Question on Lou Manalti's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
2007/03/02 21:32:12 (permalink)

Question on Lou Manalti's

I'm headed out to Chicago next weekend and have decided to go to one of the Lou Manalti's locations to get my first taste of deep dish pizza. I'll be staying on the north side of the Loop on East Lake Street, so the closest one is on North Wells (I believe). I know it's a relatively small chain, but are some of the locations better than others or are the all about the same quality?

51 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 00:40:34 (permalink)
    The closest Malnati's to you is 439 N. Wells (at Hubbard). But why not go to the "main" Geno's East at 633 N. Wells (at Ontario) that is only 4 short blocks further, and get one with the single sausage patty (that covers the entire pizza) along with whatever other toppings you want. ( http://featuredfoods.com/a-store/gino_p3a.jpg ) Others may not agree, but I think the main Geno's East is still the best.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 03:27:11 (permalink)
    Go to Malnati's. Far superior.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 10:55:13 (permalink)
    Be aware that the "sauce" used at Malnati's is basically chunks of crushed tomato without much in the way of what I'd call sauce.....ie it is not smooth/spreadable/pourable

I'm not saying this is bad, not at all, but it may not be what you are expecting.

I strongly preferred the Giordano's stuffed pizza I had in Chicago, made with the regular smooth pizza sauce rather than the chunky style sauce.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 12:13:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jack Barry

I know it's a relatively small chain, but are some of the locations better than others or are the all about the same quality?
    Jack, your question raises some doubt on your part as to whether the location nearest your hotel is Malnati's best outpost. Further more, whether you realize it or not, it indirectly reveals a willingness on your part to travel some distance, if in fact there is a better option.

If this is the case, I can make some recommendations that will be far superior to either Malnati's or Geno's East. If I have misinterpreted the underlying meaning of your statement, then I wish you well and hope you have a fine time here in Chicago.

May I suggest that you do a search of these boards for countless discussions and recommendations on our fine city's best pizza, hot dogs, Italian Beef Sandwiches, hamburgers, Thai, Mexican, Italian, German, Polish, Middle Eastern, and many, many other types of food.

Have a great visit,

Buddy
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 12:24:18 (permalink)
    I agree with Jeepguy that Lou Malnati's, which usually wins the annual Number One (or Two) pizza award in CitySearch and other surveys for the Chicago area, is far superior to Gino's East. I've been to both many times -- even the original Gino's on Rush Street before they opened Gino's East -- and think Malnati's (except on a bad day) is the better deep dish pizza. Gino's East definitely has their following, tho. But hey, if you got time, go to both and decide for yourself. Or even add a visit to another great deep dish pizzeria very close by, Pizzeria Due (or Uno's a block away), and try the 3 best deep dish pizzas in the world (altho there are a couple others in the Chicago suburbs, too).

I do agree that if you go to Gino's East get sausage (the No. 1 pizza ingredient in Chicago), and get it with the single sausage patty (that covers the entire pizza). Otherwise you'll get a little piece of sausage with your pizza every 4 inches or so, which is not good. And I disagree about Giordano's stuffed pizza and strongly do not recommend it compared to the others mentioned above (unless you like ALOT of bland pizza dough, which I don't). On thin crust pizzas, I generally don't like chunky, crushed tomato sauces, but have found on deep dish pizzas that I actually prefer it that way. No where else do I like crushed tomato sauces except on deep dish pizzas. (Go figure) I think you'll really like it.

Parenthetically, the best Malnati's location is their original one in Lincolnwood (http://www.loumalnatis.com/locations/suburbs_lincolnwood.html) and their Buffalo Grove location. Their location on Wells street, I'm sorry to report, runs very "hot and cold", i.e., some days it's very good and some days (unfortunately too many days lately) it has been very poor. Let's hope you hit it on a good day if you go there. I'll be anxious to hear about your experiences. Good luck.
    sammur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 12:30:28 (permalink)
    I agree with TJ. Gino's East had been my all time favorite, dating back to the 70's. Someone told me to try Giordano's and it is better. If I could only go to onr, it would Giordano's. We went to the one near Penisula.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 13:20:53 (permalink)
    I think Manalti's has an edge over Gino's East- I think its the crust.
    Those who know Chicago Deep Dish Pizza know that it is traditionally served with Crushed Tomato Chunks versus a smooth sauce.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 13:56:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Those who know Chicago Deep Dish Pizza know that it is traditionally served with Crushed Tomato Chunks versus a smooth sauce.
    Gee, WJ, I guess you're just smarter than any dozen of us combined. We sure are lucky you are here to educate us, generously sharing your vast food knowlege.

