Hot!Raising Arizona

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Author
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 01:20:59 (permalink)
I love the murals, and your report, as always, is terrific but I sure wish I knew why that lady seems to be looking over her shoulder so warily. Maybe she wanted to know "Who're the gringos with the camera? or "I hope my hair is all right." Any ideas?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 02:36:29 (permalink)
EdSails
I am glad of two things-----that you had a great mariscos dinner----theose shrimp do look way past awesome!
I am also happy you stopped at Juice'n'Fruit so Dale could at least enjoy the pictures!
BTW, no ostiones (oysters) at Mariscos? I was looking forward to watching you know back a dozen or three!

Ed,
When you come to the Valley, there are about 30+ "Mariscos" restaurants here too.
I'm nor sure if they're connected to the ones in Tucson but the paint jobs on their buildings are very much the same.
Here's one that has everything from Sopa to Nutsa!
http://www.taqueriasinaloa.com/menu.html
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 18:11:59 (permalink)
Man, I really wish that RF had a like button. I'm really liking this trip report. Those bacon wrapped shrimp look great!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18954
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 18:37:46 (permalink)
You just hit the Like button.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 18:37:58 (permalink)
Foodbme

EdSails
I am glad of two things-----that you had a great mariscos dinner----theose shrimp do look way past awesome!
I am also happy you stopped at Juice'n'Fruit so Dale could at least enjoy the pictures!
BTW, no ostiones (oysters) at Mariscos? I was looking forward to watching you know back a dozen or three!

Ed,
When you come to the Valley, there are about 30+ "Mariscos" restaurants here too.
I'm nor sure if they're connected to the ones in Tucson but the paint jobs on their buildings are very much the same.
Here's one that has everything from Sopa to Nutsa!
http://www.taqueriasinaloa.com/menu.html

Their botana de Mixta Grande looks great! Thanks, foodbeme.
post edited by EdSails - 2014/03/05 22:30:14
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6431
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 19:22:07 (permalink)
Reports like this are convincing me next winter will be spent in Arizona.

BB, thanks for the rundown. I see Fran's Place serves a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It will be on my must go list. A Minnesotan to boot.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 20:46:44 (permalink)
Davydd
Reports like this are convincing me next winter will be spent in Arizona.
BB, thanks for the rundown. I see Fran's Place serves a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It will be on my must go list. A Minnesotan to boot.

You'll have plenty of your fellow Minnesotans to keep you company!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10518
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 22:31:22 (permalink)
Somedays, one visit to a Sonoran hot dog place just isn't enough.  And this was one of those days!  So, after long naps, we headed back out for a late night dinner at BK Carne Asada & Hot Dogs.  There are actually two BK's in the Tucson area.  One is a sit down restaurant near the university that seems a popular hangout for the students.  We went to the preferred location on 12th Avenue, with mostly outdoor seating at picnic tables and the primary language spoken is Spanish.

Even though it was 9:30ish, there was a long line with mostly families.  They do have a large menu,

but it has always been just hot dogs for me on previous visits.  This time with two eaters, this gave us a chance to sample more.  Johnny pointed out a sign on the ordering window

for an item that sounded similar to my fantastic entrée at Mariscos Chihuahua.  Knowing that it is impossible to have too much of a good thing, when that good thing is wrapped in bacon, we placed an order for that, too.  We were given a number and grabbed a seat, waiting for ours to be called out.

Most of the food is made in the kitchen of the restaurant, but the Sonoran dogs are made at a separate grill next to the dining area. 

All the numbers were being called in Spanish and Johnny and I were wondering if we would recognize ours when it was called.  Luckily for us, the young man calling out for the hot dogs walked over to our table and asked in English if we were #27.  We were and he handed us these beauties! 

These are very much like the ones we ate earlier in the day, in that they are encased in thick, bready, enclosed at the end buns and the wieners are bacon wrapped and topped with mayo, mustard, jalapeno sauce, pinto beans, tomatoes and onions.  The biggest difference is that these were a single wiener compared to the double dogs earlier.  Johnny seemed to prefer these, telling me that he especially liked the bun better.  Personally, I loved them both!

