Hot!Raising Arizona

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 12
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10082
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/03 20:47:43 (permalink)
Take another look Buddy.  She's there.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 01:28:51 (permalink)
When in Arizona, you should really come to Prescott . We have some really good restaurants here and Prescott is known as "everyone's home town" as well as "Arizona's Christmas City". It's a beautiful place in the mountains half way between Flagstaff and Phoenix. One of the main attractions in town is the courthouse plaza with lots of shade trees and wonderful shops and restaurants in the area. Lots of antique stores. We have Prescott College, Yavapai College, and Embry-Riddle University. There are miles of hiking and biking trails for all levels of experience. There are all kinds of food here. One of my favorite places is right on the plaza, Bill's Pizza. They are on at least one list of the 100 best pizza's in America and have lots of interesting toppings. There are diners and fine dining restaurants. It's a fun place to explore. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 02:39:41 (permalink)
buffetbuster Take another look Buddy.  She's there.
You mean the girl working the register?  She's cute alright, but I guess I expected to see her balancing a tray piled high with hot entrees.  Seeing her ringing up checks threw my perception out of whack.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 07:31:14 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Seriously dude, you mention a "cutie pie" waitress, then don't include a picture of her?  C'mon Cliff, Man does not live on Mexican food alone.  A good looking waitress every once in a while gives us a better perspective on life.

Buddy

He's probably a little nervous The Travelin Man may hop a plane and spoil a good thing...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 07:52:41 (permalink)
Buddy,
I didn't take that photo because of her nor post it because of her, it was just a happy coincidence.  Otherwise, I am sorry for letting you down.  How about some more photos of cousin Johnny to make up for it?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 08:16:24 (permalink)
lynndunham

When in Arizona, you should really come to Prescott . We have some really good restaurants here and Prescott is known as "everyone's home town" as well as "Arizona's Christmas City". It's a beautiful place in the mountains half way between Flagstaff and Phoenix. One of the main attractions in town is the courthouse plaza with lots of shade trees and wonderful shops and restaurants in the area. Lots of antique stores. We have Prescott College, Yavapai College, and Embry-Riddle University. There are miles of hiking and biking trails for all levels of experience. There are all kinds of food here. One of my favorite places is right on the plaza, Bill's Pizza. They are on at least one list of the 100 best pizza's in America and have lots of interesting toppings. There are diners and fine dining restaurants. It's a fun place to explore. 
Thanks for the information on Prescott.  With us only having a week and trying to cover a state the size of Arizona, certainly there will be plenty of places we couldn't get to.  But truthfully, Prescott wasn't even on our radar.  Now we know for next time.

love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1351
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 08:26:59 (permalink)
Prescott is also the home of Berry's Pie Pantry & Restaurant, where you can see their small, in-house pie production.  I loved their Sour Cream Lemon pie!  They also serve breakfast.  I got their flannel cakes.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 08:29:23 (permalink)
love2bake-
Now THAT would have made us visit Prescott.  Had we known ahead of time, we would have stopped. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 09:20:19 (permalink)
Last June, one of my employees (John) left after working in my family business for ten years and moved to the Phoenix area.  He never liked the cold we have in Pennsylvania and his brother had just settled in the area, so he decided to make the leap.  It was very disappointing for us, because he was such an outstanding person and such a hard worker, but I was happy for him personally.  Although, I was sure he was crazy for moving to the Valley of the Sun in June.  But, after the brutal winter we just experienced, he may be the smart one!

We tried to make plans to get together on the previous Friday night, but with me having to pick up my cousin at the airport, plus it being Valentine's Day, we decided to push it back for a week.  John (not to be confused with cousin Johnny) loves pizza and lives well west of the city in Buckeye, so we decided to meet at the Grimaldi's Coal Brick Oven Pizzeria location in Glendale/Peoria.  Although I have never been to the original New York location of Grimaldi's, I have eaten at the one in Fort Myers and the one in Scottsdale.  Although I like pizza just fine and eating at the great places in New Haven is a special treat, it just isn't one of my favorite foods.  But cousin Johnny is a big pizza guy, so this seemed like a good choice for everyone.

