Providence R. I.

Author
JuneB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2003/07/31 10:34:14 (permalink)

Providence R. I.

Going to a National Police Convention in the main area of Providence, 8/3-8/7. Dinners are planned but our group has "lunch on our own."
Our Deligation will have a passenger van. Dear Foodies, please suggest places to go.....

16 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 10:58:05 (permalink)
    Al Forno - the best in Providence.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 11:22:18 (permalink)
    I vote Al Forno too.....it's excellent.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 11:33:29 (permalink)
    There are suggestions for Providence and the surrounding area in another topic: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=835.
    You might find some ideas there - most of the places listed are good for lunch, though check on their hours. There's definitely a lot of roadfood type places to be found here and that topic will point you to some.

As for other suggestions, I'd first want to know what type of food or experience you are looking for and in what sort of price range.

Al Forno is certainly a great restaurant, though many (including myself) think they've slipped a little; but the wait can be excessive and service sometimes poor and they are not open for lunch.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 11:59:49 (permalink)
    Casserta's Pizza for decent "Rhode Island Style Pizza.
    For good mom n pop Italian, I would recommend Angelo's Civita Farnese located in federal hill.
    For a more formal lunch, Marzilli's Old Canteen also on Federal Hill has reasonable lunch specials.
    If you make it to the eastside, I would recommend Spike's Junkyard Dogs for a huge selection of plump hot dogs served on italian grinder rolls dresses with a huge selection of condiments or Antonio's for decent NY Style Pizza
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 12:18:21 (permalink)
    Since wanderingjew has mentioned Caserta's, I'll repeat what I wrote in the other thread mentioned above: their pizza is not as good as it used to be, but the pepper pig (calzone with italian sausage, green peppers and a smidge of tomato sauce) is terrific and well worth checking out.

Spike's also has locations near the intersections of Branch Ave and Charles St. and in Cranston (just south of Providence) on Resevoir Ave., in addition to their East Side (Thayer St.) location.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 15:02:37 (permalink)
    Is New York System Hot Dogs still open? Great coneys. And be sure to get a Del's Lemonade, they're all over the area.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 16:19:24 (permalink)
    There are a bunch of different New York System places - I don't know of any that have closed. The Smith St. New York System was the first, I believe, and it's fun, but Olneyville offers more of an adventure.
    jackier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/07/31 21:29:48 (permalink)
    If you're a fan of Indian food, you might try INDIA, the one on Hope Street. They have a really reasonable lunch (brunch weekends) buffet, and the space is lovely. Great mussels! Wonderful appetizers!
    Ralph Cramden
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/03 12:19:42 (permalink)
    I definitely endorse Al Forno. Expensive but very good. Also enjoy the deep dish pizza at Sicilia on Atwells Avenue in Federal Hill although you have to be very patient but what our family enjoys most in Providence is Sciola Brothers bakery just up the block from Sicilia on Atwells Avenue. If you are looking for a great Italian bakery......you found it.

Thank you for your service JuneB.
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/07 16:46:08 (permalink)
    What do you think of Haven Brothers? Where is the best place for fresh fish (haddock, cod, flounder, etc.) that doesn't cost a fortune?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/08 07:36:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by St. Louis Browns fan

What do you think of Haven Brothers? Where is the best place for fresh fish (haddock, cod, flounder, etc.) that doesn't cost a fortune?

One of the better places for really good seafood is not in Providence proper. In fact, it's not even in the suburbs, it's out in the "boonies" in North Kingstown. Duffy's Tavern has been around for over 30 years, and I've never known anyone to complain about their seafood. Last time I was there I had an excellent Swordfish. They also have "quahog chili" on their menu, this is chili, but chopped quahogs (or clams for you non Rhode Islanders) replace the meat! It's pretty good with a Newport Storm (local microbrew)
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/08 10:23:17 (permalink)
    I love Haven Brothers, though I haven't been in a few years. They were of course a staple of misspent youth in Rhode Island. I also used to hit them earlier in the evenings when I would walk home - during the colder months they are out by City Hall by 5 or so, making it an easy stop before the evening scene developed. But there's still no place better to have a burger with drunks and bikers.

