"R" Place in Morris, Illinois

Author
jailguard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/09/11 09:11:49 (permalink)

"R" Place in Morris, Illinois

Just visited "R" Place in Morris, Illinois yesterday and after ten years, the food is still good as ever. This place is known for it's hub cap tenderlion. It truly is as big as a hub cap. Would recommend it for old toy enthuasits. It boasts loads of old toys from the 50's and 60' and so on. Visit the gift shop afterward. It's located right off of I 80 and Illinois Route 47.

18 Replies Related Threads

firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/09/11 09:31:35 (permalink)
    Family owned? Maybe yours?
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/09/11 09:33:11 (permalink)
    thanks for the review jg. must have been good to get you to come out of lurking status ;-)

saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/09/11 10:00:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

Family owned? Maybe yours?

What leads you to believe this? He has recommended 4 other restaurants South of Chicago. He must be acquiring them every few minutes and then touting them on the site.
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/09/13 14:00:56 (permalink)
    I was talking last month with a truck driver friend of mine - trying to get tips on stops for my IN and KY trip. Since I live in Illinois, she recommended a few local places, too - and she mentioned "R Place."

(I remember because I thought it was "Our Place" and she said, no, "R - like Toys R Us.)

So, kudos from my trucker friend.
    I should stop at R Place this weekend and try...it since it's just a 30 min drive.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6395
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/09/13 17:01:21 (permalink)
    Rockwell Inn in Morris, IL has a worth pork tenderloin sandwich as well. I'll have to try R Place the next time through but I am being lobbied heavily to try the Igloo Drive In in Peru on the next trip.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwich_Blog/Entries/2007/5/15_Rockwell_Inn_Restaurant%2C_Morris%2C_Illinois.html
    jailguard
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/12/22 10:38:25 (permalink)
    UPDATE:
    I read in the local paper that since "R" Place is technically attached to a gas station and not a free standing unit it was sold to Petro Petroleum Co. They have hired the former owner as their restaurant manager. She has sworn that they will not change the menu or the ambiance of the restaurant. I haven't been there since the buyout but will keep you all updated.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/12/22 10:41:28 (permalink)
    I have friends who make a special trip to eat at R Place now and then, I'll have to check the status with them.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2007/12/22 12:49:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

Rockwell Inn in Morris, IL has a worth pork tenderloin sandwich as well. I'll have to try R Place the next time through but I am being lobbied heavily to try the Igloo Drive In in Peru on the next trip.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwich_Blog/Entries/2007/5/15_Rockwell_Inn_Restaurant%2C_Morris%2C_Illinois.html

I did end up going to the Igloo in Peru. Now I wish I had gone to R Place.
    Jeep2000
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/02/15 16:20:14 (permalink)
    I have had two great meals there prior to the new owners. One included some sweet potato bisque that I still think of constantly to this day.
    I need to go check it out and see if things are still as good.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/02/15 20:34:22 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Some years ago, I was passing through Morris, Illinois, and stopped and ate at a mom & pop eatery downtown. I remember being quite impressed, although for the life of me, I can't remember its name... only that it was in a very central location, on the main drag downtown.
    Could that have been on Illinois Highway # 47? -- After awhile that night, on a ways south of Morris, I went through Gibson City. I think I have the highway number correct from memory.
    Not Sitting In A Morris Chair Nor Doing Morris Dancing, Ort. Carlton in the Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I AM researching the life of W. J. Morris of Fitzgerald, Georgia, who died in the Terminal Hotele on May 16, 1938 (and the lives of the 34 other people who died with him). He and his wife Verna had ten children. Their amazing two-story cement-block house is still in the family in Fitzgerald, right by the old A., B. & A. track that he worked on as an engineer.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/29 11:30:14 (permalink)
    I will be heading out on my 2008 pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit in 46 days as of this typing and a stop again in Morris, IL may be possible. Any updates on the R Place Restaurant?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/30 15:54:46 (permalink)
    Davydd, nothing to report on R Place, but if you're trip to Morris takes you any where near the Chicagoland area, it would be a pleasure to meet up on my turf. Let me know your schedule and I'll see what my availability is like.

