Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad

Author
Schmelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
2011/09/17 11:25:15 (permalink)

Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad

Hey guys....

I'm looking for some input as to what everyone uses or has used for propane deep fryers....

What kind/model do you have....What are you likes and dislikes....Any particular brand I should be looking out for ? Any particular brand I should be shying away from ? 

thanks,     Schmelly

25 Replies Related Threads

Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 11:34:14 (permalink)
    I'm posting some links on deep fryers I am looking at...If anyone has any input on any of them that would be great... 
    post edited by Schmelly - 2011/09/17 12:09:19
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 11:51:56 (permalink)
    post edited by Schmelly - 2011/09/17 12:08:03
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 11:53:25 (permalink)
    I don't know if there is one brand over another that is best but buy used. They aren't that hard to clean up with a steam cleaner or pressure washer. And the resale value will or could allow you to buy two for the price of a new one. It appears all of the links are the same unit, or am I doing something wrong here?
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/09/17 11:57:10
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 12:07:23 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

I don't know if there is one brand over another that is best but buy used. They aren't that hard to clean up with a steam cleaner or pressure washer. And the resale value will or could allow you to buy two for the price of a new one. It appears all of the links are the same unit, or am I doing something wrong here?

aww nuts...I used Search Tempest to search for fryers...I will have to try and repost these ads if I can.
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 13:40:53 (permalink)
    Schmelly

OK, here's the links :

1) http://nh.craigslist.org/bfs/2559477107.html

2) http://providence.craigslist.org/bfs/2564297845.html

3) http://providence.craigslist.org/app/2590232265.html

4) http://oneonta.craigslist.org/bfs/2538808410.html

5) http://newhaven.craigslist.org/bfs/2567678887.html

1st FRYMASTER brand, uses LP gas. model # gf14sc
    holds two basket, but not included. Frymaster is not a bad brand but what happened to the baskets? Usally knobs end up missing and they are expensive to replace. look up frymaster model number and find out how much oil it holds, and the date should be in the serial number will contain the year built, but he didn't provide it so call him or go look.

Pitco  is an excellent brand and they have a good reputation....sames as above serial number % build year

american range fryer....... this guy is the last I'd buy from. He most likely bought this at a auction or sale and is trying to turn a fast buck. American range isn't really a bad brand I have a nice stove top they build and have never had a problem with it.

The last unit doesn't list brand, how old, where it came from (so you can judge prior use )  and he can't operate a camera or Craigs List. LMAO he may be the easiest to get the price lowered on.

Buy the Pitco but low ball him, tell him your struggling to get open and have $325 cash in one pocket and tell him that;s all you have to spend. If he counters with $400 tell him you can't afford it but you sure like the fryer  but you only have so much money. If you have to walk away you can always go home and come  back or call in a day or two with another offer but a little higher.
    Good Luck

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/09/17 13:42:57
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 14:04:55 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Schmelly

OK, here's the links :

1) http://nh.craigslist.org/bfs/2559477107.html

2) http://providence.craigslist.org/bfs/2564297845.html

3) http://providence.craigslist.org/app/2590232265.html

4) http://oneonta.craigslist.org/bfs/2538808410.html

5) http://newhaven.craigslist.org/bfs/2567678887.html

1st FRYMASTER brand, uses LP gas. model # gf14sc
    holds two basket, but not included. Frymaster is not a bad brand but what happened to the baskets? Usally knobs end up missing and they are expensive to replace. look up frymaster model number and find out how much oil it holds, and the date should be in the serial number will contain the year built, but he didn't provide it so call him or go look.

Pitco  is an excellent brand and they have a good reputation....sames as above serial number % build year

american range fryer....... this guy is the last I'd buy from. He most likely bought this at a auction or sale and is trying to turn a fast buck. American range isn't really a bad brand I have a nice stove top they build and have never had a problem with it.

The last unit doesn't list brand, how old, where it came from (so you can judge prior use )  and he can't operate a camera or Craigs List. LMAO he may be the easiest to get the price lowered on.

Buy the Pitco but low ball him, tell him your struggling to get open and have $325 cash in one pocket and tell him that;s all you have to spend. If he counters with $400 tell him you can't afford it but you sure like the fryer  but you only have so much money. If you have to walk away you can always go home and come  back or call in a day or two with another offer but a little higher.
    Good Luck

lol yea...I called this joker and asked these questions with the following answers:
    Who makes this?  Don't Know

What model? Don't know

What year?  Don't know

How many BTU'S ? Don't know

Does it have a safety shut off valve? Don't know

He told me it was in a pizzeria, works great, and that I can e-mail him for information....lol, I didn't bother...What's that one comedian say? "You can't fix stupid"  lol

Thanks for your answers bbq....I may try your lowball approach...I also almost have to at this point....we've really strectched our recources to the max.
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 14:15:20 (permalink)
    Have you thought about using a countertop one? I know I haven't seen many LP countertops but I like them just to save space. Here is one I've been looking at lately:

My only issue is I have a single axle trailer so weight becomes an issue but one with a food truck I'm sure doesn't mind so much about weight.

