RIP Stone's of Marshalltown

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
adam0605
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/08/01 00:18:18 (permalink)
Stone's will be re-opening on September 1st 2009! It has a new owner and a lot of the old menu items. The executive chef will be Dick Dewees. He was the former owner and chef of Memories and Caddyshack. He also used to be the executive chef at Elmwood Country Club in town. Best Chef in town by a mile! Welcome back Stone's!
Randy1887
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/08/27 15:41:43 (permalink)
Dear Friends,
Yes, Stone's will reopen next week! New owner is Marshalltonian Steve Badger. We stopped down last week and the place looks wonderful. I'm sure Steve will continue the great tradition. Thanks to all for your great support.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10283
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/08/27 15:50:08 (permalink)
Randy-
That really is wonderful news.
   I'm sure your family and the entire city of Marshalltown are thrilled that Stone's is reopening.  Please tell me they will have the mile high lemon chiffon pie!
Randy1887
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/08/27 17:10:07 (permalink)
BB,
We are indeed thrilled! Yes, Mile High will be on menu. Steve has also added cast iron pan fried chicken that I am very much looking forward to trying. Good talking to you.
Regards,
Randy
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7835
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/08/27 18:18:06 (permalink)
Randy1887

BB,
We are indeed thrilled! Yes, Mile High will be on menu. Steve has also added cast iron pan fried chicken that I am very much looking forward to trying. Good talking to you.
Regards,
Randy

Randy

I will be back in Iowa next year and look forward to going to Stone's since I've never been there. I'm hoping Iowa Chops will be on the menu too!
Iowanatheart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/01 21:52:52 (permalink)
I am very discouraged to hear about the new chef! I loved Stone's growing up in th 60's and my family always stopped to visit the food was always amazing especially when the family was running it personally!   I did have the displeasure of visiting Memories once when the "executive chef" that was mentioned above ran it.  Needless to say we never returned but ate at Stone's several times that visit.  Do they have all the family recipes to make?  I suppose I am stickler to tradition it's a shame the family isn't there anymore they were great people.  We also love the maidrites there as well I suppose if Stone's isn't the same they are pretty close together we could always head up the road and get a sandwhich and a malt.
timonawhim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/03 16:20:25 (permalink)
Iowanatheart

I am very discouraged to hear about the new chef! I loved Stone's growing up in th 60's and my family always stopped to visit the food was always amazing especially when the family was running it personally!   I did have the displeasure of visiting Memories once when the "executive chef" that was mentioned above ran it.  Needless to say we never returned but ate at Stone's several times that visit.  Do they have all the family recipes to make?  I suppose I am stickler to tradition it's a shame the family isn't there anymore they were great people.  We also love the maidrites there as well I suppose if Stone's isn't the same they are pretty close together we could always head up the road and get a sandwhich and a malt.

Wow, must have been an off day for you. I have lived in Iowa my whole life and ate Dick Dewees's food more times than I can count at Elmwood, Caddyshack and Memories. I heard last week the menu and look of the place was different than the "old Stones", so when I went  in Tuesday to eat lunch with my sister it was --only-- because Dick was cooking. I will be back again and again. I have eatten at Stone's my entire life. I was sad when they shut the doors, but think the food is better now then it was in the last few years before they closed down. The place does look a lot different and a lot of the food is different but not in a bad way at all. You should give it a shot. I like tradition too, but I like good food a lot more. 

