slice into foil pans.   Then set the pans into an elec. roaster (without the insert) to keep warm for a hour or so (timing as short as possible).  About 20-30 min before serving add some water to the bottom of the roaster (steam & very hot) and turn the temp up to 300 to bring the meat up to serving temp and done-ness.    I would not cook any more than removing the red from the meat & pan juices. This is visual thing for those that don't like raw (any red).  ... Serve!  Save a few slightly rare for those that might ask for one.

If an oven is available, you can do the same in it.

A little back-story...I did this same party last year. Prime rib & pork loins...had a near disaster with the prime rib. I bought the bagged pre-cooked prime rib & was just going to slice and grill on site. Long story short, it was so cold that my 6' event gas grill from Sam's would not light. Cheap Chinese POS. There is a 10 eye stove on site with a double oven...having few options and no time, we sliced them up and placed in the oven on sheet pans. Everything was done in time & all was well...but I won't be putting my rear end on the line with that grill again.

Looking back on that experience is causing me to also rethink the temp I want to cook to. I did not have a scrap of the pork loin left over, but did have a fair amount on the prime rib. Since many in this area tend to order their steaks medium or medium well, I am thinking that mine might have been a little on the rare side for them. A good friend who also cooks for a living is confirming this...he does a yearly gig where he cooks 34 cases of prime rib & is telling me to cook to 140° or be prepared to get a lot of them back. I suspect there is a fair chance that he knows what he is talking about.

At any rate...the revised plan of the moment is to cook in the smoker to 130° and then hold in my SM-150 at 140° for a brief period (hopefully)...then throw in the cambro and drive a half mile to the site. The chips will then fall where they may. Unless somebody convinces me otherwise

Thank you for your comments edwmax.
    edwmax
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/03 10:52:31 (permalink)
    I agree with your friend and his comments shows my temps are not off.     ... Anyway at 140 there will be pink centers.  Since you have access to a commercial range & ovens at the event site, crank an oven to 500 deg and take the pink out  & raise the temp of the meat just before serving.   Keep the juices with the ribeyes.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/12/03 10:54:44
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/05 09:21:41 (permalink)
    At 250F I would go about four hrs for a 12 lb roast maybe more but start checking then.you should be somewhere around 120-135F by then.Put a foil pan under each roast to catch any drippings for your Au juice.pull about 5 to 10 degrees below your target temp wrap in foil and place in a plastic ice chest,cover with a old bath towel and it will stay warm for hrs.(BBQ is my business)
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/09 11:14:49 (permalink)
    Well...it is over & done, and could have hardly gone better. Got lots of positive comments and the client is well pleased which is what matters. The hostess & I were both concerned as cocktail hour wound down to dinner time...there were a number of folks in attendance who were not invited She took it all in stride and we ran out of nothing. Barely:-)...I had one slice of prime rib left at the end of the night. I don't know how many people we fed...more than 80!

So...for those who are interested......what actually happened:
    I used a pre-cooked & bagged prime rib from USFoods & cooked 4 of them that averaged 14.5 lbs. for a total weight of 58 lbs. Placed them in the FEC-100 at 275° and they were at 135° in three hours flat. Then briefly in to the warmer set at 140°...then into the cambro where they rested for about an hour before being sliced and served with au jus in the pan.
    I did not check the temperature at serving, but they were too done for me. No pink. However, we did not have a single person ask for something more rare. They were fork tender and very flavorful & I had a number of people come up to me saying that they were much better than last years. IMO they were not, but this bunch clearly does not like pink & their opinion is what counts.
    For those who might do something similar, here are the amounts I cooked and how it worked out.
    80 people....probably 50 guys.
    Prime Rib- Cooked 4 with a total weight of 58 lbs. Had one slice left over.
    Shrimp- Peel & eat...large, beautiful and fresh off the boat from a friend in LA that owns a shrimp trawler. Served both as an appetizer and on the buffet line. I cooked about 25 lbs. of these and had maybe 10 lbs. left over. Only surprise of the night.
    Green Beans- Cooked 4 #10 cans with smoked ham and onion...about 100 servings. Had about 6 servings left over.
    Baked Potatoes- Cooked 75 and had about 10 left.
    Salad- Used 2 of the Mixed Spring Greens from Sam's and one of their 2# bags of mixed lettuce/carrots etc., plus cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices. Probably 5 lbs. total and had about 1/3 of it left.
    Disclaimer: All presented FWIW and YMMV. It worked for me and my customer last night:-) Sorry for the long post.........Best.............John
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Prime rib on a smoker...advice please 2012/12/09 22:50:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like a winner!.......and why those damn fools left all that shrimp is beyond me!  Got a good start on some Gumbo, tho!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1