RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta

Author
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
2005/02/19 23:10:40 (permalink)

RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta

I was curious, if anyone has visited this Conley, Ga. institution recently. It's been years for me, but I have a friend longing to visit a real, southern Catfish shack. I would love to try her again. Anyone?

6 Replies Related Threads

speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta 2005/02/21 09:18:37 (permalink)
    I have not been there in years, seems as if the one in Stone Mountain was a favorite of my father's and he loved catfish. I think they had a french salad dressing that might have been homemade that he liked. I cannot tolerate catfish, one of the few fishes that I cannot eat, just cannot get used to the odd taste.
    jfdavis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta 2008/10/25 18:52:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ULVER

I was curious, if anyone has visited this Conley, Ga. institution recently. It's been years for me, but I have a friend longing to visit a real, southern Catfish shack. I would love to try her again. Anyone?
    Rio Vista is NOW OPENED AGAIN in Covington and Jackson.

Yes, the same original restaurant. Awesome food. Directions go to www.riovistacatfish.com just wanted to share a good thing.
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta 2008/11/02 15:31:55 (permalink)
    According to MapQuest, the closer of the two locations is still an hour and a half from my home. Catfish Jim's on US 41 in Kennesaw is still my go to place for fried catfish. One of these days I may get far enough south of try Rio Vista in Covington. When in Jackson, it would be very difficult to not eat at Fresh Air BBQ - but it could happen.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta 2008/11/02 20:08:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ULVER

Ulver; Dearfolk,
    It's a shame, but I have to report that the last original location of Rio Vista in Conley is closed. They did a decent enough business, but the owner decided to retire when he was offered a king's ransom for the land.
    I still haven't ventured out there to see what -- if anything -- occupies their former space. Funny thing is, it's right next to the new Conley post office (a post office that, try as the postal brass might, they just couldn't close!).
    My guess is that the truck terminal and the strip bar are still right near there....
    DeConleyfied, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Scroll on down to find the resurrection of Rio Vista! I've gotta try one or both of these!
    wabbitslayer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta 2008/11/20 20:51:01 (permalink)
    The one just south of Covington hasn't been open too long, it's in the same place as a restaurant called seafood Nick's that was pretty good, but really pricey for what you got. I would say I'd go and report, but generally if we go eat seafood, we go to a place called Neely's.

For catfish, which I am not particuarly crazy about (it's OK, I'll eat it, I just don't go ga-ga over it like everyone else I know seems to), my wife swears by a place called RiverBend fish camp on Hwy 36 south of Thomaston. Apparently all they serve is fried catfish, family style, accompanied by huge plates of hushpuppies, fries, slaw and pickles.

uh oh....made myself hungry
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: RIO VISTA Catfish>near Atlanta 2008/12/31 20:37:32 (permalink)
     Jackson is on my way to and from Atlanta.  Hmmm.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1