Propane manifold

Author
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
2013/05/28 04:39:02 (permalink)

Propane manifold

Hello,
I have been working on my new to me trailer and I'm at the point I need to do something with the propane.
It has had/does have propane plumbed in,It has black pipe under the floor then comes up though the floor,with regs on top of regs so it seems.then from there it has the flexible hoses for each appliance.
Now my questions are one I would like the black pipe to come up in a different place,and then go to a black pipe "manifold" with valves on each "hose" section so I can shut off hoses on equitment I don't plan on using right now.
My question is how have others build theirs? can anyone share detail photos of their set-up.I need to take this to my gas man this week.I start my season 6/6 I know cutting it close!

13 Replies Related Threads

kingofcreams
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/05/28 10:37:26 (permalink)
    daddywoofdawg

Hello,
    I have been working on my new to me trailer and I'm at the point I need to do something with the propane.
    It has had/does have propane plumbed in,It has black pipe under the floor then comes up though the floor,with regs on top of regs so it seems.then from there it has the flexible hoses for each appliance.
    Now my questions are one I would like the black pipe to come up in a different place,and then go to a black pipe "manifold" with valves on each "hose" section so I can shut off hoses on equitment I don't plan on using right now.
    My question is how have others build theirs? can anyone share detail photos of their set-up.I need to take this to my gas man this week.I start my season 6/6 I know cutting it close!

This is how I did mine. I am only feeding two things. A flat top and a deep fryer. The fryer doesn't need a reg installed ahead of it cause the gas valve has a regulator built in. I think all fryers do. You'll wanna confirm yours. I have a low pressure reg for the flat top. This is in addtion to the dual stage reg I installed right after the gas comes out of my tanks. Drops it down to 11"WC. You can see from mine that you could potentially have as many taps as you want with valves installed on them for future use by installing a tee and a valve for each appliance you want to feed.

post edited by kingofcreams - 2013/05/28 10:40:02
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/05/29 05:14:30 (permalink)
    Three questions:
    1. I have been doing all my own work and can easily put those parts together,Should I or take it to a pro?
    2.what is the pipe with the cap on it for?
    3.what are you using for tubing to connect to the fryer/flattop?
    kingofcreams
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/05/29 09:20:02 (permalink)
    daddywoofdawg

Three questions:
    1. I have been doing all my own work and can easily put those parts together,Should I or take it to a pro?

If you are capable then do it yourself. I did mine but I also have worked for a large metro area gas company. Just use good pipe dope on the threaded pipe and not the parts of flexible hose connections where they have compression or flare type fittings. Those are meant to seal themselves when tightened properly. You should also do thorough leak check using dish soap / water solution after pressure is applied to your pipes. With a brush of some sort apply the solution to all threaded connections and check for bubbles. 
    THe pipe pointing downward with the cap is a drip tee to catch any particles before the gas goes into the regulators / appliances. The tee that has the plug is just done this way incase I wanted to add something or whatever. I could just tap into this part of it. (at least I think thats what I was thinking, lol. Maybe I just didn't have other fitting so I used what I had.)
    Here is a pic of the tubing I used. They come with the silver fittings you see in the pic I posted on your thread yesterday and have swiveled flared ends installed on them already. On those ends with flare you do not put any dope or teflon tape on them(don't use teflon tape for gas in general). Only the non flared ends get dope. If you do dope them they will leak for sure. The tubing I purchased from Menards in the appliance installation section if I remember right. 

post edited by kingofcreams - 2013/05/29 09:25:26
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/05/30 00:57:45 (permalink)
    Thank you
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/06/04 19:35:51 (permalink)
    kingofcreams

daddywoofdawg

Three questions:

If you are capable then do it yourself. I did mine but I also have worked for a large metro area gas company. Just use good pipe dope on the threaded pipe and not the parts of flexible hose connections where they have compression or flare type fittings. Those are meant to seal themselves when tightened properly. You should also do thorough leak check using dish soap / water solution after pressure is applied to your pipes. With a brush of some sort apply the solution to all threaded connections and check for bubbles. 
    THe pipe pointing downward with the cap is a drip tee to catch any particles before the gas goes into the regulators / appliances. The tee that has the plug is just done this way incase I wanted to add something or whatever. I could just tap into this part of it. (at least I think thats what I was thinking, lol. Maybe I just didn't have other fitting so I used what I had.)
    Here is a pic of the tubing I used. They come with the silver fittings you see in the pic I posted on your thread yesterday and have swiveled flared ends installed on them already. On those ends with flare you do not put any dope or teflon tape on them(don't use teflon tape for gas in general). Only the non flared ends get dope. If you do dope them they will leak for sure. The tubing I purchased from Menards in the appliance installation section if I remember right. 

Where did you get the flexible hose?

Thanks,

Dave
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/06/04 20:37:37 (permalink)
    I found the same ones through the local propane supplier.  They had all the goodies but to be honest Home Depot and Lowe's has comparable flex hoses for cheaper.  With the water heater stuff.
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/06/04 20:46:11 (permalink)
    Yea, I've asked HD and Lowes about the yellow stuff and they said since natural gas flows at a lower pressure than propane, the hose is not rated for propane. Now, it might work anyway, but...
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/06/04 21:22:34 (permalink)
    I think they're pulling your pud...it's the same hose as seen above just coated with a yellow polymer...but either way looks like there are several companies that sell corrugated gas lines.  I even saw a few on ebay if you're interested.  Good luck
    PoppysDiner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/07/20 20:51:42 (permalink)
    I am setting up the propane in my trailer too and looking for an answer on a propane hookup. I am running a 36" grill and a 25# fryer both of these have built in regulators. So my question is do I still need some kind of manifold or regulator right after the tanks? if So does anybody have a recommendation for type and pressure that I need to be running?  In advance thanks for any info
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/07/20 23:41:18 (permalink)
    Welcome! Yes you'll need regulators at the tank and can just use a comparable manifold type system as seen above (appropriate size pipe with "T" fittings and proper end cap or 90 degree fitting for your termination/final appliance.

As for regulators look into dual stage-does your high pressure and low pressure in one unit. Quick, easy and clean. There are tons of informative sites on the net and you can find plenty just by searching for propane regulator. Just be sure whichever regulator you get will allow for the amount of BTUs your looking to pump out. Hope that helps!
    PoppysDiner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/07/22 10:53:36 (permalink)
    I am being told to run a 60,000btu fryer and a 60,000 btu grill I will need to run 2 tanks in tandem does that sound right?

Rcoy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/07/22 19:47:00 (permalink)
    That depends on tank size, among other factors.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Propane manifold 2013/07/23 11:50:39 (permalink)
    What size is your grill?  Not sure but that seems very reasonable-if not a little low...are you having two 100# tanks?  They can just be plumbed together using the regulators for each tank then then being plumbed into the same common black pipe line which then goes to your appliances.  You could get very decent burn time out of one 100# tank and with two you'll be able to go quite a bit of time before refilling on propane!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1