Buddy
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/30 16:28:31 (permalink)
    44 days and counting. Buddy, I am thinking I may do a repeat of last year. We'll head out and stay near the Dells or La Crosse. Then we will drive down I-90/94 to I-39 and across I-80 and eventually camp at the Indiana Dunes State Park. That will afford us a pork tenderloin sandwich stop at R Place. Last year we stopped at the Rockwell Inn in Morris and had a very good BPT. I have to give Illinois some equal billing with Iowa and Indiana. We always try to skirt Chicago since we have had three, count them three, dustups with semis including totaling a Saturn by being rear ended. The date is Wednesday May 14.

We are counting on you sometime this summer to set up at the Lunds Wayzata or Lunds Navarre store and then going further down Shoreline Drive and having dinner at the Tonka Grill & BBQ.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/31 01:32:45 (permalink)
    Well, talk about your O. Henry stories; on Wednesday, May 14th as you are driving south into Illinois, we will be heading up to Minneapolis for the first of three trips this summer. I'd plan a meeting somewhere midway through Wisconsin, but our departure time is never cut and dried, and I wouldn't want to inconvenience you.

Additional Twin Cities visits (as of this writing anyway) will be June 19-22, and August 21-24. We have no specific schedule yet of which stores we'll be visiting on which dates, but I will start that thread when I have enough info to do so. We hope to see you on at least one of those trips.

Enjoy your ride through the lower Midwest! Eat a pork tenderloin for me.

Buddy
    psychman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/31 07:26:48 (permalink)

Stopped twice at R Place over the weekend. Had breakfast the first time which was great.Second time - stopped for lunch - had the large tenderloin. In my opinion, it was nothing to talk about. Yes it is large but that's about all. Thin and tasteless with poor breading. Service and atmosphere at R Place is great. I would highly recommend it - but not the tenderloin!

Psychman

Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/31 10:54:31 (permalink)
    psychman,

Thanks for the report. Have you tried the Rockwell Inn in Morris for a tenderloin? There's was thick, huge and nicely breaded. I would appreciate a comparison with R Place or any other place along I-80 until we stop at the Indiana Dunes State Park.

Buddy,

As of right now we most likely will be in Minnesota on those June and August dates or we can work around them. We plan two more major road trips at the end of July (east and southeast) and the end of September (southwest). Major means a week or more. The rest of the trips would be closer to 2-4 days getting lost in the northern woods.
    godsil
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2008/03/31 21:35:48 (permalink)
    Because we hale from Galesburg, IL, we hit R's Place for a meal during nearly every trip to Chicago...3-5 times per year. The atmosphere is very comfortable, so very clean, and the waitresses are great. Some young, some not so young; and always pleasant. The menu is massive, I love the tuna melt. Comes on marble rye for me; you pick the bread you like. All the antique toys are fun to look at. They're everywhere! I always love seeing something new each time we visit that's a blast from the past.
    ezrydr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: "R" Place in Morris, Illinois 2012/10/31 13:07:02 (permalink)
    First of all, yes I know this thread is old, but good food never goes out of style, right?

R Place is still going & still good, but I heard mention of the Hubcap tenderloin. It's also still there & still good, but it's a Polancic's (as in Polancic's Meats out of Ottawa Illinois just west down I-80 about 20 miles), not a homemade one. You can go there and buy'em frozen, several packaged together.

If you want a TRULY good tenderloin in this area of Illinois, check out Lindey-Gertie's (also in Morris Illinois). They make their own & while they're also thin, the flavor of the breading is much better & the cut of pork is more tender. Big as a medium pizza & twice as tasty. They have a special that includes fries a drink & chili with your tenderloin for like $8.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1