ROAD TRIP! Providence>Idaho Falls, ID (on I-90)

Author
xenifilo77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2003/08/03 09:04:49 (permalink)

ROAD TRIP! Providence>Idaho Falls, ID (on I-90)

Hey! Looking for 4,000 miles worth of eatin' suggestions.
Trip route:

Providence, RI->Niagra Falls, NY (via I-90)->Detroit, MI (via Canada 401)->
Chicago (via I-94)->Badlands Nat'l Park, SD (via I-90)->Mt. Rushmore, SD->
Idaho Falls, ID (passing through Yellowstone, on Rt. 14/20/26...)

I'm looking for all types of suggestions. However, I do try to eat fairly healthy, and am on a bit of a budget--but this doesn't mean I don't like to splurge on delicious grease and fat or price now and then! I love unique, quirky p[laces and foods, and unique regional/ethnic foods, too...

So....HELP!
-CA

3 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: ROAD TRIP! Providence>Idaho Falls, ID (on I-90) 2003/08/03 12:40:28 (permalink)
    Ah Yes, I just pretty much did that exact routing as part of my honeymoon a few weeks ago.

Here is what we accomplished:

Springfield, MA - White Hut for burgers w/Fried Onions
    Rochester, NY - Nick Tahou for Garbage Plate
    Northern Rochester, NY - LDR Char Pit for Steak Sandwich & Abbott's Custard for Vanilla Frozen Custard
    Buffalo, NY - Ted's for Hotdogs
    Canada = Roadfood Wasteland. Fill up beforehand.
    Detroit, MI - Lafayette Coney Dogs for Coney Dogs and Chili Fries
    Chicago, IL - Mr. Beef for Italian Spiced Beef & Garretts Popcorn for Caramel Crips
    Racine, WI - Get Kringle anywhere
    Milwaukee, WI - Kopp's Custard for Butter Burger and Custard
    Souix Falls, SD - Bob's Cafe for Bacon, Broasted Chicken or Cheesteak
    Wall, SD - Wall Drug for donuts
    Hill City, SD (Near Mt. Rushmore) - Alpine Inn for Filet Mignon dinner (Only $8!)

You can find reviews for almost all of these places on the site.

Good luck and have fun!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: ROAD TRIP! Providence>Idaho Falls, ID (on I-90) 2003/08/03 13:00:45 (permalink)
    We made a similar trip last Fall and the food situation was not generally very good, unless you are willing (as we were not) to go into the cities.

In Keystone, SD we ate well at the Creekside cafe, next door to the Roosevelt Inn. We had a breast of duck on greens, and the rrst of the menu was pretty interesting.

Someplace on this site is mention of a place in Souix Falls,SD that is renowned among roadfoodies- we missed it when we were there - a fascinating little city with a great rapids running through the middle of the city.

In Wall, SD everyone must visit Wall Drugs - dont know about the food except the nickle coffee is good as is the ice cream. The Main Street (I guess the only street) is a horror. It is made up mostly of Wall Drug on one side and even worse places on the other - a tourists worst nightmare!

One other lesson we learned. Give yourself an extra day more than you are now planning in each National Park - you'll be glad you did...
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: ROAD TRIP! Providence>Idaho Falls, ID (on I-90) 2003/08/04 16:00:53 (permalink)
    Bar 3 BBQ in Bozeman, MT (about a mile or so south of I-90).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1