Apparently, they did call our number at some point and we missed it, since our food was sitting there to the side.  We did sample some pastor and carne asada tacos,

but they weren't anything special, even after we dressed them up with some sauces from the fixings bar. 

The toritos

however were another clear winner.  What's not to like about a pepper stuffed with cheese and ham and then wrapped in bacon?  The mozzarella cheese seemed like an odd choice, but it absolutely worked.  Maybe what impressed me most though was the fact that this was just a visually stunning piece of food.  Trust me, the photo doesn't do it justice.  To drink, we both ordered the pineapple agua fresca, which also had a strong flavor of coconut to it.  Somehow, I managed not to take a photo of it.

Earlier, I noticed all the wieners on the grill stacked up and thought it would make a great photo.  By the time I finished eating, they were now grilling peppers instead.

BK Carne Asada & Hot Dogs
5118 S. 12th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-295-0105

It was straight back to the hotel for us.  No doubt that this was one of the best days for Roadfood we have had in years of going on trips together.  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/05 22:35:49
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/05 23:04:11 (permalink)
What a great report!  Your trip reports always make me want to drop everything and hop the next plane to the places you visited.  Particularly interested in the hotdogs and the bacon wrapped, cheesey items!  And all the drinks seem so fruity and refreshing!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 07:12:30 (permalink)
What a day!!!  You guys did it up right!  Can't wait for your next day....bacon wrapped everything...love it!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 07:15:18 (permalink)
ww4b-
That is a good way to describe the beverages.  In so many restaurants, what you drink is rather boring (I prefer iced tea), that I often don't even bother mentioning it in these reports.  With the agua frescas in Tucson, it is a vital part of the meal. 

I am flying this afternoon for a weekend out of town, so this will probably be as far as I go until early next week.  Thanks to everyone for reading and all the comments.  They are much appreciated.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/06 07:26:47
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5238
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 10:06:03 (permalink)
buffetbuster

By the time I finished eating, they were now grilling peppers instead.

I wonder what variety of pepper is used for toritos. I'll bet they'd be great on a charcoal grill although usually the combination of pepper, filling, and bacon starts with a raw pepper and not one that's been grilled.

Were the toritos also cooked on the flattop? 'Cause I'm thinking that since the pepper was already cooked they'd be perfect candidates for the fryer...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 10:07:06 (permalink)
Maybe these will be minced for some type of sauce or condiment?
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2465
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 10:19:00 (permalink)
Those look like the peppers that accompany the Sonoran hot dogs.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 11:51:47 (permalink)
The stems remind me of jalapeno???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/06 11:59:07 (permalink)
I think you're right Paul, here's a photo of yellow jalapeños. 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 15:02:03 (permalink)
billyboy

Bill is correct, they were grilling the peppers that come with the hot dogs. 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 15:18:30 (permalink)
buffetbuster

billyboy

Was there a prize?

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 15:36:50 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster

billyboy

Was there a prize?

Of course there is....

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 15:46:45 (permalink)
Sunday February 16, 2014

For breakfast, we drove downtown to La Indita

This place was also written up in the 500 Things To Eat book, specifically for their carne seca.

Walking in, there was only one other customer, a man eating by himself in the seat next to the window.  The rest of the restaurant was fairly dark, which made taking photos more difficult.  The place is attractive, with what looked like beautifully painted ceiling tiles

and one large mural

on the wall. 

The chips and salsa were a mixed bag. 

The chips were a little greasier than we prefer, but the salsa, with plenty of cilantro were quite good.

The breakfast menu

offered some really interesting choices.  Johnny went with #2, the chilaquiles and eggs.  

He said he was expecting it to be something more on the lines of migas, but he did still like it.  The red chile sauce was thick, but mild.  The tortillas

were some of the biggest we had ever seen.  Unfortunately, due to the spongy texture, they were much better at absorbing the sauce, than than mopping it up.  

I choose the carne seca omelet. 

Even though the menu calls carne seca dry beef, that isn't referring to the flavor, as we found the shredded meat to be juicy and flavorful.  The omelet was quite big, with an abundance of cheese and made for a large meal all by itself.  To drink, I had a wonderful, sweet tamarindo!

