Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day

Author
strongy78
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
2013/04/04 00:59:12 (permalink)

Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day

So.....made a quick 4 day trip over to AZ to see my St. Louis Cardinals on opening day.  The trip was fun and I ate at a few good places.  Here are some pictures of the food ;-)

Our first stop and last stop was at Teds.  They serve up some great dogs.  On this trip I decided to eat every dog they have excluding a veggie dog (not really a hot dog anyways) and a kiddie dog (I am not a kid...I am a large hungry man).  First picture is a Polish, a white hot, a foot long and a corn dog.  My wife ate the fries and I drank the loganberry shake.  I did not enjoy this one as much as the second.  The peppers and onions I got on the sausages made the bun soggy.  I stuck with just mustard and onions on the second trip.  2nd picture is an Italian, a bratwurst, a regular dog and an all beef dog.  We had some onion rings with that meal and I washed it down with another loganberry shake.  I have had all these dogs before on separate occasions and have come to this conclusion.  Avoid the foot long, the corn dog and the white hot.  The foot long tastes different and the few times I have had it, the bun starts to fall apart and tasted stale.  The corn dog is just your regular Foster Farms corndog you can buy at the grocery store.  The white hot just doesn't have much flavor.  The other sausages (The Italian is my favorite) and regular/all beef dogs are fantastic!

We ate at Grimaldis 3 separate times during our trip.  We don't have great pizza here in San Diego.  Grimaldis in Arizona is as good as you can get out West IMO.  The first picture is a large pepperoni and garlic pie.  The second picture is a personal sized pepperoni pizza from their lunch special/menu.  The third picture is a personal sized meatball calzone from their lunch special/menu also.  The lunch pictures were the best of the trip.  The smaller pizzas really crisp up in the coal fired oven....the larger pizzas we had were a tad "gummy/soggy" in the middle of some pieces.  The meatball calzone was awesome!  I would definitely get it again.

We had excellent BBQ at Rudys BBQ in Chandler.  I was very impressed!  We got a ton of food but we sat inside and my pictures turned out bad.  This first picture is of their pork spareribs.  They look burnt but they weren't.  They had a great crust and were delicious!  The second picture is of smoked turkey.  It was really good.  We also ordered some baby back ribs (awesome),  brisket (awesome), chicken (not that good), a baked potato with brisket (huge and awesome), and some creamed corn (just ok).  This was some legit BBQ though.  Smoke rings throughout and I didn't even have to put a drop of sauce on it....ate it plain and let the meat shine through.  I wish we had come back again but we didn't have enough time.

Had some donuts from this place called Bosa donuts.  I would grab my coffee from Dunkin Donuts and then drive down here (all within a mile of each other) and get some donuts.  Pictured is a chocolate raised, a crumb, a glazed and a chocolate covered buttermilk bar.  The buttermilk bar may have been the best donut I have ever had.  We have a place in SD called Marys Donuts which are excellent IMO.  This buttermilk bar was better than any donut I ever got at Marys.  I returned twice more for the same donut.  It was that good!

My wife is not a big fan of sushi because of the fish.  She had it one time with chicken and loved it.  She saw this place called  "How do you roll?" on Shark Tank one night.  She found out they make sushi with chicken so she wanted to try it.  This place is like a Subway of sushi.  You tell them what you want in it, they assemble it down the line, cut it up and hand it to you.  Pretty cool concept.  Pictured is my roll which consisted of seaweed paper, white rice, shrimp, avocado, green onion and jalapeno.  I had some sweet chili sauce on the side.  I was impressed.  It was good!  My wife loved her chicken roll  too.  I think it was her favorite thing she ate all trip.

Stopped at a place called Lucky Boy Burgers in Phoenix.  Been there since 1951.  Little burger joint.  It was alright.  Not great but it filled my burger fix.  Pictured is a double Lucky Boy burger and fries.  I also had a chocolate shake.  I don't know if I would return but it was alright in a pinch.

Never been to a Whataburger before so I decided to stop by.  I was happy with my burger.  I got a double burger with cheese and a vanilla shake.  The burger was larger than I expected and I thought it was delicious.  The shake was a little "icy"...wouldn't get one again.  

We went to Lo Los Chicken and Waffles for breakfast one morning.  Pictured is a number 5.  Sheedahs Special.  It was one waffle, one breast and one wing.  My wife got the same thing.  We also got some collards (not that good).  The chicken was great, the waffle a tad soft.  Still good but I prefer a crisp/crunch to my waffles.  They also have Kool Aid on tap.  I got a large red one and they give it to you in a huge mason jar.  It was super sweet but I dug it.  Definitely a good meal and I would come back in a heartbeat.

Well.....thats about it.  We ate some good food and got to see two baseball games.  Cardinals lost the first one but they won last night.  It made it a fitting end to a great short little trip.  