Seafood in Providence? You can get it, but I'd go along with wanderingjew and recommend looking out of town. I've never been to Duffy's, though I've been by it plenty of times and have heard only good things about their food. Other places I'd recommend, apologies for repeating some favorites:

Horton's Seafood, Broadway, East Providence - just seconds away from the East Side of Providence, across the Seekonk River, is this clam shack in an urban setting. Everything you'd expect from shore dining - fried and baked fish, clams, scallops, etc., clamcakes, stuffies and so on. Very good, reasonably priced. High quality root beer bottled for them, average french fries. Closed Sundays and Mondays, I think. Check them out at http://www.hortonsseafood.com/

Ye Olde English Fish and Chips, Market Sq., Woonsocket: The best fish and chips I have ever had or hope to have. Try the fish cake. Closed Sundays and Mondays, short to nonexistent evening hours most other days.

Skip's Dock, Old Succotash Rd., East Matunuck (South Kingstown) - It doesn't get any fresher. This is right on the docks, just across the water from Galillee. The boat comes up, unloads and the fish goes on sale. I've actually requested something and been asked to wait, until they could cut it, as they were just then unloading it. Skip's used to only operate as a fish market, but starting this year they are serving meals at small tables on the dock. Eat outside by the water, watching the boats, on great seafood; a bit more expensive, but worth it.

Main St. Seafood, Wakefield (South Kingstown) - another fish market/restaurant. In town (such as it is), pleasant indoor seating, great fish. The best fish chowder I've ever experienced, rich and full of seafood. I'm not sure about the hours.

Aunt Carrie's (reviewed on this site) is a fun place to go, with decent clam cakes, great atmosphere and a wonderful dining room, but the food is pricey and not really exceptional (though they have their moments.) Get clamcakes or something at the takeout and go down the street to Pt. Judith Lighthouse to snack. And there are tons of other clam shacks and so on to try, not to mention the plethora of Portuguese restaurants with good seafood once you head to the East Bay...but that's enough for now.

JL
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/08 19:07:55 (permalink)
    Home Sweet Home, back from Rhode Island. Thank you for the kind words Ralph Cramdon.

Now my Foodie Report : It was a police conference so we were taken on an Irish Heritage Tour, never saw so many Irish Pubs in such a small area! Then taken to Foxwoods....Gamble there, eat elsewhere. Many restaurants in the Federal Hill area, one was just as good as another...pricy though. I did not hear anything about New York Systems hot dogs, the locals looked at me like I was nuts.
    The highlight....The Nordic Lodge. All you can eat Lobster sigh..... a once in a lifetime visit.
    This was the first Fraternal Order of Police Conference since 9/11, as they are every two years, It was Serious Business. Thank you for all your suggestions
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/08 19:26:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    BarbPick writes I did not hear anything about New York Systems hot dogs, the locals looked at me like I was nuts.

How odd. They're all over the greater Providence area. There was even a big article on them in the ProJo a few weeks back. Heck, I knew about them long before I ever had one - I remember riding in the back seat as a kid and seeing the signs saying "New York System" and wondering what the heck that was all about. Oh well. Hope you enjoyed yourself, though.

JL
    JuneB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/08 20:12:22 (permalink)
    Seems BarbPick got back before I did. Was nice to see you in R.I.

We took a train last night into Boston, and ate at the Quincy Market, then saw the Red Socks win.

We really enjoyed the "Chowdah Houses".

Ralph Cramdon, thanks a lot for your comment.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Providence R. I. 2003/08/09 12:20:04 (permalink)
    Just spent 24 hours in Providence and would highly recommend the oft-praised in these parts:

HAVEN BROTHERS DINER. A truck downtown each evening for their excellent cheeseburgers with everything.

IGGY'S DOUGHBOYS on the water in Warwick for the scenery, the cool snail salad and fried "doughboys" with lots of sugar on top.

And if you're heading south...ALLIE'S DONUTS, Route 2 in North Kingstown makes a frosted maple that will have your head spinning! Friendly service too, Roadfood of the First Rank!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1