Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
  • Roadfood Insider
Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Sun, 04/15/07 8:51 PM (permalink)

We purchased a couple of Lamb Rib Racks at Costco last weekend. Two racks cost about $20 total. Since Janet has been down with a flu bug and the weather was nasty, we held off doing the Lamb until this evening.

Hers we seasoned with the Montreal Steak Seasoning she likes so much. Mine was rubbed with Garlic Pepper and Garlic Salt. (I find the Montreal Pepper a bit strong for my tastes).

Seared and Browned in a little Olive oil, and Mine was basted with Coke. Then the two Racks were loaded into a roasting pan and Oven-Finished at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Mine received the dregs from the frying pan and some more Coke to darken and sweeten it a bit.
Served with our Asparagus & Parm. Cheese (A spring favorite in our home).

Here are the results- First the Racks as they came out of the oven..resting! Mine is on the bottom, darker from the Coke basteing but done about the same amount.

Then the Dinner. We love the Spring Veggies with our main course!-

A very nice dinner for two on a lazy Sunday afternoon!! Yes, we did finish it off. Lots of Lamby treats got mixed into the Scotties dry food tonight.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
    RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Sun, 04/15/07 9:20 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We purchased a couple of Lamb Rib Racks at Costco last weekend. Two racks cost about $20 total. Since Janet has been down with a flu bug and the weather was nasty, we held off doing the Lamb until this evening.

Hers we seasoned with the Montreal Steak Seasoning she likes so much. Mine was rubbed with Garlic Pepper and Garlic Salt. (I find the Montreal Pepper a bit strong for my tastes).

Seared and Browned in a little Olive oil, and Mine was basted with Coke. Then the two Racks were loaded into a roasting pan and Oven-Finished at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Mine received the dregs from the frying pan and some more Coke to darken and sweeten it a bit.
    Served with our Asparagus & Parm. Cheese (A spring favorite in our home).

Here are the results- First the Racks as they came out of the oven..resting!

Then the Dinner. We love the Spring Veggies with our main couarse!-

A very nice dinner for two on a lazy Sunday afternoon!!

We just did some Costco lamb racks, too.

Mashed garlic and fresh rosemary paste, sit for an hour or so to soak and come to room temp, salt and pepper; then a 500 degree oven to desired cooking temp (actually, feel method, like a steak); a little rest; then under the broiler for a few minutes to finish the crust. Steamed brocolli.

And probably the same nasty weather.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
      RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Sun, 04/15/07 9:25 PM (permalink)

Thanks Gordon. Are you still in new Jersey. We had a little rain and upper 30's and 40's til this afternoon when it cleared out. Hope you guys are warm and dry back East.

This was our first time doing the Racks "Inside". We were quite pleased with the results.

seafarer john

RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Sun, 04/15/07 9:27 PM (permalink)
        Those racks were beautiful- we are envious. Please describe to me just what is "rosemary paste". We are familiar with and grow and use rosemary , but the paste is something new to us,

cheers, John

GordonW

RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Sun, 04/15/07 11:22 PM (permalink)
          Better to say, garlic chopped and then mashed with the side of a knife, combined with rosemary that is roughly chopped and then bruised a bit, again with the side of the knife. Yes, rosemary would be hard to turn into paste.

In North Carolina now -- the nasty weather is from that big system coming up from the South. The folks in the Northeast especially didn't have a good weekend.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
            RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 12:49 AM (permalink)

Awesome rack, Al. The Scotties live well.

Thanks for the visual post! I love lamb, but the only one in my family that likes it is my Father-in-law.....a little over 5000 miles away in Winterback, Germany. Needless to say, I don't make it very often here.

DD

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
              RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 7:16 AM (permalink)
              Geez Al, you're making me wish I liked Lamb.

John

namret

• Total Posts: 105
                RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 7:42 AM (permalink)
                So how was the lamb? Filet Mignon tender? or what?

