RIBS prep?

Author
ericm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2003/10/29 01:07:58 (permalink)

RIBS prep?

So what is everyone favorite way of making ribs at home?

Personally I like to place two slabs in a deep foil pan, cover in sauce (current favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory) cover pan with foil and cook at 350 degrees for 2.75 hours. Finish cooking on the grill.

16 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 08:43:05 (permalink)
    I take spares and convert them into St. Louis style which is the spares with the feather bones on top cut off. I then pull the membrane off the back of the ribs and put Bonesmoker's rub on them. Not real heavy though.

I then smoke the ribs for about five hours in my smoker at 225*. After three hours I spray them every hour with a mixture of 90% apple juice and 10% Jack Daniels.

John
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 08:45:01 (permalink)
    One correction, "I spray them every half hour".

John
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 10:40:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

I take spares and convert them into St. Louis style which is the spares with the feather bones on top cut off. I then pull the membrane off the back of the ribs and put Bonesmoker's rub on them. Not real heavy though.

I then smoke the ribs for about five hours in my smoker at 225*. After three hours I spray them every hour with a mixture of 90% apple juice and 10% Jack Daniels.

John
    Yo, rib.... I bet the 90% apple juice goes on the ribs and the 10% JD goes in you.
    Mine are similar in that I slather the ribs w/ yellow mustard and then apply the rub. Sometimes I mop, sometimes I don't. Smoke at 200-225 for 5-6 hrs, then keep warm in foil until suppertime.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 10:51:46 (permalink)
    I sprinkle the ribs with Lawry's, and rub lots of garlic, and add a drop or two of liquid smoke and bake covered in a slow oven for about an hour.

I make my sauce using Kraft original as a base, and add MORE garlic, cayenne, ginger, and chili powder.

I then pour the sauce all over the partially cooked ribs and let marinate for an hour.

Then I finish them off on the grill.

They always turn out great, and everyone who has had them loves them. They are usually requested for family birthday dinners.
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 12:18:54 (permalink)
    ericm....

Here is my technique for winning ribs. I personally use a smoker, but have done these in the oven and on the grill.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Competition Ribs

The following technique will work in any cooking vessel that can maintain a steady temp for 6 hours. This includes, charcoal grills, gas grills, electric smokers, even the oven.

OK, here we go.........

Rub the night before...NOT critical, but better. You can rub prior to putting the ribs on the smoker and they will turn out very nice.

Fire up your smoker and immediately put your ribs on.

Stabilize your temp at 225º at the GRATE level. MOST important!

Let cook, untouched, for 2 hours. Then baste with your favorite mop. I use 2 parts apple juice, 1 part oil and 1/2 part vinegar and I then add about 2 TBS of my rub.

Let cook for another hour...total time so far..3 hrs.

Lay out a large sheet of heavy duty foil.....Reynolds is the only kind to use…..DON'T even think about trying to save money with another brand!

Place 1 slab of ribs, bone side down, in the foil. Mop and then sprinkle some brown sugar on the top. Moisten just enough to dissolve the sugar. Wrap tightly. Do this for each individual slab.

Place back in smoker making sure to keep smoker at 225º. At this point, if space is limited, you can stack the foil pouches. I have stacked as high as 3 pouches with no affect on the ribs.

Let cook for 2 1/2 hrs. without touching anything.

Total time is now 5 1/2hrs. and we will serve these in 30 minutes. Unfoil them and apply whatever sauce you are using...if no sauce, then simply take them out of the foil.

Once they are all sauced or out of the foil without sauce, back into the smoker, unfoiled, for the last 30 minutes.

Now, here are the variables. Temp MUST be maintained at 225º for the length of the cook. It is OK to have temporary 10º swings, just be sure to bring it back to 225º.

DO NOT let your smoker get up to 225º without putting the ribs on. Put them on immediately upon firing it up. This entire process is all about timing and this is an essential step.

The weight of your slab of ribs MUST be between 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 lbs. each. Any heavier or lighter and the timing will be off.

There you have it! Proven over the years to be a real winner.

