Hot!Raising Arizona

Page: << < ..1112 > Showing page 11 of 12
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 09:47:39 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Growing up, both of us loved our Kentucky born grandmothers string beans, which were full of big hunks of potatoes.  So, we could not resist ordering the string beans and red potatoes side dish,

which had a decided Cajun spice to it.  The only complaint about this is the size portion was too small.  Otherwise, an excellent dish.
I've never seen green beans and potatoes together like this before.  Is it extremely regional or more generally spread across the south?

buffetbuster

To drink, both Johnny and I chose a soda I had never seen before, Bubble Up.

It tasted mostly like a Sprite, although it is made by the people who brought us Dad's Root Beer.
No Rainbow Stew alongside?
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 10:59:09 (permalink)
Another great report. Thanks for all the work putting it together and sharing.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 11:56:24 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

buffetbuster

Growing up, both of us loved our Kentucky born grandmothers string beans, which were full of big hunks of potatoes.  So, we could not resist ordering the string beans and red potatoes side dish,

which had a decided Cajun spice to it.  The only complaint about this is the size portion was too small.  Otherwise, an excellent dish.
I've never seen green beans and potatoes together like this before.  Is it extremely regional or more generally spread across the south?

buffetbuster

To drink, both Johnny and I chose a soda I had never seen before, Bubble Up.

It tasted mostly like a Sprite, although it is made by the people who brought us Dad's Root Beer.
No Rainbow Stew alongside?

I am extremely late getting into this thread but should say first of all what a great report it is.  Very nice write-up and pictures.

I did want to comment about the potatoes and green beans cooked together.  Growing up in eastern NC, we often had them together, cooked in ham "pot liquor" or with bacon, either one for seasoning.  They are called "snaps and potatoes," with the "snap" referring to snap beans.  I don't see them in the north now and so assume them to be a southern specialty.  What is interesting is that years ago I was working on a job near Milton and Janesville, Wi and actually found a restaurant in Milton that served green beans and potatoes together like this.  I don't remember the name because I was there in the Mesozoic age when cell phones and digital cameras either didn't exist or were too rare for the common business traveler.  Anyway, the snaps and potatoes do look good.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1097
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 11:58:58 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

buffetbuster

You need to try this.  It was a summer staple in Ohio and Indiana growing up.  Go to the farmers market when the beans come up and get some good potatoes and a ham hock.  Throw everything in a big pot with some onion and just let it simmer away for hours. 

I think it is actually bettter the second day.
post edited by hatteras04 - 2014/04/08 12:00:22
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/08 12:34:49 (permalink)
Had this potatoes/green bean combo many times growing up in Cincinnati/NKy

any kind of potatoes are used - not just the little red ones - and in my experience they usually werent the little red ones

Usually there are also some chopped onion and either smoked sausage, cottage ham, or bacon in the same pot....a one pot meal
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/04/08 12:36:46
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10412
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 07:42:37 (permalink)
That is really interesting that the string beans with potatoes is more of an Ohio/Kentucky thing than exclusively a Southern thing.  My grandmother was born and raised near Hazard in coal mining country and her cooking was definitely Southern.   Her version had a strong porky flavor to it and I could have eaten bowl after bowl of it.  This may have been the first time I had seen it in a restaurant.

And I agree with hatteras04, it was even better the second day. 

Thanks mikeam!  I always appreciate your kind words. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/09 07:45:19
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 08:13:08 (permalink)
I rarely prepare my green beans out of the garden without potatoes, chicken stock, onions, jalapeno and smoked hog jowl.  Most of the time I use the crock pot.  I did not realize until I traveled that they were prepared any other way.  Mamaw Smith had always made them the exact way I do. 

Incidentally BB, I really enjoyed your travel and food writes.  I have spent a lot of time in Tucson and Phoenix and traveled the rest of the state extensively

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 08:19:02 (permalink)
In all the travels Johnny and I have done together, he has mostly missed the Upper Midwest.  Which means he has never had the chance to sample my favorite pie, sour cream raisin.  He had a few crappy versions in Montana and western South Dakota before, but never the good stuff.  So, when I asked him if he wanted to drive over to Fran's Place for a slice, he jumped at the chance.  And Foodbme was happy to join us and even lead the way.