Iowanatheart
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/03 22:20:00 (permalink)
The "Old Stone's" is the only Stone's, why take the name if you can't hold up their reputation?  My aging parents visited Stone's yesterday in fact.  My mother who is not one to complain sent her food back for being frozen in the middle and my father said the pie is store bought. Not to mention they are using lemon mirangue instead of chiffon??????? I must admit about 8 years ago I thought Stone's food had gone downhill, but my last visit in 2006 was amazing.  The walleye was perfect, the pie was perfect, everything was great.  When I ate at Memories it was awful but you mentioned this "chef" has worked at several restaurants, if he is so great............why does he not stay at a place long?  I am not saying I won't try it and I do want to take a look around at the building, did they keep all those old photos they had?  My brother had his wedding rehearsal in the back room, I was wondering if it still looked the same?  Looks like we will be back for a visit in November, will they have their famous buffet? 
mtownnative
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/04 06:50:21 (permalink)
As a Marshalltown native, I am well aware of Stone's history.  I am new to this, but my purpose in joining the conversation is simply to tell the truth about developing and operating this restaurant.  Our guests have responded enthusiastically to both the property and the food.  We are correcting errors on the fly.  The lemon chiffon pie is a work in progress.  Iowanatheart's mother couldn't have received any partially frozen food.  The only product we receive frozen is catfish, and we haven't served it yet.  The real link with historical Stone's is that all of our menu items are made from scratch.  All the pie crusts and pies are made from scratch in our bakery.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7835
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/04 08:09:41 (permalink)
Putting aside the bickering,  are there Iowa Chops on the menu?
timonawhim
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/04 13:01:21 (permalink)
Iowanatheart

The "Old Stone's" is the only Stone's, why take the name if you can't hold up their reputation?  My aging parents visited Stone's yesterday in fact.  My mother who is not one to complain sent her food back for being frozen in the middle and my father said the pie is store bought. Not to mention they are using lemon mirangue instead of chiffon??????? I must admit about 8 years ago I thought Stone's food had gone downhill, but my last visit in 2006 was amazing.  The walleye was perfect, the pie was perfect, everything was great.  When I ate at Memories it was awful but you mentioned this "chef" has worked at several restaurants, if he is so great............why does he not stay at a place long?  I am not saying I won't try it and I do want to take a look around at the building, did they keep all those old photos they had?  My brother had his wedding rehearsal in the back room, I was wondering if it still looked the same?  Looks like we will be back for a visit in November, will they have their famous buffet? 

Hmm….. Just about everything you have said makes no sense at all, but your entitled to your opinion. For the record though, I think he had those 3 jobs over the last 25 years. I’m also pretty sure you can ask almost any country club member over the age of 60 and they will tell you that place took a nose dive when he left. You could also ask almost any local golfer over the age of 35 and they will tell you the legion took a nose dive after he closed Caddyshack….. To open another restaurant.

I think I got this figured out. You and your family are some of those few lucky people who can actually taste “tradition“. I, like most people, can only taste good food so for that I envy you. I think your right in your first post, maybe your just better off eating your historic maidrites up the street. However, when your sitting elbow to elbow on a crowded barstool savoring the sweet flavor of tradition just remember the old saying:

“You can put a dress and lipstick on a pig, but it’s still just a pig.”

Now that’s not meant to be an insult, I happen to like maidrites. The point is that a loose meat sandwich is still just a loose meat sandwich no matter how you doll it up.

Ofcourse I could be completely wrong. Afterall, you’re the one with the superior pallet.
Iowanatheart
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/04 13:39:39 (permalink)
Impressive, I certainly didn't think that I would be patronized for my opinion.  My mother did in fact say her food was frozen in the middle, but in her defense freezing could be just cold. 
No way do I claim to have a superior pallet. 
So in fact you are claiming that the Stone family did not produce good food, because you my friend would be mistaken as well.  And I do agree that the maidrites are just maidrites, but the nastalgia is there as well which is nice.   And my pondering question about some of the history being present at Stone's was not answered..........I would have to assume from my parent's report and from the unanswered questions is that the restaurant is completely different.  When my mother said it has changed a lot, I thought a few things but how much has changed?  And is the Baker Jeanette there, her amazing cakes were to die for.  I feel the need to apologize because I apparently disgruntled a few of you, in which was not my intention.  So what are the food reviews? I feel I should try it myself; again will it be open on Thanksgiving for the buffet?  If not what SHOULD I try since the menu is different? 

Timeonawhim, perhaps we just have different opinions when it comes to food, we could always agree to disagree. 