Thanks.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 7:47 AM (permalink)
                  Unless I make lamb shish kebab PP won't touch the stuff. So no lamb roast for me

Al, looks really good. Where did you get the idea for a Coke baste?

MikeS.

Sundancer7

RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 7:56 AM (permalink)
                    Al, that sure does look very appetizing to me. Nice presentation and had I known you were doing such a good job for Sunday dinner, I would have stopped by.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                      RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 8:48 AM (permalink)
                      I love lamb. The times I went to France I was in heaven because they know how to make it. And you do, too, Al. I am drooling over that rack of lamb, made rare just the way I like it. One of the good restaurants where I came from used rosemary, butter and bread crumbs on it, Dijon mustard first to hold the crumbs. Lord was it good. Gotta get to Costco soon.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 10:25 AM (permalink)

A couple of notes for anyone messing with the Rack for the first time or two.

1. When we have done them on the outdoor grill it is real easy to let them get past the medium stage. These little guys grill very quickly. Keep that Meat Thermometer handy.

2. The Coke baste came from some of the cooking described here on this site. Frankly it added very little, but I think it did 'dress up' the appearance a bit.

3. Janet really likes the Montreal Steak Seasoning. I think it overpowered the lamb in this case. But I don't use much pepper on anything. Jan thought I had too much Garlic on mine. I think the seasoning for a Rack of Lamb needs to 'fit' the consumer of the finished product. We patted the dry seasoning on these racks just before starting the browning stage. Next time I will be marinating the Rack in the Garlic Pepper and Coke mixture for 5-10 minutes before starting the process.

The question about the tenderness of the meat... Yes, It was indeed the soft and very tender 'Filet Mignon' of the Lamb. While just a couple of bites per Rib, when you consider one serving to be a rack of 7 or 8 Ribs, there was enough meat in the rack to fill me up.

We will do this again soon!

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
                          RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 10:58 AM (permalink)
                          Those Costco racks are the best. We take them with us when we go camping. Sounds odd, I know. But they're perfect for cooking and eating outdoors. Lolichops.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                            RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 11:27 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by shortchef

I love lamb. The times I went to France I was in heaven because they know how to make it. And you do, too, Al. I am drooling over that rack of lamb, made rare just the way I like it. One of the good restaurants where I came from used rosemary, butter and bread crumbs on it, Dijon mustard first to hold the crumbs. Lord was it good. Gotta get to Costco soon.

That was the first way I learned how to make it too. It is simple and very good. The breaded lamb chops that I showed was based on this. I did not do it as I felt that the breading would not hold as well for sauteing.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19127

mark

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
                              RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 12:34 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by shortchef

I use the rosemary, Dijon mustard and breadcrumbs, too.

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
                                RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
                                Al, those rack of lamb look sooo good! I love lamb, but rarely get it, because I'm the only one who likes and will eat it, and it's so very expensive. Have to treat myself every once in a while though. You folks sure ate good, I know!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                  Tarragon,
                                  Trust me, Our food budget doesn't allow for this sort of treat twice a week!! Each of the Racks was under $10, which is about the same as the Porterhouse steaks and the Scallops (per pound), I used in my last two photo exhibits of Sunday dinners in the Bowen Home.
                                  You said it right...We treat ourselves to something good now and then!

Medrare

• Total Posts: 13
                                    RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                    Those are cooked just the way i like them.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Mon, 04/16/07 9:37 PM (permalink)

Thank You , Medrare! And Welcome to Roadfood. We hope you find your visits here to be informative and 'fun'.

I have wanted to try this lamb 'indoor' recipe since OUTBACK dropped their Rack of Lamb from the menu a couple of years ago. They did a nice job with their Lamb whenever we ordered it at the local store. But the Price went above $20 for a dinner and then they dropped it. So now if we want the Rack of Lamb it will be off to Costco (like I need a reason!!) to fetch a little 'baaaaaa' !

seafarer john

RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                        Mr Mayor: It mut be just your local Outback that dropped rack of lamb from the menu. In February I had a rack at the Outback on 4th St in St Pete - they do a pretty good job on it - better than they do on their so-called steaks.