Fran was busy on this day, so we never had a chance to really chat with her much, but that didn't detract from our pie eating.  Foodbme got the pecan,

which he seemed to enjoy and maybe he will chime in and tell us more about it.  Johnny and I split a slice of sour cream raisin

and a slice of coconut cream. 

The coconut cream had a very thin, flaky crust and was not overly sweet, which we liked.  The sour cream raisin was every bit as good as the one I enjoyed the previous weekend and maybe was even a little better because it hadn't just come out of the oven.  While enjoying it, Johnny told me now he understands why I make a fuss over this unusual flavor.  

While waiting for the pies, Johnny did also enjoy the half hot shot I ate before and he agreed that anything would taste great covered with that gravy.

After three straight food stops, it was time to do some sightseeing.  We said goodbye to Foodbme, but not before making plans for breakfast together the next morning.  

Our destination was Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home in Scottsdale, Taliesin West.  With this being a Saturday, there was a big crowd of mostly snowbirds, so after we bought our ticket, we did have a wait until our tour started.  Unfortunately, no photos are allowed inside any of the building and there are even some outdoor places with no photography.  So, my pics won't be able to show too much.

The tour guide was a retired teacher who was a natural speaker and really knew her stuff.  She made the tour very enjoyable.  

At the very first building we entered, we sat down and she gave us the background info on the house and Mr. Wright and his family.  I had known before that Mr. Wright had offered to design a new state capitol building for the state of Arizona,

but this is the first time I had ever seen what it would look like.  What a shame they didn't take him up on it.  Here are some of the photos, including some of the art on the grounds.

Taliesin West is still very much a school and has students staying here.  We spent a couple of very enjoyable hours touring the place and I highly recommend it if you are visiting the Phoenix area.

We were running out of time on this trip, but we still had a couple more restaurants to visit.     
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/09 12:15:07
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 12:11:08 (permalink)
Those pictures are gorgeous! I'm very envious of anyone who goes to anything design by FLW (though believe it or not, my brother lives right across the road from a FLW-designed house in Cherry Hill, NJ). Both the sour cream & raisin and pecan pies look outrageous! I have an easy case to make for going back to AZ, I believe. It's only been since 1984...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 12:34:24 (permalink)
Thanks Harriet!  I hope you get back to Arizona real soon.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 13:41:43 (permalink)
Like Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles, Fry Bread House had moved since my previous visit to Phoenix.  Business must be booming for them, because the new place

is easily four times the old one.  It is so big, I had to stand out in the middle of the street to get a photo of the entire building.  Love these little Native American designs and colors

they added.  The interior is spacious,

with plenty of room between tables and booths.  Off to the side is one room

with Native American art and other goods for sale.

You order at the counter in the front, which had some excellent tip jars 

to decide from.  We tipped the 99 Problems jar.  There are three menu boards,

which shows what a big menu they have here.

Johnny tried to order some tamales, but they didn't have any on this day.  Knowing we would be hitting another place immediately afterwards, we didn't want to overdo it.  The posole

had smallish chunks of tender pork, cilantro, onions and  corn hominy in a vividly spicy red broth.  Even better was the green chile beef taco. 

Now, I have heard of a burger diaper before,

but this is the first time I had seen an Indian taco diaper.  The green chile was borderline too hot for me, but also very flavorful and was a real pleasure to eat.  The highlight, though, is the chewy, airy fry bread.  This made me imagine how good this fry bread would be with just being drizzled with honey.  Someday, I will find out for sure!  Both items we ate were terrific!

One of the things we really liked about Fry Bread House was that there were several Native American families dining in, which is always a good sign.  The only complaint we have is that there were quite a few tables that still had trays and food laying around that needed cleaned up.  Other than that, they obviously have a good thing going on and we wish them continued success.

Fry Bread House
1003 E. Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ
602-351-2345

Not too far down the road was dinner destination number two, Smoke Dem Bones

This is currently reviewed on Roadfood at their previous name, Stacy's Pit Stop BBQ, but now goes by Smoke Dem Bones.  Stacy is the force behind this restaurant and is one of the best known pitmasters in the Phoenix area.  Unfortunately, he was not here while we were dining, but we still received excellent friendly service from his staff.  The menu,

although seeing this

makes me wonder how we did not order the pork bbq waffles!

