Question on Lou Manalti's

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 13:07:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Buddy - Never been to Burt's Place but it sounds like a great place to try. As you're in the know, are Satrudays impossible to get in? How about Friday's? Family orientated or more adult? Any other interesting menu choices?
ChiTown, I cannot believe we've never discussed Burt's! Answers to all your questions in order:

Saturday's are busy but not insane. Plus if you show up on Saturday, I'll wait on your table!

Buddy - Thanks! We'll definitely make the trip one of these days...and on a Saturday night! Got to Scooters last night for early season frozen custard and it was fantastic!

Friday's are the insane night lately. Burt has gotten a lot of play lately at the LTHforum and a write up in Time Out magazine, bringing a lot of new customers in. Friday seems to be their favorite night to visit. Regardless of which night you decide to come in, calling ahead with your order is always advisable. The phone number is above and if you don't have a menu, you can expect to find the usual pizza topping choices (just don't ask for pineapple and ham-ugh-none of that newfangled stuff at Burt's)

Very family friendly. Almost a step back in time; from the real wood panelling to Burt's extensive collection of antique radios, televisions, telephones (he even takes phone orders on an old rotary dial phone-like I said, none of that newfangled push button stuff around here), and eclectic knick-knacks, this place is a wonderment for both kids and adults.

Burt does list some other entrees; mostaciolli, ravioli, lasagna, and even a very good pub burger. All are passable but he is known for his pizza and there's a good reason for that. Those items are on the menu as a courtesy for the occasional group of folks who have that one person who doesn't like pizza. If you must order something else, try the salads and the outstanding house made garlic bread.

I think that covers it. I'm usually there most Saturdays unless I'm travelling on Barbecue Business. When I'm not in, Burt's wife Sharon takes over. She is also there the other nights of the week.

That's the story, ChiTown. Maybe I'll see you some Saturday night for a pizza.

Buddy
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/13 13:04:40 (permalink)
Just got back from Chicago last night - had a great time. Unfortunately, we ended up going to the Lou Malnati's on N. Wells and I have to say I was not impressed. I'm sure the original location in Lincolnwood is better and will definitely give it a try (along with some other pizza places) next time I get out to Chicago.

We ordered a medium sausage/onion and a small sausage/onion/spinach. Being from Connecticut, I thought if I had any qualms about the pizza it would be because of its thickness, which I'm not used to. The structure of the pizza didn't really bother me much - the main problem was that the pizza was just too bland (especially the sausage/onion). The cheese, the sauce, and the sausage all lacked flavor. The cheese was also too stringy and worst of all, the interior of the crust was waterlogged – I’d imagine this was a result of the chunky tomato sauce used.

On the positive side, I will say the pizza with the spinach was better as the spinach was mixed with basil, garlic, and more onion which gave it an added flavor. Also, the exterior crust and end crust did hold up well despite the watery inside, and had a nice crispy texture to it.

My deep-dish experience at Malnati’s was really the only meal I left feeling under whelmed. Not a bad pizza, just an average pizza overall. Everything else I ate in Chicago was very good or great. I should be posting a few reviews or logbooks later this week.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/13 13:12:04 (permalink)
I had a similar experience at Malnati's a couple years back, Jack - almost precisely the same reaction
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/13 13:56:50 (permalink)
Trying very hard not to say, "Told ya so."

Nope, not working, here it comes...

Told ya so.

Buddy
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/13 18:54:34 (permalink)
quote:

Trying very hard not to say, "Told ya so."

Nope, not working, here it comes...

Told ya so.

Buddy

Sorry Buddy, no one I was with wanted to drive to Burt's or the original Malnati's location. I would have liked to and will next time I get out there. I'm convinced there have to be better examples of Chicago deep-dish pizza.
WIBEARFAN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/14 13:17:57 (permalink)
I prefer Connie's Pizza on Archer Ave & Noramal... It's a deep dish
not Stuffed like Gino's...There is a difference between deep dish & stuff pizza.
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/14 21:31:04 (permalink)
Gino's is not a stuffed pizza . . . and Connie's regular pizza is not a deep dish, although they do offer it as one of their many different styles that they make. But I have never heard Connie's being noted for their deep dish pizza, but maybe you've discovered something new.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/17 23:34:56 (permalink)
And the winner is...Burt's Place! In a landslide! Eight of us took the 35 minute ride up to Burt's tonite - 4 kids and 4 adults. We had four larges (5 sizes available) in the following combinations - sausage & pepperoni - tomato, banana pepper, sausage & garlic - mushroom, onion, black olives & garlic - sausage, spinich, garlic & mushrooms - which by design, would ensure leftovers for tomorrow's breakfast.

