Question for places that serve liquor

Author
california
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2013/12/18 13:31:52 (permalink)

Question for places that serve liquor

How many brands do you usually stock of each type of spirit? Do you stick with one distributor and just carry the brands that they distribute, or do you try to carry everything that someone might conceivably ask for? Any pointers on what you consider *essential*?

I have a U.K. tea room sort of theme going on, with a selection of tea based cocktails, and I'm thinking I should definitely carry brands from the U.K., but do I need to carry Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Bulleit, AND Wild Turkey, for instance, when it comes to someone wanting a medium-tier Bourbon drink? How do you all handle instances of limited startup budgets and limited space? Any advice?

(Background: this is a small space, seating 39 people in the front room with the bar, with a 42 occupancy performance room in the back.) How understanding are people, generally, when it comes to *their* brand not being available, in various types of spaces? i.e. this is not a dive bar, but it's not an upscale bar either.
post edited by california - 2013/12/18 13:35:19

6 Replies Related Threads

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Question for places that serve liquor 2013/12/18 16:02:07 (permalink)
    I don't serve alcohol, but I can tell you as a patron that I don't expect a bar to stock every single brand of liquor I might want. One of my favorite drinks is root beer and a French-style rum (Rhum Barbancourt or 10 Cane, but I'd settle for Mount Gay). I have been to VERY few bars that have both ingredients, and surprisingly few that have any of the three rums I mentioned (all of which are readily available). If something is popular in your area, or feel a need to stock it, then stock it. Unless you are trying to be the go-to place for a type of liquor (like some bars try to have a very broad selection of Irish wiskey), I wouldn't try for an overly broad selection.
    Look at what Jon Taffer does in the bars he fixes up. He tends to have wells of the various liquors and a premium in the most popular. He will often set up a bar so there is only one premium spirit for each type of liquor. I would suggest reading his book, Raise the Bar. You might also look into his packages on his website to help you out. There are also The Complete Idiot's Guide and the Running a Bar for Dummies that might be helpful. You might even be able to find these at your local library.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:Question for places that serve liquor 2013/12/18 23:52:07 (permalink)
    If it's a mixed drink, I could care less. If it's straight up, I have preferences but all my preferences are fairly common. The more upscale you go the more Snots you'll run into who want something more exotic.
    Coming off the Hoot Owl shift, a boilermaker was the drink of choice.
    MY 9000TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/12/18 23:53:42
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:Question for places that serve liquor 2013/12/19 00:14:06 (permalink)
    French style rum?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3962
    Re:Question for places that serve liquor 2013/12/19 01:21:26 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    MY 9000TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Foodbme!
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Question for places that serve liquor 2013/12/19 20:40:35 (permalink)
    French style rums (most commonly made on the islands the French colonized) are made with sugar cane juice. In the industry, these are called rhum agricole. They are often then aged in brandy casks, and are not spiced. The British style rums are made with molasses. They can be over proofed rums, like those from Jamaica. These are often not aged at all. Or they can be the darker, gold or spiced rums. These are more likely to be aged in whiskey barrels.
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/12/19 20:41:44
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:Question for places that serve liquor 2013/12/20 00:43:19 (permalink)
    Actually I get rums...pretty well.  I think French influenced rums are a little more accurately descriptive of what you talking about.  Rum is very much a Caribbean thing through and through.  Just with some added variety by the influx of French/British settlers providing the variances you mentioned...And the ones aged in the different barrels were probably whisky barrels, perhaps not so much from whiskey 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1