The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!!

John In Seattle

• Total Posts: 55
R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sat, 05/20/06 9:40 PM (permalink)
So, I bought some Breyers mint chocolate chip ice cream the other day, like I have since I was a kid. I have always depended on the quality and flavor of Breyers ice cream.
But, I immediately noticed a change in the taste. Upon a closer look, I noted that they are now using “chocolate flavor chips” instead of real chocolate! They are now using what I call "chocolate flavored wax"!! They used to use a good quality REAL chocolate. Why change a classic flavor like that? I would pay more for real chocolate to have the same quality. Breyers has sold out. They were bought out by Unilver, as was Ben&Jerry’s and both brands have reflected that in the quality of their products. I am very mad about this, and I encourage all to write to them about this. Here is a link to share your thoughts to Unilever: http://www.icecreamusa.com/talk/comment.asp

I have made my own mint chocolate chip ice cream from scratch before, and I guess I will again.

I will never buy Breyers again.

R.I.P. Breyers – Long live corporate profits.

Tony Bad

RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sat, 05/20/06 10:44 PM (permalink)
    I will never understand why large corporations will purchase a company making a great product, and then ruin that product. The last time I had Ben & Jerry's I was very disappointed. I have found Breyers a disappointment for quite some time now. Here where I live, Turkey Hill is about the best store brand available, but I know they don't make it to Seattle.

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
      RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sat, 05/20/06 10:56 PM (permalink)
      Breyers has been making crap for years. Highly aerated, artificial and metallic tasting flavors. We go without rather than waste our money on it. Hopefully everyone else is catching on to the fact that it's not worth it, and they will improve the product or sell it to someone who cares.

Turkey Hill is pretty good (I like their peanut butter swirl), but except for a few, the flavors are not very interesting. We buy that occasionally. We can usually find Edy's (Dreyer's out west) on sale somewhere and always have it in the house.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 2:38 AM (permalink)
        Breyers was good when I was a kid in the 50's. It has been a pale imitation of its former self for at least 2 decades. But, of course, I think mint chocolate chip is disgusting anyway and I'll never understand how it got so popular (as opposed to REGULAR chocolate chip which is one of my faves).

Among popular (and reasonably priced--on sale) brands, these days I much prefer Dreyer's, Blue Bell, Blue Bunny, even Safeway's store brand to Breyer's. By the way, I've never understood the cult of Ben & Jerry's either, but maybe that's because I mostly like traditional flavors including vanilla, chocolate and chocolate chip. Now Haagen Dazs is pretty good but generally I won't spend the money for it.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
          RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 4:48 AM (permalink)
          the very term "chocolate chip" has changed from my childhood... I enjoyed more of a chocolate flake..whereas today's is chocolate chunk.. I prefer the flakes because the taste is spread out more and it melts more easily on your tongue.. I don't want big chunks of frozen chocolate in my iced cream.
          Baskin Robbins is the only place around here that I still can get old fashioned chocolate chip.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
            RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 8:45 AM (permalink)
            Although I will occasionally buy Breyers Strawberry ice cream, HD is the real choice for me.

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/segice.do

BT

RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 12:43 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Jennifer_4

the very term "chocolate chip" has changed from my childhood... I enjoyed more of a chocolate flake..whereas today's is chocolate chunk.. I prefer the flakes because the taste is spread out more and it melts more easily on your tongue.. I don't want big chunks of frozen chocolate in my iced cream.
              Baskin Robbins is the only place around here that I still can get old fashioned chocolate chip.

BR has always been among the best chocolate chips. And you are right about the superiority of flakes, though as long as they use real chocolate and leave out the artificial mint flavoring, I'll make do.

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
                RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 2:00 PM (permalink)

Yesterday I bought Bryer's Caramel Tracks -- it's salty.
                Has anyone else tried that flavor?

phlmaestro

RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 3:19 PM (permalink)
                  I'm glad I saw this thread because it's been bugging me for years. I'm in Philadelphia, and a lot of locals still say they love Bryer's. Maybe it's a subconcsious bias because Bryer's was a local ice cream until they were sold.

It's my least favorite of the major supermarket brands. The vanilla has the worst texture I've experienced. It just breaks off instead of smoothly sliding when you scoop it up.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                    RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
                    I feel the same about Breyer's--and I've been eating it all my life. What a shame they sold out. And what a joy that I can order Graeter's ice cream. One other great reason to live in Ohio...

plb

RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 05/21/06 8:18 PM (permalink)
                      Loved Breyer's when I lived in NYC in the 1970's. My favorite was butter almond. Breyer's started to appear here in CA in the 1990's or so. It is not the same. And no butter almond.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                        RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Mon, 05/22/06 2:41 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by BT
                        But, of course, I think mint chocolate chip is disgusting anyway and I'll never understand how it got so popular

Because people like me love it so much.
                        You: Mint chocolate chip
                        Me: Vinegar

BT

RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Mon, 05/22/06 3:35 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
                          Originally posted by BT
                          But, of course, I think mint chocolate chip is disgusting anyway and I'll never understand how it got so popular

Because people like me love it so much.
                          You: Mint chocolate chip
                          Me: Vinegar

You vinegar what? You don't like it? I love it--drink it straight out of the bottle. Really. Not sure I'd like vinegar-flavored ice cream though.