We started with beverages, cheese garlic bread and a house salad. Our waiter for the evening was Buddy Overdrive as he waited, cleared tables, forked over carry out, took telephone orders, refilled drinks, made recommendations, etc.

Will edit and add tomorrow.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/17 23:36:14 (permalink)
And the winner is...Burt's Place! In a landslide! Eight of us took the 35 minute ride up to Burt's tonite - 4 kids and 4 adults. We had four larges (5 sizes available) in the following combinations - sausage & pepperoni - tomato, banana pepper, sausage & garlic - mushroom, onion, black olives & garlic - sausage, spinich, garlic & mushrooms - which by design, would ensure leftovers for tomorrow's breakfast.

We started with beverages, cheese garlic bread and a house salad. Our waiter for the evening was Buddy Overdrive as he waited, cleared tables, forked over carry out, took telephone orders, refilled drinks, made recommendations, etc.

The pizza ingredients were the freshest. Sausage was a sausage patty approximately silver dollar size, spinach was whole leaves as opposed to frozen, banana peppers were sliced fresh, peppers (not tried but spotted on a neighboring table) were multiple colors and even tomato slices were flavorful. The boys loved the pepperoni.

As the evening progressed, Buddy slowed up enough to come over and give a little of the history of the place. It really feels like a time warp with the dark lighting, antique telephones and radios lining the wall space and a prominently displayed GNR Award from LTH.

We met Burt's wife and later i n the evening, Burt came out and said hello and sat down with a table of friends.

We'll be trying the leftovers out a little later on...
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/18 09:49:06 (permalink)
quote:

And the winner is...Burt's Place!

. . . as opposed to? What were the other place(s) that were in contention yesterday?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/18 14:10:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

quote:

And the winner is...Burt's Place!

. . . as opposed to? What were the other place(s) that were in contention yesterday?

Hi BTB - It really wasn't election day in Chicago...but early in the post, several folks voiced opinions for Lou's or Gino's pizzas. Having had Lou's and Gino's, and never tried or heard of Burt's (until this thread), we decided to sample it. The 8 samplers all felt it was the best of the deep dish/pan style pizzas we had tried.

While Chicago has so many pizza places, and we have not tried them all, we really enjoyed the freshness, flavor and crust of Burt's pizza.

I would second Buddy Roadhouse's assessment.
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 10:37:24 (permalink)
quote:
. . . It really wasn't election day in Chicago . . .

Hi ChiTown, Thanks. I was just curious as to whether there was a "head-on" taste testing on that day. I'm really glad you were happy with your pizza at Burt's.

As for the elections in Chicago, if you vote right, you can vote anytime you like, it doesn't matter. Even the dead vote in Chicago. And if you vote right, you can vote as often as you like. See, you voted for 8 people here on one posting in true Chicago voting tradition! Just joking.

My friends and family back in Chicago still tell me that Lou Malnati's in Lincolnwood is as great as ever. They report that they've been to Burt's and like it very much, too, but prefer the original "Lou's." And they remind me that Lou's just got voted No. 2 in City Guides "Chicago Best Pizza 2007" which was determined by consumer votes. Home Run Inn got voted Number 1 (deservedly so), but since they are thin crust, that means Lou's was the highest rated deep dish pizza. I know none of those surveys are perfect, but in so many different surveys done by so many different sources, Lou's is always so very highly rated. Hopefully, I'll see for myself when I again return to the area in a few months.

Again, I'm glad you had some great Chicago deep dish pizza. I envy you.
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 10:55:30 (permalink)
quote:

Jack Barry,

You have answered my question and here is my response:

If you are willing to drive to Lincolnwood or Buffalo Grove for a second or even third helping of Lou Malnati's second rate pizza (IMHO), then you should skip all of them and drive to Morton Grove to visit Burt's Place.

Burt Katz is a largely unsung Chicago Pizza hero travelling under the radar for more than 40 years. After Ike Sewell, founder of Pizzerias Uno's and Due's, Burt has had more to do with Chicago Style Pizza history and development than almost anybody else in the business.

