"Qing" without a clue

Author
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
2007/11/24 09:46:40 (permalink)

"Qing" without a clue

I've been Qing indoors for years without realizing it. I have an old wood cookstove in my kitchen that I use daily during the winter months.
The old girl is over 100 years old and anything but tight but still going strong. Yesterday I put my turkey carcas in the bottom of the oven to roast off for soup.
Thinking the stove would be going all day at a moderate heat decided to do some baked beans and roast a pork {chine roast} all started at 6am. Soup was ready by 4pm, pork and beans had a while to go yet and had a cup of soup to hold me over till dinner.
The last 2 hours of cooking the pork I applied some BBQ sauce and wrapped in foil.
All was ready at 6:30 in time for my daughter to stop by for dinner, and she thought she was going to get leftovers.
The pork fell off the bone, had a nice smoke ring, something I never paid attention to before. It did have somewhat of a smoke flavor but not as pronounced as you might get off a true smoker.
All the wood I'm burning now is Maple with some oak mixed in. I do have some apple wood but I try to save that, holiday wood.
I'm thinking of soaking some chips the next time and place them in the bottom of the oven next to the fire box. That might work.
Chow Jim

2 Replies Related Threads

Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: "Qing" without a clue 2007/11/24 10:19:27 (permalink)
    Jim - those old cast iron stoves are the ultimate slow cooker. I learned how to cook on them (mostly one with a kerosene conversion burner that also heated water for the house). Can't say I'd be able to do it now. You're truly working with a disappearing art.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: "Qing" without a clue 2007/11/24 18:45:07 (permalink)
    I thought you were talking about my ex wife! Her name is Qing "pronounced Ching", but she goes by Judy.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1