Puddin Meat

Author
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2005/09/01 10:57:23 (permalink)

Puddin Meat

Had lunch at the Hi Neighbor cafe in Strassburg, VA a while back. As we were leaving we noticed an old, hand printed cardboard sign that proudly proclaimed "We have Puddin' Meat." We didn't have time to inquire about it, but its bothered me ever since. Anybody know what it is? I'm guessing some cousin of scrapple.
The Hi Neighbor is a stop I've made a few times. Breakfasts are great, for the rest of the day stick to the specials. Their BBQ sandwich is embarrassing, and my significant other glanced at her chicken salad sandwich and proclaimed "canned." Our first trip I had the fried chicken special for lunch. Amazing. Two pieces of great chicken, homemade mashies and gravy with two more veggies, and a slab of pretty good sweet cornbread. With tea the bill was under six bucks.

6 Replies Related Threads

Drewmcdan1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Puddin Meat 2005/09/02 23:25:55 (permalink)
    I think you are correct. Here in Central Pa at the farmers market, they look like pretty close cousins. Both are made in foil pans and have a similar grey color. While I eat scrapple, never had the nerve to ask about the difference.
    gottatravel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Puddin Meat 2005/09/02 23:43:14 (permalink)
    Once when I bought homemade scrapple at the Green Dragon Market in Ephrata PA I was given pan pudding by mistake. It does look like scapple but seemed to be a bit more course.
    When I tried to fry it it did not hold together like scrapple but became more like a hot pudding.
    I asked the vendor the next time I went there and she said puddin can be eaten like that or over potatoes or toast or whatever.
    Hope this helps.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Puddin Meat 2005/09/03 06:20:04 (permalink)
    I went to the Green Dragon once about 15 years ago quite the place I went home {back to the hotel} with 2 loaves of bread one huge pie, other assorted pastries,farm fresh butter,and some local cheese. My wife caught me loading the car and reminded me that we were staying in a hotel OH! forgot the bacon , that bacon was the best I've ever had. Ate lunch there and that was great, trying to talk my wife into going back but she says we would need a larger car. A true Roadfood find. I thought I hit the mother load there. Ciao Jim {chow}
    laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Puddin Meat 2005/09/13 10:07:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. I'm sleeping better at night now. Sounds as if it was just as well to pass on the puddin meat. While I'm not afraid of store bought scrapple, I find that making your own is a lot tastier and leaves less to the imagination.
    kiddevil
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Puddin Meat 2006/10/21 15:19:22 (permalink)
    Does anyone know how to make Puddin or maybe another favorite of mine Butcher Bologna
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Puddin Meat 2006/10/21 21:46:59 (permalink)
    Before I married my husband (43 years ago) I would sometimes eat meals at the home of my future in-laws. One of the things they liked was "pudding and balls." That was pudding and hominy. Pudding is pork parts from butchering I never knew what parts it involved, but was probably better off not knowing.Pudding is congealed in a pan, much like scrapple. I tried to eat it, mama and daddy having taught me to be polite, but it was hard to do. Since I was born in Tennessee, I was not familiar with that dish. I never want to eat it again. Since that time I have learned to eat scrapple (corn meal mush with pork broth and meat) but pudding will never again pass my lips. It is just plain nasty.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1