The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Quesadillas?

Henry Flo

• Total Posts: 5
Quesadillas? Mon, 02/6/06 9:21 AM (permalink)
I just returned from Mexico City, and noticed something about our beloved quesadillas. At the restaurant there when we ordered them, they were more of a fried pie than a tortilla "sandwich". A cheese quesadilla was either a thick tortilla or dough stuffed with white cheese, folded over, and deep fried. Served on a plate by itself. They were pretty small, somewhat like the meat pie you might see at a wedding reception or banquet.

Is that the authentic version of a quesadilla?

Henry Flo

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
    RE: Quesadillas? Fri, 02/10/06 12:57 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Henry Flo

I just returned from Mexico City, and noticed something about our beloved quesadillas. At the restaurant there when we ordered them, they were more of a fried pie than a tortilla "sandwich". A cheese quesadilla was either a thick tortilla or dough stuffed with white cheese, folded over, and deep fried. Served on a plate by itself. They were pretty small, somewhat like the meat pie you might see at a wedding reception or banquet.

Is that the authentic version of a quesadilla?

Henry Flo
    You pose an interesting question. I had a quesadilla at Elvira"s restaurant in Nogales, Sonora that was 3 round balls covered by tomato sauce and filled with a delicious Mexican white cheese and squash blossoms. I have also had a quesadilla in a Salvadorean restaurant that was very sweet cheese cornbread. I would love for someone with greater knowledge of thses cuisines to come forward.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
      RE: Quesadillas? Fri, 02/10/06 1:35 AM (permalink)
      The word quesadilla is used in Mexico like we use the word sandwich, so the variations will be many. The authentic version, actually the original version was/is
      a deep fried empanada-like deal made of meat filled masa.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Quesadillas? Fri, 02/10/06 3:09 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by enginecapt

The word quesadilla is used in Mexico like we use the word sandwich, so the variations will be many. The authentic version, actually the original version was/is
        a deep fried empanada-like deal made of meat filled masa.

My own guess--and I admit it's only a guess--was pretty much what your first sentence says. But the second sentence has me intrigued. Following the logic of the first, I'd think there was not one but many "authentic" versions, probably regional, but as to the matter of the "original", please explain. Was it invented in one place at one time--like, say, the hot dog (or even the sandwich)? Is it known where/when that was?

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
          RE: Quesadillas? Fri, 02/10/06 4:47 AM (permalink)
          I should have said the original Sinaloan version, per an ex-pat Sinaloan I used to cook with. Unknown if this is where it all springs from.

unalaskawoman

• Total Posts: 90
            RE: Quesadillas? Sat, 02/11/06 1:06 AM (permalink)
            Speaking of quesadillas...we made our favorites the other night. With sauteed strips of b/s chicken breast, garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, with monterey jack on whole wheat quesadillas, and fresh cilantro, green sauce, etc. for garnish. We got this recipe on line but doctored it up a bit...very good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com