Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
2003/08/12 12:04:29 (permalink)

Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork

Yesterday I found a nice pork butt and proceeded to get it ready for the BBQ. My first thought was to do a pulled pork Carolina style, with a vinegar sauce. As I read recipes (thanks Stogie!) I got more confused, NC style vs. SC vs. Arthur Bryants, chopped pork etc. What are your favorites? Is it strictly a regional thing or do your favorite places do a chopped rather then pulled pork with sauces? Is the meat the same except with different sauces, and what are your favorite sauces----and recipes? And my big dilemna-----do I shred it or do I chop it? I wound up trying it with a vinegar sauce and it's delicious (should be after 10 hours of smoking!) but now I want to try it again in some other styles. Suggestions and recipes anyone?

51 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7898
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 12:24:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails
    . Arthur Bryants chopped pork

Does Arthur Bryants do chopped pork? I always thought beef brisket and ribs were their thing
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 13:12:56 (permalink)
    It's strictly a regional thing in preference, but I like mine usually chopped in pieces a bit larger than you'd find in a restaurant. What distinguishes one from another is the way it's prepared. The sauces are applied at the end or just let the consumer put sauce on. Sauces are another distinction - myriads of choices and flavors. Rubs, marinades, mops, all characterize the BBQ. I usually slather my pork shoulders w/ yellow mustard, then apply a rub, then smoke for however long is needed (@ about 200 deg.). Let it stand for an hour or so, then chop for serving. I chop it thicker, and any leftovers go into my brunswick stew through a coarse grinder. You made me hungry Ed, guess I'll smoke something this weekend.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 13:32:11 (permalink)
    Wandering.....
    Arthur Bryants offers SLICED pork. It is machine sliced about "Arby's" Thickness. While it does make a great stack on a sandwich, I prefer a thicker slice, or better yet, chunks of shoulder.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 14:37:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails
    . Arthur Bryants chopped pork

Does Arthur Bryants do chopped pork? I always thought beef brisket and ribs were their thing

Should have put the comma in----Arthur Bryants, chopped pork etc.

It's those little grammar gremlins messing with my mind again!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 15:28:23 (permalink)
    Sliced by far......had chopped Sunday night from a restaurant, just always seems too dry, but then I guess thats the restaurants fault. Even their "wall of hell"(150 different hot sauces)didn't do too much good. Doing two butts myself this weekend and can't wait!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 16:05:55 (permalink)
    In my restaurant I did NC pulled pork, but would braise the pork first before smoking it. It was so juicy and succulent that my cooks (and me) had to pull off a piece as it was cooling.....a great scoobie snack. And the vinegar-based BBQ was perfect with it. My recipe starts off with 40 dried anchos and 60 cloves of garlic.........if anyone is interested I could always scale it down. Hmmmmm....maybe I'll do a butt this weekend too!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 16:16:10 (permalink)
    Another question as I dig into the fine points of pulled pork. What is the history of putting cole slaw on the sandwich? Do you put it on all types or just the Carolina style ones? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 19:37:04 (permalink)
    Ed...

Chopped and pulled are really the same thing. MOST restaurants chop the pork, simply because it is much easier and faster. MOST of us backyarders pull because we are only doing a few at a time. I can get pretty anal about picking out large pieces of fat and that is another reason I pull....more control over the final outcome.

For the most part they also use the same meats. Though you will find that in the Carolina's they tend to use the whole hog and chop it up. But, most use either whole shoulders or butts.

The regional differences have to do with the type of sauces used. The cole slaw is also a regional thing. You will very rarely find slaw served on a pork sammich outside the southeastern region of the US.

Now, I am broad stroking things here so don't take this literally. With as often as folks move these days, you will find joints that carry their regional "roots" with them to other regions.

Here is the best site for recipes that are found in the regions of the US.........

http://bbqcentral.hypermart.net/amregions/overview.htm

I personally use slaw with all types of sauces, but only with pork. I like the creamy, slightly sweet slaw and it goes great with pork, but I don't care for it on other sammiches.

Stogie
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/12 20:24:04 (permalink)
    Stogie,
    Followed your recipe for the mop with one exception-----I used beer instead of apple juice with the olive oil and vinegar (ok, I didn't feel like driving to pick up apple juice after a few Firestone Ales!). It seemed to work out well. That website looks great----I will look at it more at length.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/13 08:37:40 (permalink)

I personally use slaw with all types of sauces, but only with pork. I like the creamy, slightly sweet slaw and it goes great with pork, but I don't care for it on other sammiches.