John In Seattle

• Total Posts: 55
                            RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Mon, 05/29/06 7:10 PM (permalink)
                            Unilever has responded. Here is one paragraph from their letter:
                            quote:
                            unilever

“ Many consumers described our former chocolate chips as hard and waxy. After much consideration, we changed our chocolate chips in response to consumer requests for an improved and tastier inclusion. We decided the new chocolate chips delivered a softer texture and better chocolate flavor. “

While I sincerely appreciate that they took the time to respond without using a form letter, I find it very hard to believe that consumers were requesting that they use fake chocolate, and that fake chocolate could have a “better chocolate flavor” .

BT

RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Mon, 05/29/06 7:45 PM (permalink)
                              The concept that "chocolate flavored chips" have a "better chocolate flavor" than chocolate is interesting.

Ginger9708

• Total Posts: 23
                                RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 06/4/06 4:50 PM (permalink)
                                I agree i think Breyers sucks! it is absolutely the worst ice cream in the supermarket. It tastes fake like they use some sort of fat free skim milk, the texture is bad, I like ice cream that has a creamy texture to it and breyers doesnt have this. It has such an icy texture. My husband loves Breyer's and I cant figure out why. Breyers is at the bottom of my list along with Hershey's chocolate.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                  RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 06/4/06 8:22 PM (permalink)
                                  R.I.P. Breyer's in general. Not only have they quietly eased away from their formerly proud (and rightfully so) stance of "all-natural" on many of their products, they've gone very quietly from half-gallons to a smaller size, 1.75 liters or quarts or something. And John is dead on target: their taste is gone. It's a sad day.

NeilS

• Total Posts: 2
                                    RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 07/2/06 10:07 PM (permalink)
                                    Glad I found this forum. I thought that I was the only one who wondered... What the heck have they done to Breyers??? I'm a Mint Chocolate Chip guy, but as a kid I even used to enjoy their vanilla, especialy with plenty of U-Bet poured over it.

Don't know what they did, but the sharp vanilla base of both flavors tastes more like French Vanilla. Way too creamy for my taste. What a disappointment. Gotta go to Baskin for a Mint CC fix.[/font=Verdana][/font=Verdana]

Riku The Surfer

• Total Posts: 31
                                      RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Thu, 07/20/06 3:34 AM (permalink)
                                      I don't even buy from the supermarket anymore for ice cream...

Schwan's is the only place my mom and I will eat ice cream from. I'll have the occasional Blue Bunny now and then...but Schwan's ice cream tastes way better.

spicoli

• Total Posts: 68
                                        RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Thu, 07/20/06 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by John In Seattle

quote:
                                        unilever

“ Many consumers described our former chocolate chips as hard and waxy. After much consideration, we changed our chocolate chips in response to consumer requests for an improved and tastier inclusion. We decided the new chocolate chips delivered a softer texture and better chocolate flavor. “

While I sincerely appreciate that they took the time to respond without using a form letter, I find it very hard to believe that consumers were requesting that they use fake chocolate, and that fake chocolate could have a “better chocolate flavor” .

Typical Corporate PR BS. Really frustrating that they hide "Bottom Line" decisions behind fake customer preference decisions.

When McDonalds was recently questioned about why they use Hydrogenized oils in their US restaurants, but not in their European ones, they gave the same "taste preference" responses, when really, Hydrogenized oils are cheaper.

maybe someday, they'll just tell the truth.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                          RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Thu, 07/20/06 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I just had some mint chocolate chip the other day from Baskin Robbins. I have to say, I rather injoyed it. I havn't had baskin-Robbins in years, but the realors of our building threw an ice-cream social, so Baskin-Robbins was the only choice. It tasted exactly as remember it from the Baskin-Robbins in Penn-Can Mall in North syracuse NY in the 70's. Too bad they didn't have the bubble-gum ice-cream that had the 1-Cent gum balls in it.

Peachpie9

• Total Posts: 40
                                            RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Thu, 07/20/06 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by spicoli

quote:
                                            Originally posted by John In Seattle

quote:
                                            unilever

Typical Corporate PR BS. Really frustrating that they hide "Bottom Line" decisions behind fake customer preference decisions.

When McDonalds was recently questioned about why they use Hydrogenized oils in their US restaurants, but not in their European ones, they gave the same "taste preference" responses, when really, Hydrogenized oils are cheaper.

maybe someday, they'll just tell the truth.

Indeed. Real scientific taste testing involves lots and lots of people and trials and blinds and double blinds--wouldn't you like to meet this large bunch of people who expressed a marked preference for hydrogenated oils and fake chocolate chips? They probably all live in Roswell, NM, and the corporations just send over a bus when they need spurious substantiation of their decision to AGAIN lower the quality of their offerings.

No offense to the real residents of Roswell.