He opened his first pizza place, The Inferno, with a couple of partners in the early 60s. He opted out of that after a year or so and started Gulliver's Pizza over on Howard Street. Its famed and recently deceased owner Jerry was merely a silent partner when Burt opened the place and built it into the Chicago Pizza icon it is today. Like so many other businesses, after achieving success, there was a falling out and Burt left the restaurant business for a few years. Unlike The Inferno, Gulliver's has stayed in business long after Burt's departure.

In 1971 Burt started Pequod's, another well known Chicago pizza icon, which he owned and operated until 1986 when he sold it and mistakenly believed he had retired. In 1989 he got bored and reopened as "Burt's Place" two blocks away from the original Pequod's location, going into head to head competition with his old store. He has been there ever since attaracting his old customers and new folks alike.

The pizza is outstanding. Custom blended and ground sausage served in silver dollar sized patties atop the pie. Not only are all the veggie toppings fresh; depending on market availability, you will frequently get shiitake and portabello mushrooms in addition to the standard white butons; red, yellow, and orange bell peppers mixed in with the usual greens; even fresh, full spinach leaves instead of the chopped and frozen mush you get at most places.

Now, in the name of full disclosure I must admit that I worked for Burt during the Pequod's glory days and continue to work for him on most Saturday nights (unless I'm out of town on my own business). Although I am fully employed in other pursuits, I stay with him out of friendship, loyalty, and the need for a free pizza once a week (although I would definitely pay for it if necessary; let's hope it doesn't come to that).

Jack, if you wise up and decide to make the trek out of the city here is the info:

Burt's Place
8541 N. Ferris
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-7997
Open Wednesday,Thursday and Sunday, 4:30-9:00pm
Friday and Saturday 4:30-10:00pm

From Downtown Chicago, get on I-94 going north all the way to the Dempster Street westbound exit (about 15 minutes). Take Dempster Street west to the fifth stoplight which will be Ferris. Make a left on Ferris (south) and go about 1 3/4 blocks. Burt's is on the left side of the street.

After that, if you still think you need to try Lou Malnati's, they can give you directions to the original Lincolnwood location which is on your way back into the city.

Enjoy your time here in Chicago.

Buddy

I keep meaning to try Burt's and I promise I'll get there soon.
danimal15
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 10:58:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Barry

Just got back from Chicago last night - had a great time. Unfortunately, we ended up going to the Lou Malnati's on N. Wells and I have to say I was not impressed. I'm sure the original location in Lincolnwood is better and will definitely give it a try (along with some other pizza places) next time I get out to Chicago.

We ordered a medium sausage/onion and a small sausage/onion/spinach. Being from Connecticut, I thought if I had any qualms about the pizza it would be because of its thickness, which I'm not used to. The structure of the pizza didn't really bother me much - the main problem was that the pizza was just too bland (especially the sausage/onion). The cheese, the sauce, and the sausage all lacked flavor. The cheese was also too stringy and worst of all, the interior of the crust was waterlogged – I’d imagine this was a result of the chunky tomato sauce used.

On the positive side, I will say the pizza with the spinach was better as the spinach was mixed with basil, garlic, and more onion which gave it an added flavor. Also, the exterior crust and end crust did hold up well despite the watery inside, and had a nice crispy texture to it.

My deep-dish experience at Malnati’s was really the only meal I left feeling under whelmed. Not a bad pizza, just an average pizza overall. Everything else I ate in Chicago was very good or great. I should be posting a few reviews or logbooks later this week.

I work around the corner from the Wells street location and agree it usually disappoints. It's a shame you couldn't make it to Lincolnwood, because the pizza there on a good night is some of the best in the city. Kind of reminds me how Uno and Due used to taste (well, maybe not that good).
danimal15
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 11:00:54 (permalink)
How does the crust at Burt's compare with the crust at Lou's? I've always felt that the crust is Lou's strength. For me, a true Chicago deep dish pizza has to have that yeasty flavor in the crust that I used to enjoy so much at Due and Uno.
danimal15
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 11:03:21 (permalink)
quote:

I've also had watery pizzas at Lou's. Very disappointing.

Where else did you eat in Chicago? It's my hometown, and I'm always curious what out-of-towners think of our food (and of our city).

