Question About The Margins

Author
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
2003/11/01 10:07:52 (permalink)

Question About The Margins

This is not a food question, but does anybody know what it is that gets the margins on the threads out of whack? On some of the threads you have to scroll to the side in order to read the post, and on others they are formatted correctly and you don't. Any idea what causes this?

19 Replies Related Threads

Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 10:15:49 (permalink)
    Have occasionally experienced the problem you describe on some other websites, skylar, (and next time you go back to them the margins will be all lined up correctly again), but I've never experienced this problem on Roadfood. Don't know what causes it at times and why you've experienced it here but I haven't, tho have at times experienced it elsewhere. Maybe some of the more computer literate posters can enlighten us. I'd like to know too, particularly if there is anything one can do to prevent or correct this problem.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 11:39:37 (permalink)
    One possibility is that some sites seem to compensate for the "Favorites" sidebar while others do not. And since you can adjust the width of the sidebar, you might just have it set too wide. I simply turn mine off except when I'm using it.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 14:52:55 (permalink)
    I experience that problem quite often on this site. Does it have anything to do with an i Mac?
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 17:10:31 (permalink)
    Seafarer, think likely not, for I'm running an iMac, and, as said above, I've never had this problem on Roadfood, though have had it on other websites. Do you have problem on other websites? Don't know.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 19:36:19 (permalink)
    I think the problem occurs when large pictures are posted. If a picture has a pixel resolution too high to fit across the screen, based on the resolution setting you use for your monitor, it has to stretch and add the scroll bar. You could use a higher resolution setting, but if you are like me, the eyes don't like the smaller print.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 22:07:31 (permalink)
    Never had a problem on any other site. but, what the Hell, it really aint such a big problem - only happens sometimes-
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 22:16:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I experience that problem quite often on this site. Does it have anything to do with an i Mac?

I have a Wintel machine and I occasionally have that problem here and at other forums.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/01 22:36:06 (permalink)
    I have the same problem from time to time. Not too big of a deal though. Always just thought it was me..............LOL
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/02 02:39:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim Ross

I think the problem occurs when large pictures are posted. If a picture has a pixel resolution too high to fit across the screen, based on the resolution setting you use for your monitor, it has to stretch and add the scroll bar. You could use a higher resolution setting, but if you are like me, the eyes don't like the smaller print.

This appears to be a good explanation. I just upgraded to Win XP and thought that might be the problem as I hadn't really noticed it before, but check out the 'onion rings' topic under 'sides.' Page 1 runs off the edge of the page - there's a (quite lovely) picture in one of the posts on that page; page 2 - no picture, no problem with margins.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/03 13:53:27 (permalink)
    It's something of an oddity that I just posted on here Saturday the statement that though I have encountered on other websites the margin problem which skylarOne initially describes, I've never encountered such anywere on Roadfood. Then when I just now go to Roadfood, I discover that problem for the first time ever - on page 3 of the "Breakfast" forum topic "Favorite Coffee". Do not today find it anywhere else in entire Roadfood website (not on pages 1 & 2 of "Favorite Coffee" or anywhere else). Am nearly certain, too, that I've previously visited this"Favorite Coffee page 3", without finding the problem there on those earlier visits. As several posters have mentioned, it's really no big deal, but is just another one (of many) computer happenings which I don't understand.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/03 16:38:56 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone that it's not a big deal, it was just something I couldn't understand and thought I'd ask about. And I think Jim hit it on the head with his explanation about the pictures. Just about all the threads that do that have pics posted somewhere.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/03 22:52:11 (permalink)
    skylar, while think we all agree this matter is not really that big a deal, I do think it's a very interesting topic which you have brought up - simply because it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't - and wonder why. Wonder, too, if "Favorite Coffee, page 3" of the "Breakfast" forum was today "misaligned" or "too wide" on your computer as it was on mine. The thought about the "misalignment" connection to threads with pictures sounds quite reasonable. However, in this case the coffee page did not have any pictures. Just one of many interesting computer questions, tho.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 01:08:13 (permalink)
    I am not sure, but it may have something to do with how you are torturing your mouse" />

If you are for some reason holding down the control button (or mashing down on the wheel on a mouse) and roll it back or forwards (the wheel, not the mouse) you will notice that the type size and centering along with the type size will change. It is a very handy trick, when done on purpose. Perhaps you are enlarging the page by accident.

Incidentally, the above message concerns Windows. I am not sure about Mac's, although Mrs. Mayhaw (art gallery girl) is a real whiz on those little gizmos and I will try to remember to ask her in the morning if it works the same way.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 04:34:24 (permalink)
    Pictures aren't the explanation. Could it be something about the settings on a poster's computer? On usenet, if a post is in html, it realllllllly screws up the margins, much, much worse than what I'm experiencing here.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 10:55:50 (permalink)
    Mayhaw: Mac mouses do not allow themselves to be manhandled is such a crude fashion!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 11:14:03 (permalink)
    I don't torture my Mouse !!! In fact ... I clean his ball once a week !!! Poor thing !!! " />
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 11:25:33 (permalink)
    Like, yes indeed...the margins on the Favorite Coffee page 3 thread are messed up on my comp. also. And as you said, no pictures are posted.

Mayhaw...I most definitely am not abusing my mouse, because in fact it doesn't have a ball. It's one of those things that works off a light, LOL.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 11:37:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

Like, yes indeed...the margins on the Favorite Coffee page 3 thread are messed up on my comp. also. And as you said, no pictures are posted.

Mayhaw...I most definitely am not abusing my mouse, because in fact it doesn't have a ball. It's one of those things that works off a light, LOL.

I do not condone the abuse of mice (except for cancer research).
    Mice are very useful and should be treated with all the respect and dignity commensurate to thier positions as small vermin

Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Question About The Margins 2003/11/04 12:52:50 (permalink)
    Mayhaw, standard Mac mice don't have two sides or a control button, and this one has one of those lights rather than the roller ball which mouse on my first Mac had. Also I wasn't holding down the control key, so "off centering" was due to none of those factors. Don't know the deal about one and two sided mice, but do know the one sided or single topped mouse is a criticism some computer experts have always had about Macs; some Mac users in fact replace their OE Mac mice with other mice brands (mice from other broods?) which are two sided. This single top one can do more, tho, than I know what to do with it. Thought you might have some explanation with the idea of the poster's computer setting, hermitt, but believe there were posts from more than one poster on that "Favorite coffee, page 3". Wonder if one individual's computer setting could throw off the entire page on the website. As previously said, not that big a deal but just interesting. And this one instance is the only time I've ever experienced it on Roadfood, tho do encounter this situation much more frequently on various other websites, so it ain't just a Roadfood thing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1