The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Putting Together An Authentic American Meal

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
Putting Together An Authentic American Meal Sat, 01/3/04 11:49 AM (permalink)
I'm thinking of learning more about cooking a complete American meal and am thinking of inviting my American friends who hail from different geographical regions of the States (broadly speaking e.g. Northeast, West, South etc) to dinner during the weekends and surprising each group with a meal that reflects their culinary heritage (i.e. regional cooking).

As I spent time in the South, I thought of starting with my friends who hail from Arkansas, NC and VA and serving the following:

Roast chicken or Fried Chicken
Mashed potatoes
Cornbread
Hush Puppies
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Iced Tea
Peach Cobbler and vanilla ice cream

Does that sound about right?

What about the Northeast? What's a typical Sunday dinner there? Midwest? Northwest? Southwest?

Any recipes to share?

I'm really looking forward to surprising them, especially Matthew who misses all his Southern fare during the semester here in rainy England! Plus, it'll give me a chance to learn another national cuisine

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
    RE: Putting Together An Authentic American Meal Sat, 01/3/04 12:16 PM (permalink)
    Here is a very easy New England Boiled Dinner. Curiously, for New Years Eve, I made a 3-course Sichuan dinner (with my cache of now-banned Sichuan peppercorns):

New England Boiled Dinner

2 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket
    3 tablespoons pickling spices, 3 bay leaves and 5 black peppercorns, tied in a cheesecloth bag
    2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
    3 carrots, cut into 4 pieces
    1 onion, quartered
    2 parsnips, cut into chunks
    2 turnips, cut into chunks
    1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
    1 tablespoon salt

Horseradish cream:
    1 cup sour cream
    Up to 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
    Salt and pepper
    Hot pepper sauce

In a large pot combine meat, spice bag and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables and salt. Simmer 30 minutes more.

Make horseradish cream: In a small bowl combine sour cream and horseradish; season to taste with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.

To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain. Transfer to a large, warmed, deep platter. Drain broth and reserve for soup, if desired. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
      RE: Putting Together An Authentic American Meal Sat, 01/3/04 12:34 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Grampy

Here is a very easy New England Boiled Dinner. Curiously, for New Years Eve, I made a 3-course Sichuan dinner (with my cache of now-banned Sichuan peppercorns):

Thanks Grampy! The New England boiled dinner sounds like a variation on the traditional London boiled dinner. Must be the British influence up there.

And er, why are you Sichuan peppercorns banned?

Grampy

RE: Putting Together An Authentic American Meal Sat, 01/3/04 12:45 PM (permalink)
        Apparently, the peppercorns carried a sort of blight that did not affect the peppercorns, per se, but could contaminate fruit grown in this country -- or so sez the FDA... They may well be banned for a decade it is estimated.

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
          RE: Putting Together An Authentic American Meal Mon, 01/5/04 12:17 AM (permalink)
          Roast chicken or Fried Chicken
          Mashed potatoes
          Cornbread
          Hush Puppies
          Green Bean Casserole
          Sweet Iced Tea
          Peach Cobbler and vanilla ice cream

Good idea, Jellybeans, but could I make a couple of suggestions? (and yes, I live and cook in the South) lol.

Take my advice and fry the chicken.

I wouldn't serve both corn bread and hush puppies at the same meal, as they're practically the same thing. Hush puppies are more generally eaten with fried fish, so cornbread or biscuits would be better with fried chicken.

I'd forget the green bean casserole, and just fix green beans.

If you're having mashed potatoes, by all means fix some chicken gravy.

Now you've got a good southern neal. Good luck!

Grampy

RE: Putting Together An Authentic American Meal Mon, 01/5/04 9:44 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by clothier

I can't believe you admitted having them in such a public forum. And since we know what you look like, it's just a matter of time until the Pepper Police pick you up and put you in the pokey.

In my defense, apparently any peppercorns that were in the country before the ban are okay -- much like Cuban cigars before they were banned. Speaking of which, did you know that JFK bought every supposedly bought up every Cuban cigar in Washington right before the ban went into effect. I wonder if Bush has a cache of peppercorns?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com