Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Finale

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
Re:Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Part 2 2010/02/28 11:14:06 (permalink)
Thursday February 11

A slightly stronger, although still mediocre Mexican blend at Dillworth Coffee House began the morning. Afterwards, Julianne and I parted ways in the early afternoon.  She had another doctors appointment in Stateville and I decided to spend the Afternoon in Charlotte prior to departing for Raleigh for the night as I had an "0-dark-thirty" flight out the next morning to Jacksonville.

My first stop for lunch was

Bill Spoon's Barbecue

An anomaly in Charlotte, Bill Spoons specializes in Eastern NC Style Q

The Q specifically reminds me of Parkers BBQ in Wilson which I went to over 7 years ago.

Note the bottle of the vinegar style Q sauce on every table.

I ordered the  platter which comes with mustard slaw and choice of side, I chose the traditional bbq potatoes.

The meal also comes with hushpuppies

Which are periodically refilled upon request. I think I actually enjoyed these hushpuppies more than the one s at Lexington BBQ

I also opted to get a side of rich n hearty brunswick stew to complete the meal

Although Bill Spoons was good, and is probably the only place in Charlotte where you're likely to find eastern NC Q, it still falls short compared to Allen and Sons and Wilbers.

After lunch, I had one last chance to play tourist.

I went to the Charlotte Museum of History

The museum itself covers Charlotte History specifically prior to reconstruction. Although there are two floors to the museum, I only had a chance to cover the first floor because I was short on time and also wanted to tour the Hezekiah Alexander Homesite located on Museum Grounds.

Dating to 1774 this is the oldest free standing structure in Charlotte. Our guide, dressed in periodic garb, advised that the tour was going to last 90 minutes. Unfortunately I could only stay for the first hour of the tour since I wanted to grab dinner and get into Raleigh at a decent hour.

Although no one really knew how Hezekiah Alexander looked, they decided to erect a statue of him anyway.

Our guide told us that this bell dates back as far as the Liberty Bell in Philly but the bell itself is even bigger.

The interior of the structure itself was quite fascinating with periodic furniture and appliances.

Afterwards I made my final stop in Charlotte.

Penguin Drive- In

I was specifically impressed with their interior

I ordered the big block burger "southern style"

Now, this is FAST FOOD BURGER.

There's  a big beefy presence that asserts itself over the pletora of toppings unlike those "so-called burgers" on the left  coast. Although I was quite impressed with this fine burger, I still think that The Char Grill in Raleigh had a slight edge.

After my early dinner, I took the 2 1/2 hour drive back to Raleigh, checked into the La Quinta near the airport and looked forward to the next leg of the trip.

This chapter ends this leg of the trip.

I'll eventually add photos to the Glee Club Charleston thread and then begin a new trip report for the Epilogue subtited "And then there were two"

post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/02/28 11:17:01
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
Re:Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Part 2 2010/02/28 11:24:47 (permalink)
wj -

Great looking burger...how much?  Is it 2 patties and double cheese and slaw or are there other times tucked in?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
Re:Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Part 2 2010/02/28 11:28:56 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

wj -

Great looking burger...how much?  Is it 2 patties and double cheese and slaw or are there other times tucked in?

Its two patties, cheese, slaw, chili, onions and mustard.  I added some ketchup too.

BTW

I still haven't hopped on a scale and its been 11 days since I've been back home!

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
Re:Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Part 2 2010/02/28 11:47:39 (permalink)
Had you followed my simple, yet rewarding diet plan, you would look that scale in the eye.  However, without me around, I see how easy you slip into a darkened, murky path of double chili, cheese burgers with slaw!  Probably a cream base to boot!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Part 2 2010/02/28 11:59:37 (permalink)
That big block burger looks fantastic, but I'm certain that eating one would lead to my immediate demise.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10085
Re:Prologue to 7th Annual Presidents Day Weekend Glee Club Event in Charleston 2010 Part 2 2010/02/28 15:58:49 (permalink)
WJ-
As good as that burger looks, how much of it were you really able to eat?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1