If you cannot meet ALL of the above variables, you will need to experiment. If your temp is higher, they will cook quicker. If your slabs weigh more, you will need to cook them longer. And on it goes.

Stogie
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 12:28:43 (permalink)
    I only buy boneless pork ribs; marinate them in whatever I have lying around overnight; then place in a glass baking dish, cover with Maurice's BBQ sauce, then bake. Then I baste with more sauce 5 minutes before I pull them out of the oven...great, now I'm HUNGRY
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 15:07:20 (permalink)

Well, it aint BBQ, but like several of those above I like sometimes to bake pork ribs in a tomato sauce flavored with mustard and chile powder and whatever else strikes my fancy. After a couple of hours the meat falls off the bones and it is a glorious greasy sticky mess to eat. But, I repeat, not to be confused with BBQ.
    ericm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/29 23:45:42 (permalink)
    Since I don't have a smoker, I'm limited to the oven methods. Stogie, your recipe sounds great, I think I'll give it a try over the next few weekends when I have the time to manage the project over hte 6 hours needed.

Nothing like slow cooking!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/10/30 09:38:54 (permalink)
    Hey OneIron.

If you knew me better, you would know that I am always the designated driver. Except for a nice bottle of dessert wine, I never touch the stuff except as an ingredient.

John
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/12 08:24:00 (permalink)
    man, you guys have some great rib recipies. i usually cook 'em using the foil pouch method listed above. absolutely great that way! i recently came up with a spin=off of that. now my ribs are not mushy, just very tender. instead of the pouch, i place 4 racks of st louis in a full pan with honey and cocacola. wrap pan with foil and return to smoker for 1.5 hrs. let stand for 30min then place in cooler. do not let out the steam as this will make the meat too dry. the got to re-constitute... anybody in savannah want to try them??
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1453
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/12 13:18:33 (permalink)
    I rub them with Dinosaur BBQ Foreplay dry rub, indirect cook them on my weber with hickory chips(haven't got a smoker yet), and finish them with the Dino's Sensuous Slathering Sauce. They taste great, but the texture is not right. If (and when) I get a smoker I'll work on the texture.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/12 14:50:44 (permalink)
    I love the taste of pork. I used to do all the preboiling and sauces and then I remembered how much I enjoyed Mom's ribs that she did in the oven. My recipe is salt and pepper and I do them on the grill. I keep the temperature at as close to 225 as I can. I have a 3 burner grill and switch back and forth between them. 3 1/2 hours.

I serve with sauce on the side. The sauce is Louisianna Fish Camp that comes from the Frugal Gourmet.

I have gotten nothing but rave reviews.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/12 15:03:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

I only buy boneless pork ribs; marinate them in whatever I have lying around overnight; then place in a glass baking dish, cover with Maurice's BBQ sauce, then bake. Then I baste with more sauce 5 minutes before I pull them out of the oven...great, now I'm HUNGRY

Isn't bonelss pork ribs an oxymoron?
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/12 15:11:49 (permalink)

Louisiana fish camp BBQ sauce,

2/3C water
    2T brown sugar
    2T Worcestershire sauce
    2T yellow mustard
    1/3C catsup
    1tsp cracked black pepper
    1tsp red pepper flakes
    1C red wine vinegar
    1/3C white wine
    2T salt

Simmer covered 30 min
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/12 15:34:08 (permalink)
    Ever try frying ribs? Slice ribs in serving size pieces(usually no more than two ribs), dip in egg wash, then in seasoned flour. Deep fry just as you would chicken. SOunds strange but they are really good.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: RIBS prep? 2003/11/13 08:03:07 (permalink)
    What I do with my ribs (pork ones atleast) is mix Ranch Dressing with fresh chopped garlic and coat them. I leave them in this marinade overnight, turning often to make sure everything is well coated. Then after that, take them out of the marinade, throw them in a pan, shake on some Lawrys Seasoning Salt and black pepper, slowly cooking them. Finish them off on the grill with a spicy thick BBQ sauce...

(When I marinate, I cut them up into 1/2 racks and put the ribs and marinade mix in a ziplock baggie).

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1