Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
  • Joined: 2001/11/30 21:45:00
  • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
2008/03/07 07:28:32 (permalink)

Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews

I'm confused roadfood.com staffers. Several time now I've seen the Latest Forum's on the home page highlight things like "NJ Hot Dogs" that were started a long time ago. That one currently has nearly 40 pages of posts...John Fox, Mr. Hot Dog, started it, and it drew lots of posts. But, why is it mentioned today as if it's a new post? So, I looked on page 40 and the most recent post is dated 2/28?

I posed this question before regarding a review of Harold's that was done a long time ago, but revisited (?) as what seemed to be a new review? I never got a response. You see it on the home page and immediately think someone has recently been to Harold's and there's a new review. Then you see many, many pages and so you think..Ok, maybe there's a recent one that's relevant today. But, that does not always happen eiother and so it gets really confusing.

Is it that there may not be enough current things and so you go back and bring past stuff up? If so, why not put the date it really was started and not today's date so we know it is not something new.
I cannot be the only one out there that does not understand the process. Maybe you can explain it? Thanks.
#1

19 Replies Related Threads

    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    • Joined: 2006/03/03 13:55:00
    • Location: Johnson City, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/07 07:41:50 (permalink)
    This is caused by somebody updating a post in a thread. The forum software treats it like it is a new post and brings the thread to the top.

    edit to say - in the forum, I believe somebody deleting a post from a past thread causes the same thing to happen.
    #2
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    • Joined: 2001/11/30 21:45:00
    • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/07 07:48:09 (permalink)
    Larry - I thought I understood that. But if today is 3/7/08, why would say "The Hot Dog" subject with 40 pages come up as a "Latest Forum" update and when you go look at it, the most recent post is 2/28/07? That's what's confusing me. Why wait until 3/7? And many times, you go to the last posting page and there is no recent post and yet it's been highlighted on the Home page so you think someone has just posted on the subject.
    #3
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    • Joined: 2006/03/03 13:55:00
    • Location: Johnson City, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/07 07:49:47 (permalink)
    There have been recent posts in that thread unless we are discussing two different hot dog threads. Akavar made a post in that thread today...


    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40&whichpage=40

    #4
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
    • Status: online
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/07 09:22:30 (permalink)

    The edited post that bumped the thread to "top of the list" may be on page 17 or 2 or 38. They all have the same effect. The last post on the thread does not necessairily mean the last addition or edit actually made to the thread.
    #5
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    • Joined: 2003/03/25 02:02:00
    • Location: Central FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/07 10:24:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen


    The edited post that bumped the thread to "top of the list" may be on page 17 or 2 or 38. They all have the same effect. The last post on the thread does not necessairily mean the last addition or edit actually made to the thread.


    ....but, if you click the little arrow on the home page next to the thread title, it takes you to the most recent post (or, perhaps in this case, the most recently edited post). The only flaw with that system is if there are pictures in the thread, you may not be brought EXACTLY to the newest post - but, if you scroll down a bit, you will find it. If a post was edited, it will say so in small print at the bottom of the post.
    #6
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/07 10:48:59 (permalink)
    One way to speed up looking for an edited post (if you use Mozilla--I don't know about IE) is to type <CTRL><F> and type "Edit" in the search area. If there's an edited post in that page "Edit" will be highlighted, and the date of editing is included. The search window will stay open until you close it, even if you navigate to another page, and you can search for the next or the previous entry.
    #7
    AHR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Joined: 2003/04/02 20:38:00
    • Location: NY, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/30 22:32:25 (permalink)
    Is the same true of "Latest Restaurant Reviews" on the Roadfood home page? I've recently seen any number of reviews at the top of the list, with the current date, that I could swear I've seen before--the same text, by the same authors.
    #8
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    • Joined: 2003/08/16 18:49:00
    • Location: Boston, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/30 22:59:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AHR

