The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Professional Hot Dogger

Brahma Bob

• Total Posts: 46
Professional Hot Dogger Wed, 12/10/03 5:30 PM (permalink)
Chicagostyledog is a professional hot dogger. I know because he's told us about his hot dog cart. Is there anyone else out there that does this for a living? John Fox, if you're not a professional I wouldn't be surprised. Why? Because only an amateur could pursue the hot dog in all its forms with such true passion (I can give no higher compliment). So, who else is a professional hot dogger?

Brahma Bob

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Wed, 12/10/03 7:59 PM (permalink)
    That depends...Do you provide these clients with something on or for their carts or businesses?

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      RE: Professional Hot Dogger Wed, 12/10/03 8:21 PM (permalink)
      Not a professional; but one day maybe.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
        RE: Professional Hot Dogger Wed, 12/10/03 10:44 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by John Fox

John Fox's hot dog shop!!!!Now THAT would be roadfood stop!!!Let me know John--i will be there!please.please--would you consider moving to Oklahoma!???

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
          RE: Professional Hot Dogger Thu, 12/11/03 11:41 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Brahma Bob

So, who else is a professional hot dogger?

Selling or eating?

Brahma Bob

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 12/13/03 5:36 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by clothier

quote:

That depends...Do you provide these clients with something on or for their carts or businesses?

I keep them from going to work naked.

Naked hot dog vendors, huh? Well, I'd say that you certainly supply a professional service to us all.

HungryStoner

• Total Posts: 3
              RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 12/13/03 7:38 PM (permalink)
              I'm Kind of a pro i sell thousands of them a year at yankee and shea stadiums. don't forget to tip your vendor next time your at the park you wont get that "odd" dog.

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
                RE: Professional Hot Dogger Mon, 12/15/03 11:27 AM (permalink)
                Well, here's a story about vending dogs.

My wife owned a catering business in the last century. She did a lot of catering to the motion picture producers in LA and when they did movie work in Minnesota.

One of the movies she did was one called "Drop Dead Gorgeous" There was a scene in it where the High School football team was playing a football game.
                My wife asked for some help because she had to feed about 2000 "extras", the kids in the stands.

She talked the producer into having her serve them Hot Dogs as a meal and have them eat them while they were in the stands and the food could double as props. She also suggested pop corn to go with the dogs.

Anyway, she bought a popcorn popper and used my Stainless Steel Barbeque grill and served 2000 folks small bags of popcorn and hot dogs.
                I think she had me cook over 3500 dogs that night and we sold them to the production company for a buck a piece!
                They gladly paid for it because they didn't have to stop filmimg and serve the extras a meal!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Professional Hot Dogger Mon, 12/15/03 7:31 PM (permalink)
                  Does a hot dog wannabe count? ha ha... Spent years on end perfecting my Chili Sauce recipe, reading every possible post / story ever related (and then some not so related)... Oh well, maybe in my next life.

Sundancer7

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Mon, 12/15/03 7:54 PM (permalink)
                    While in high school in the 1950's, I sold hot dogs at the University of Tennessee football games. I walked the stadium with a huge box attached to my bod selling these dogs for 50 cents a crack. I made about $10 a game and I got to keep leftover dogs. I took home about 25 every game and overdosed on dogs. With $10 in my pocket and a bunch of hot dogs, I felt rich.

I graduated from high school weighing about 125. They use to call me gone ass then. It has been downhill ever since.

Paul E. Smith
                    knoxville, TN

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Professional Hot Dogger Mon, 12/15/03 11:31 PM (permalink)
                      Downhill... Yup, one of lifes nifty little tricks... Eat and Eat.. Never gain a pound.. Then one day... ARGHHHHH!

WildWalker

• Total Posts: 47
                        RE: Professional Hot Dogger Fri, 01/23/04 4:17 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by John Fox

I'm selling about 25 a night (5-7pm),
                        recruiting additional volunteers.
                        Should not eat hot dogs myself because I am on a salt free diet.
                        So it is odd I ended up cooking, selling, and serving hot dogs to others.

I posted some info on the Lucky Cafe that serves food at a non-profit Bingo fundraiser for scholarships and good purposes under the topic Matlock hot dog.

Being a volunteer let me do something I'd be too inexperienced to do as a professional.

WildWalker,
                        Walking Wilderness, Wilding edible plants.

