Question about Ruth Chris Steak House

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
2006/08/04 14:54:27 (permalink)

Question about Ruth Chris Steak House

We are getting a Ruth Chris here in Huntsville, AL. A mention in the paper states that the prices are a little high. Will it be worth it to go, and how are the steak. All opinions welcome.

74 Replies Related Threads

ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:09:14 (permalink)
    Hi, Sassy Grits!

A little high"?

EXORBITANT would be more like it, at least if your Ruth Chris (RC) is anything like OUR RC here in Baltimore (perched on some VERY high-priced real estate on the Inner Harbor!).

You asked . . . HERE GOES:

Food = mediocre (STEAKS are far better at most OUTBACKS).
    Service = fair (how about, aloof?)
    Prices = OUTTA SIGHT!
    Value = I would rather be mugged in an alley!

This place sucks, big time. Incredibly, I CANNOT believe who in the HEL* they think they are, to insult my intelligence with their prices.

SORRY . . . I got carried away. 'Nuff said!

If you go, take TWO credit cards . . . and have a jolly good time!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:24:56 (permalink)
    Here is a link to the menu for the RCS in Hartford CT. Entree prices range from $20-$35

http://www.ruthschris-hartford.com/entrees_p_1.htm
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:26:33 (permalink)
    i'm not sure if i'm correct, but i think everything is priced a la carte.
    SassyGritsAL
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:29:32 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone - think I'll pass right by Ruth Chris Steakhouse.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:30:44 (permalink)
    Thats right....want a baked potato or some sauteed mushrooms?
    Over 5 bucks each.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:53:01 (permalink)
    I've always found Ruth's Chris to be quite good. I've never had bad service or a bad steak there. It costs more than a Lone Star or whatever, but it's not expensive.

I am, however, wondering why this isn't in the Fast Food, Franchise, non-roadfood chain etc. ghetto.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 15:58:11 (permalink)
    True enough.

This is a chain that is not reviewed on Roadfood, ergo this thread needs to be moved to the FFF forum
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 16:07:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've always found Ruth's Chris to be quite good. I've never had bad service or a bad steak there. It costs more than a Lone Star or whatever, but it's not expensive.

I am, however, wondering why this isn't in the Fast Food, Franchise, non-roadfood chain etc. ghetto.

Mr. Hoffman:

I personally don't have a problem with your suggestion that the topic (thread) should be moved to the "non-roadfood chain". In fact, it should, IMHO.

However, I would ask, which Ruth's Chris did you visit that you found to be quite good, but not expensive?

Just asking.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 16:19:21 (permalink)
    Columbus, Ohio and New Orleans, Louisiana. I believe the prices at all of them are approximately the same.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3709
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 16:22:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Now this is a guy that I would love to date! How about you, Sassy?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 16:24:37 (permalink)
    And all this time I thought you were a guy.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 16:26:09 (permalink)
    quote:

Who said that I was not!" />
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 16:28:29 (permalink)
    Never mind.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 17:43:23 (permalink)
    ...and it's now been moved to the same forum that houses threads about McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Cool.

Thanks mods :-)
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 17:55:39 (permalink)
    The Ruth's Chris in KC is very good, but KC being Cowtown and all, they have some serious competion. Almost all the steak places here are as expensive as Ruth's Chris. Side dishes at most of them all run over $5 a side. The serving sizes are usually enough for 3 or more people, so it's not so bad.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 17:57:30 (permalink)
    quote:

Never mind.

Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 19:12:44 (permalink)
    I have not been to a Ruth's Chris, but maybe to put it in perspective, it is one of those high-end steak houses in the vein of Morton's, Capitol Grille, Smith & Wollensky and Peter Luger (and I'm hesitant to put the independent PL in with that crowd) that caters to the business expense account crowd. There's a reason they advertise in the airline in-flight magazines. In the days of smoking I'd expect to see a lot of cigars and maybe a humidor. I'd still expect lots of big wines and brandys. As such I would expect everything to be high-end, ala carte, and pricey. In a major city, expect to drop $50+ a head before drinks and the sky's the limit.

Boston has been flooded with these in the past decade or so with most of the major chains establishing a foothold. Morton's has been here longer and was looking a bit tatty when I was there about a year and a half ago. Capitol Grille came out of Providence and, I believe, made their first expansions in Boston and the suburbs.

Smith & Wollensky and Ruth's Chris made their moves when they could find very attractive historic locations which would attract a wallet-bearing clientele just to be in the building. S&W is in "The Castle," a beautiful Victorian-era armory (legend has it that the Brahmins built it as a buffer to discourage the Irish and Italian immigrants in the South End from revolt) in the lower Back Bay, close to the downtown business district and good hotels and shopping.

Ruth's Chris is the latest addition and they have been open that they waited until they could find the right property. They've got Old City Hall downtown, an elegant Second-Empire Beaux-Arts manse near shopping, government and financial districts. For many years it was the home of Boston's leading French restaurant, Maison Robert.

Personally, I will enjoy any of these places when the company is paying for it, and preferably when my host knows his wines.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 20:06:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

Who said that I was not!" />

Well? 'Fess Up.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 20:10:17 (permalink)
    Ruth's Chris isn't as expensive as Morton's or Peter Luger, but even without liquor you'll pay $100/couple easily. The one in Richmond is housed in an eighteenth-century plantation house and we've found the food to be pretty good and decent service as well. I love their mashed potatoes.
    Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 21:25:39 (permalink)
    I also enjoy Ruth Chris; it is my favorite high-end "steakhouse" chain. Morton's & Smith & Wollensky are also good. We've tried two locations of Morton's & Smith & Wollensky. The food and service has always been good. But then again, I am not afraid to speak up or talk to someone in charge if things aren’t going right.

