Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1968
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/18 16:47:33 (permalink)
I have been meaning to get down to the Moonlite.....maybe when and if I retire...lol
Anyway, if I knew more, and had more time, I would look into a Mutton BBQ for Massachusetts Day at the Big E this fall. www.millburytravel.vacation.com/custom/index.jsp?cpname=Sheep&gocustom=true The link will tell you about my own small sheep farm in Millbury, Massachusetts. The link will also update as I know more about what we will be doing at the Big E. The success of the Moonlite aside, the marketing of mutton in the USA is a real problem. Ewes (mother sheep) are not culled as often as they should be because they sell for give-away prices. Not many Americans like mutton. The lamb samples at the Big E, will be lamb, not mutton. Once and if, I learn how the Moonlite does it, perhaps we could serve Moonlite style mutton BBQ at the Big E. It would be a good way to get people to try, and I hope like, mutton.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15213
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/18 22:17:00 (permalink)
Sounds like it is time for a roadtrip for you!! I know they do the Mutton in 30-40 lb. Chunks (looks like fore-quarter when I saw it in the cooker.) I know Bosley would be happy to show you the kitchen and the Sheep-Que in progress. Will forward a photo via email.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/19 06:36:19 (permalink)
Mutton must have been pretty popular back in the 50s. My grandmother use to make a mutton stew, {she was Irish} stank to high hell when cooking.
The finished product was damn decent though.
Al, how far is the Moonlite from Chuchill Downs? I may have a chance to score a couple of tickets for the Derby and I may be in that area for a few days for the Event. Chow Jim
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/19 09:33:34 (permalink)
Jim
Moonlite BBQ is on the west side of Owensboro,KY about 100 miles or so west of Louisville (down river). The quickest ride between the two is to use I-64 into Indiana then Exit 79 onto IN-37. Cross the River at Canalton and get on US 60 for the rest of the ride into Owensboro. It may be a few miles longer but avoids a lot of traffic signals and Louisville stop and go stuff.

If you do go, Owensboro is on Central time...an hour earlier than Louisville. Keep that in mind for timing your visit. Their Sunday hours are limited (closing at 3PM). Drop me an email if you decide to go.
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/19 20:50:16 (permalink)
MUTTON......(we ain't talkin bout lamb chops.. Please, I request your blessings. My old Bud and I(wife refused) will be conducting an assault on the Navajo Reservation in search of the best mutton stew and Navajo tacos beginning in 17 days. Truthfully, we're both planning and acting like children for the trip.
tmiles
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/20 09:45:24 (permalink)
rouxdog
That was one of our best trips. (I assume that you are talking about Monument Valley) The store in "town" has the best selection of mutton that I have ever seen, and the Navajo people were wonderful. We stayed and ate at Gouldings Lodge. I got up very early and walked around, examined the deserted runway, and watched the sun rise. It was very interesting to see the tourist planes come buzzing in a couple of hours later.
Take out the old Chevy Chase movie "Family Vacation". It will give you a good taste of what you will see.
Don't miss the "Windtalkers" museum. It is in a McDonadld's in Tuba City (I think, but maybe it is in Kayenta) For those who don't know, or didn't see the movie, the Navajo codetalkers were very important to the Marines during WW II, but because the project remained classified for so long, many Navajo Marines didn't live long enough to get the honor they deserved. I had the honor to serve with several sons of Windtalkers.
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/20 16:10:04 (permalink)
tmiles, thank you so very much. I'm a bit familiar with the area, however you provided a few new tips which I will be making note. Yes, the Navajo people are beautiful and gracious. We bellaganas just need to slow down to appreciate their culture and customs. Codetalkers yes! Much like the Tuskegee airman! I've been privaleged to have a dear friend, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen.
I thank you,
rouxdog
PS..I think Mayor and Mrs. Mayor's dinner looked terrific!
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/21 16:49:42 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor - you were the inspiration for dinner tonight! We purchased lamb chops at BJ's today, and I'm going to marinate them in some garlic, lemon, rosemary, s & p, and olive oil. Doing them on the grill, though with some grilled potatos and asparagus. AND also from your inspiration, we FINALLY bought a digital camera. Not nearly as good as yours, but the advice you had emailed me a while ago was a big help. Thank you! For our first food portrait we'll take pictures of tonight's dinner and try to post them
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/21 20:49:08 (permalink)

Sue,
Thanks for the kudos! I know you guys have been very busy with house-hunting etc. I will be looking for a photo of the lamb chops shortly. If I can help with posting, let me know. When you post them, tell us about your new camera,please!
AL
tmiles
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/25 13:44:04 (permalink)
Aussie lamb will be in good supply a little longer, then in short supply for a few years. It has been so dry, down under, that the sheep flocks are getting cut way back, hence the good supply now. Once they get rain, most female lambs will be held back to rebuild, so we will pay with short supplies later. After years of decline, the USA sheep population has started to grow again. If USA growers/packers can do a good job, we may be able to take a little market share back from Australia. We will have to do a VERY good job. The Aussies are using this time to cull deeply, and really improve the national flock. When they come back (after some nice rain)they will strong competition.
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/04/29 17:03:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

I love lamb. The times I went to France I was in heaven because they know how to make it. And you do, too, Al. I am drooling over that rack of lamb, made rare just the way I like it. One of the good restaurants where I came from used rosemary, butter and bread crumbs on it, Dijon mustard first to hold the crumbs. Lord was it good. Gotta get to Costco soon.

I use the rosemary, Dijon mustard and breadcrumbs, too.

Amen! Me too
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/05/30 11:49:47 (permalink)

We did a second try at the Lamb Rack for Memorial Day dinner for the two of us. No photos this time, I'm sorry to say. We followed the same steps and tried to watch the timing closely. I am amazed at how just ONE minute difference meant so much to the "Doneness Scale" of those little Ribs. Janet's were done 'Just Right'--Pink to Very Pink or what I would call Medium. Mine got a little brown around the edges and deeper into the chop. The center was Pink...but not Soft Pink, or what I call Medium Well on the "Lamb Scale". They were still juicy and very flavorful. We served them with Butter Beans and some Home Fried Potato chunks and onions, browned in the Lamb drippings. They were Outstanding. I think we are ready to try serving these Ribs to some company soon.

Aussie Rack of Lamb price at Costco still $9.99 a pound with our Racks costing about $13 each.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner 2007/05/30 17:42:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We did a second try at the Lamb Rack for Memorial Day dinner for the two of us. No photos this time, I'm sorry to say. We followed the same steps and tried to watch the timing closely. I am amazed at how just ONE minute difference meant so much to the "Doneness Scale" of those little Ribs. Janet's were done 'Just Right'--Pink to Very Pink or what I would call Medium. Mine got a little brown around the edges and deeper into the chop. The center was Pink...but not Soft Pink, or what I call Medium Well on the "Lamb Scale". They were still juicy and very flavorful. We served them with Butter Beans and some Home Fried Potato chunks and onions, browned in the Lamb drippings. They were Outstanding. I think we are ready to try serving these Ribs to some company soon.

Aussie Rack of Lamb price at Costco still $9.99 a pound with our Racks costing about $13 each.

No Pictures " />
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1