The traffic driving on I-10 from one side of Phoenix to the other (we were staying in Tempe), even at 6:30pm, was brutal.  Luckily, Johnny and I always leave extra time and still showed up a few minutes early.  The Glendale Grimaldi's

is in an upscale shopping center filled with expensive stores, expensive looking restaurants and a big movie theater.  There was a crowd milling around the outside waiting for a table, but I had called ahead for a reservation.  At 7:00, they seated us, even though our friends hadn't arrived yet, which surprised me, but the rest of the group showed up just a minute or two later.

As soon as the waitress came over, we told her to get us a large antipasto plate going.  It included Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella, oven roasted sweet red peppers, olives and bread.  Even though it was meant to share, the others barely picked at it, so it was up to Johnny and I to finish it off.  Which we did happily!  

The pizza menu is fairly big,

with a nice variety of different toppings.  Even though everyone was very nice, they aren't Roadfooders, so each pairing ordered and ate their own pizzas.  There wasn't any sharing.  John and his wife went with the unusual combination of bacon, ham and jalapenos. 

I asked if this was their usual pizza order and they said no, they just wanted to try something different, which I certainly respect.  John's brother and his wife went with pepperoni and mushroom, a combination I am partial to.  Sorry, no photos.

Johnny and I went with the Italian sausage and oven roasted sweet red peppers. 

We thought they were very generous with the toppings, with practically no bite not having some sausage or pepper in it.  The crust was wonderfully crispy at first, but because there was so much chatting going on, it did sit there for a while and eventually became a little soggy.  Underneath, there was plenty of burn spots,

which Johnny called charred bubbles.  The mozzarella was definitely high quality, the sauce just slightly on the sweet side.  Everyone was very happy with their pizzas.

We sat there talking for a good two hours, talking over old times and Pittsburgh sports in particular.  It was great to see John again, although my half-hearted attempts to talk him into coming back were fruitless.  

Grimaldi's Coal Brick-Oven Pizzeria
9788 W. Northern Avenue Suite 1440
Peoria, AZ
623-486-4464

Even though it was now getting late, Johnny and I still had one more stop to make before calling it in a night.  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/04 09:24:43
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 09:23:25 (permalink)
Yeah, Berry's Pie pantry and Casa Alvarez are two places that I like going in Prescott.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 10:13:40 (permalink)
"Even though it was meant to share, the others barely picked at it, so it was up to Johnny and I to finish it off."  I see your prayers were answered!!! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 10:41:00 (permalink)
No trip to the Phoenix area is complete without at least one stop at the famous Sugar Bowl

in Scottsdale.  Located in the Old Town section of Scottsdale, Sugar Bowl was jumping on this night.  I have been here many times before and have never seen it this crowded.  Most of the people here were families or teenagers out on dates, but judging by the way everyone was dressed, these were very well-to-do families and teenagers.  But then, this is Scottsdale.

The theme at Sugar Bowl is pink.  It is very old fashioned looking, with an impressive counter in the middle and lots of pink booths

and tables spread throughout the large room.  After a short ten minute wait, we were led to our table.

The menu is,

of course, pink.  Johnny chose the DesireMe (That's how they spell it) Banana Split,

which was a real thing of beauty!  It is only two scoops, so the scoop of chocolate was left out, but this was still a substantial sundae.  I have ordered all kinds of different sundaes here over the years, with my favorite being the Dusty Road, but on this night, it was the plain old, boring hot fudge sundae. 

Very satisfying and we both thought the vanilla ice cream was especially creamy.

Sugar Bowl
4005 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ
602-946-0051

It was just a short distance back to our hotel for the night.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 11:13:35 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Grimaldi's Coal Brick Oven Pizzeria 

wrong pizza
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 11:39:28 (permalink)
Boring? Boring? You call my favorite, the hot fudge sundae, boring? Boy, are you in trouble.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3900
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 20:52:12 (permalink)
BB, 
I grew up with plenty of relatives in Scottsdale and some of my first childhood memories of going there include the Sugar Bowl.That is always one of my stops when I visit there. Thanks for the fine photos that bring back childhood memories.

The last time I was in Scottsdale we pulled up at Grimaldi's, looked at the line and said no way. I think I may have to brave the crowds on my next visit. 

lynndunham,
Now you've made me disappointed I didn't stop in Prescott on my last trip to Sedona. I will have to add that to my next trip's itinerary!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10101
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 21:22:24 (permalink)
Prescott was founded in 1864 as the Territorial Capital of Arizona
Don't want to hijack this great thread so read among yourselves.
http://www.cityofprescott.net/
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2563
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 22:46:46 (permalink)
buffetbuster,

Prescott, so what?