Mtownnative: whom sounds as though they are from this new Stone's: will there be lemon chiffon pie by Thanksgiving, after-all wasn't that the slogan since the opening of Stone's. 
Randy1887
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/10 15:10:27 (permalink)
Iowanatheart,
Thanks for the kind words about the family. My Grandma Anna Stone ran the restaurant through the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. Our goal was always to get as close to her food and service as possible. Closing was indeed difficult for us but Steve Badger has done a beautiful job on renovation and I also hear many good reviews. I hope you and your family will give it another shot. As mtownnative says, it takes a while to get up to full speed. I can speak from experience on this.
I also whole heartedly agree with you on the Marshalltown Maid Rite. I think they are one of the few Maid Rites left that prepare their own meat. The story I heard was that they told the corporation they would go off on their own if forced to buy corporately. You can definately tell the difference in theirs and others. Four generations of Stone's enjoyed Maid Rite and sometimes I think we almost favored it over Stone's chicken and  noodles! When we lived in Illinois we had frozen Maid Rites shipped in from Marshalltown. You can order them on line on their website. Did you know that they will now offer ketchup? This was one of the biggest stories in town a few years ago. 
Again, I hope you get to try the new Stone's.
regards,
Randy Stone
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/10 16:13:34 (permalink)
Iowanatheart

New member that has never posted before. First time drops in and slams a brand new restaurant in the first week of operation? Come on this is a troll post if I have ever seen one. What is your agenda? Sorry but it just does not add up. The Moderators should remove these posts before damage is done. Disgruntled employee or something....Russ
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/10 19:13:09 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Iowanatheart

New member that has never posted before. First time drops in and slams a brand new restaurant in the first week of operation? Come on this is a troll post if I have ever seen one. What is your agenda? Sorry but it just does not add up. The Moderators should remove these posts before damage is done. Disgruntled employee or something....Russ

I agree. Something's not right here. Iowanatheart talks about still-frozen food and storebought pies, even though mtownnative says that there's no frozen food in the place and that all pastries are made from scratch. Methinks that someone on here has an axe to grind.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/10 19:17:19 (permalink)

I made it into Stone's today, but had never made it there before it closed previously so I can't say how it compares or anything.

The tenderloin was the best i've found in M-Town so far, but its not exactly a world beating award worthy sandwich.

I thought i was getting the special pie that was in the DM Register's list of 100 Things to Eat in Iowa Before You Die. But I ordered the Lemon Chiffon, which was. $3.95

I was surprised at how many cars were parked under the viaduct, it seemed like a crowd.

Russ Jackson
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/11 06:57:36 (permalink)
Great pictures and the pie looks great. How did you like the food? The place looks great. Was it busy and were the patrons happy? What else was on the menu?...Russ
mtownnative
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/11 08:25:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the supportive comments and the pictures.  I have never operated a full service restaurant.  In fact, I have another full-time job.  Yet I have spent an average of 12 hours a day on the premises since acquiring it in May.  I'm not complaining...that's just that way it is.  I did this for two reasons:  (1) I did not want to see Stone's disappear and (2) I wanted the creative experience.

Two fundamental factors guided the redevelopment.  First, the greatness of Stone's was that it prepared and served homemade food to ordinary people in an elegant environment.  The Mile High Pie, while nice, is more about marketing than dining.  Second, I had been collecting pre-Elvis roots of rock and roll music for several years and wanted a place to play it publicly.  Some of these more or less unknown artists include Amos Milburn, Louis Jordan, Tiny Bradshaw and Ruth Brown.  The era of the music, generally 1945-1959, guided the interior decor, the wall art, the selection of personnel and the menu.  Thus, the new Stone's is rooted in post-WW II America, a relatively short period of optimism that ended in the chaos of the Vietnam War.      
Iowanatheart
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/12 10:54:20 (permalink)
post edited by Iowanatheart - 2009/09/13 11:36:46
Russ Jackson
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/12 12:22:21 (permalink)
Iowanatheart

Disgruntled employee? Hardly, lol wasn't it you who mentioned they had only been opened a week.  I am just irritated that a good thing seems as though it was ruined.  
I was actually using "google" to find when Stone's was opening again, came upon this site and the timesrepublican.  After hearing reports from friends and family from Marshalltown and surrounding communities my comments do not go unwarranted..........
I do not want to stir up trouble and apparently have done more damage then what was intended-which was none.  But I do think I have a right to defend myself, yes. And my agenda was to find out what was on the menu, if they would be having their Thanksgiving buffet, what it was like, what the food was like, the atomosphere.  But so far everyone has been so vague.  The only reports I am getting are from friends/family and they are all very stuck in tradition and have nothing good to say, but in the flighting moment I thought they were biased...........I thought I would check it out. 
So I apologize, Mtown Native answered my question about the decor' inside briefly below, good enough.  Again will there be the buffet?

