Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie

Author
KingT
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2011/03/30 21:42:29 (permalink)

Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie

What are your favorite spots for Quad Cities style pizza? As a born and raised Chicagoan (who lives for tavern thin not deep dish) I thought the Quad Cities style pizza pie from Frank's Pizzeria in Silvis, IL was excellent. The loose sausage was very flavorful and the crust was quite good. I stopped in at start of Fall last year and will be back along the Mississippi this summer and am wondering if theres better. I have not had a taco pizza 9said to come from this area) but am tempted tp try one if you got a spot that makes the best by far.

Large sausage from Frank's Pizzeria

Pieces of Frank's pizza, I like the middle ones (more meat)

Quad Cities style pizza
More on Franks HERE.

Frank's Pizzeria
711 1st Ave
Silvis, IL 61282-1042
(309) 755-0625

9 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2011/03/30 22:49:52 (permalink)
    Happy Joe's Pizza & Ice Cream have 11 outlets in the greater Quad Cities area.  (They are a local chain centered around the Quad Cities.)  They have 4 Mexican Pizzas including a Taco Joe and a Taco Supreme, as well as 8 Specialty Pizzas including the BBQ Joe, BLT, Hawaiian and the Happy Joe Special, which is Canadian Bacon and sauerkraut, one of my favorites.)  I have eaten at three of their places, two in the Quad Cities area, and would recommend them to anyone (except New Haven pizza fans).
    http://www.happyjoes.com/
    justtable
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2011/03/30 23:27:49 (permalink)
    Interesting post and pictures. As soon as I saw this frank's pie it looks identacle to a place called County Line Pizza....in Juno Beach, Florida. They have the most amazing house made loose sausage just like the one pictured. I wonder if the people who own county line are from this area?
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2011/10/10 00:00:48 (permalink)
    Happy Joe's is absolutely fantastic, but I think it's really its own style of pizza. 

Actual "Quad-Cities" style - the oblong slices, thin sauce, finely-ground sausage, toppings under the cheese - I'd say doesn't get more definitive than good old Harris Pizza.  As I remember, there's two in Davenport, one in Bettendorf, and one in Rock Island.

I also seem to recall a "Fat Boy's Pizza" on Washington Street in Davenport that made a pretty good pie, but I think I last had them when I was in junior high school and my memory can't be trusted.  Not sure if they're even still there.
    post edited by Ketteract - 2011/10/10 00:03:09
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2011/10/10 09:58:12 (permalink)
    Having grown up on the north side of Chicago (Montrose & Kedzie) I am a huge fan of thin crust pizza. I do not get the deep dish craze. It was never around while I was growing up (40 years ago) But I do remember Angelo's on Montrose aand Albany Ave. and he would cut the pizza into oblong slices. Ahh them were the days. Can't get a decent pizza here in Austin.

Pinkhat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2012/02/10 23:29:42 (permalink)
    I'm from Bettendorf and for the most traditional and best it's either Harris Pizza (in Davenport and Rock Island) or Sports Fans (in Bettendorf)
    This style started at a place called Chefs Hat and got copied as it grew in popularity.
    So there you go...more information than you actually needed. (/grin)
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2012/02/20 17:18:54 (permalink)
    I am also a long-time Happy Joe's fan.  At one time, they had over twice as many locations as they do now.  There were several in the Kansas City area when we first moved here in the late 70's.  It's really not a unique style.  I call it Midwestern style or Chicago thin style.  It is really a bit of knock off of places like Shakey's Pizza (the founder of HJ's was a former Shakey's franchisee) or Round Table Pizza found out in California.  Thin crunchy crust, cheese and tangy sauce right to the edge, good toppings.  They typically do the pie-cut, but I grew up in Illinois and Wisconsin so I am quite familiar with the Midwestern square- or party-cut, too.
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2012/03/14 21:48:19 (permalink)
    Pinkhat

I'm from Bettendorf and for the most traditional and best it's either Harris Pizza (in Davenport and Rock Island) or Sports Fans (in Bettendorf)
    This style started at a place called Chefs Hat and got copied as it grew in popularity.
    So there you go...more information than you actually needed. (/grin)

Whoa, Chef's Hat as in the Chef's Hat at Five Points?  Is that even still there? I remember driving by it a lot.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6188
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2012/03/15 05:12:12 (permalink)
    Pizza simply means "pie" in Italian...so it drives ne crazy when people say "pizza" pie"...that's "pie pie............say simply pizza in america...in Italy it's pizza pomedoro"
    BeaconCove
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Quad Cities Style Pizza Pie 2012/03/21 05:08:05 (permalink)
    This is very tasty pizza.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1