The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Rachael Ray and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US

Holly Moore

Rachael Ray and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 4:25 PM (permalink)
OK, the tournament bracketing is a weird approach, some of the pairings are rather curious, and the omissions are glaring, but as Johnny Carson used to say, "Buy the premise, buy the bit..." All things considered, a decent list and looks like I've got some more hot dog eating in my future.

http://www.seriouseats.co...cket-and-our-part.html

Edited to correct title.
<message edited by Holly Moore on Tue, 02/1/11 7:20 PM>

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
    Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 4:29 PM (permalink)
    Where's Max's or the Windmills in NJ?????

kishkaeater

• Total Posts: 102
      Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 4:36 PM (permalink)
      Washington D.C. is in the South?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
        Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 5:14 PM (permalink)
        Hey Holly, I am sure you will agree, that we can't take any list serious that omits Charlie's Pool Room

To me, this list reeks of pure laziness.  Looks like a combination of this site, hot Dog Paradise and a couple other TV shows.  Same old, same old.

Holly Moore

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 5:37 PM (permalink)
          Joe, don't forget http://www.hollyeats.com/HotDogPage.htm

Actually, Hawk Krall knows his hot dogs - he's eaten a bunch all over the US and does great drawings of them for Serious Eats.  http://hawkkrall.blogspot.com/

From what I gather, this list was put together by committee - never a good thing.  I'm willing to bet Charlie's Pool Room would have made the cut if it were totally up to Hawk.  It would definitely make my top ten if I did top tens.

There were some places on the list I didn't know and now have to try.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
            Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 6:23 PM (permalink)
            If Hot Doug's doesn't at least win the Midwest Region, you'll know the fix was in.

Congrat's to Roadfood's very own Biker Jim for taking a top spot in the Western Region.

Maybe next year, if they do French Fries, they'll give Roadfood's guspas and his "Wiener And Still Champion" a Midwest bracket.

Buddy

MiamiDon

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 6:54 PM (permalink)
              kishkaeater

Yes

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 7:21 PM (permalink)
                Well--Virginia is in the south--and its acroos the street from DC!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                  Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 7:32 PM (permalink)
                  It's tough to do a list like this because there are so many places that serve great hot dogs. And a lot of them fly under the radar. An example is the Rahway Grill that is actually a luncheonette serving hot dogs rather than a hot dog joint. Their dogs are better than the great majority on this list.

Also the fact that there are different styles of hot dogs should be taken into consideration. Comparing a spicy beef dog from Papaya King to a milder pork based deep fried dog from Rutts Hut is like comparing apples and oranges. See the main article as well as the regional articles. I've posted in more detail there.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
                    Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 7:58 PM (permalink)
                    Skyline?? Seriously??
                    I love 'em and have 'em every time through Cinci but it's not to be judged against the big boys.

I thought the Detroiters preferred American Coney Island over Laffayette.

DT

Tony Bad

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Tue, 02/1/11 8:03 PM (permalink)
                      kishkaeater

According to Mason and Dixon it is!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                        Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:02 AM (permalink)
                        Tony Bad

kishkaeater

According to Mason and Dixon it is!

Friends of yours?

Birdhunter

• Total Posts: 94
                          Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:36 AM (permalink)
                          If these places don't have home make sauce they shouldn't be allow to enter, also a hot dog is only a hot dog if it's a natural casing dog.
                          I from Wisconsin and travel around the country side every year on my motorcycle and have had some very good coney dogs and a lot of bad dogs.
                          I look for small town Drive-Inn's and I don't ride the I system. I have been to a few on this list that wouldn't be there if it was my choice.

John Fox

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:42 AM (permalink)
                            I love Usinger's (Wisconsin) natural casing angus beef dogs. A place that properly prepares one is definitely deserving to be on the list as Usinger's makes in my opinion one of the best beef hot dogs. Certainly better than the dog served at Pinks. To me the actual frank and it's preparation is more important than any homemade sauce. I wouldn't put a good chili on a Usinger's.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                              Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 10:59 AM (permalink)
                              wouldn't this have been more interesting in a month, when the NCAA tournament is eminent?

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
                                Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                Birdhunter

If these places don't have home make sauce they shouldn't be allow to enter, also a hot dog is only a hot dog if it's a natural casing dog.
                                I from Wisconsin and travel around the country side every year on my motorcycle and have had some very good coney dogs and a lot of bad dogs.
                                I look for small town Drive-Inn's and I don't ride the I system. I have been to a few on this list that wouldn't be there if it was my choice.

I disagree somewhat and totally on the natural casing issue. I've had some really good dogs that didn't have them. I'd prefer a good tasting dog with no case than a terrible tasting one with a case.