Now you say you googled it to find out when it opens? The opinion was third party from your Mother. You have not even been there yourself but say the food was poor and frozen? Get yourself over there. Introduce yourself to the owner and chef. Eat a meal there and post pictures. And give an honest first hand review. No Restaurant should ever be reviewed in the first week anyway! Now when someone googles Stone's they will get a chance to read your review of a place you haven't been to. It's Crazy! Why would you post it in the first place? Totally irresponsible. But then again that's JUST MY OPINION...RUSS

The new owner spent alot of money and time to save a State Landmark. I bet he is proud of your post. Are you proud of it? God forbid you ever open a place.

post edited by Russ Jackson - 2009/09/12 12:25:26
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/12 14:37:42 (permalink)
I did notice the decor, i remember the framed vintage posters from the time period looked good. I only started taking pictures of Iowa restaurants after 2007, so I never got close to Stones before.

I've been to plenty of restaurants in similar size towns like Boone, Newton, and Fort Dodge. Most would be happy to have a dozen cars in the parking lot. Only places right on the highway get more people moving in, many visitors to M-Town only make it as far north as the super-busy Taco Johns.

I was also surprised at the lack of fried appetizers on the menu, if I remember correctly. Thats a big move for a place to make, so many other cafes will have the same first page of the menu with fifteen fried things to choose from.

My regret is that I didn't try the daily special.
timonawhim
Junior Burger
Re:Stone's of Marshalltown is Back! 2009/09/12 19:45:07 (permalink)
Iowanatheart

Disgruntled employee? Hardly, lol wasn't it you who mentioned they had only been opened a week.  I am just irritated that a good thing seems as though it was ruined.  
I was actually using "google" to find when Stone's was opening again, came upon this site and the timesrepublican.  After hearing reports from friends and family from Marshalltown and surrounding communities my comments do not go unwarranted..........
I do not want to stir up trouble and apparently have done more damage then what was intended-which was none.  But I do think I have a right to defend myself, yes. And my agenda was to find out what was on the menu, if they would be having their Thanksgiving buffet, what it was like, what the food was like, the atomosphere.  But so far everyone has been so vague.  The only reports I am getting are from friends/family and they are all very stuck in tradition and have nothing good to say, but in the flighting moment I thought they were biased...........I thought I would check it out. 
So I apologize, Mtown Native answered my question about the decor' inside briefly below, good enough.  Again will there be the buffet?

You know, after our last "back and forth" I decided I wouldn't write you back a week ago because it seemed we were just beating a dead horse. After reading your most recent post I felt I had to say something.
I would tell you I've now lost all respect for you, but that would be a lie. The fact is that when I read your first post I was so embarrassed for you that the respect was never there to begin with. You may ask what you did to deserve such harsh words? Let me tell you:

1. You trashed a place you had never tried based mainly on a lack of "tradition".
2. Your only source for your posts is a close family member who tried the new stone's, who you then later discredited in a future post.

Now, I'm not a perfect man,(Lord knows) but I'm a strait forward honest man. I tell you what. Do what Russ said. Go try the place, and talk to the owner. I don't want to call you a liar, but you do seem like a skeleton in the old stone's closet. Prove everyone wrong, then come back and write an --honest-- first person review. If you don't like the place nobody will attack you or judge you. Plus, regardless of your opinion, you will then have the respect of myself and others on this site.

You may say our respect means nothing to you, but your human so it does. Just like you may say you can now go to eat a maidrite anytime, even 20 years from now, and not think of a pig with a dress and lipstick every time your eating it.... but you will.... every time.

Try the place out, prove your not a dirtbag, and you will never hear a word from me again. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut about things --you-- know nothing about.

Nunya
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: RIP Stone's of Marshalltown 2009/11/25 13:19:40 (permalink)
Stone's is now open under new owners.  Still called Stone's, food is good but it has changed!  Really liked the asparagus soup.  I recommend you try it but don't expect it to be the same as it was.  Unfortunately things change but it is still good.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1