R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum...

Author
John In Seattle
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2007/01/13 16:52:41 (permalink)

R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum...

Well, yet ANOTHER time-honored product has changed. Bazooka Joe gum is now “new & improved”. Anytime I see “new and improved” on most any product, it means – “we cheapened - out our product and ruined it”.

Besides now being outsourced and made in Mexico, it is not the same gum at all. Why do companies have to change a product that we have loved all our lives and that has not been changed since before most of us were even born?

I went down to the store and bought all of the original Bazooka Joe gum I could find. Reminds my of the early ‘80’s when Coke announced they were changing their recipe, I went down to the store and bought over 10 eight-packs of the stuff. Not to digress, but they never DID make Coke the same again. The “Coca Cola classic” is made with high fructose corn syrup instead of cane sugar, and has never been as good since.

Anyway, R.I.P. Bazooka Joe gum.

9 Replies Related Threads

Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 862
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/13 18:56:54 (permalink)
    I was kind of bummed when they felt the need to update the comic characters. The old ones were always oddball anachronisms, but the new ones will be looking pretty dated pretty quick.

Re. 'Classic' Coke - I'm convinced that 'new Coke' was a deliberate failure - a smokescreen to sneak in the HFCS when they 'reintroduced' the 'Classic'. But did you know they sell Coke with sugar during Passover? It's in the big bottles, with a different color cap - look for it in supermarkets with a big Jewish clientele (a big kosher section is a giveaway, of course)
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/13 19:11:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vince Macek

....Re. 'Classic' Coke - I'm convinced that 'new Coke' was a deliberate failure - a smokescreen to sneak in the HFCS when they 'reintroduced' the 'Classic'. But did you know they sell Coke with sugar during Passover? It's in the big bottles, with a different color cap - look for it in supermarkets with a big Jewish clientele (a big kosher section is a giveaway, of course)

A lot of folks think that way, but they are mistaken. If you go here
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp
    they have the whole story about "New Coke". It reads, in part,

"An interesting little claim sprang up in the wake of the introduction of Classic Coke, one having to do with its sweetener. People swore they detected a change in the flavor between Classic Coke and the original.

This gave rise to the rumor that the product had been reformulated, dropping cane sugar in favor of high fructose corn syrup. Depending upon whom you listened to, either the demand for the return of original Coca-Cola afforded the company the opportunity to switch from cane sugar to corn syrup or the whole fiasco of taking original Coca-Cola off the shelves and reintroducing it three months later as Classic Coke was all a brilliant scheme to mask the change in sweetener. According to whispered wisdom, the company had hoped to slip the modification past consumers by having it take place during the original beverage's absence from the shelves. People would be so darned glad to have Classic Coke back that they wouldn't notice it didn't taste the same as original Coca-Cola. (Another twist to this rumor had it that New Coke had deliberately been formulated to taste awful in order to facilitate the switch — this supposedly gave Coca-Cola an excuse for pulling the original formula and then putting it back on the market after a brief absence, making it look all along as if they were simply responding to consumer demands.)

The change in sweetener wasn't anything that diabolical. Corn syrup was cheaper than cane sugar; that's what it came down to. In 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke, half the cane sugar in Coca-Cola had been replaced with high fructose corn syrup. By six months prior to New Coke's knocking the original Coca-Cola off the shelves, there was no cane sugar in American Coca-Cola. Whether they knew it or not, what consumers were drinking then was 100% sweetened by high fructose corn syrup."

PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/13 19:11:31 (permalink)
    Great info on the "Coke"......

Sad to hear about Bazooka Joe.... I remember the gum from the 60's, talk about a mild sugar high.
    John In Seattle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/13 21:09:08 (permalink)
    quote:

- But did you know they sell Coke with sugar during Passover? It's in the big bottles, with a different color cap - look for it in supermarkets with a big Jewish clientele (a big kosher section is a giveaway, of course) -

That's great to know! Thanks for that information.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/14 07:45:08 (permalink)
    That meens the little cartoon strips the gum was wrapped in will now be printed in Spanish. If it wasn't for Bazooka Joe I might not have ever learned to read. Chow Jim
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/15 18:06:01 (permalink)
    Which gum was it that you were able to tattoo yourself
    I loved doing that as a kid.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/15 18:38:18 (permalink)
    Again.. with a big kosher section, Bazooka Joe is made in Israel.. check out the kosher gun
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/15 18:42:17 (permalink)
    I absolutely loved the character Bazooka Joe.And the gum,too!
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: R.I.P. Bazooka Joe Gum... 2007/01/15 23:03:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

....Re. 'Classic' Coke - I'm convinced that 'new Coke' was a deliberate failure - a smokescreen to sneak in the HFCS when they 'reintroduced' the 'Classic'. But did you know they sell Coke with sugar during Passover? It's in the big bottles, with a different color cap - look for it in supermarkets with a big Jewish clientele (a big kosher section is a giveaway, of course)

A lot of folks think that way, but they are mistaken. If you go here
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp
    they have the whole story about "New Coke". It reads, in part,

"An interesting little claim sprang up in the wake of the introduction of Classic Coke, one having to do with its sweetener. People swore they detected a change in the flavor between Classic Coke and the original.

This gave rise to the rumor that the product had been reformulated, dropping cane sugar in favor of high fructose corn syrup. Depending upon whom you listened to, either the demand for the return of original Coca-Cola afforded the company the opportunity to switch from cane sugar to corn syrup or the whole fiasco of taking original Coca-Cola off the shelves and reintroducing it three months later as Classic Coke was all a brilliant scheme to mask the change in sweetener. According to whispered wisdom, the company had hoped to slip the modification past consumers by having it take place during the original beverage's absence from the shelves. People would be so darned glad to have Classic Coke back that they wouldn't notice it didn't taste the same as original Coca-Cola. (Another twist to this rumor had it that New Coke had deliberately been formulated to taste awful in order to facilitate the switch — this supposedly gave Coca-Cola an excuse for pulling the original formula and then putting it back on the market after a brief absence, making it look all along as if they were simply responding to consumer demands.)

The change in sweetener wasn't anything that diabolical. Corn syrup was cheaper than cane sugar; that's what it came down to. In 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke, half the cane sugar in Coca-Cola had been replaced with high fructose corn syrup. By six months prior to New Coke's knocking the original Coca-Cola off the shelves, there was no cane sugar in American Coca-Cola. Whether they knew it or not, what consumers were drinking then was 100% sweetened by high fructose corn syrup."

I'm a big "SNOPES" fan. I can't tell you how many strange e-mails I get claiming one thing or another...I just go to Snopes, punch in a couple key words, and get the whole story. If it turns out to be a false claim (which is most of the time) I'll hit "Reply to All" and send the info back to everyone who may have recieved it when I did. That kind of BS drives me nuts, so I try to do my part to put a stop to it whenever I can.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1