I fully realize it is traditionally served with the chunky style 'sauce'. Tradition <> preference. You may recall, genius that you are, that when I was set to visit Chicago a couple of years ago, I started a thread to ask all kinds of questions about deep dish pizza and italian beef. I've tried both, and know what I prefer, and thats what I stated.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 14:20:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Gee, WJ, I guess you're just smarter than any dozen of us combined. We sure are lucky you are here to educate us, generously sharing your vast food knowlege.

There you go again, being the JACKASS that everyone knows you are.
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 14:25:04 (permalink)
    I agree with TJ.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 14:35:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by prius

I agree with TJ.

Of course you do,
    Please continue to support our trolls as well.
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 16:08:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:

I know it's a relatively small chain, but are some of the locations better than others or are the all about the same quality?
    Jack, your question raises some doubt on your part as to whether the location nearest your hotel is Malnati's best outpost. Further more, whether you realize it or not, it indirectly reveals a willingness on your part to travel some distance, if in fact there is a better option.

If this is the case, I can make some recommendations that will be far superior to either Malnati's or Geno's East. If I have misinterpreted the underlying meaning of your statement, then I wish you well and hope you have a fine time here in Chicago.

May I suggest that you do a search of these boards for countless discussions and recommendations on our fine city's best pizza, hot dogs, Italian Beef Sandwiches, hamburgers, Thai, Mexican, Italian, German, Polish, Middle Eastern, and many, many other types of food.

Have a great visit,

Buddy

Buddy,

Your interpretation is right. I've done many searches on various other Chicago foods and have a list of places I want to go in my 2 1/2 days there. Because of the short amount of time I have in Chicago, I am looking for what would be the best example of deep dish pizza in the city, as I am only going to eat pizza for one meal. From the suggestions on this thread and other past threads, it seems that Manalti's gets the best reviews. I was just wondering if Manalti's has a particular location that people feel is superior to the rest.

BTB's answer is what I was looking for, if I have time to get out to Lincolnwood or Buffalo Grove locations, I will. If not the North Wells location it will probably be.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 19:34:37 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

There you go again, being the JACKASS that everyone knows you are.

It's quite clear to me who fired the first shot here....and therefore, who the jackass is.
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/03 19:46:58 (permalink)
    the pans at the lincolnwood location are saturated with years of flavor, the orig and best location i think
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 16:32:20 (permalink)
    Jack Barry,

You have answered my question and here is my response:

If you are willing to drive to Lincolnwood or Buffalo Grove for a second or even third helping of Lou Malnati's second rate pizza (IMHO), then you should skip all of them and drive to Morton Grove to visit Burt's Place.

Burt Katz is a largely unsung Chicago Pizza hero travelling under the radar for more than 40 years. After Ike Sewell, founder of Pizzerias Uno's and Due's, Burt has had more to do with Chicago Style Pizza history and development than almost anybody else in the business.

He opened his first pizza place, The Inferno, with a couple of partners in the early 60s. He opted out of that after a year or so and started Gulliver's Pizza over on Howard Street. Its famed and recently deceased owner Jerry was merely a silent partner when Burt opened the place and built it into the Chicago Pizza icon it is today. Like so many other businesses, after achieving success, there was a falling out and Burt left the restaurant business for a few years. Unlike The Inferno, Gulliver's has stayed in business long after Burt's departure.

In 1971 Burt started Pequod's, another well known Chicago pizza icon, which he owned and operated until 1986 when he sold it and mistakenly believed he had retired. In 1989 he got bored and reopened as "Burt's Place" two blocks away from the original Pequod's location, going into head to head competition with his old store. He has been there ever since attaracting his old customers and new folks alike.

