Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche?

Author
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 144
2003/07/14 09:03:02 (permalink)

Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche?

Back in my professional chef days, I used to make a really good eating Quiche, if I can say so myself. I never see or hear of Quiche being on anybody's menu. Is Quiche still out there?

I would take a 9inch pie crust, and par-bake it (about 75% done). Then I would layer the bottom of the pie crust with a generous slathering of carmelized onions. Then I would build my layers of main ingredients, such as Ham & Asparagus, Shrimp & Crab, you name it you got it. Then, I would shred swiss & gruyere cheese, and pile it high over the main ingredients. To finish, I would whisk together whole eggs, heavy cream, a drop or two each of tabasco and worchestershire sauce, white pepper, salt. I would then pour the "batter" into the pie shell, allowing it to curve it's way through the cheese, and the main ingredients. I would garnish the top of the Quiche with fresh chopped parsley. Then I would put the pie crust on a sheet pan (or cookie sheet), and bake it "slow & low", about 275 until done.

After baking, they would cool and rest, perhaps putting them in the fridge. Then when a customer ordered Quiche, I would slice 1/6 of a pie, put it on a "sizzler plate", and put the slice in a convection oven 350, until that baby would rise and get golden brown. Then, I would lace a plate with an ounce or two of bechamel,
and place the Quiche on top, garnish with flowering kale and fresh berries.

So, does anyone still eat Quiche?

www.loveandquiches.com

12 Replies Related Threads

Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/07/14 09:34:29 (permalink)
    I do (or did until Atkins). My favorite is still bacon, sauteed onions, and gruyere. Pate brisee crust, And I use Julia Child's measurement for the custard -- three eggs in a two cup measuring cup, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Fill with heavy cream to make two cups.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/07/14 09:39:05 (permalink)
    Yep. My wife had a wonderful quiche about a week ago at Monument Cafe in Georgetown, TX. It was a simple ham, cheese, spinach one, but I took a bite and it was TASTY!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=508
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/07/14 10:02:29 (permalink)
    I loved your question because it is July 14, I am making Julia Child's French onion soupfor dinner this evening and we are going to have quiche Lorraine as our entree........I may do another kind too. Oh yes, we will be drinking French wine to go with it and homemade blueberry tart for dessert.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/07/14 10:28:36 (permalink)
    Bastille Day! Viva la France!, Viva la Liberti,Egality,et Fraterniti, Viva la Vin, Viva la quiche. (excuse the fractured French).

We will certainly have a bottle of French wine- something Rhone, I think. A little quiche for starters, Maybe chicken Provencal, ratatuille,
    a baguette to soak it all up, and finish with chevre and calvados. And maybe later a tri-color dessert - Strawberry ice cream (home made), whipped cream, and a few bluettes scatter on top.

ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/07/14 11:05:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

I loved your question because it is July 14, I am making Julia Child's French onion soup for dinner this evening and we are going to have quiche Lorraine as our entree........I may do another kind too. Oh yes, we will be drinking French wine to go with it and homemade blueberry tart for dessert.

I'm on my way ChezKatie, sounds good. Doesn't Tersiguel's do something special today too??
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/07/15 02:53:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

I do (or did until Atkins). My favorite is still bacon, sauteed onions, and gruyere. Pate brisee crust, And I use Julia Child's measurement for the custard -- three eggs in a two cup measuring cup, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Fill with heavy cream to make two cups.

I LOVE quiche, and it is very low carb. You can even do the same recipes without the crust and they turn out just the same. I often make a zucchini or asparagus crustless quiche and have it for breakfast since the doctor told me to limit my carbs.
    SkyyeBlue
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/08/08 05:05:19 (permalink)
    My Mom's Famous Spinach Pie:

1 box chopped frozen spinach
    3 or 4 cloves sliced garlic
    1 tbs olive oil

Slice the garlic, throw it in the microwave with the oil and a splash of water, cook about 7 minutes. It doesn't have to be completely cooked and will be "wet"...

1 cup milk
    1 brick of monterey jack cheese (usually 8 oz, I think, the rectangular ones you find in the dairy aisle). Kick it up a notch and use the Pepper Jack if you like, or half and half (half pepper, half plain)
    3 eggs, beaten
    2 tablespoons flour

Dice the cheese into cubes 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Add flour and toss to coat. Add milk and eggs, mix. Add cooked spinach, DON'T ADD ALL THE LIQUID. Make sure you get all those bits of garlic. Add a bit of salt and pepper, maybe some pepper flakes too. Mix well, gently, and pour into your favorite frozen pie shell. I usually get the "deep dish" style

Cook at 350 degrees for about an hour, until the top is slightly golden. Beware, you may want to put the pie on a cookie sheet, this baby may drip a bit, depending on how much excess liquid you've got.

Soooo good, a family staple. Reheats in the microwave for yummy leftovers. A big hit at potlucks and very easy (and cheap!). The basic recipe is this but you can substitute broccoli and other cheeses. This is my favorite though.

Bon Appetit!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/08/08 09:22:30 (permalink)
    Ham, cheese and broccoli, with onion of course! I surprise my family(it's a good surprise)with a couple of these for breakfast, well brunch. We're all late sleepers!
    familydok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/08/27 07:45:33 (permalink)
    The easiest recipe I have found for quiche is using Bisquick and putting it in a blender with the milk, cream, eggs and spices. Then just pour it in a greased pie plate where you have placed the cheeses, meats, veggies, etc. It's so easy and quite good.
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/08/27 18:06:03 (permalink)
    louise makes a cajun style quiche with crawfish tails
    when tails weren't available we got adventuresome and used a pound of bay scallops-the bar has been raised
    bell peppers and onions and lots of garlic and a bit of cayenne..
    it is always a treat
    we liked it so well we stuck with the scallops when making ettoufee'
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6827
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/08/28 01:52:20 (permalink)
    Seafarer John is being arrested by the French language police! Wow! He massacred that language........no matter, good intentions anyways! (Good thing we all have a great sense of humour here!)
    My favorite is the Alsacian style rather than the Lorraine style, with more leeks than onion, a little bacon, a little cheese and a little custard in an almost-puff pastry crust. Divine. With a cold glass of gewurtztraminer......nectar from the Gods!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Quiche...does anyone still eat Quiche? 2003/08/28 14:25:19 (permalink)
    LLeechef: What really scares me is that I might be arrested by the Ashcroft gang for saying something nice about the French (un-American in time of war, and all that). And, my experience with the French speaking peoples of this world has been that they are very nice and understanding about my ignorance of the niceities of their language.
    I have never had anything but good relations with them - especially when they saw American currency in my hand.
    Gevertz is great with just about any dairy product. I love Alsatian wines, but I really love the great Gevertz being produced in our own Finger Lakes region.

On another thread (seafood) I asked for help with "weakfish". I think you are the one who could help me grill up a good one. I'd assume that as a New England chef you must have had some experience with that particular fish...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1