When it comes to bbq, Johnny is more of a ribs guy and ordered half a slab. 

They come presauced and the meat easily came away from the bone, but there wasn't much of a smoky flavor.  The excellent roll that came on the side was wonderfully soft and great for soaking up excess bbq sauce.  I went with the pork bbq,

that had some crunchy bark mixed in and I really enjoyed it.  The sauce is thick, sweet and sticky.  Johnny liked the mac and cheese much more than I did.  I thought it reminded me too much of Kraft mac and cheese, while he thought it was very creamy and like the pimentos mixed in.  

The inside of Smoke Dem Bones had some odd lighting that made photo taking challenging.  I might have set a new record for most blurry photos taken at one restaurant.  Not shown because the photos didn't turn out was the hot links, which were thinly sliced, with gnarled crunchy edges.  This was my favorite thing at Smoke Dem Bones.  They offer both sweet and unsweet tea, served in nice mason jars.

Thanks to Marvin Nakashima, a regular on the Fall bus tours for reviewing Smoke Dem Bones for Roadfood.

Smoke Dem Bones
1650 E. Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ
602-266-2000

It was now dark out, so we headed back to the hotel for the night, taking time to pack for our morning flights.            
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 16:44:10 (permalink)
After our Bianco Pizzeria adventure, BB invited me to join them at Fran's Place for pie.
The name didn't ring a bell but when we approached the place I had an "Ah Ha" flashback! 
I'd been there for Breakfast several times before but didn't remember the name! (A recurring problem these days).
This place is a Mesa AZ institution.
ALL the food here is outstanding but I'd never had their pies before. Pecan Pie is my favorite so that's what I ordered and it was one of the best ones I've ever had. (See BB's picture above.)
Now that I remember the place I'll be going back more often!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/frans-place-mesa
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/04/09 18:47:06
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 16:58:24 (permalink)
BB, Thank you for the great report.  It brought back many great memories of the two times that I "did Arizona".  I did spend more time in Arizona than you did and even stayed in Prescott.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2993
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 18:14:10 (permalink)
Great report bb...more mason jars...yes!  Love your 3 pie choices!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 19:06:04 (permalink)
Greymo
BB, Thank you for the great report.  It brought back many great memories of the two times that I "did Arizona".  I did spend more time in Arizona than you did and even stayed in Prescott.

Keep in mind that BB has made numerous trips to AZ and may qualify for membership in "The Loyal Order of Jackalopes"!

Perhaps he can also stay in the historic Hassayampa Inn in Prescott.
http://www.hassayampainn.com/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/09 19:44:16 (permalink)
Still missing a pic of Foodbme kickin' -n- screamin being dragged into Bianco's

I need closure :-)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 01:12:20 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Still missing a pic of Foodbme kickin' -n- screamin being dragged into Bianco's
I need closure :-)

Be careful what you wish for!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 08:18:37 (permalink)
Sunday February 23, 2014

Our flight was at 11:00AM, which gave us time for breakfast, but little else.  We didn't have a particular place in mind, but when Foodbme suggested Harlow's Café,

which was less than five minutes from our hotel and very close to the airport, we happily agreed.  That handsome devil is Jim peeking in the window, as we were waiting for the place to open their doors.

I believe Foodbme told us the restaurant is named after actress Jean Harlow, who passed away too young.  Not sure if she had any kind of connection with the Phoenix area, but the restaurant definitely has an old movie theme. 

I was particularly happy to see this poster,

since I am fond of the old Errol Flynn swashbuckling movies.  They also have one corner of the restaurant with nothing but small framed photos of regulars,

which is something I have seen more of in the last few years.

Unfortunately, I did not take notes of what exactly we ate, but Foodbme ordered the biscuits and gravy, along with a couple of sausage links. 

The biscuits

are made in house, pillowy soft, with just a little crunch to their top and are about the size of softballs!  Both Johnny and I ordered omelets,

but other than the asparagus sticking out of mine, I can't remember what was in them.  But, I can tell you the eggs were light, the omelets were huge and everybody was very satisfied with their food.  Thanks to Foodbme for the fine suggestion and once again, for the excellent company.