Stogie

I like the western (or Lexington) North Carolina Q with "red slaw", where they use some of the sauce instead of mayonaise or pure vinegar in the slaw. Incidentally, Lexington style cooks only pork shoulders, eastern NC style uses the whole hog and mayo slaw.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/13 09:07:40 (permalink)
    When I cook pork butts on my smoker, I make pulled pork for serving to guests. I chop pork that I use in beans, brunswich stew, etc. Sliced just does not fit my fancy. Plus, it is a slightly different cooking process. But in the end, great BBQ is all I care about!

John
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/13 11:54:55 (permalink)
    The restaurant pork I was speaking of in the post above automatically serves cole slaw on the sandwich. If you don't want it you must specify. In this case it's a grand improvement and the only restaurant in Gainesville that serves sandwiches that way.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/21 16:27:19 (permalink)
    In c. 30 yrs. in West TN I don't think I ever ate bbq without slaw on the sandwich. If you had ribs, slaw was served on the side, and in either case barbecued beans (ranging from canned to wonderful) were served on the side. Pork was the only thing I ever saw barbecued there, except for some new folks who did cabrito once.

Incidentally, and very oddly, some of the best ribs I've ever eaten come from a grocery store! It's Brookshire's, out of Texas (Tyler?), and the only store I've seen them in is the smaller of two in Natchitoches, LA.

At 6:00 I'm headed for a cochon de lait evening. Envy me!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/21 16:46:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

In c. 30 yrs. in West TN I don't think I ever ate bbq without slaw on the sandwich. If you had ribs, slaw was served on the side, and in either case barbecued beans (ranging from canned to wonderful) were served on the side. Pork was the only thing I ever saw barbecued there, except for some new folks who did cabrito once.

Incidentally, and very oddly, some of the best ribs I've ever eaten come from a grocery store! It's Brookshire's, out of Texas (Tyler?), and the only store I've seen them in is the smaller of two in Natchitoches, LA.

At 6:00 I'm headed for a cochon de lait evening. Envy me!

Everytime I ever participated in a cochon de lair, it was as much for male bonding as it was for the BBQ. We generally drank our fill of adult beverage long before the small pig was thoroughly BBQ's

Enjoy

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/26 20:22:47 (permalink)
    Maybe a little unorthodox, but try this on for size:

ELISE'S PIT BBQ SAUCE

1/4 cup butter

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon molasses

2 Tablespoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon Tabasco

1 teaspoon onion juice

1/2 lemon (both its juice and rind)

Cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/27 02:32:49 (permalink)
    AH! Cochon de lait.......one of my favorite restaurants serves it as their specialty and I adore it. Pig, whether pulled, chopped, smoked, BBQ'd or roasted whole.......ROCKS!!!!
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/28 21:14:47 (permalink)
    I've always preferred pulled pork only because I think the texture absorbs more sauce. Yummy.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/08/29 00:49:03 (permalink)
    I always "pull" my pork shoulder/butt after Q'ing it but for a sandwich I usually coarse chop it and then sauce it. My wife prefers to just eat it pulled.
    JWatson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/09/22 23:44:04 (permalink)
    I have been making a sauce that is somewhat of a combination of a true Lexington/ western NC sauce and a SC (mustard-based sauce). Since I'm from NC but now live in SC, this has been a really big hit with friends and family so far. Basically its a lexington style sauce with just a hint of yellow mustard added.
    The sauces in NC are very regional, and you'll notice a regional difference usually from county to county.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/09/23 21:23:55 (permalink)
    Mmmmmmmmmmm I'm a pulled and/or chopped finely girl all the way. Like Stogie , I prefer to get as much fat out as possible.(now if it's crusty fat, that's a whole 'nudder ballgame" Also, I do mine with several sauces availiable for the varying tastes. I do a very vinegary one, a very brown sugary one, a spicy fire eating one, a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmustard one and a ketchupy Pittsburghian type for the small fry always in attendance.I also do a creamy-vinegary-sweet coleslaw as well as a bbq sauce based one.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/09/23 23:35:38 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I can't help but throw in "Ed Sails In The Sunset; Way Out On The Sea" for effect. - My favorite version of that of all time is by The Five Keys on Aladdin. I have it on an LP; the 45 single fetches close to a thousand bucks nowadays.
    Regards this bit of debate, as much as I've travelled the South and eaten every regional barbecue style and sauce style except mutton with black dip (and can't wait to try that with some real burgoo!), I have to say that I prefer mayonnaise slaw and mustard-based sauce made with brown mustard, with a good hit of Worcestershire tossed in. Now that'll make a pork shoulder... or even a whole hog... sing!
    After a moment's thought, I know why livermush is so common in Western North Carolina and so uncommon in the Eastern end of the state: those Easterners use the entire hog; the Westerners don't, so they had to figure out something to do with all that leftover pork liver. The dogs wouldn't eat it, and the cats had packed their bags and left in disgust long before that.
    Pitting Myself Against The "Anything Will Do To Cook In" Crowd, L-Shaped (While Sitting To Type), Somewhat Rocky Ort. Carlton in Old-Timey-Pit-less Athens, Georgia.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/09/24 01:06:24 (permalink)
    As someone said on another thread, "Heresy! Apostacy! Sacrilege!" And probably a whole lot more in that vein. Anyhow, I have been known to smoke a butt, then pull and slice the meat off and toss it into my trusty 1983-vintage Sunbeam food processor and get it down to a nice state of chunkiness. Nobody--so far--has been able to tell the difference between mine and more traditionally prepared BBQ.

