Prince Edward Island Potatoes

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13499
2003/08/10 16:54:54 (permalink)

Prince Edward Island Potatoes

I drove from one end of PEI to the other and I counted at least six different varieties of potatoes being raised.

I have raised potatoes in Tennessee for many years. Mine have always bloomed white. I saw them there blooming blue.

A lot of the stands were selling new potatoes of different varieties.

I wish I had a opportunity to stop, but I was on a tight schedule and traffic at the long bridge between PEI and NB was backed up for some reason.

They had great skeeters there. Son of a guns tried to eat me alive every time I stopped.

PEI is a beautiful place. They also had a wonderful berry cordial there that was bottled in PEI. Very unusual taste.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

5 Replies Related Threads

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Prince Edward Island Potatoes 2003/11/17 19:20:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I drove from one end of PEI to the other and I counted at least six different varieties of potatoes being raised.

I have raised potatoes in Tennessee for many years. Mine have always bloomed white. I saw them there blooming blue.

A lot of the stands were selling new potatoes of different varieties.

I wish I had a opportunity to stop, but I was on a tight schedule and traffic at the long bridge between PEI and NB was backed up for some reason.

They had great skeeters there. Son of a guns tried to eat me alive every time I stopped.

PEI is a beautiful place. They also had a wonderful berry cordial there that was bottled in PEI. Very unusual taste.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

We bought some of those blue potatoes when we were travelling there. What I really liked about the roadside stands in PEI was that they operated on the honor system. One stand had potatoes, honey, some fruit, all with their prices listed. We bought three things. I waited around for someone to show up to take my money. Finally, after a few minutes I saw this little kid turning in from the road to go home. I stopped him and asked if he could get someone whom I could pay. "Just add it up and put in your money," he said. I looked and even saw that I could have made my own change. Wow.

Speaking of PEI, we went to a great restaurant located right across from a lighthouse, the Chowder House at Point Prim, an unpretentious little restaurant with great chowder, and a house speciality, Irish Moss dessert, which is for lack of a better description like a seaweed custard. Delicious. I only wish we had arrived there on a Tuesday when they have their weekly music night.
    The-Porcus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Prince Edward Island Potatoes 2003/11/22 19:17:28 (permalink)
    I'm glad to hear the PEI spud revered. Yes, there are scads of varieties - my favourite is the one known as the netted gem. This brings to mind a sad note - the editor of Fraser's Potato newsletter, an incredible fount of tuber knowledge, died last week at his home in hazelbrook, PEI. Harry was 64 and will be missed.
    retired & glad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Prince Edward Island Potatoes 2003/11/23 04:55:48 (permalink)
    We've been retired for about a year now and have spent this period fixing up the 1950'ish home we relocated to. Things are just about in in line now and we would like to get out and do some exploring in 2004. After seeing a PBS special on Prince Edward Island we thought that sounds like a neat place to visit. Since we haven't really traveled in the northeast U. S. beyond Wellsboro, PA, we figured we could take a leisurely road trip through new territory [for us] most of the way up [and probably get to try some new types of roadfood along the way too]. Would you recommend this jaunt? What are the best months to visit PEI weatherwise? I and the lovely Mrs. Retired would appreciate your advice.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13499
    RE: Prince Edward Island Potatoes 2003/11/23 05:44:02 (permalink)
    I caught the overnight ferry from Portland, Maine into Nova Scotia and I toured the entire area then I caught the one hour ferry from Nova Scotia to PEI and then the 11 mile bridge to New Brunswick.

Definately do Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia and PEI is one of the prettiest places I have ever been.

I have been to the area twice. Once in May and Once in early September. I would think fall would be the best time to visit.

Seafood is wonderful and obviously potatoes in PEI

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    hucknbock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Prince Edward Island Potatoes 2003/11/24 13:03:19 (permalink)
    Retired,

We mostly go up in Summer, so don't know too much about Spring. Up until about mid-July, mosquitos can be a distraction, then from mid- to late-July is peak tourist season. The latter half of August is about best -- you can get new potatoes and most of the oturists are gone. September is also good, though many of the rural restaurants and tourist attractions are closed. Best time to take solitary walks along the sea.

Therre are some other forums at this site on food in PEI and Nova Scotia, when you get to trip planning.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1