You went to Arizona without a stop in Wikieup. Why'd you even bother? You had to pass through it on the way back to Phoenix, didn't you?

jrp
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 22:48:50 (permalink)
JRP-
Is that anywhere near Onowomoc?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 22:53:07 (permalink)
bb - You missed an "o"
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/04 22:54:11 (permalink)
bb - I'm sure Foodbme will fill you in whenever he gets up.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/05 04:34:34 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster,
Prescott, so what?
You went to Arizona without a stop in Wikieup. Why'd you even bother? You had to pass through it on the way back to Phoenix, didn't you?
jrp

JRP,
You've only been gone a short time and already you've forgotten your AZ Geography?
BB & CJ didn't go West of Flagstaff on this trip.
They came down I-17 to PHX which would have put them quite a ways East of Wikieup. 
Perhaps on their next trip out to this beautiful state, they can do the Western half including Kingman, Wickenburg, Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Salome, Bullhead City, Bagdad, Peach Springs including the Sky Walk, Lake Havasu City, Quartzite Oatman and of course - Wikieup. Essentially, everything West of I-17. Not a whole lot out there!
AZ is a BIG place - it covers 113, 990 Square Miles!
BB's home state of PA is only 46,055 Square Miles! So it's double + the size of PA.!
It's roughly 2800 miles from LA to NYC.
I'll bet BB & CJ drove pretty close to that on this trip!
Ain't it so BB?
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/04/05 04:44:51
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/05 07:39:12 (permalink)
Mr. Geography Major, find this on your map. Now draw a line to Phoenix.

I thought bb & CJ had gone here, but after reading bb's write-up apparently not.

But anyway, Wikieup is worth the short detour.

jrp
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/07 14:49:08 (permalink)
Saturday February 22, 2014

After so many days in a row of getting up and out of the hotel early, it felt good to lounge around the room for a change.  Our breakfast destination, Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles does not open until 9:00AM and we pulled up just moments before.

This was my first visit to the new building downtown and it looks like a much bigger, shinier version of the old place. 

Love the new neon sign!  They also have a big window into the kitchen

where you can see the cooks preparing the food from the street.  They also had a two sided sign

on the sidewalk advertising specials and dessert.

We were the first customers through the door and the new interior is roomy,

with high ceilings.  The hostess greeted us warmly as did our server Jamal, who proved to be an excellent waiter.  I couldn't help but walk around and see the interesting decorations throughout the interior.  Not too many places still serve Kool-Aid,

which they advertise with this striking sign.  And it goes without saying that a place with chicken in it's name will have plenty of chicken images,

like this wall mural.

The menu has a fairly big variety,

but both of us focused on a chicken and waffles combination.  First out was the fried green tomatoes appetizer,

with the thick, crumbly coating and the wonderfully tart tomatoes.  The dipping sauce was similar to Thousand islands dressing.

Johnny's entrée was the Lil Amadi,

which was one thigh and one drumstick, along with a homemade waffle.  My choice was the Tre-Tre's (they seem to like to give menu items repeating names),

with two drumsticks and a waffle.  The chicken was not particularly moist or juicy, but still had great flavor, especially the salty, spicy outer crust.  This chicken is not in the category of a Stroud's or a Bon Ton Mini Mart, but is still very enjoyable.  The buttermilk waffles were on the thin side, with a malty flavor and really held the butter and syrup without getting too soft.  Excellent!

Growing up, both of us loved our Kentucky born grandmothers string beans, which were full of big hunks of potatoes.  So, we could not resist ordering the string beans and red potatoes side dish,

which had a decided Cajun spice to it.  The only complaint about this is the size portion was too small.  Otherwise, an excellent dish.  To drink, big mason jars

of some of some of the sweetest sweet tea imaginable.

No dessert for us, since we were meeting Foodbme in just another hour for lunch.

I have always enjoyed Lo-Lo's in the past, but this surely best meal I have had here.  The service and attitude of the young African-American staff was outstanding and we had countless other servers stop at our table to check on us and chat.  With the new larger building that can hold more people, it is also a very popular place and by the time we were leaving, the place was filled.  Which is why they had to start the valet parking. 

Luckily, we got here early enough, we didn't have to use it.

Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles
1220 S. Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ
602-340-1304      
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/07 14:51:06
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/07 14:52:38 (permalink)
I also love mason jars for drinks...seeing more and more of them...a trend I hope continues!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/07 14:54:29 (permalink)
CTD-
I am also a fan of mason jars.  Not only do they typically hold more beverage, it seems to taste better with a thicker glass. 
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/07 14:54:49 (permalink)
let the kicking and screaming commence forthwith
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/07 17:36:44 (permalink)
We needed to kill about 45 minutes in the downtown, so we headed over to the state capitol area.  The building itself

is attractive and seems to fit in perfectly with Arizona, but it is small and is more of a museum than anything else.  The senate and house of representatives 

are in ugly, utilitarian buildings that look more like a high school than anything else.  Like previously mentioned, they do have petrified wood

which you are welcome to touch, unlike back at the national park.

Just a short distance from the buildings is an impressive war memorial plaza,

with monuments to the fighting men of different wars.  The one I was especially interested in viewing was the one dedicated to the Navajo code talkers. 

Being a history lover, I had recently read the book Code Talker, which is a memoir of Chester Nez, a Navajo marine who helped develop the code which the Japanese were never able to break during World War II.  I can't recommend this book high enough.  Chester still travels around giving talks about the subject and I would love to go see him someday.

Before we left on the trip, I was in contact with Roadfooder Foodbme about getting together.  Even though we knew it wasn't a favorite place of his, we appreciated that he agreed to meet us at Pizzeria BiancoThis is one of the most highly regarded pizza places in the country.  I was looking forward to trying it and I know Johnny was very excited about it.

When we drove over to where the pizzeria was, there was a big crowd of people, because as we found out later, a Japanese festival was going on in the park adjacent to the restaurant.  This also led to a long line of cars driving around, looking for a place to park their car.  We did see one garage that everyone seemed headed to and the price for parking was $25.00.  No way we were doing that.  It was now getting to the point where we were going to be late, so we decided to drop me off at the restaurant and let poor Johnny figure where to park on his own.  As I walked up to the restaurant, I saw the valet parking, which I didn't know they had.  After confirming it was for the restaurant and the restaurant only, I gave Johnny a call and he quickly wheeled around into the lot.  Foodbme was sitting right outside the front door and we were the second group into the restaurant when they opened the doors at 11:00AM.

The inside is not big. 

Considering how popular the place was, it could be much bigger, but maybe they like it this way.  To drink, both Johnny and I chose a soda I had never seen before, Bubble Up. 

It tasted mostly like a Sprite, although it is made by the people who brought us Dad's Root Beer.

There are only six pizzas on the menu and we decided to split two of them for the three of us.  First up was the Wiseguy,

with fennel sausage, wood roasted onion and fresh mozzarella.  Now, I'm not really a pizza guy, but even I had to admit that is a great looking pizza.  It was a little thinner than we expected, but certainly not what I would call a thin crust pizza.  The toppings were savory (sausage) and smoky (onions), while the crust had a splendid chew.  You can see from the underside

that it wasn't quite as burned as what we enjoyed the night before, but there was little doubt that this was the superior pizza.   As good as that was, the classic margherita

with fresh basil and mozzarella cheese was even better.  There were a few slices leftover, which Johnny and I knew we would never be able to get to, so Foodbme agreed to take home with him.

All in all, eating at Pizzeria Bianco was a terrific experience.  The food definitely lived up to the expectations, the staff was friendly, not snooty and Foodbme is an interesting guy and excellent company.  As we were walking out, a nice crowd had developed outside,

but it still didn't look like all that long of a wait.

Pizzeria Bianco
623 E. Adams Street
Phoenix, AZ
602-258-8300

We had plans next for a dessert stop and we were on our way.                 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/07 17:42:16
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 02:50:36 (permalink)
TJ - FYI - I went, I valet parked so no hassle, I enjoyed not having to wait in line to get in.
I enjoyed the pizza but more especially I really enjoyed the terrific company.
It was a beautiful day weather-wise, enjoyed seeing people in native Japanese costumes coming to the Japanese Heritage Festival as well.
Phoenix has a substantial Asian Population.
Sorry to disappoint you!  
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 07:39:37 (permalink)
That is my style of pizza...would love to make it there one day! 
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 09:18:51 (permalink)
W O O T
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1