Author
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
2006/10/06 22:21:53 (permalink)

"Puttin on the Ritz"

'Ritz' Creation Wins Ice Cream Contest

Oct 6, 8:59 PM (ET)

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Chocolate-covered Ritz crackers, gooey caramel and vanilla ice cream - it doesn't get much better than that, judges decided at an ice cream contest.

Judges said Jacksonville resident Tasha Callister's entry, Puttin on the Ritz, tasted great and had a clever name. The flavor got top prize in the national Ben and Jerry's Do Us a Flavor Contest in Waterbury, Vt. on Thursday.

But the combo initially had people thinking it was a bit gross, Callister said.

"People were asking me if I was pregnant. They said it sounded like something a pregnant lady would put together," she told The Florida Times-Union.

Callister actually got the recipe from her grandmother, who would melt caramel over a camp fire and squish it between two crackers before covering it with chocolate.

Ben & Jerry's summer-long Internet contest drew more than 40,000 entries, company spokesman Sean Greenwood said.

Callister, a Navy meteorologist, and the other four national finalists won ice cream for a year, in addition to the trip to Vermont. She also won an ice cream party for her family and friends. Ben & Jerry's will create enough Puttin on the Ritz for the party, but there are no plans to put the new flavor in production, Greenwood said.

The other finalists were:

Robin Thornycroft of Richmond, BC, with Italian Renaissance (amaretto liqueur ice cream, cherry chunks and sliced almonds)

Timothy Link of Troy, ID, with Mojito (lime-based sherbet with mint, brown sugar and rum added in)

Kerstin Karlhuber of Boston, MA, with Wackie Chan (sweet cream and ginger flavored ice cream, chocolate-covered fortune cookie bits and fudge swirl)

Reina Chilton of Tempe, AZ, with ApricotAbra (apricot chunks, dark chocolate, vanilla ice cream and tart apricot preserves)

from: http://www.benjerry.com/scoop_shops/dousaflavor/index.cfm

2 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: "Puttin on the Ritz" 2006/10/08 10:26:52 (permalink)
    Mmmmmm all sound good to me!
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: "Puttin on the Ritz" 2006/10/26 23:07:12 (permalink)
    My grandmother used to make chocolate covered Ritz crackers alongside chocolate covered pretzels. From what I remember, they were pretty tasty. Never paired the crackers with ice cream though.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1