Proposed N.J. mini meets

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
2008/10/14 19:00:37 (permalink)

Proposed N.J. mini meets

Last year about 15 of us got together on Veterans Day to meet at Charlies Pool Room in Alpha, N.J. There are pictures and reviews in the archives of this thread. Veterans Day was on a Monday, a day that Charlies is closed but Joe and John Fencz opened just for our group. This year, Veterans Day is on a Tuesday. I spoke with Joe last week about a possible return visit to Charlies. For them it's a regular day that they will be open, but we are welcome to stop by. As you might know, they have a small kitchen with one frying pan, so if there are other customers, there might be a wait.

Many of us are off of work, so I wanted to get an idea of how many people might be interested in a return to Charlies Pool Room for their excellent hot dogs topped with Grandma Fencz's Hungarian sauce.

I've also been thinking about a trip to Amazing Hot Dog. Their Verona location closed down, but their newer Bound Brook location is open and going strong. It's run by Matt Applebaum (one of the original owners) and is one of the finer dog houses in N.J. It proved to be a popular stop on our Tour a couple of years ago. I was thinking about including it this past year, but it would have been difficult because it is located away from the other stops. Amazing serves a hefty quarter pound natural casing Sabrett dog that is fried. I've had it, and alone with just mustard on a Martins Potato Roll (perfect for this dog) it is delicious. Juicy, with a great texture and flavor. But you are not limited to just mustard. Amazing Hot Dog is known for the widest varieties of toppings and combinations that you will find at a hot dog restaurant. Check the choices at http://www.amazinghotdog.com. Although I haven't tried most of them (I prefer my dog with just mustard most of the time) I know that they are all homemade and of the highest quality. I've enjoyed their Reuben Dog as well as their Caped Crusader (chili and slaw). Their chili is one of the finest I've sampled. Rich with a touch of chocalate. A popular choice is their New Jersey Breakfast dog which comes with a fried egg and cheese.

I was thinking that we could visit Amazing Hot Dog and perhaps the nearby Middlesex Texas Weiner on a Sunday in November or December. I'll be away the weekend of the 9th and Matt won't be around the following Sunday (the 16th). The 23rd looks like a good day. The following weekend is Thanksgiving Weekend.

Is anyone interested in a small trip to Amazing Hot Dog (and perhaps Middlesex Texas Weiner) Suday, Nov. 23rd? Or a Sunday in early December? We would meet at the Galloping Hill Inn and carpool. Or else just meet at the restaurant.

I've posted this on the Misc and Food Related forum under Tours, but thought it should be posted here as well so that it can be seen by those who don't usually peruse that forum.

19 Replies Related Threads

John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/14 21:25:25 (permalink)
    John
    Unless something comes up I'm in. If your doing Amazing on a Sunday I'll meet you there. I'm only 20 minutes away.

John
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/14 22:17:26 (permalink)
    Yep, high time we visited again with Joe and John at Charlie's Pool Room. I'm in. Unfortunately we won't be able to combine it with a trip to Toby's Cup...which is closed on Tuesdays.

The Bear
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/15 17:16:55 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be able to make the Veteran's Day trip, I have work that day, but I'd be up for a Middlesex Trip on a Sunday on November or December.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/15 17:35:30 (permalink)
    I am going to try to make it on Veterns day, 11/11/08.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/15 19:45:56 (permalink)
    I've run this (the Veteran's Day idea) by Brian briefly, and will probably have him read this thread and discuss further. Also, I didn't forget about your email, and I've read so much about Charlie's (I also LOVE to watch poolshooters!) that I'm really interested to go there. I still have 5 vacation days left this year that I can carry over to next year!

Also I've read before about Amazing Hot Dog, and that sounds great, too. See, I'm glad you mentioned a Sunday, because that's just more a day when we go out and do things. We ran around all last winter and did things, no matter what the weather was.

So this will be a discussion-in-progress, and I'll continue to follow this thread. I hate waiting a whole year for this sort of thing.

I'll let you know as soon as I can.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/15 19:58:22 (permalink)
    harriet1954, If I were to give you advice, well...I guess I am giving you advice, don't miss Charlie's Pool Room.

John Fox, What time at Charlie's pool Room? And Also, thank you for taking the time to do this.

Benzee, Make sure you bring, Uncle Buck!