Thanks.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 11:27:15 (permalink)
danimal,

First of, I loved Chicago - can't wait to get back (hopefully this summer). Other than the Lou's on N. Wells St., I was impressed with everything else I ate. I visited Superdawg (posted my review on Roadfood last night), Billy Goat Tavern (it was right by our hotel - burgers were OK, but mainly went for the atmosphere), Harry Carey's, The Weiner's Circle, Garrett's Popcorn Shop, Gene & Georgetti's, Portillo's for a hot dog (the one in River North - on Ontario, I believe), Ann Sather, Mr. Beef, and Al's #1 Italian Beef (original location on W. Taylor).

All-in-all, I liked Superdawg best for dogs, Mr. Beef (just slightly) over Al's for Beef, and really enjoyed the caramel/cashew and caramel/pecan popcorn I had while sipping on a few Goose Island Honker Ales atop the John Hancock Tower.

Jack
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 13:16:47 (permalink)
quote:

danimal,

First of, I loved Chicago - can't wait to get back (hopefully this summer). Other than the Lou's on N. Wells St., I was impressed with everything else I ate. I visited Superdawg (posted my review on Roadfood last night), Billy Goat Tavern (it was right by our hotel - burgers were OK, but mainly went for the atmosphere), Harry Carey's, The Weiner's Circle, Garrett's Popcorn Shop, Gene & Georgetti's, Portillo's for a hot dog (the one in River North - on Ontario, I believe), Ann Sather, Mr. Beef, and Al's #1 Italian Beef (original location on W. Taylor).

All-in-all, I liked Superdawg best for dogs, Mr. Beef (just slightly) over Al's for Beef, and really enjoyed the caramel/cashew and caramel/pecan popcorn I had while sipping on a few Goose Island Honker Ales atop the John Hancock Tower.

Jack

Can't believe I forgot to add Pegasus in Greektown - tried their appetizer gyro (came with huge mound of excellent gyro meat mixed with onions and warmed pita bread and tzatziki sauce on the side) and Mousakas (first-time I've had this dish - similar to a Greek shepard's pie - very good)
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 13:17:56 (permalink)
quote:

danimal,

Jack

Can't believe I forgot to add Pegasus in Greektown - tried their appetizer gyro (came with huge mound of excellent gyro meat mixed with onions and warmed pita bread and tzatziki sauce on the side) and Mousakas (first-time I've had this dish - similar to a Greek shepard's pie - very good)
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/19 19:17:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15
I work around the corner from the Wells street location and agree it usually disappoints. It's a shame you couldn't make it to Lincolnwood, because the pizza there on a good night is some of the best in the city. Kind of reminds me how Uno and Due used to taste (well, maybe not that good).

danimal15, I too have had a bad experience at Malnati's Well Street location on too many occasions, unfortunately, although I generally always have a great one at Lincolnwood, Buffalo Grove, or even Elk Grove Village. I would encourage you (or anyone else similarly inclined) to report your less than satisfactory experience about that location to Marc Malnati. He's got to know what that location is doing to the reputation of his father's great pizza business, especially with out of town visitors who frequent River North area eateries. One can write to him at Marc Malnati, c/o Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, 6649 North Lincoln Ave., Lincolnwood, IL 60712 or contact through their website at http://www.loumalnatis.com/contact/ . Through the website you should put the notation "Attention Marc Malnati" in the Comments section.
danimal15
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/20 12:12:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

danimal15, I too have had a bad experience at Malnati's Well Street location on too many occasions, unfortunately, although I generally always have a great one at Lincolnwood, Buffalo Grove, or even Elk Grove Village. I would encourage you (or anyone else similarly inclined) to report your less than satisfactory experience about that location to Marc Malnati. He's got to know what that location is doing to the reputation of his father's great pizza business, especially with out of town visitors who frequent River North area eateries. One can write to him at Marc Malnati, c/o Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, 6649 North Lincoln Ave., Lincolnwood, IL 60712 or contact through their website at http://www.loumalnatis.com/contact/ . Through the website you should put the notation "Attention Marc Malnati" in the Comments section.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have dined many times at the Lincolnwood location and enjoy it a lot. I can't understand why it's so hard to have quality be the same throughout the chain if one family owns it. At least I think they do.
danimal15
RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/20 12:13:36 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

danimal,

Jack

Jack - it sounds as though you hit all the right places - nice job. Next time try to make it to Athenian Room (on Webster just west of Halsted in Lincoln Park) for their Kalamata style chicken. The best chicken dish you'll ever order in a restaurant. (I know I'm always plugging the place - I swear I have no financial or family connection)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1