The pizza is outstanding. Custom blended and ground sausage served in silver dollar sized patties atop the pie. Not only are all the veggie toppings fresh; depending on market availability, you will frequently get shiitake and portabello mushrooms in addition to the standard white butons; red, yellow, and orange bell peppers mixed in with the usual greens; even fresh, full spinach leaves instead of the chopped and frozen mush you get at most places.

Now, in the name of full disclosure I must admit that I worked for Burt during the Pequod's glory days and continue to work for him on most Saturday nights (unless I'm out of town on my own business). Although I am fully employed in other pursuits, I stay with him out of friendship, loyalty, and the need for a free pizza once a week (although I would definitely pay for it if necessary; let's hope it doesn't come to that).

Jack, if you wise up and decide to make the trek out of the city here is the info:

Burt's Place
    8541 N. Ferris
    Morton Grove, IL
    (847) 965-7997
    Open Wednesday,Thursday and Sunday, 4:30-9:00pm
    Friday and Saturday 4:30-10:00pm

From Downtown Chicago, get on I-94 going north all the way to the Dempster Street westbound exit (about 15 minutes). Take Dempster Street west to the fifth stoplight which will be Ferris. Make a left on Ferris (south) and go about 1 3/4 blocks. Burt's is on the left side of the street.

After that, if you still think you need to try Lou Malnati's, they can give you directions to the original Lincolnwood location which is on your way back into the city.

Enjoy your time here in Chicago.

Buddy
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 16:52:07 (permalink)
    do you remeber the black studebaker that sat in front of pequods for decades
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 17:06:34 (permalink)
    Wow phil, that is some memory you've got there! The Studebaker was not planted there by Burt or anyone else at the restaurant. It belonged to one of the local gearheads who never seemed to get around to restoring it. I couldn't tell you when it disappeared or why. One day it was there and the next; gone.

Buddy
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 18:45:38 (permalink)
    Buddy - Never been to Burt's Place but it sounds like a great place to try. As you're in the know, are Satrudays impossible to get in? How about Friday's? Family orientated or more adult? Any other interesting menu choices?
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 19:49:21 (permalink)
    burts is so homestyle and family friendly he will sit down with you a minute to make sure everything is ok. at least it was in 85 when i left chi town for florida
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 21:09:13 (permalink)
    quote:

Jack Barry,

You have answered my question and here is my response:

If you are willing to drive to Lincolnwood or Buffalo Grove for a second or even third helping of Lou Malnati's second rate pizza (IMHO), then you should skip all of them and drive to Morton Grove to visit Burt's Place.

Burt Katz is a largely unsung Chicago Pizza hero travelling under the radar for more than 40 years. After Ike Sewell, founder of Pizzerias Uno's and Due's, Burt has had more to do with Chicago Style Pizza history and development than almost anybody else in the business.

He opened his first pizza place, The Inferno, with a couple of partners in the early 60s. He opted out of that after a year or so and started Gulliver's Pizza over on Howard Street. Its famed and recently deceased owner Jerry was merely a silent partner when Burt opened the place and built it into the Chicago Pizza icon it is today. Like so many other businesses, after achieving success, there was a falling out and Burt left the restaurant business for a few years. Unlike The Inferno, Gulliver's has stayed in business long after Burt's departure.

In 1971 Burt started Pequod's, another well known Chicago pizza icon, which he owned and operated until 1986 when he sold it and mistakenly believed he had retired. In 1989 he got bored and reopened as "Burt's Place" two blocks away from the original Pequod's location, going into head to head competition with his old store. He has been there ever since attaracting his old customers and new folks alike.

The pizza is outstanding. Custom blended and ground sausage served in silver dollar sized patties atop the pie. Not only are all the veggie toppings fresh; depending on market availability, you will frequently get shiitake and portabello mushrooms in addition to the standard white butons; red, yellow, and orange bell peppers mixed in with the usual greens; even fresh, full spinach leaves instead of the chopped and frozen mush you get at most places.

