The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Quality Pizza in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
Quality Pizza in St. Petersburg, Fla. Sun, 03/2/03 11:29 AM (permalink)
If ever you're in St. Pete, skip Pizza Hut and head to Little Italy. A pizza "joint" if there ever was one, it's dumpy (yet clean) and unassuming, maintaining its long-standing place in the middle of a strip shopping center called Disston Plaza (it's next to the Publix supermarket). Their pies are large and a bargain, with good, garlicky sauce and a well-done crust. The family who runs it are Italian, and the TV is constantly blaring sports. You'll find the time passes quicker while waiting for your pie if you indulge in the video games in the back room, or by nursing your root beer, which you'll receive first. Try the strombolis, too -- huge, fresh and packed with good, salty meat and lots of green peppers and cheese.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Quality Pizza in St. Petersburg, Fla. Tue, 11/16/04 9:45 AM (permalink)
    I doubt that I would head to Pizza Hut in any case, Kristi, but I might go to Little Italy after your description. If you can get me an address I'll let Mapquest do the rest,

carl reitz

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
      RE: Quality Pizza in St. Petersburg, Fla. Tue, 11/16/04 9:50 AM (permalink)
      3523 49TH St N (next to Publix)
      St Petersburg, FL 33710-2149
      Phone: (727) 522-2717

And here's a review from Citysearch:

-----------------------
      A popular neighborhood restaurant, Toby's attracts a big crowd of pizza and big-sandwich lovers.

Diners wait patiently in line for tables at the cramped eatery in the Disston Shopping Center. As they do, they watch the chefs throw big pizzas together, frying meat for Philly cheese steak sandwiches and hefting giant sandwiches onto plates. When the order is done, they call a number, and people pick it up themselves and take it back to a table.

On the menu are various kinds of pizza, all made right there top to bottom. The Little Italy Special is particularly generous, a big disk of dough topped with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, cheese and anchovies--not great pizza, but respectable. The meatball parmigiana sandwich was good, and the subs looked very substantial--provolone, salami, capocollo, boiled ham, etc.

Though the decor runs to simple formica tables, piles of empty pizza boxes and video games in the back, it has an undeniable charm: It is fun because it is loud, full of yakking, joking patrons and their kids. This is no museum, folks.
      ----------------------------------

Carlton: If you can, avoid going around 6-8pm on Friday night unless you don't mind waiting. The place is positively jammed.

And as an aside to my original post: it is "dumpy" no more. They removed all of the old coin-operated TVs and big Italian wine bottles, painted the walls and replaced the booths. It's still cramped, though, and the food is still the same!

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
        RE: Quality Pizza in St. Petersburg, Fla. Tue, 11/16/04 10:14 AM (permalink)
        Hi Kristi.

Thanks for the heads up. We will go over and try it sometime.

I have to admit that we have been getting our pizza lately from Gumby's on 4th St. N. For a delivery pizza, I think it is respectable. Especially since they cook with regular pizza ovens and not conveyor lines. I always order it well-done so I get a nice crispy crust.

John

seafarer john

RE: Quality Pizza in St. Petersburg, Fla. Tue, 11/16/04 8:45 PM (permalink)
          Kristi: This kills me. We had a house in Kenneth City, not far from Disston Plaza, in fact we shopped there a lot. But, damn it, we never even took a second look at that Pizza joint next door to Publix. So near, yet so far!!!

We like a pizza joint on 4th st. at about 20th - the name escapes me at the moment. It is a spaghetti and meatballs type Italian restaurant
          in a strip mall with a pizza I like, and a very nice hot meatball sandwich - wine, beer, and soft drinks available.

Cheers, John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com