Brahma Bob

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
                          It's good to meet a fellow Californian. I'm in the Sacramento area but I may find myself in the San Rafael area on occassion. I'll make it a point to stop by and say howdy.

tiki

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 4:47 PM (permalink)
                            Any of you California folks know if TopDog in Berzerkly is still in business---it was on Durant i think,just a block east of Telegraph. Boy i miss that place---would pay double for a New York and a Calabrese!!!

spweimerskirch

• Total Posts: 29
                              RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 5:34 PM (permalink)
                              Doggin' is not my business, but more of a passion. I mean sure if you make our little friends on a day to day basis you have an idea of what both you and the public like, but to go in search of the perfect dog is a wee bit inspiarational as well. Who wins the Dogger or Pro Dogged? Needless to say I love them all, but clearly some are better than others.

Three Favorites:
                              1-Wrigley Dog acorss from the field,
                              2-Tony Packo's Toledo, Ohio,
                              3-Demon Dog's Depaul U.,

Love the topic. Think I might bust a couple dog's free as we speak...
                              Shannon

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                                RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 7:48 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

So, who else is a professional hot dogger?

This has been a dream of mine for a long time. I'm not joking. I live in a perfect climate where I could literally do this 365 days a year (except for hurricanes!). If anyone out there is considering selling a cart, please e-mail me. I am looking for a bargain -- and possibly a job that gets me outdoors -- and in the food biz!

WildWalker

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

It's good to meet a fellow Californian. I'm in the Sacramento area but I may find myself in the San Rafael area on occassion. I'll make it a point to stop by and say howdy.

Brahma,

I'd even come off diet long enough to go share companionship eating dogs somewhere. :-)

Somehow I could reveal enough of my identity for you to email me personnaly. :-)

On fourth Mondays, I'm the master of ceremonies of the local computer club's free public meeting at Marin Embassy Suites Hotel. They have a restaurant, but nothing under $17 on menu except ice tea. :-)

If you could manage a tuesday afternoon, come do hot dogs 4-7, it entitles you not only to the meal and drink, but a pass to the complete athletic club on premesis. So one could get a workout to burn off the calories of the dog. So that brings up the question if a sauna should be taken before or after eaten dogs, normally. :-)

I'm still working on picturing the Brahma. The vision fads in and out between a holy man and a bull. :-)

WildWalker
                                  Walking the Wilderness, Wilding edible plants.

WildWalker

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by tiki

Any of you California folks know if TopDog in Berzerkly is still in business---it was on Durant i think,just a block east of Telegraph. Boy i miss that place---would pay double for a New York and a Calabrese!!!

So nice to meet some folk who have a touch stone with this California coast. Seems far away from all the talk of the hot dog holy land of street purveyors in Chicago, etc.

A block east of Telegraph, that would be Bowditch.
                                    What a coincidence! I was president of a college fraternity with a house on the corner of Durant and Bowditch. But was TopDog on the LHS (Left Hand Side) half a block up from Telegraph, or was it on the RHS up further?
                                    On the south east corner of Bowditch and Durant is the Durant Hotel.

I'll check for TopDog next time I drop over there, which is usually weekly.

WildWalker

WildWalker

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sat, 01/24/04 8:51 PM (permalink)
                                      How would you all like to be served, and serve, hot dogs.
                                      I'm thinking about the wrapper. This place used to use folded wax paper for holding and passing the hot dog. Perhaps on a plate. I used a plate last week. Unfortunately this place had a mouse infestation, so the old folded wax papers might be contaminated. So I just didn't use them. So this week, I could buy new folded wax paper; paper plates; or 9" styrofoam boxes. The foam boxes are more expensive, but it would make for a nice clean way to add a dill spear on the side, etc.

Then I'm wondering about which condiments are serve yourself, and which are served applied. What is the thinking? Is it so much easier to preserve cleanliness and portion control to serve it to order, or do peope put out skirt bottles of mustard & ketchup.

WildWalker

tiki

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 12:57 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by WildWalker

quote:

So nice to meet some folk who have a touch stone with this California coast. Seems far away from all the talk of the hot dog holy land of street purveyors in Chicago, etc.

A block east of Telegraph, that would be Bowditch.
                                        What a coincidence! I was president of a college fraternity with a house on the corner of Durant and Bowditch. But was TopDog on the LHS (Left Hand Side) half a block up from Telegraph, or was it on the RHS up further?
                                        On the south east corner of Bowditch and Durant is the Durant Hotel.

WildWalker

That would be great--love to know if they are still there---ate there pretty regularly for a long time. BTW-Which frat- i used to cook for Theta Chi in berkeley--now THAT was an interesting job!!!

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
                                          RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 2:15 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

How would you all like to be served, and serve, hot dogs.
                                          I'm thinking about the wrapper. This place used to use folded wax paper for holding and passing the hot dog. Perhaps on a plate. I used a plate last week. Unfortunately this place had a mouse infestation, so the old folded wax papers might be contaminated. So I just didn't use them. So this week, I could buy new folded wax paper; paper plates; or 9" styrofoam boxes. The foam boxes are more expensive, but it would make for a nice clean way to add a dill spear on the side, etc.