    Is the same true of "Latest Restaurant Reviews" on the Roadfood home page? I've recently seen any number of reviews at the top of the list, with the current date, that I could swear I've seen before--the same text, by the same authors.
    AHR, that's because the reviews may have been updated with new food photos, most frequently taken by a person who didn't write the original review. But I get confused, too...like with the Lombardi's review today. I've read that as a "new" restaurant review at least 3 separate times... Chris
    #9
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/03/30 23:19:55 (permalink)
    This message thread, These are the places I visited on Roadfood gets updated frequently by a few people who maintain lists. If Wandering Jew updates his list it will take you right back to post number 1 since he started the thread. This thread is probably the best example of an old thread updating frequently with few new messages. Then you have to envy these guys for being able to keep such exact records.

    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2976
    #10
    AHR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Joined: 2003/04/02 20:38:00
    • Location: NY, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/10 23:09:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ayersian

    quote:
    Originally posted by AHR

    Is the same true of "Latest Restaurant Reviews" on the Roadfood home page? I've recently seen any number of reviews at the top of the list, with the current date, that I could swear I've seen before--the same text, by the same authors.
    AHR, that's because the reviews may have been updated with new food photos, most frequently taken by a person who didn't write the original review. But I get confused, too...like with the Lombardi's review today. I've read that as a "new" restaurant review at least 3 separate times... Chris
    #11
    AHR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Joined: 2003/04/02 20:38:00
    • Location: NY, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/10 23:13:38 (permalink)
    [This is a continuation of the immediately previous post.]

    I think there's more to it than that. The "Latest Restaurant Review" for today, 4/10, is of Five Islands Lobster Company, in frigid Georgetown, Maine. There are no photos posted by anyone other than Mr. Stern and, according to the restaurant's web site, it doesn't open until Mother's day.
    #12
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    • Joined: 2000/07/12 11:09:00
    • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/11 00:17:32 (permalink)
    The Five Islands Lobster Company Review is entirely new, first added to this site this morning.

    Edit: by this morning I mean yesterday morning, Thursday.
    #13
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    • Joined: 2006/09/08 17:04:00
    • Location: Dallas, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/11 19:53:43 (permalink)
    And here is my 2 cents, for what it's worth; and I'll bet there are more than a few of you out there that feel the same!
    When a thread has been dormant, that is to say, not used or looked at, or responded to in oh, let's say a year or so- for heavens sake- can't it be eliminated, or archived or something? I get really frustrated pulling up a forum, that I think is new and interesting, only to discover that it started in 2003 and no one had anything to say after, let's say 2005 and then today it pops up as if it is NEW.....for me it is an entire waste of time and energy to scroll through umpteen pages of drivil. As for the reviews, granted I have only been on this site for a couple of years, and only writing in response to topics the past year or so, but it seems as if the same places show up like clock work, over and over- aren't there any NEW and DIFFERENT places that anyone has been to? Just my 2 cents.
    #14
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    • Joined: 2004/08/19 21:00:00
    • Location: Albany, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/11 20:02:51 (permalink)
    Personally I like the current format. The front page material spins very fast unless there is real interest in it. This is a good thing. Would be food spin doctors get lost really fast, especially if they are spaming the board as many do. That is a very good thing.

    Of course everyone wants to be on the front page, but I think the serious Roadfooders look at the forums they are interested in and make much better contributions. When they make such a contribution the thread should be resumed. What's so hard to understand about that?
    #15
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/11 20:43:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

    And here is my 2 cents, for what it's worth; and I'll bet there are more than a few of you out there that feel the same!
    When a thread has been dormant, that is to say, not used or looked at, or responded to in oh, let's say a year or so- for heavens sake- can't it be eliminated, or archived or something? I get really frustrated pulling up a forum, that I think is new and interesting, only to discover that it started in 2003 and no one had anything to say after, let's say 2005 and then today it pops up as if it is NEW.....for me it is an entire waste of time and energy to scroll through umpteen pages of drivil. As for the reviews, granted I have only been on this site for a couple of years, and only writing in response to topics the past year or so, but it seems as if the same places show up like clock work, over and over- aren't there any NEW and DIFFERENT places that anyone has been to? Just my 2 cents.