Joe and John, warm up that fryin pan, I'm comin' hungry!
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/15 20:23:34 (permalink)
    I'll have to pass on Charlie's this year, I have to work, but I'm no longer in that area. Say hi to Joe and John for me. I'm interested in the Middlesex trip, I'll keep the group posted.

Dave
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/15 21:46:37 (permalink)
    <<I also LOVE to watch poolshooters!) >>

Harriet, yes there's a pool table, but as for watching poolshooters I think you'd be out of luck. I've been there twice and I've never seen the pool table used for anything except an extra table to eat at. But, Go, for the hot dogs and the atmosphere. And stop at some pool room on the way home.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/16 16:20:27 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Unfortunately I will miss the Charlies meet if you have it on Veterans Day this year . I will be working one week VAC to build up the pension for retirement and thats the week UGGHH!!!!
    I'm up for the other but the 10th to 14 of Nov is def. out for me .
    Any other suggestions like Charlies on a Sat I'm up for .
    For any others reading this Charlies Pool Room is a must experience . Grandmas Hiungarian Sauce is the finest I've ever had .

Benzee
    John Fox
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/10/16 19:17:16 (permalink)
    Saturday is bad for me as I work, and Joe and John prefer that we come any other day as Saturday is their busiest day and there would be quite a wait. As far as these Tours, we'll look at the response. We don't have to do both. I was really looking forward to Amazing Hot Dog on a Sunday, as it's been awhile since I've been there and a couple of years since I've been to Middlesex Texas Weiners.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/06 09:25:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joerogo

I am going to try to make it on Veterns day, 11/11/08.

On or Off?
    John Fox
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/06 17:36:18 (permalink)
    Don't think I can make Veterans Day this year. So I'm out. I definitely plan on going to Amazing Hot Dog and Middlesex Texas Weiner on Nov. 23rd. I think there might be more interest in this trip. It's on a Sunday. Anyone still interested in Charlies, please post here. I know Joerogo has been there and some of you who haven't will enjoy this place.
    John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/08 00:44:31 (permalink)
    John

I'm in for the 23rd and I spoke to Matt from Amazing Hot Dogs and asked him
    if I was to bring in three different hot dog chilis to have the group do a chili
    tasting, for their opinion. If its alright with everyone. Matt said no problem
    and he'll heat up the hot dog chili. He'll also join in the tasting party.

So after we eat at Amazing we could do the chili tasting.

John
    John Fox
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/08 08:24:21 (permalink)
    Great! Looking forward to it.
    Benzee
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/08 10:47:23 (permalink)
    Hello all

I have to work my vacation next week ao I will unable to make a Charlies meet .
    The 23rd is looking good .Thanks to both Johns for setting this up . For those that have not tried John Sagis homemade chili , its worth the trip itself . Add in Amazing Hot Dog and its fine hands on owner Matt and you have the makings of a great day .
    We will need exact address for Amazing Hot Dog location and times to meet .
    Also might as well start getting a list of attendees together .
    I think we can talk Coney Island Lou into this one .

Will have to look at my schedule to see when I can make a Charlies meet . Saturdays are good for me but it is reportedly crowded on that day .

Benzee

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/08 11:50:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Benzee

Will have to look at my schedule to see when I can make a Charlies meet . Saturdays are good for me but it is reportedly crowded on that day .

Benzee

If it's busy, that just means we'll have to sit and shoot the breeze while we wait.
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/09 01:11:04 (permalink)
    I'm interested in joining you guys on the 23rd, might even be able to bring a coworker who was interested after I mentioned about going on the NJ Hot Dog Tour in Sept.

Dave
    Benzee
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2008/11/09 21:48:47 (permalink)
    Dave ,

Glad you might be able to make it buddy . I'm looking forward to seeing as many roadfooders as possible that day .

Benzee
    adeptone
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Proposed N.J. mini meets 2009/01/14 12:44:59 (permalink)
    Concerning a possible mini tour, John Fox & John Sagi - I was talking to Matt at Amazing last night, and wanted to forward a possible date for a mini tour - February 15, 2009.  Now that Matt has closed his shop on Sundays, it would be possible for him to join us, and many of us have off the following day for the observed Washington's birthday.

It appears the tours have headed east into Jersey - what about heading west, and possibly passing into Pennsylvania for some of the shops in Easton, Bethlehem, and Allentown (not that I condone what Yocco's does to a hot dog)?

Just floating the idea out there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1