La Indita
622 N. 4th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-704-9240

Since we were downtown, we decided to do some exploring..... 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 17:10:57 (permalink)
buffetbuster

billyboy

If you scroll back in post #98, it shows pictures of the Sonoran Dogs being served with the peppers.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 18:42:28 (permalink)
I am particularly fond of the Pima County Courthouse,

built in 1929.  As you will see later on, it is much more attractive the real Arizona State Capitol building.  Anyway, we parked nearby and walked around the area, which has interesting fountains and statues.

It wasn't too long until we were ready to eat again, so next up was another Tucson favorite and Roadfood gem, Taqueria Pico de Gallo

This bright yellow restaurant is located in the small Hispanic city of South Tucson, which has now been completely surrounded by the big city of Tucson.  Some of the colorful interior decorating:

Johnny is a huge fan of fish tacos, a love he gained from several visits to our favorite city, San Diego.  Unfortunately, no fish tacos listed on the menu board,

so we were more than a little disappointed.  So we settled on a variety of different tacos and Johnny headed off to use the facilities.  Luckily, just as I started ordering, I spotted a piece of paper on this wall in an out of the way spot, advertising their fish and shrimp tacos special. 

We can so close to missing out, which would have been a real shame, because these

are some real beauties!  Not sure what kind of fish they use (we assumed mahi-mahi, but didn't ask), but it has a thick, delicious breading that has a slight sweetness to it.  And the corn tortilla itself was something special.  Topped with fresh tomatoes, lettuce and that luscious cream, this was one of our favorite things on the trip!  Johnny ate the two fish tacos, while I had the shrimp taco.  And don't ignore those wonderful pickled carrots and strong onions.

The beef tamale

was denser than what we had earlier at Tucson Tamale Company and not as moist, but was still enjoyable.  An interior view

shows some lengths of potato.

The most famous item they offer here is the pico de gallo,

a red plastic cup full of fruit, covered in lemon, salt and chili powder.  I assumed the white fruit would be coconut, but it turned out to be jicama, which had the crispness and texture of an apple.  The other fruits were mango, pineapple and cucumber.  Undoubtedly, it sounds strange to cover fruit with these toppings, but they, especially the chili powder really draws out the flavor of the fruits.  This was fantastic!

Finally, to drink, an excellent, super strong lemonade,

while Johnny drank the horchata.  This drink, buoyed by flecks of cinnamon, was richer and more intense than any other horchata on the trip.

Taqueria Pico de Gallo was on the short list of the best restaurants of the trip.

Taqueria Pico de Gallo
2618 S. 6th Avenue
South Tucson, AZ
520-623-8775

There is a small building across the parking lot that looks like it sells paletas and other desserts, but I have never seen this place open.  No idea if it is still in business.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 20:37:11 (permalink)
Very interesting to see the jicama/fruit sticks called pico de gallo. I had always though pico de gallo was strictly a rough-chopped fresh salsa. However, after looking it up, seems that parts of Mexico use the term for fruit salads too. Thanks for teaching me something new, Cliff!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 20:44:14 (permalink)
Ed-
Before going to this restaurant, I thought the very same thing.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 21:16:00 (permalink)
BEE

AHN

CO
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 21:34:12 (permalink)
Good news TJ!  At the current pace, I should be able to get to our visit to Pizzeria Bianco sometime in early May!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 21:47:04 (permalink)
*laff*

tide me over with a picture of you and Johnny dragging Foodbme into the place
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/12 23:18:18 (permalink)
Cant wait to visit Tuscon again.. Awesome.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1492
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/13 00:02:01 (permalink)
EdSails

Very interesting to see the jicama/fruit sticks called pico de gallo. I had always though pico de gallo was strictly a rough-chopped fresh salsa. However, after looking it up, seems that parts of Mexico use the term for fruit salads too. Thanks for teaching me something new, Cliff!

Ditto!  This version looks like a lot of fun.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/13 02:15:56 (permalink)
EdSails

You can buy the seasoning that you see on BB's pico de gallo at many stores in the West & Southwest, especially in the Hispanic grocery stores or from this web site. It's called Tajin. The basic one is Clasico. 
 http://www.tajin.com/en-us/
I was surprised at the unique taste it gives to fruit. Can also be used on other foods too.
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/03/13 02:25:59
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1