20 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8703
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 07:33:35 (permalink)
    Very nice!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 07:40:29 (permalink)
    Some good looking food,especially Grimaldi's pizza. Thanks!
    rneiner
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 07:56:43 (permalink)
    looks good----Go ST.LOUIS CARDS!!!!!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5240
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 09:32:43 (permalink)
    The Lucky Boy burger certainly looks good...sorry to hear it fell short in the taste department.

Nice job covering all the hot dog bases!
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1492
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 10:24:21 (permalink)
    Nice report!

Too bad the dogs didn't live up to their pics--they looked awesome.

I loved Grimaldi's when I was there for spring training a couple of years ago.

Lo-Lo's is great!  My tip for waffles is to always ask for extra crispy.  It works most of the time.

My Giants will be playing your Cards this weekend!
    post edited by love2bake - 2013/04/04 10:26:01
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 11:20:17 (permalink)
    Good Job on your report. I am not much of a H Dog fan...but those got my attention !
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8408
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 14:04:06 (permalink)
    Outstanding pictures!

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 15:02:54 (permalink)
    Nice report Strongy!

I don't think I ever had the french fries at Ted's (Buffalo). I love the onion rings. They are some of the best onion rings...ever.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 16:06:29 (permalink)
    When I looked at the pictures, I thought, "Those look like Ted's.  But where did the corn dog come from?"  I don't recall seeing them at the Ted's locations around here.  Good report.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 18:00:16 (permalink)
    Nice report!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2535
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 18:24:04 (permalink)
    Great report, I just got back from lolo's extra crispy waffle good tip l2b. 3 chix legs, breading crispy, not to salty, chicken juicy, It's a winner....... Off to the pool it's 90 degrees here......pnwc
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/04 21:38:19 (permalink)
    Love2bake- Thanks for the tip on the waffle.  Next time Im out there I will definitely order it that way.  Giants vs Cards is the game of the week on Fox down here in SD. Should be a good series!

All- Thanks for the nice comments!  
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/05 02:56:34 (permalink)
    Good Job Strongy. You hit some good spots! Which LoLo's did you go to? The one by the ballpark? If so, did you notice the old yellow house behind the restaurant? That's the original location.
    I'm a big Teds fan and I wish you had taken a picture of the onion rings so the folks could have seen them. They're made fresh from scratch every day. My Favorite.
    The White Hot is meant to be a mild sausage. It's made with veal and imported from Buffalo as all the tubes of meat are. The corn dog is mainly there for the kiddies.
    I just found Rudy's a couple weeks ago myself. It's near my office. and I have to fight off the temptatrion to go there every day for Lunch. As you found out, it's outstanding. Did you happen to see the pallets of logs out back? They use real wood logs, not pellets or chips to smoke their meats.
    Bosa's is locally owned. They only had one store for quite a while but have expanded recently.
    Now that we see how you roll food-wise, next trip over, you need to put The Fry Bread House, Carolina's Mexican, Mrs. Whites' Golden Rule and The Chuckbox on your list.
    http://thechuckbox.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-fry-bread-house-phoenix
    http://www.carolinasmex.com/
    http://www.mrswhitesgoldenrulecafe.com/wp/
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/04/05 02:59:35
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/05 10:59:07 (permalink)
    Foodbme-  Thanks for the recommendations!  Here is a picture of a half eaten bag of onion rings ;-)  Not the best picture but its all I can find right now (I have better pictures of their onion rings from past trips somewhere).

love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1492
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/05 11:50:13 (permalink)
    My gosh--I can smell that picture!!!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8408
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/05 12:10:29 (permalink)
    I have a How Do You Roll on my corner.  I can walk there!  Next time you're in a sushi place tell your wife to order a tamago roll.  Inside instead of fish is a sweet omelet.  Unless of course she doesn't like eggs.

Isn't that assembly line amazing?  You really take great pictures.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10518
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/15 10:15:32 (permalink)
    Really nice report strongy78!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post it.  Love Ted's!  I was surprised to find out last year from a manager at the Tonawanda, NY location that they use a completely different type of wiener for the foot long. 
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/17 23:53:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Mar and BB.  I appreciate the read!  I know I don't post on here too often but I'm glad you guys enjoy what I post LOL.  All the pictures were taken with my Samsung Galaxy SII.  Takes really good pictures for a camera phone.  My next trip I plan on making is to New Mexico for a few green chili cheeseburgers.  Will keep you guys posted!  Thanks again guys!  I really like these forums and the great group of people that contribute....it keeps me entertained all the time!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/18 00:50:17 (permalink)
    Lettuce Entertain You!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10518
    Re:Quick Arizona Trip for Opening Day 2013/04/18 08:05:13 (permalink)
    strongy78 
     My next trip I plan on making is to New Mexico for a few green chili cheeseburgers.
    Have a great time in New Mexico and hopefully you will do a trip report.  I love green chile cheeseburgers! 

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1