All in all, I say taste trumps all. If it doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter whether or not it has a case, American cheese, home made sauce or what.

DT

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                  Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                  IMPO, only the "East" is a contender.

eruby

• Total Posts: 586
                                    • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                    Lafayette Coney Island but not American Coney Island from Detroit?

And NOTHING from Pennsylvania?  Hmmmmm.

Not a big fan of Ben's Chili Bowl (D.C.), and Ann's Dari-Creme (Glen Burnie, MD.) is typically two hot dogs on a sub roll.   Perhaps Chubby's (Emmitsburg, MD) and Vienna Inn (Vienna Va.) could have been a play-in game.  Or The Original vs. The Pickle Barrel (Pittsburgh).
                                    <message edited by eruby on Wed, 02/2/11 3:03 PM>

Holly Moore

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                      The bracket through the divisional playoffs. So exciting. So many upsets. Go Flo's.

http://hostedmedia.reiman...yLiving/travel/MM6.pdf

buffetbuster

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                        I have sentimental feelings for Ann's Dairy Creme in Glen Burnie, MD, because it was my mother's hang out as a teenager.  But they are under different management and are not nearly as good as they used to be.

John Fox

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:28 PM (permalink)
                                          I saw the brackets. I would agree that Gene & Jude's is a good choice for the Midwest. As I mentioned in the comments section, I would prefer that they do a listing of brands or sources of hot dogs. Many small producers such as pork stores and butcher shops make dogs that are hard to find or even non existant at hot dog restaurants. The Romanian Kosher Sausage Company is a deli that makes a kosher beef dog that in my opinion is better than Vienna Beef. But you can't find it at a hot dog stand. Wimmers out of Nebraska makes one of the better German style franks in the country. Usinger makes one of the best beef dogs. A place that serves one of their franks and prepares it properly should be included on this list. I would rate it higher than any dog in the Midwest Region.

As for the East, Nicky & Pete's over Ted's?!  Flo's over not only Jimmy Buff's but Papaya King also?!!!  I know they are different styles but the frank at Flo's has to be one of the blandest I've ever had. And steaming does nothing for a mild pork based dog. Flo's makes Hot Dog Johnny's look like a quality dog. Both are highly overrated. But, hey, who I am I to argue with anyone's subjective opinion? I enjoyed this competition and like the bracket style. Wondering why the results haven't been posted at Serious Eats.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
                                            Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                            I have eaten at only four of the places and really enjoyed  three.  The one hot dog that stands out in my mind as being  quite dreadful is  Flo's.  I tried it twice  just to be sure that  it was not a hot dog that I  would  ever rave about!

Holly Moore

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                              John, I like Flo's dog when properly attired in mayonnaise and barbecue sauce - maybe twice a year - once on my way into Maine and once returning home - Jimmy Buff's or Papaya King - I could do a few times a week.  Am rooting for Flo's as I root for the underdog.

Like that every hot dog is getting its day - but the bracket thing is totally contrived. Wish I had thought of it. Maybe not.
                                              <message edited by Holly Moore on Wed, 02/2/11 7:53 PM>

John Fox

Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Wed, 02/2/11 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                                The results are on Rachel Ray's site.

biker jim

• Total Posts: 403
                                                  Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Thu, 02/3/11 8:28 AM (permalink)
                                                  This is where I piss off a couple of people.  Gene and Jude's over Hot Dougs?  Really? 

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                                    Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Fri, 02/4/11 3:39 AM (permalink)
                                                    Jim, I'm with you 100% on that one.  Gene & Jude's may represent a classic era and style of hot dog, but there is no way they even come close to what Doug Sohn is doing at his place.  I know you've eaten at both places (I was there with you at G&J's) so, at least you know from whence you speak.

Also, although I haven't eaten at either your cart or at Pink's, I'm well familiar with your respective reputations and I gotta say dude, you got burned!

When you see a ranking system like this without any specific explanation as to why certain places come out on top over others, the validity of said ranking comes into serious question.

Buddy

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                                                      • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                      Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Fri, 02/4/11 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                                      Rachael must not have read my report.  If you "only" go to Pink's then Pink's wins.  There are many other west coast contenders that probably got passed over by not even being visited.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                                        • Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                        Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Fri, 02/4/11 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                                        what a total waste this is

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                                                          • Location: edison, NJ
                                                          Re:Rachael and Serious Eats Search for the Best Hot Dog in the US Fri, 02/4/11 8:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Rachel Ray's magazine is cookie cutter. They tame it down and cut out a lot of good stuff that Serious Eats might have wanted in there. They don't really want to put a hot dog brand you can only get in a certain area of the country. They want something that can mass appeal to everyone and everyone can try to duplicate at home.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com