Woops, looks like I still can't add links.

w w w. e b a y . c o m/itm/Vulcan-Hart-Deep-Fryer-ERD50-w-attached-dump-station-and-Marshall-Warmer-/220851963716?pt=BI_Commercial_Fryers&hash=item336bcd8744
    post edited by Warpig - 2011/09/17 14:17:33
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 14:34:03 (permalink)
    Warpig

Have you thought about using a countertop one? I know I haven't seen many LP countertops but I like them just to save space. Here is one I've been looking at lately:

My only issue is I have a single axle trailer so weight becomes an issue but one with a food truck I'm sure doesn't mind so much about weight.

Woops, looks like I still can't add links.

w w w. e b a y . c o m/itm/Vulcan-Hart-Deep-Fryer-ERD50-w-attached-dump-station-and-Marshall-Warmer-/220851963716?pt=BI_Commercial_Fryers&hash=item336bcd8744

I like it but with an attached dump station it will be too wide...I will be looking for a fry warmer though at some point which we need to put on a counter top.
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 14:42:29 (permalink)
    I asked someone else ($500 Pitco) if they knew if it has the emergency shut off valve and they didn't know....

Isn't this something that someone who owns a deep fryer should know ? 

Also, does NSF certified mean that it has one of the emergency shut off valves ?
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 15:14:11 (permalink)
    I have an imperial 95000 btu bought used from a shut down country club restaurant, bout 2-3 y/o works great only problem i've had with it onnce the pilot light would not work right come to find out the knob has to be in the exact postion to be right and the knob got broken some how .. i guess i stress tested it to much.. i change oil every week and deep clean at the same time, i've found that at sams they have a degreaser that works very well boil it out rinse it out and it's done .does an excellent job even on the built up stuff just peels right off with a scraper.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 16:31:54 (permalink)
    Emergency shut off valves go on the gas line not the fryer.  They are hooked up to your fire suppression system. They are a valve that shuts the supply of gas off to all your gas equipment if the fire suppression system is activated. They are expensive if bought new. And are rarely for sale on CL. A few show up on Ebay from time to time that's where I bought mine, and it took about 6 weeks to find one with a fair price. I know you don't want to hear that.

But didn't I read that someone was installing your fire suppression system, and hood? If so that should be part of it. I'd think your talking $200.00 for the valve new.
    In fact heres one on Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/A...mp;hash=item255a565368

Here is what your looking for but it's an 1 1/2 inch gas valve I bought a 3/4 inch because that's the size pipe I ran for my gas line. You need to ASK YOUR LOCAL fire inspector or building inspector if you can use a reducer to down size this to what ever size line your running, don't buy it before they say it's ok. It's cheap becuase it's way biger than what's normally used........................... here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...mp;hash=item2314451ef9
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/09/17 16:37:30
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 17:01:03 (permalink)
    bbq, I was talking about a temp sensor on the fryer that shuts the fryer down if it gets too hot.....Those valves that you are talking about ? Are they required in every state ? I have read parts of our cooking and fire codes and have not seen that ? 

Here's another link for another fryer...this one looks to be more modern with digital read out and audio...Anyone have thoughts on this one ?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/2556192608.html

EDIT: HEY BBQ, I just noticed this unit has the shut off...But this is an electric deep fryer...It shuts off the juice to the heating elements if it gets too hot...Maybe that's what I was thinking of...And I am not going with an electric deep fryer as I was told by the fire suppression unit guy that it would cost more for the fire system...Also I want propane for faster recovery time.....
    post edited by Schmelly - 2011/09/17 17:04:59
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2022
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/17 17:36:12 (permalink)
    Here we go again..... What you are talking about is a standing pilot assembly.
    This has been discussed here many times. It is not an emergency shut off.  Learn what it does.
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/18 09:38:42 (permalink)
    I installed a new Pitco unit this summer, works well.

FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/18 11:57:59 (permalink)
    I have had Frymaster fryers for 11 years now. They were used when I got them. Only problem I`ve had was having to replace the gas valves every 4 or 5 years ($200, GF14 series). I would assume this is normal. I don`t know. They`ve been hauled around on the rough roads of New Mexico, still light up every time I put a match to them. Maybe takes 15 minutes to get to 375 degrees.
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - the good & the bad 2011/09/20 14:14:27 (permalink)
    Well after calling  all around we decided we are going to go with a new deep fryer...We have it allocated in the budget and we found a new one for $700 with a one year warranty....

It can do 144 lbs of fries per hour

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPERIAL-ELITE-40-lb-GAS-FRYER-DEEP-FAT-FLOOR-EFS-40-/150609877931?pt=BI_Commercial_Fryers&hash=item23110c5bab#ht_4868wt_1037
    post edited by Schmelly - 2011/09/20 16:55:45
    louganne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/03 18:46:23 (permalink)
    my son and i want to start a business selling ribbon fries.  We want to attend a couple of festival during this summer.  We live in a small region and there is about 500 to 1000 visitors at each festival.  We have no equipment and will need to buy equipment-fryer, ribbon fry cutter.  here are my questions...
    1.we want to buy a propane fryer...how many btu do I need, how big the fryer should b and should i buy a counter top one or one with wheels?
    2. in the fryer what do we use; shortning or oil
    3. how many pounds of patato should i use
    4. at what tempature should i cook the fries
    5. how much should i sell the fries
    6. were can i buy on internet my plates, etc
    tks guys 
    BackAlleyBurger
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/03 19:07:58 (permalink)
    just off the top of my head.....