I make my living doing theology, and am not terribly interested in adding BBQ to my list of theological conundra; I just look for the flavor and follow it. Friends, technique has to take a back seat to flavor!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/09/24 09:25:11 (permalink)
    I like pulled pork at "Interstate" or "Corky's" in Memphis; burnt ends at "Snead's" near Kansas City; pork ribs at "Letha's" in Hattiesburg, MS (formerly in Columbia, MS), "Bubba's" in Jackson, MS, "Arthur Bryant's" and "Gates" in Kansas City; beef ribs at some all you can eat place in downtown Fort Worth (don't remember the name); brisket at "Sonny Bryan's" in Dallas or "Angelo's" in Fort Worth; Sliced pork at "Bridges BBQ Lodge" in Shelby, NC; chopped "lean brown" (the outside layers of pork shoulder cooked over wood coals) at Honey Monk's "Lexington # 1" in Lexington, NC; and chopped eastern North Carolina style at "Wilber's" in Goldsboro, NC. Being an old Tarheel, the last 3 are my favorites.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2003/10/17 17:54:34 (permalink)
    (Posted previously under Breakfast)

"You all pulled my pork better than any place I've ever been."
    -- Actor BILL MURRAY to a waitress in Chubby's Southern Barbeque in Emmitsburg, Md., after leaving a $30 tip for a $20 pulled pork dinner, according to The Washington Post.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2004/07/30 16:01:04 (permalink)

I am bringing back this topic because I want to comment on a sale going on in our area...and this is the closest I can find without starting a whole new thread.
    Our local grocery has large pork butts on sale this week for 89 cents a pound. I have ordered 8 of them (6 lbs or larger each). Some will go in the freezer, but Monday should turn into a start up the smoker day. By Wed. of next week I will have 4 or 5 done and stored.
    Now that is what I call taking advantage of the local market !! We don't chop the meat, but pull it off in chunks and slice thickly any unusually large chunks.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2004/07/30 16:44:12 (permalink)
    Mayor and all,
    I was just grazing the meat section at our local market. Are all you folks around the country cursed with our Oregon nomenclature of "Boneless Pork Ribs"? The butcher was standing there so I asked him what the deal was; these things don't look like ribs, bone or not. Turns out the "ribs" are actually a pork shoulder cut in strips about 1-2" thick.
    They can be used for a variety of things, but BBQ'ed ribs aren't one of them.Marketing in the new millenium, I guess, except they weren't RIBS! It lets them double the price though.
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2004/07/30 20:35:48 (permalink)
    chop mine please
    [especially if mutton]
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2004/07/30 20:59:40 (permalink)
    Bill
    Around here they sell a lot of "Country Style Ribs" which are strips of the Butt portion cut as you described. They sell around here "on Sale" for 1.29-1.49 a lb.(bon-in) Not sure what the boneless sell for.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Pulled Pork vs. Chopped Pork 2004/07/30 21:07:13 (permalink)
    I firmly believe in Lexington-style bbq, sliced. By hand, not a machine. In fact, had to drive to Charlotte today and got to stop at Lexington #1 -- crusty, smoky, and not fat. Chopped may be the preferred, but I like it sliced -- I just think it tastes better. A few weeks back, on a different thread, Hillbilly pointed out the differences between pulled (just that, shredded off the whole chunk); chopped (kind of the Western Carolina style); and minced (the Eastern Carolina style). Sauces aside.

The other day in the supermarket I saw "semiboneless spare ribs." Looked like the real thing, deboned a bit. What's the point?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1