    See this thread:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26704

    It depends on what part of the country you are in. The east, and especially the northeast-pretty much blanketed, the rest of the country not so much.
    #16
    AHR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Joined: 2003/04/02 20:38:00
    • Location: NY, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/12 00:23:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

    The Five Islands Lobster Company Review is entirely new, first added to this site this morning.

    Edit: by this morning I mean yesterday morning, Thursday.
    Thanks. Do you know when it was actually written? Thursday morning was April 10, but the restaurant's web page states that it has been closed since October 8 and will not open again until May 11.
    #17
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    • Joined: 2000/07/12 11:09:00
    • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/12 07:23:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AHR

    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

    The Five Islands Lobster Company Review is entirely new, first added to this site this morning.

    Edit: by this morning I mean yesterday morning, Thursday.
    Thanks. Do you know when it was actually written? Thursday morning was April 10, but the restaurant's web page states that it has been closed since October 8 and will not open again until May 11.

    I don't know when Michael actually wrote it. I know I'm missing something, but what do the opening and closing dates have to do with it?
    #18
    AHR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Joined: 2003/04/02 20:38:00
    • Location: NY, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/12 11:55:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

    quote:
    Originally posted by AHR

    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

    The Five Islands Lobster Company Review is entirely new, first added to this site this morning.

    Edit: by this morning I mean yesterday morning, Thursday.
    Thanks. Do you know when it was actually written? Thursday morning was April 10, but the restaurant's web page states that it has been closed since October 8 and will not open again until May 11.

    I don't know when Michael actually wrote it. I know I'm missing something, but what do the opening and closing dates have to do with it?
    Oh, sorry. As their title would suggest, I always thought that the Latest Restaurant Reviews were current ones -- i.e., reviews of restaurants that were recently visited and reviewed -- especially since they have dates attached to them. It would be hard to visit and review a restaurant that's been closed for months. That's all.

    What has drawn the attention of some of us of late is the reappearance of reviews that we've known and loved from the past -- familar text and pictures -- as Latest Restaurant Reviews. (As an aside, it was a lot clearer in the past, and the reviews were concomitantly more useful, when an actual review date remained attached to each review, as they seem to be with the Logbook entries.)
    #19
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    • Joined: 2000/07/12 11:09:00
    • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Questions on "Latest Forums" and Reviews 2008/04/12 12:32:17 (permalink)
    OK, I understand now. That's not exactly how the restaurant reviews work. Sometimes, a review is written right after a visit. Not always. For instance, Five Islands is a place that has shown up in Jane and Michael Stern's books in the past. It's a place they've probably visited over the years, and the review reflects the sum of those visits. The review, I'm guessing, was waiting until Michael had some good photos to post; can't post a review without the photos.

    So why didn't he post the review as soon as he took the pictures? Who knows? Doesn't really matter, but maybe he visited at the end of the season and felt it would be more useful at the start of the next season. Or maybe they wrote about it in Gourmet, which requires them to wait a certain amount of time before posting it here. Or maybe he was busy with other things.

    Speaking for ourselves, we've posted reviews months after our last visit, for all sorts of reasons. I suppose other people do that too.

    You mention the reappearance of reviews that have no apparent changes. I can assure you that never happens. Ever. I know, because I do the posting. Every time a review has appeared, it's either new, or there are changes in the text or photos. What will happen occasionally: photos are added to a review, but we wait before reposting the review because we have a lot of other new reviews we want to post first. That's what happened with the Circle E Diner review we just posted today. The photos were added months ago, and it's only now made its way to the front page.
    #20
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1