Quick Report for a Quick Trip-MI to NC

Author
JDAStonewall
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2010/02/12 20:06:23 (permalink)

Quick Report for a Quick Trip-MI to NC

Last week I asked for a few suggestions of places to try on a quick two day trip from Michigan to North Carolina. Wabbit and buffetbuster came through with some great suggestions. The point of the trip was for my father-in-law and I to move all of my sister-in-laws belongings to Charlotte. So keep in mind that for the whole trip I was pulling a 16 foot trailer.  Our first planned stop was a suggestion from buffetbuster called Miller's Chicken in Athens, OH. When we were an hour away I called to make sure they were open. The phone just rang and rang. Nervous but hoping I just had an old phone number I decided to go anyway. Athens is the home of Ohio University and Millers is in an area that has lots of houses that students rent. It reminded me of the houses around any college campus except these houses were built on the side of a mountain along narrow streets. Not the best place to be pulling a trailer. When we pulled up the place was deserted. We had been Travelin Manned. They are closed on Sunday. The place looked great and from what I have read so is the food. I will definitely be stopping my next time through.

Miller's Chicken
235 West State Street
Athens,OH

For a backup we head to Abrio's Brick Oven, a pizza place also in Athens that also serves pasta and has a large selection of gelato. We ordered the 14" Con Pollo, Ricotta cheese, with fresh tomato, chicken breast, onion, mushrooms, and fresh basil. The toppings all tasted fresh except for the chicken, it tasted like canned. We also had side salads with a good house parmesan dressing. The pizza was good but not great. I would have to try another of their pies before I make a final decision on them.

Abrio's Brick Oven
859 East State Street
Athens, Ohio

My sister also lives in North Carolina and I wanted to see her but she lives in the Durham area so we decided to meet at place in Winston-Salem that Wabbit had suggested called Hill's Lexington Barbecue. Hill's looks just liked you would expect. Pig knick-knacks here and there, welcoming staff, a long counter with stools, everything that I think a barbecue place should have. We all got the chopped plate with vinegar slaw. I also had the beans while my sister and father-in-law had the fries. The meal also came with rolls and some excellent hush puppies. The meal was great but the star of the show was dessert. Hill's is known for their banana pudding and after one bite you will know why. It is outstanding. They serve it warm with lots of pieces of banana mixed with nilla wafers and bits of meringue. No boxed pudding flavor here, just made from scratch goodness. If you go to Hill's don't even think of leaving without trying some.

Hill's Lexington Barbecue
4005 N. Patterson Avenue
Wintson-Salem, NC

After saying goodbye to my sister we finished our journey to Charlotte where we unloaded everything in enough time to watch the last five minutes of the Super Bowl. We stayed the night at a Drury Inn in the northern part of Charlotte. The next day we woke early and had the free breakfast at the hotel. It was quite good as far as hotel breakfasts go. I had waffles, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit, a donut, and scrambled eggs. I ate a very large breakfast since "we had a long way to go and a short time to get there." We had to be back in Michigan by 7pm so we only stopped for gas. Overall it was a quick trip but good one.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1