We said our goodbyes and Johnny and I headed straight to the airport and home.

Thanks to everyone who read the trip report!  We loved our time in Arizona and ate very well, especially while in Tucson.  But, the best part was just being out of the cold weather for a week or so.    
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7022
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 09:58:24 (permalink)
Bravo!!  Another outstanding trip report.  Thank you bb!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 10:14:35 (permalink)
Those biscuits and gravy look great!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 15:14:51 (permalink)
leethebard
Those biscuits and gravy look great!

It was very good.
Their Biscuits qualify for the "Biscuit Hall of Fame"!
They're big, light & fluffy.
It was a pleasure dining with "Da Boys from Da Burgh" and I enjoyed it very much.
I look forward to dining with other Roadfooders when youze come to The Valley.
Just send me a PM to let me know when youze will be here and let's get together. 
Incidentally, the cane and medical stuff in the picture is not permanent.
I had foot surgery at that time and am recovering nicely.
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/04/10 15:22:55
Rocky Enfield
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 16:02:45 (permalink)
Another incredible trip report.  Thanks BB your thorough reports and amazing pictures.  I always look forward to reading about your adventures.

Rocky

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1422
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 16:30:20 (permalink)
Sea Hawk is my favorite Errol Flynn movie. 
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/10 16:44:35 (permalink)
I love ALL of Errol Fynn's swashbucklers, but my favorites are the ones that co-star Olivia DeHavilland. 

The Adventures of Robin Hood is my all-time favorite, and if you ever have a chance to see the restored version on a big movie screen, do so.  You won't believe all the detail in the costumes and sets, and the three-strip Technicolor is sumptuous.. 

I love Captain Blood, too, but make sure you see the complete, restored version. The old version that many of us grew up watching on late night TV has many cuts in it.

Same with The Sea Hawk.  The restored version includes Flora Robson's stirring patriotic speech at the end, which was cut in the TV versions, and all the scenes in the jungle in Panama are tinted.

Errol Flynn and pie -- a perfect combination, BB
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/19 11:31:37 (permalink)
rumaki-
Just a few weeks ago I got to see Adventures of Robin Hood for the first time on the big screen.  It was everything you said it was!  Thanks for the information of the other great movies, too.  Captain Blood is my personal favorite.

Rocky Enfield-
Thanks so much for the kind words.  They are much appreciated!  BTW, I do plan on being in northern Indiana later this summer, so I hope you can join me for a burger at Heinnie's.

Foodbme-
Thanks again for all the hospitality and glad to hear the foot is healing up!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/19 11:59:53 (permalink)
A quick wrap up of the trip report.....

Best Breakfast - Teresa's Mosaic Café  (runner up - Bisbee Breakfast Club)
Best Dessert - Sour Cream Raisin Pie at Fran's Place (runner up - Pico de Gallo at Pico de Gallo)
Best Sonoran Dog - BK Carne Asada & Hot Dogs (runner up - El Guero Canelo)
Best Overall Restaurant - Little Café Poca Cosa (runner up - Miriscos Chihuahua)
Best Tourist Attraction - Grand Canyon National Park (runner up Taliesin West)

Once I get Johnny's choices, those will be added in.

Total miles driven - 1, 581.
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2455
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/19 12:36:52 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Best Dessert - Sour Cream Raisin Pie at Fran's Place (runner up - Pico de Gallo at Pico de Gallo)
Best Overall Restaurant - Little Café Poca Cosa (runner up - Miriscos Chihuahua)

Salsa for dessert....????????
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/19 12:41:42 (permalink)

Pico de Gallo at Pico de Gallo.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/19 13:59:17 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Kewl. I now have my dining list for my next trip to AZ!
dbldbl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/06/07 13:33:44 (permalink)
This has been my favorite thread so far! Am new to the RoadFood book + forums; I wish I had found this thread before travelin' thru Tucson last May! The pics and descriptions are great, making me deeply regret not searching and finding out about the hot dogs! I'll be looking forward to more of your adventures, buffetbuster!
Page: << < ..1112 > Showing page 11 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1