Now, in the name of full disclosure I must admit that I worked for Burt during the Pequod's glory days and continue to work for him on most Saturday nights (unless I'm out of town on my own business). Although I am fully employed in other pursuits, I stay with him out of friendship, loyalty, and the need for a free pizza once a week (although I would definitely pay for it if necessary; let's hope it doesn't come to that).

Jack, if you wise up and decide to make the trek out of the city here is the info:

Burt's Place
    8541 N. Ferris
    Morton Grove, IL
    (847) 965-7997
    Open Wednesday,Thursday and Sunday, 4:30-9:00pm
    Friday and Saturday 4:30-10:00pm

From Downtown Chicago, get on I-94 going north all the way to the Dempster Street westbound exit (about 15 minutes). Take Dempster Street west to the fifth stoplight which will be Ferris. Make a left on Ferris (south) and go about 1 3/4 blocks. Burt's is on the left side of the street.

After that, if you still think you need to try Lou Malnati's, they can give you directions to the original Lincolnwood location which is on your way back into the city.

Enjoy your time here in Chicago.

Buddy

Buddy,

Thanks for the history and info. If I was going out to Chicago by myself, I would definitely hit Burt's up. I'll pass on the advice to the rest of the people I'm going with (family and friends), but I'm afraid the general consensus will be to stay downtown, with only 2 days in the city. Either way I'll report back.

Thanks again,

Jack
    cookielover3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/04 21:40:23 (permalink)
    I live in Chicago and agree that Lou Malnati's in Lincolnwood is a great choice. I love the sausage pizza. I do not recommend Giordano's, personally I don't like it at all. I especially don't like their crust. To weigh in on the Lou's vs. Gino's East, I have nothing against Gino's East but I think Lou's is a better pizza!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 01:59:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Buddy - Never been to Burt's Place but it sounds like a great place to try. As you're in the know, are Satrudays impossible to get in? How about Friday's? Family orientated or more adult? Any other interesting menu choices?
    ChiTown, I cannot believe we've never discussed Burt's! Answers to all your questions in order:

Saturday's are busy but not insane. Plus if you show up on Saturday, I'll wait on your table!

Friday's are the insane night lately. Burt has gotten a lot of play lately at the LTHforum and a write up in Time Out magazine, bringing a lot of new customers in. Friday seems to be their favorite night to visit. Regardless of which night you decide to come in, calling ahead with your order is always advisable. The phone number is above and if you don't have a menu, you can expect to find the usual pizza topping choices (just don't ask for pineapple and ham-ugh-none of that newfangled stuff at Burt's)

Very family friendly. Almost a step back in time; from the real wood panelling to Burt's extensive collection of antique radios, televisions, telephones (he even takes phone orders on an old rotary dial phone-like I said, none of that newfangled push button stuff around here), and eclectic knick-knacks, this place is a wonderment for both kids and adults.

Burt does list some other entrees; mostaciolli, ravioli, lasagna, and even a very good pub burger. All are passable but he is known for his pizza and there's a good reason for that. Those items are on the menu as a courtesy for the occasional group of folks who have that one person who doesn't like pizza. If you must order something else, try the salads and the outstanding house made garlic bread.

I think that covers it. I'm usually there most Saturdays unless I'm travelling on Barbecue Business. When I'm not in, Burt's wife Sharon takes over. She is also there the other nights of the week.

That's the story, ChiTown. Maybe I'll see you some Saturday night for a pizza.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 02:06:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Buddy,

Thanks for the history and info. If I was going out to Chicago by myself, I would definitely hit Burt's up. I'll pass on the advice to the rest of the people I'm going with (family and friends), but I'm afraid the general consensus will be to stay downtown, with only 2 days in the city. Either way I'll report back.

Thanks again,

Jack
    Jack, if you are without a car and relying on taxis and public transportation to get around, I completely understand your desire to stay close to the hotel. If, on the other hand, you have your own vehicle, the ride to Burt's is only about 20 minutes away from where you're staying. It's a very easy, very direct trip with the directions I gave above.

And it's worth it.

Promise.

