(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL

Author
Keysey42
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2014/04/02 12:16:34 (permalink)

(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL

I've talked about it on these forums before, but today I got to photograph it in action — the world's coolest drive-through is at Dee Dee's Diner in Ocala, FL.

Located at the Ocala Amtrak Station downtown, Dee Dee's is easy to get to from I-75, US 441/301 and FL-40. The building is part of the original station, built in 1917.

Inside, the decor reflects the building's railroad heritage, complete with a large-scale model railroad track encircling the dining room at doorway height. A model train operates on weekends.

Dee Dee's is open for breakfast and lunch Mon-Sat, with an extensive menu and daily specials. Every day features a fresh house made soup, such as Split Pea w/Ham.

The 1/2 lb. Reuben Dog is a good lunch selection on the menu.

An occasional lunch special is the Fried Pork Chop — not diet food, by any means, but tasty!

And if you're lucky, co-owner Teresa will have baked a chocolate cake the night before. (If not, house-made Baklava is available every day until it sells out).

Now, about that drive-through. CSX freight crews have discovered Dee Dee's, and occasionally, a northbound crew will call in an order when they're 15-20 minutes south of town. The food is cooked, boxed and bagged by the time the train hits town. When the crossing bells start ringing, Teresa grabs the food and heads outside. As the train crawls through the railroad crossing at walking speed, Teresa hands the trainman the food and takes the money (tip included). Transaction complete, the train accelerates and continues on its way.

If you're passing through Ocala, it's worth a stop!
post edited by Keysey42 - 2014/04/02 12:18:30

14 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/02 12:34:22 (permalink)
    That sounds like it's worth the whole stop just to see, Keysey!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4195
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/02 19:17:43 (permalink)
    The Museum of the American Railroad is presently under construction in Frisco, TX.  It will truly be spectacular.  Even now one can drive by the acres and acres of every sort and type of locomotive and rolling stock - a literal Noah's Ark for the railroads. 

And, right near the entrance there is a Babe's Chicken Dinner House.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10398
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/02 19:49:50 (permalink)
    A train drive-thru is a great idea!  Thanks so much for the wonderful photos.  And how good does that chocolate cake look? 
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/02 20:37:35 (permalink)
    I've been there, neat little place. I recall the hot dog being very tasty and very filling
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2985
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/02 20:52:27 (permalink)
    That's a slice of American history....great photo!
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/02 21:17:21 (permalink)
    Jim, that museum looks awesome — will have to make a trip out west to check it out. And Babe's looks pretty good, too.

I appreciate the compliments, everyone. First attempt at a photo post from the iPad, and I was relieved to see it worked!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 07:37:35 (permalink)
    Keysey42

Jim, that museum looks awesome — will have to make a trip out west to check it out. And Babe's looks pretty good, too.

I appreciate the compliments, everyone. First attempt at a photo post from the iPad, and I was relieved to see it worked!

There's 'just something' about trains and food.  My mouth still waters when I think about the meals I had (as an 8 year ols) aboard the Super Chief.

In Virginia, both Staunton and Charlottesville have excellent restaurants set in old train stations by which the trains (passenger & freight) still run.

What they are building in Frisco (a close-in 'burb just north of Dallas that makes every "Best Place to Live" list) is going to be a wonder for all train fans.  Babe's is a local legend that has been featured on 'foodie' shows of all types, including "Thre Best Thing I Ever Ate".  If chicken isn't your thing, Frisco is la-la-loaded with great places to eat, including Bone Daddy's, a BBQ Breastaurant that serves great food (only in Dallas!).
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 08:08:33 (permalink)
    That is an awesome drive-thru....
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2985
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 08:42:17 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim -
    When my wife and I lived and traveled your way - Arlington 1989-1991, we often in the 80's and early 90's dined at Clark's BBQ in Tioga.  We witnessed several occasions where helicopters landed across the street and several guys came in for dinner.  Talked about often, but not witnessed by us, were stories of locomotive engines and cabooses being switched around on the nearby tracks and the train crews stopping with engines idling and coming in to eat in their striped bib overalls.  That was a fun place...I still remember Bon Appetite putting them, on the cover as best BBQ place in America back in the 80's!  Great memories!
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 10:26:44 (permalink)
    This happens in Taylor TX also. Sometimes the Union Pacific crews will phone in an order to Louis Muellers and pick it up on the way through. I cannot substantiate this as it is rumor but it sounds reasonable.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 10:40:43 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

MetroplexJim -
    When my wife and I lived and traveled your way - Arlington 1989-1991, we often in the 80's and early 90's dined at Clark's BBQ in Tioga.  We witnessed several occasions where helicopters landed across the street and several guys came in for dinner.  Talked about often, but not witnessed by us, were stories of locomotive engines and cabooses being switched around on the nearby tracks and the train crews stopping with engines idling and coming in to eat in their striped bib overalls.  That was a fun place...I still remember Bon Appetite putting them, on the cover as best BBQ place in America back in the 80's!  Great memories!

Clark's is still there in Tioga (birthplace and hometown of Gene Autry) and still going strong.  Great stuff and, for us, well worth the 40+ mile trip from McKinney.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 10:44:04 (permalink)
    When I lived in Valencia, CA, I often took the family to breakfast at L.A. County's oldest surviving restaurant, the Saugus Cafe. Right on San Fernando Road with the tracks directly across the street, many were the times we would be eating, see a locomotive pull up and stop, watch the crew dismount and come in to pick up a meal. 10 minutes later the train was on the way again. Pretty neat!
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 12:07:42 (permalink)
    brisketboy:

I have no doubt this happens wherever a good diner is adjacent to active railroad tracks. After all, a local freight crew can park in a siding and take a lunch break, but through freight trains have to keep to a schedule and can't block the main line. So eating on the run is a must.

I learned this morning that Amtrak's long-distance locomotives even have built-in cup holders!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8071
    Re:(Rail)Roadfood — World's coolest drive-thru in Ocala, FL 2014/04/03 12:14:49 (permalink)
    Great report, Keysey!  Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1