Catherine

whatever happened

• Total Posts: 1
                                              RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 07/23/06 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                              at first, when my family began to complain about the change in breyers ice cream, i didn't think much of it, until i had a late night craving for mint choclate chip ice cream.
                                              the second i opened the box in a near dark kitchen, i immediately noticed that there were fewer, and larger, flatter chips. at first, i thought, 'ok, this must be the change', until i put a spoonful of it in my mouth.
                                              ugh! what happened to the consistency?? it tasted gummy and gooey like all of the cheaper supermarket brands. and, with the 'chips' (are they really fake??? i won't eat modified and artificial food!!) fewer and flatter between, the whole consistency of what used to be a great ice cream has changed.
                                              years ago, 'heath bar' changed their candy bar by replacing the natural vanilla, for a cheaper vanillin susbstitute, and customers complained. and guess what? the company reverted back to the original formula. upon hearing that, i've been eating 'heath bars' ever since.
                                              i think there's one thing the consumers who may not like breyers original formula and unilever don't understand, is that the fans of the original formula bought it because it was different and we liked the simple ingredients, and the grainy texture. it had a cleaner, more natural taste. the non-fans have a plethora of gooey, guar gum, carageenan ice cream from which to choose. we were a faithful bunch, that has been abandoned. so now, from soap to butter almond ice cream, i will buy from unilever's competitors, along with every buying member of my large extended family, ages 12 to 78.

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
                                                RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Sun, 07/23/06 11:46 PM (permalink)
                                                Breyers, Good Humor, and now Ben and Jerry's are all owned by Van Den Berg Foods/, the English/Dutch conglomerate which has been (forgive the pun) swallowing up American companies for years and then cheapening the products in an effort to squeeze more profits from them.
                                                My sister works for this company, and has expressed utter frustration over their mishandling and manipulation of these products.
                                                Good Humor, once the cadillac of ice cream novelties has been cheapened so much that you can no longer tell the difference between a "real" good humor bar and many of the lower priced knockoffs. Ben and Jerry's has already shown a dimunition in the amount of "goodies" in their flavors, as well as a drop in the smoothness of the ice cream. Breyers has been maintained as "milk, cream, sugar, eggs" and no artificial ingredients for the most part, but as noted above the "real" chocolate is gone, and many of the other mix-ins will be lower quality in the future as well.
                                                Among the products this company controls, Lipton beverages, Lipeon soup and side dishes, Knorr Products, Adolph's products, Ragu products, Shedd's Spread products, all of the former Cheseborough Pond's lines, and all of the former Lever Brothers (Unilever) products.
                                                Their modus operandi is to cheapen all the products, discontinue most r&d geared towards improvements, squeeze every last drop out of the line, and then abandon it completely, or sell the line off.
                                                Such a shame.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                                  RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Mon, 07/24/06 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                                  This is yet just another example of the "corporatizing" and buying up of
                                                  America! by large conglomerates.
                                                  I grew up in the 50's enjoying Breyers ice cream-as well as other delightful products only to have to stop eating them today because they, SUCK!
                                                  I have only my memories and these forums to share my grief with others to satiate my disatifaction with today's food products.
                                                  CORPORATE AMERICA-WAKE UP!!!!!!
                                                  The handful of "artisan" mom and pop places produce lovely products but, because they are so specliaized, they are not only very expensive but hard to find unless you are savy to their websites or live in the cities they call home.
                                                  Take "Vosges" chocolates. They are in Chicago and a handful of Wholefoods stores and some larger dept. stores. Did you ever price their chocolates?
                                                  Their stuff is fabulous and fabulously EXPENSIVE!
                                                  Ok, don't want to get away from this topic. So, for the record, I don't eat Breyer's ice cream anymore either! Did you HEAR that Van den Berg foods!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                                    RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Mon, 07/24/06 1:05 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by twinwillow

This is yet just another example of the "corporatizing" and buying up of
                                                    America by large conglomerates!
                                                    I grew up in the 50's enjoying Breyers ice cream-as well as other delightful products only to have to stop eating them today because they, SUCK!
                                                    I have only my memories and these forums to share my grief with others to satiate my disatisfaction with today's food products.
                                                    CORPORATE AMERICA-WAKE UP!!!!!!
                                                    The handful of "artisan" mom and pop places produce lovely products but, because they are so specliaized, they are not only very expensive but hard to find unless you are savy to their websites or live in the cities they call home.
                                                    Take "Vosges" chocolates. They are in Chicago and a handful of Wholefoods stores and some larger dept. stores. Did you ever price their chocolates?
                                                    Their stuff is fabulous and, fabulously EXPENSIVE!
                                                    Ok, don't want to get away from this topic. So, for the record, I don't eat Breyer's ice cream anymore either! Did you HEAR that Van den Berg foods!

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                      • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                      RE: R.I.P Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!!! Wed, 07/26/06 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                                      For some current ice cream news, see this NY[url='http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/dining/26cream.html?ref=dining']Times[/url] article. (I also have as a text file if there are problems with the link.)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com