The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Quick Mexican

Hotchilliman

• Total Posts: 6
Quick Mexican Mon, 07/5/04 8:57 AM (permalink)

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Quick Mexican Mon, 07/5/04 6:16 PM (permalink)
    Here's a trick I use for quick red Mexican rice. A company named Goya makes some stuff called "Sofrito" they sell in jars at many places that carry Mexican groceries. Actually, the term "sofrito" is generic and refers to a sauteed mixture of veggies used in many rice dishes in not only Mexican, but also Italian and Spanish cuisines. But Goya's version in a jar contains tomato, onions, celery and peppers--all the stuff you want in your red rice. So, I usually just saute' a little extra chopped onion and carrot (if I have it) in a pan. After a few minutes I add about 2 tbsp of the Sofrito, then about a cup of rice. Saute' a bit more, add about 2 cups water (or you could use chicken broth), lower the heat very low and clap on the lid for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat but leave the lid on for another 15 minutes or so. Serve.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
      RE: Quick Mexican Tue, 07/6/04 8:30 AM (permalink)
      BT, Thanks for the information about sofrito. It brought back some good memories. I was a sous chef in a restaurant that served food from the mediterranean. We made large batches of sofrito to use in various dishes. One favorite of the staff for family food was rice cooked just like you talked about with a poached egg on top. It was great at midnight after a very busy shift (with a shift drink, of course). Zataar.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com