Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix!

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10198
2013/03/29 02:17:23 (permalink)

Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix!

Since I've only been to the Quad Cities area once over 40 years ago and never had a pizza there, I have no idea what a Quad Cities Pizza is supposed to be or taste like. But if what "The Pizza Pit" at the corner of Baseline & Dobson Road in Mesa AZ serves is Quad Cities Pizza, then I'm all for it!
The owner hails from there and missed the pizza so he opened the joint.
The place is pretty Spartan but the food more than makes up for it.
They do have 4 nice flat screen TV's and a nice deck overlooking a small man-made lake in the Dobson Ranch Neighborhood.
The Beer is cold and it's 2-fer's during happy hour. I had 2- 25 oz draft mugs for $4.75!!! They serve Wine also.
The Bride ordered a small, 10" pepperoni pizza with extra sauce for $7.75.
I had the house special "The Stashu" calzone loaded with their own recipe Pork Sirloin Sausage, which was a mild, sweet, Italian blend of their own spice recipe, Canadian Bacon, FRESH Mozz and Ricotta Cheese, served with their signature "Pit Sauce".
For only $7.50, it was an absolute steal. I could only eat 1/3 of it. I'll get two good lunches out of the leftovers.
The dough in both the pizza and calzone was made from scratch, light and airy, with great flavor. Their sauce was fresh and very flavorful.
I've been in the Valley for 13 years and this may be the best pizza/calzones I've found to date!
If you're a Midwesterner/Snowbird or just someone who likes a good pizza, put the Pizza Pit on your list!
They also serve Appetizers, Salads & Hot Gourmet Sandwiches. The Meatball Sub looked delicious!  
http://eatpizzapit.com/
post edited by Foodbme - 2013/03/29 02:19:07

7 Replies Related Threads

Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/04 08:43:08 (permalink)
    Having been born and raised in the Quad-Cities, I had to investigate this.  I'm currently living 2,500 miles from Mesa, so I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to try the place, but I know exactly what "QC-style" is supposed to be so I can at least give a remote impression.

It's generally agreed that Harris Pizza (three locations in Davenport, Bettendorf, and Rock Island) is the definitive example of the style.

From Pizza Pit's online menu:

Our feature, pork sirloin sausage, is blended in special spices, slow cooked, then ground to a crumbled consistency.  All of our pizzas are traditionally strip cut for just the right amount of crust on each slice.

Yes and yes.  Finely-ground sausage is the signature topping of QC-style pizza, and strip-cut is essential.

Taco pizza is on the menu.  Sauerkraut is available as a topping.  Also required.

The small pics I can see on their Yelp page show me a crust that looks to be about the right thickness. Hard to tell about the color, but it seems a little lighter than a proper malt crust should be. Toppings are under the cheese - good.  The exact nature of the cheese isn't clear, but as long as they get the fat/moisture content right, it's fine.  I won't demand Wisconsin-sourced cheese in Arizona.

Overall, it seems like a serious effort to replicate the QC style in a distant place, worthy of recognition unless the pizza is just atrocious, which I doubt it is.  I'd definitely try it if I were in the area.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5018
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/04 09:37:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, Ketteract!  I see that Harris Pizza opens at 11am on Sundays and I might have the chance to check it out at the end of this month.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/04 15:12:17 (permalink)
    Ketteract, while looking online for Harris Pizza info I came across Frank's Pizza.  How does it compare to Harris?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10198
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/05 02:18:08 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    Having been born and raised in the Quad-Cities, I had to investigate this.  I'm currently living 2,500 miles from Mesa, so I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to try the place, but I know exactly what "QC-style" is supposed to be so I can at least give a remote impression.
    It's generally agreed that Harris Pizza (three locations in Davenport, Bettendorf, and Rock Island) is the definitive example of the style.
    From Pizza Pit's online menu:
    Our feature, pork sirloin sausage, is blended in special spices, slow cooked, then ground to a crumbled consistency.  All of our pizzas are traditionally strip cut for just the right amount of crust on each slice.

Yes and yes.  Finely-ground sausage is the signature topping of QC-style pizza, and strip-cut is essential.
    Taco pizza is on the menu.  Sauerkraut is available as a topping.  Also required.
    The small pics I can see on their Yelp page show me a crust that looks to be about the right thickness. Hard to tell about the color, but it seems a little lighter than a proper malt crust should be. Toppings are under the cheese - good.  The exact nature of the cheese isn't clear, but as long as they get the fat/moisture content right, it's fine.  I won't demand Wisconsin-sourced cheese in Arizona.
    Overall, it seems like a serious effort to replicate the QC style in a distant place, worthy of recognition unless the pizza is just atrocious, which I doubt it is.  I'd definitely try it if I were in the area.

Thanx!for your expert opinion and everything you say is how it actually was and tasted. The Crust was delicious, light and a little airy. Not a wad of gut busting dough. As I said, probably the best pizza I've had in the Valley in my 13 years here! ( And that iincludes the overpriced, overhyped Pizza Bianco)

mikejames533
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/08 15:06:56 (permalink)
    Frank's and Harris are about the same. Pizzas are very much alike. The doughs are a little different. They both have been in business for years, and have a big following. I think frank's is a bit more pricey.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/11 10:15:26 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mike.  The original location of Frank's looks like it might win out because it's been around since 1955 but if that turns out to be impractical I'll keep Harris in mind.
    mikejames533
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:Quad Cities Pizza Comes To Phoenix! 2013/04/11 10:59:52 (permalink)
    I think Harris opened their first store in Rock Island in 1960. You can't go wrong with either place, they are both fantastic.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1