Cheers, John

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 10:47 AM (permalink)

Seafareer
                                          Thanks for the heads up on the Outback Lamb. We did enjoy their lamb several times! I like to use the dipping sauce they put out with their Coconut Shrimp with the Lamb Ribs...It adds a lot to the flavor of the meat.

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
                                            RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                            Mr Mayor did you "French" the ribs yourself or does your Costco do it for you?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 12:21 PM (permalink)

No, We didn't 'French' or otherwise trim the Racks of Ribs. They are sold in Cryovac packages and what you see in the photos are the racks as they were done 'direct from the packaging'. I assume whatever trimming was done was done at the packing house. The local store didn't 'handle' the meat directly.

BunglingBill

• Total Posts: 218
                                                RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                                Those are GREAT photos, but unfortunately, lamb is something I was never able to acquire a taste for. My relatives and neighbors in the South were apparently not exposed to much lamb when I was growing up.

Consequently, when I first tried lamb, probably in my late twenties or so, I didn't like it then and have never been fond of it since.

But, I would guess that if one likes lamb, Al's presentation is about as good as it gets!

GordonW

RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                                  I was in my Costco yesterday. Racks were $9.99/lb, which translates to about $12 for a cryovac pack of 8 ribs. Not frozen.

And they're frenched and trimmed up top pretty well, so it's not much expensive fat dripping into the pan or getting in the way of the tasty lean.

Not sure what difference it makes, but it's a Kirkland brand on the lamb now, instead of the out-of-store label they had a little while ago. Still from Australia.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 1:26 PM (permalink)

Gordon,
                                                    In the frozen meat section they have a boxed package of Lamb Rib Racks for $16.50. They are from New Zealand and weigh in at a standard 14 oz each. We thought the Aussie Racks were a better deal, and based on the results we guessed right ! The price comparison I posted above should have been clearer... The Lamb was $9.99 PER POUND as I was comparing to the price of the Porterhouse($6) and Scallops($9)

GordonW

• Location: Chapel Hill, NC
                                                      RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                                      Didn't know they had frozen. Can't imagine it beats the $9.99 stuff.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Tue, 04/17/07 10:22 PM (permalink)

The boxes of the New Zealand Ribs were sealed,so we couldn't check the ribs against the Cryovac packages visually...But I can't imagine they would be worth the extra cost for a smaller serving.
                                                        We are very pleased at the results of this experiment and will do them again soon !
                                                        The Scotties were pleased also !!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1912
                                                          • Location: Millbury, MA
                                                          RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Wed, 04/18/07 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          IMO, the Kiwis and Aussies are doing are far better job with this product than we have been doing in the USA. They provide a pre "frenched", attractive package in the self serv case, for impulse buys. The imported racks also have an excellent shelf life. In the USA, only Mountain States/Rosen is doing as good (or better) a job. www.rosenlamb.com The problem is that we don't have enough sheep in the USA , and we don't have enough sheep on a regional basis to support a large efficient processing infrastructure. I have been told by people who know, that Aussie and NZ lamb packing plants are so efficient that the savings almost pay the high cost transport to the USA.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner Wed, 04/18/07 1:29 PM (permalink)

Tmiles,
                                                            To "PiggyBack" (pun intended!) on your packing house comment... When we were talking to Pat Bosley (one of the owners) about the source for the large quantity of Mutton that they BBQ at the Moonlite down in Owensboro, KY, he pointed out that there were no (large volume) sources for the meat locally anymore. He order several thousand pounds a week from Texas and Nebraska to meet the needs of his customers in Kentucky! It is odd that we consider the Mutton-Que to be a smaller regional specialty, but the main dish comes from so far!

As I said earlier, we are quite happy with the Racks of Lamb that we obtained from Costco and hope to do them again soon.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com