Buddy

P.S. Whatever you decide, enjoy Our Town. Make sure you take time to wander through Millenium Park across from The Art Institute. It came in four years late and hundreds of millions of dollars over budget and it was all worth it!

B.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 06:16:39 (permalink)
    quote:

" . . . Lou Malnati's second rate pizza."

Ouch! I don't think that's fair and I wouldn't say that about Burt's pizza. The deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's Lincolnwood pizzeria was so extremely good that it lead to one of the greatest success stories in Chicago pizza history, witness the growth of their business. You have customers almost beating down their doors to get in and eat their pizzas. Burt's I'm sure is very good but it is nowhere as successful as Malnati's, that's a given.

Malnati's deep dish pizza has long been a major feature in the summertime Taste of Chicago food festival held to illustrate the best of various Chicago's food items. They have more people at Malnati's booth trying out their pizza than anyone else's. Is Burt's featured there? I don't think so.

Malnati's consistently gets rated in the top 10 Best Pizzas in Chicago (often as No. 1 or 2) by consumers and editorial personnel in various surveys year after year after year. Has Burt's even gotten honorable mention in the Chicago City Guide Best Pizza survey or that in Chicago Citysearch or other rankings? I don't think so. I guess that's what was meant when it was said Burt's has been "travelling under the radar" (i.e., unrecognized). Malnati's, however, has been on the radar screen and big time, too. As those surveys and rankings consistently demonstrate, most of Chicago deep dish pizza lovers wouldn't agree with the inaccurate "second rate" characterization.

I've seen about 5 or 6 shows on nationwide television (Travel Channel, Food Network, etc) in which Malnati's was featured -- in part -- as one of the best examples of deep dish pizzas in Chicago. One of those shows even featured Mario Batali in the kitchen with Mark Malnati making and consuming one of their great deep dish pizzas. Was Burt's pizza featured on any nationwide television program in this way? I don't think so.

Now I don't work for Malnati's and am just a fan that's eaten probably too many of their pizzas for many years, mostly at their original Lincolnwood location. Buddy works for Burt's, gets free pizzas from there, and has a special relationship with the very congenial owner, none of which is bad, but all of which says that his opinion certainly cannot be said to be unbiased. He wrote a very nice commercial or marketing piece on Roadfood for Burt's (and on other websites as well). It was just the "second rate" thing that was disappointing.

For great deep dish Chicago pizza, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Lou Malnati's (my personal favorite), Burt's Place, Pequod's (Burt's former place), Gino's East, Pizzeria Due (former World's Best deep dish pizza, but still good), Louisa's (South suburbs), and some others that I can't recall at this time. Now great Chicago thin crust pizza is another story for another day.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 11:50:35 (permalink)
    BTB,

Okay, I'll apologize for the "second rate" comment, but with a reservation. Second rate in the big picture that is Chicago Style Pizza, maybe not. Second rate to Burt's; I'm gonna stick to that claim. And until you've tried Burt's (as I have tried Lou Malnati's), you don't have much of an argument here.

Using the logic that "You have customers almost beating down their doors to get in and eat their pizzas" as a way of proving its quality is spurious. There are millions of people eating at McDonald's every day (heck, every hour!) but that doesn't make it good. Success does not necessarily guarantee quality. Frequently success is greater evidence of a herd mentality in our society.

Your point about Malnati’s involvement in the Taste of Chicago is irrelevant. All those restaurants pay big money to participate, and they are lined up to get in. It’s not like the city of Chicago invites them to be there based on merit. Once again, McDonald’s has had a booth at the Taste in past years as well.

Which brings me to the next point about the many accolades heaped on Lou Malnati's. I have noted in other similar threads that places like Malnati's, Uno's, Due's, and Geno's East have been heralded by many national publications as the best representatives of Chicago's pizza community. More often than not, the reporters making these assertions are out of towners without knowledge of the local geography or the many small establishments that can't afford to advertise or hire a publicist. It is my assertion that these reporters are lazy and uninterested in finding the truly great establishments serving Chicago's best "fill-in-the-blank". They would rather stay close to their downtown hotels and rely on the past glories of once relevant restaurants that are now serving what I call Tourist Food.

