ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JROD79
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/08/17 18:01:58 (permalink)

ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

ANYONE EVER HEARD OF COWBOY CHICKEN? BEST ROTISSERIE CHICKEN IN TEXAS!
BEEN AROUND SINCE 1986. GREAT SIDE ITEMS...FAMOUS TWICE BAKED POTATERS,GREEN BEANS,AND HOMEMADE PEACH COBBLER. YA'LL COME IN TRY IT NEXT TIME YOUR IN DFW.

47 Replies Related Threads

Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/08/17 18:23:11 (permalink)
    JROD79,

Welcome to Roadfood.

Could you describe how the chicken differs from ordinary rotisserie chicken? Sounds interesting anyway.

Just a suggestion, but consider not typing all in caps. Some people consider it shouting and somewhat offensive. Sooner or later someone will complain about it so I thought I would give you a heads up from the start.
    baconman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/01 19:11:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JROD79

BEEN AROUND SINCE 1986. GREAT SIDE ITEMS...FAMOUS TWICE BAKED POTATERS,GREEN BEANS,AND HOMEMADE PEACH COBBLER. YA'LL COME IN TRY IT NEXT TIME YOUR IN DFW.

I've had it, thought it was crummy!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/01 19:29:38 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard.
    They have been around for years in the Dallas area. It's.........ok. Not great but, ok.
    Most places in the Dallas area that sell rotissierie chicken overcook the chickens to the point that they are dry.
    The best rotisserie chicken I've had in Dallas is from "Dallas City Market" on Lovers Lane just west of the Tollroad overpass. It is owned and run by the original chefs from "Eatzie's". Try theirs and tell us what you think.
    xannie_01
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/01 19:32:10 (permalink)
    okay, i would like to add my 2 cents ..
    the best rotissierie chicken is
    the one i make with my ronco showtime
    rotissierie. and it really really works
    dayle
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/01 19:42:35 (permalink)
    I have one of those Showtime machines and it's excellent for chicken (and for Prime Rib too). Best store-bought rotisserie chicken I've had is sold at Costco...juicy, bigger than regular grocery store chickens and considerably less money. Win, win, win.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/01 22:26:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

I have one of those Showtime machines and it's excellent for chicken (and for Prime Rib too). Best store-bought rotisserie chicken I've had is sold at Costco...juicy, bigger than regular grocery store chickens and considerably less money. Win, win, win.

I've seen those chickens at Costco. They look good! I'll have to buy one.
    gcw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/04 22:09:19 (permalink)
    Ditto the homemade rotisserie chicken on the Ronco Showtime, with a rub made from kosher salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, garlic, onion powder and celery salt. I haven't bought a rotisseried chicken since I bought the machine.
    Akavar
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 361
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/04 22:23:38 (permalink)
    The best rotisserie chicken I have had was at Phil's Chicken House in Endicott, NY. This was originally a recommendation from Michael Stern, and was worth the trip.

They cook their birds for several hours and baste them every 7-8 minutes. Check out the review on the Roadfood site.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/04 23:10:20 (permalink)
    Are you saying the Ronco Showtime rotisserie is really that good?
    The birds don't come out too dry? Has anyone done a duck on one of these?
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/04 23:41:55 (permalink)
    I don't like rotisserie chicken. It's soggy and wet. BBQ is the only way.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/04 23:45:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

I think you've been eating the wrong rotissierie chicken.
    I like BBQ too. But, it also tends to dry out in the smoking process.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/05 14:10:18 (permalink)
    IMO, the Showtime rotisserie is an excellent machine. The only negative I can think of is that it is kind of noisy when it's working. Despite that, we've always been delighted with the results. Chicken, Pork Roast, Prime Rib, Turkey--all come out perfectly.
    Torchman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/07 20:38:28 (permalink)
    As ciaoman said...the Ronco does an awesome job on certain foods. Chicken and Pork loins are GREAT!! Season up a yard bird..let it roll for 70 mins....NOT half bad!!! :-D
    gcw
    Junior Burger
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/12 01:40:54 (permalink)
    Not promoting the Ronco over any other brand available. We bought the larger sized Ronco Showtime because it can hold up to a 15-pound turkey.

Cook the chicken for 15-20 minutes per pound, to an internal temp. of 175 degrees, and it will not be dry.

Try a rub made with:

1/4 pound kosher salt
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 tbsp. granulated garlic
    1 tbsp. granulated onion
    2 teaspoons celery salt.

Combine all the ingredients. Store for up to 6 months.

For one 3 - 4 pound chicken, mix 1/cup of the rub with 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil and rub on the chicken, brushing into the cavity. Twirl as indicated above. (From "The Ultimate Rotisserie Cookbook")
    gcw
    Junior Burger
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/12 01:53:00 (permalink)
    My husband loves duck. I don't care for duck (too rich for me), but he loves this dish. (From the cookbook indicated above)

For the sauce:

2 tbsp butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 tbsp dry sherry
    1 1/2 cups red currant jelly
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp salt
    12 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp dried thyme

Melt butter, add onion, cook until softened. Add sherry, jelly, lemon juice, salt, pepper and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Rinse the duck and cut off the wing tips. Load it into the rotisserie according to directions. Prick the skin all over and brush with some basting sauce. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 175 degrees, (about 15 minutes per pound) Turn off the machine and baste the duck with sauce about every 15 minutes.

TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/12 02:04:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
    Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

I think you've been eating the wrong rotissierie chicken.
    I like BBQ too. But, it also tends to dry out in the smoking process.

I prefer dry chicken, I hate moist chicken.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/12 13:22:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

Best store-bought rotisserie chicken I've had is sold at Costco...juicy, bigger than regular grocery store chickens and considerably less money. Win, win, win.

Based on your post I tried a Costco chicken last night!

From outward appearances the chicken looked very appetizing. The dark meat was cooked perfectly, nice and juicy, the skin was OK, not really crispy at all, but still very tasty for a store bought bird.

The wings were also very good. I'm a leg/wing man, I usually use the breast as leftovers in a chicken salad or soup. I thought though for the sake of this post I would give slice of the breast a try. Not good at all very, very dry.....

Overall though, I thought it was well worth the three or four dollars I spent. Short of buying a Ronco, I would buy the Costco yardbird again.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10093
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/13 11:52:57 (permalink)
    I do Rotisserie Chickens in my gas grill.I usually cook 2 or 3 at a time. The secret is to turn it up high for 10-15 minutes, then turn it down to low (225-250 degrees). Add wood chips and baste frequently with a mixture of light olive oil, melted butter, a little salt and plenty of chopped FRESH mint leaves. Cook to an internal temp of 165 degrees. Remove from grill and let them rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting them up.Delishous!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/14 00:12:14 (permalink)
    All I know is to avoid Rotiserie chicken from a Deli in a Store.. Several people have told me that the whole chickens that expire (or are about to) in the meat department get moved over to the deli for their final attempt at a sale.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10093
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/14 01:38:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

All I know is to avoid Rotiserie chicken from a Deli in a Store.. Several people have told me that the whole chickens that expire (or are about to) in the meat department get moved over to the deli for their final attempt at a sale.

You are Absolutely correct. I worked in a meat dept and can tell you the same goes for all the marinated meats in the meat case, the Kabobs, the premixed meatloaf, etc. that was my job to take the meat out of the dated packages and doctor it up for sale in the Specialty "Ready to Cook & Serve" meat case. I've seen them take out of date ground beef and add it back into the new grind and repackage it. Date coding on fresh meat is a joke. Let the buyer beware!

TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/14 01:42:55 (permalink)
    Well why would they cook the freshest ones, of course they'd use the ones that are closer to the sell by date, it would make no sense to use the freshest ones. The sell cooked chickens to be eaten that day.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/14 01:43:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

You are Absolutely correct. I worked in a meat dept and can tell you the same goes for all the marinated meats in the meat case, the Kabobs, the premixed meatloaf, etc. that was my job to take the meat out of the dated packages and doctor it up for sale in the Specialty "Ready to Cook & Serve" meat case. I've seen them take out of date ground beef and add it back into the new grind and repackage it. Date coding on fresh meat is a joke. Let the buyer beware!

YUK! Never again for me!
    fhoran
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/22 21:59:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

quote:

YUK! Never again for me!

Well thanks a lot. You just ruined my day. Fred
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/22 23:08:23 (permalink)
    Luckily I don't eat grocery store cooked chicken, but I still say it makes sense for them to use the oldest chicken.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/22 23:10:20 (permalink)
    I will beg to differ-i ran very high end delis for years and never,ever used about to expire food-some may, but not most i frequent even now....
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/23 05:55:59 (permalink)
    Vic, I once asked that question to my brother, he is a deli manager at a large grocery store. They get their birds from a seperate source other than meat department. Birds come in fresh unwrapped on ice less the necks and livers and giblets. He stated it was less cost, less labor and size was always consitant. What is not sold by the end of the day, it's chilled and put out the next morning still chilled sold at a reduced price. The area his store is located has many older patrons on fixed incomes and they are there at the opening daily just for the day old specials, dented cans, off produce etc. Savy shoppers just streaching a buck. Chow Jim
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/23 07:05:45 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I've asked my independant butcher as well as the meat manager at Publix about this, they both told me the low end places do it.

John
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/23 11:38:41 (permalink)
    My local Brookshires stores in Quinlan and Terrell Texas make a great Italian Herb rotisserie chicken $4,99 - $3.99 on sale. Maybe it is so good because the chicks are aged. :~)

Just jokin, they do not get their birds from the meat dept. Also, their Sadlers smoked brisket is as good as any I have ever had $9.00 a lb. They slow heat it in a big oven.

I have had Cowboys, not bad and their taters ARE good. JR, do you work for Cowbays? If so, what location?
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN 2006/09/23 11:54:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JROD79

Only one post (08/17/06)??? A Troll.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1