1- if your looking to do festivals, i would think propane would be an absolute need, any commercial electric deep fryer will surely be 220v at the least, and possibly even 3 phase depending on model..... your gonna have a heck of a time rounding that up at a festival...... propane works everywhere, any time..

2-for the ultimate best taste use "old school" regular ol' lard (rendered animal fat)..... duck fat is supposed to be the absolute ultimate, but pricey and unnecessary in a festival environment....

3-how many ribbon fries you want to sell ??

4-depends on your choice of potatoes really, and how thin cut, weight, etc.... anywhere from 250-325 is a good place to start

5-for as much as you can get without chasing customers away.... i would say, 3-5 dollars depending on your area  for a twisted tater on a stick...

6-most any concession supplier, catering supplier, just do a google for what you want to use and go from there...

i would say start with a counter top and go from there :) a little pricier then full size, but much easier to lug around and set up/tear down
    louganne
    Junior Burger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/03 20:50:03 (permalink)
    Thank you...you are a real help.
    I have another couple of questions...
    1. how big should i buy my propane tank, or should i have two
    2. i'm thinking of selling a plate of ribbon fries for 4.75$, what do you think
    3. if i have the choicie, should i cook inside the tent or outside.
    tks again!
    we will buy a nemco ribbon fry cutter and will look for a counter top fryer.
    if i cook outside, will i loose alot of heat from my fryer.
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/04 12:31:03 (permalink)
    Louganne, these questions are right up my alley.
    Here goes.
    If your going to do festivals, DON`T even consider an electric fryer. Can`t keep up. Besides, might not have electricity at event. See my post up above about type of fryers I have. Frymaster. Put your fryer on wheels. Much easier to haul.
     Propane, I have found a 20# bottle will last approx. 6 hours non-stop. Best bet is to have a 40#. for a one day event.
     Oil, cheap from Sams Club. Right now about $30 for 35 pounnd box. Do not use peanut oil unless your rich and you better have a sign posted your using it for customers to see.
    Potatoes. DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT if at all possible use taters from Wal-Mart or any other 2 bit grocery store. Get the best you can from a food distrutor. May pay a little more, but you`ll see there worth it in the long run. I purchase 90 count, 50 pound boxes from Ben E. Keith.
    Plates, from Wal-Mart. Cheap foam. I also put a piece of tissue paper on plate before putting taters on.
    Seasonings. Katsup, a couple of different type of hot sauces,maybe a little vinegar, salt, pepper, cajun seaoning. Few others.
    Pricing your ribbon fries. $5 bucks minumin. I use 2 90 count potatoes per order. If customer wants a half order (which I don`t advertise) it costs them $3.00. Do not sell anything at a festival which includes change. Stick strictly in whole dollar amounts.
    In New Mexico, I use a tent and the tent must be screened in. I cook inside. In wind, I sometimes prop several boards around the side of the lower part of the fryer to help keep wind away from the burners.
    You mentioned 500-1000 people showing up at this event. If I attended this event, I wouldn`t  take over 150 pounds of potatoes for a one day event. This you got to figure out yourselve. After 11 years doing taters, I still mess up once in a while and have to go buy them nasty taters from some 2 bit grocery store. If events are close enough, you can carry them over till the next event. If not, hope your family likes potatoes!
    PM me if you need more help. I`ll be glad to help you. But remember as I`ve always said, just don`t come down here in the badlands of New Mexico and try to take my spots!
    Good luck.
    BTW, taters on a stick (tornato Poatoes) take longer to fry than ribbon fries.
    louganne
    Junior Burger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/04 17:39:58 (permalink)
    tk you Fried Tater...don't worry about competition i live 200 miles north of Maine...i really APPRECIATE your help.
    i was thinking of buying paper plates on the internet.  do you think i could get something cheaper at at a sam's club?
    do you think i should cut the potato a couple of hours before the festival or i should cut them there?
    tk you so much
    louganne
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/04 20:06:03 (permalink)
    You want to cut the potatoes at the event IN FRONT of the customer. They`ll get a kick out of that. The taters will turn brown if cut ahead of time. Why you want to buy paper plates off the internet? Special design?
    Also, when you purchase you ribbon fry cutter, first thing you do is throw the manual handle away. Go to local hardware store and get a (I think) 5/16" coupler to thread onto the ribbon fry cutter where the handle went, then get about a 2 or 3" 5/16" bolt, cut the head off, and thread to the coupler. Attach drill to other end, variable speed is best but not required.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6474
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2012/02/04 20:15:09 (permalink)
    I did that to my pepper grinder

saves from ratcheting a million times
    Turtle66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Propane Deep Fryers - 1st time buyer and user 2014/02/12 13:27:33 (permalink)
    I know this is an ancient post but nonetheless very good helpful information... 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1