As for Ruth Chris's, we've tried around 8 different locations. We were their last Saturday. I had the petite filet & my DH had the regular filet. We shared a potato dish & veggie dish. 2 glasses of wine & 4 mixed drinks all came to around to $135 plus tip. I enjoy the steaks, very tender and flavorful. served on a sizzling hot plate wading in melted butter. I haven't tried Peter Luger's.
    I maybe in the minority on this board. However I Ruth Chris's is my favorite high-end steakhouse followed by Morton's then Smith & Wollensky's.

Despite what we look like or how we were dressed, we haven't experienced the service snobs.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 21:43:03 (permalink)
    i believe my husband, The Old Fart, has rubbed off on me...
    for that kind of money, i can go and buy a prime cut of kobe steak and cook it at home.
    inmo, i don't really consider ruth chris to be roadfood.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/04 23:33:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Adjudicator Posted - 08/04/2006 : 20:06:32
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

Who said that I was not!

Well? 'Fess Up.

Greymo is a little old lady that one day her grandchild called her "Graymo" She thought that cute and have been using it as a screen name ever since............... Right?
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/05 01:44:29 (permalink)
    Just be aware that while they advertise "US Prime" steaks, the filets are not prime. Read the menu carefully.

And for the OP, here are the prices roughly. An appetizer like shrimp remoulade, which they do very well owing to their New Orleans roots, is in the $12 range. Steaks are $30-32, salads $7, sides $6-8, desserts $7. The sides are enough for 2-3 people. Everything is ala carte.
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/06 22:42:01 (permalink)
    I remember the first time I ate at Morton's. I had never heard of it (the Boston one hadn't opened yet)and figured, even though they didn't have prices on the menu, how bad could it be? I was traveling on business and it was on an expense account and I hadn't eaten all day so I had the whole per diem to blow. Later I got a call from someone in accounting who wanted to know who else had been in my dinner party that they could split the expense with as I had gone over my allowance for the day (unless I was eating with a client). She laughed when I told her it was me alone. I'm with Xannie. Kobe beef cooked at home is a better deal. Ruth Chris is kind of the same idea. Good steak for way too much money and I don't know what makes for an $8 baked potato. Fred
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/06 23:25:29 (permalink)
    I have only ever been to RC's one time,at the Pikesville Maryland store.Beautiful place,we walked in,with reservation,passed thru a room of people having a wonderful time,and were ushered into a side room with NO OTHER CUSTOMERS.This on a busy Friday near Christmas.In this silent little library type place,the waitress comes up to my wife and I and says "Good evening Ladies".And my hair is not all that long.We split a Shrimp appetizer which had 3 shrimp for like 15 dollars.It was good I guess,but bad value.
    I got a bone-in ribeye,$30,obviously good meat but this was a bad cut.the bone was all busted up and it took some surgery to eat the steak and avoid the bone and gristle.There was a noticeable lack of service once entree was served,no offer of coffee or dessert (not that i would have bought any),just the offering of the check.
    I dont like to judge a restaurant (or a chain,and this is without question a chain) by one visit.But this was such poor value that I dont really care to visit any more RCs.I know where to go to get world class steak and world class service in Baltimore (The Prime Rib) for the same $$$,so why gamble on the RC again.They obviously didnt want any serious business from me that night,for whatever reason,if it was just a tough night I could have dealt with it if they had told me what the problem was.But they didnt,and thats OK.I just look past the RC when I am looking for a steakhouse in any given town.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/06 23:44:37 (permalink)
    here's all you've got to know about ruth chris. ruth chris which was founded in new orleans and proudly talks about it's heritage pulled up its stakes (no pun intended) two days after hurricane katrina and announced it was moving it's national headquarters out of new orleans to orlando (where a number of their senior executives had second homes). real troupers, nothing like kicking ya when your down. a real class act if i've ever seen one. i wouldn't be caught dead in one of their resturants and i urge every lover of new orleans and it's great food to avoid them at all costs. and anyway here in nyc there are at least 15 better places to get a steak.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/07 04:19:58 (permalink)
    My husband and I went to only one Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, mostly due to all the hype we heard about it. The service was terrible, and the food was mediocre, prices outrageous (high rent resort district). Let's face it, even if the food was to-die-for delicious, and the price was reasonable, we still wouldn't return with the lousy service we had.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/07 09:44:45 (permalink)
    I guess everyone has different expereinces. We often go to Baltimore's Inner Harbor for weekend getaways. We also often go to the RC in Baltimore. We have never had a bad meal there, and we have had fine service. In fact, the last time we were there, we filled out a comment card, and we received a personally written thank-you note from our waiter.
    SassyGritsAL
    RE: Question about Ruth Chris Steak House 2006/08/07 11:02:07 (permalink)
    quote:

I originally posted it under Prime Cuts because I though Ruth Chris was a steak place and was wondering about their steaks.
    Michael, it appears that you and a few others are not a majority on the opinion that Ruth Chris is a good place to eat, and I respect everyones opinion. And my opinion is that for one person to pay $50 or more for a steak, baked potato and salad is ridiculous when you know there are better places out there for half the price.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1