It's kind of like the World Series declaring one of Major League Baseball's teams "world champions" when no other international teams are involved in the contest. In fact, at last year's international exhibition baseball tournament, our American all-stars were soundly beaten by a number of teams. You can't be the best in the world unless everybody is invited to play. Likewise you can't be declared Chicago's Best Pizza unless the person making that assessment has tried every pizza out there. And bear in mind, I have not said Burt's pizza is the best in Chicago, only that it is better than any of the others mentioned in this thread.

As for articles and recognition, most recently Burt was awarded the Great Neighborhood Restaurant Award by the LTHforum, a group of Chicago focused foodies with their own website. www.LTHforum.com is highly comparable to Roadfood but with a more scholarly approach that includes everything from high end dining to the more typical Roadfood preferences. They too were non-believers, even responding with hostility to my suggestion that Burt's was better than some of their choices. Less than six months later though, they had awarded him the GNR and declared his place not just a favorite for pizza, but a favorite restaurant overall.

That award led to a very positive article and accolades in Time Out magazine that has brought many new folks to our door.

If you take the time to go to Burt's you will see countless articles from the old Pequod's days when it seemed like every newspaper and TV station in town was writing us up on an almost monthly basis. It’s almost a blessing that this has not been the case in recent years. The current restaurant is very small with only nine tables serviced by two people; Burt cooking in back and either his wife or myself working the front. We couldn’t handle much more business if we wanted to.

As for my opinion being biased, yup, it sure is. It is also based on 34 years of professional experience and exposure to the Chicago pizza community, and 49 years of eating the stuff.

Once again, if after trying Burt’s pizza you still think Lou Malnati’s is better, I’ll respect that opinion. Until you’ve actually had the stuff though, there is nothing further to discuss.

Buddy
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 12:24:04 (permalink)
    Buddy,

Looking back at my posting, I probably overreacted to the second rate thing and am certain what you meant was just what you said, i.e. that in comparison to Burt's you think Malnati's is second to that, and that's fine. I apologize also. It's just that these threads sometimes last a long time and since Roodfood is such a great source of information and the subject is Malnati's, it could be researched and resurrected years later and someone -- not knowing the context -- might see Malnati's and the term second rate and get a wrong impression, which to me (being the Malnati's supporter that I am) is not right.

While I haven't tried Burt's (and I will in a few months when I return to the area), I've eaten a lot of Burt's pizzas when he owned Pequod's, which I've always maintained was very good, but just not as good as Lou Malnati's in my opinion and those of my pizza eating luncheon colleagues. That's what makes the world go around I guess. Is Burt's pizza at his current location significantly different from that when he owned Pequod's?

I can agree in some parts and disagree in others on some of your other remarks, but don't think it's useful or necessary to belabor the points and opinions. My opinions, too, are based on over 50 years of professional pizza eating experience. Well I don't know how "professional" it is, but my taste buds have never led me astray.

--BTB
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 12:25:01 (permalink)
    One might be led to believe BRH was eating deep dish pizza as an infant :-)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 12:56:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Okay, 47 years, you got me.

BTB, No further comment is necessary from either of us until you've had a chance to try Burt's pizza. It is not significantly different from his Pequods days, although it is quite different from the current product sold by the current management at Pequods.

What may have significantly changed though are your tastebuds. I don't mean that in a nasty way. But it has been 21 years since Burt owned that establishment and that would have been the last time you've tasted his pizza. A lot can happen to persons tastes in 21 years. I know mine have changed considerably. I appreciate things now that I might not have in my younger days. My opinion about what is good and what is not have altered over the years with experience and exposure to new things.

Let's leave this alone until your return to Chicago and have an opportunity to stop by Burt's and check it out. In fact, if I'm available and you want to do a head to head tasting of Burt's versus Lou's I will join you in your quest.

Buddy
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Question on Lou Manalti's 2007/03/05 13:06:21 (permalink)
    quote:

As long as no one pinned a note on him saying "Do not feed this boy!" as has occurred to others on this forum!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1