Then I'm wondering about which condiments are serve yourself, and which are served applied. What is the thinking? Is it so much easier to preserve cleanliness and portion control to serve it to order, or do peope put out skirt bottles of mustard & ketchup.

WildWalker

At JCI in Houston, dogs are served in-house on porcelain plates - check out the pix on the website (click for enlargements and more examples): http://www.jamesconeyisland.com/menu.php

Dogs to-go are put in cardboard boats - see the tater tots pictured - the boat for the dog would be thinner and longer - then wrapped in oversized wax paper that is securely folded to prevent leakage. Larger than one orders to-go are put in appropriately sized boxes, lined w/wax paper. The dogs are covered w/wax paper and napkins are put on top of that, then the box is closed. Chili and Chili pie are served in porcelain bowls, tho not exactly like those pictured; to-go orders are in styrofoam cups.

You pass down a line; dogs are prepared to order. The condiments table offers plastic utensils, straws, packets of salt and pepper and sweetener for tea, etc.; there may also be those horrid tear-open packets of mayo or mustard, I can't recall, but these can be added to order as you go down the line. My choice would definitely be for 'made to order,' secondly those stainless pump devices for mustard, ketchup, etc., thirdly for squeeze bottles, and lastly for those individual portion packets (which are never large enough). I guess the advantage of the tear-open packs is they keep the condiments fresher. Almost all JCI's have drive-thru windows, so most people who want food to go use that rather than entering the restaurant.

I would think the cardboard boats for dogs would be ideal for you, needing no wax paper unless your dogs are so good people are taking them home in quantity.

BTW, I'm amused by the pix on the website. None of them show more than about 1/3 of the quantity of onions that is actually added to dogs or chili or chili pie, etc. at JCI .

b-n-kchefservice

• Total Posts: 69
                                            RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 2:50 AM (permalink)
                                            where would somebody go to get a hot dog cart if they wanted to be a pro dogger??

tiki

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 9:15 AM (permalink)
                                              try www.hotdogcarts.com or www.cmssytem.com and ebay,they have them all the time

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:

try www.hotdogcarts.com or www.cmssytem.com and ebay,they have them all the time

Ya, ebay has tons! Try using "hot dog cart" or "concession" in your search... Good Luck!

WildWalker

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by hermitt4d

At JCI in Houston, dogs are served in-house on porcelain plates - check out the pix on the website (click for enlargements and more examples): http://www.jamesconeyisland.com/menu.php

Dogs to-go are put in cardboard boats - see the tater tots pictured - the boat for the dog would be thinner and longer - then wrapped in oversized wax paper that is securely folded to prevent leakage. Larger than one orders to-go are put in appropriately sized boxes, lined w/wax paper. The dogs are covered w/wax paper and napkins are put on top of that, then the box is closed.

You pass down a line; dogs are prepared to order. The condiments table offers plastic utensils, straws, packets of salt and pepper and sweetener for tea, etc.; there may also be those horrid tear-open packets of mayo or mustard, I can't recall, but these can be added to order as you go down the line. My choice would definitely be for 'made to order,' secondly those stainless pump devices for mustard, ketchup, etc., thirdly for squeeze bottles, and lastly for those individual portion packets (which are never large enough). I guess the advantage of the tear-open packs is they keep the condiments fresher. Almost all JCI's have drive-thru windows, so most people who want food to go use that rather than entering the restaurant.

I would think the cardboard boats for dogs would be ideal for you, needing no wax paper unless your dogs are so good people are taking them home in quantity.

BTW, I'm amused by the pix on the website. None of them show more than about 1/3 of the quantity of onions that is actually added to dogs or chili or chili pie, etc. at JCI .

I guess it's always nice to deliver more onions or anything than advertised, no chance of less.

Great pix! Thanks. I found the HotDog menu pricing also very useful.
                                                  I serve a jumbo 1/4 lb Kosher Hebrew National, All Beef Polish Sausage 8" long" on a jumbo bun 8.5" long. The only boats I have found yet are only 6.5". But the long dog boat would be ideal.

WildWalker

WildWalker

RE: Professional Hot Dogger Sun, 01/25/04 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

quote:

quote:

WildWalker

That would be great--love to know if they are still there---ate there pretty regularly for a long time. BTW-Which frat- i used to cook for Theta Chi in berkeley--now THAT was an interesting job!!!

I can imagine that was an interesting job!!

Sigma Phi Epsilon
                                                    It may have moved at the time you were there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com