Hot!Raising Arizona

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1484
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 00:28:07 (permalink)
!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10481
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 09:21:30 (permalink)
Bisbee is a lovely small town,

nestled between some high hills, with a definite arts community feel.  We parked the car and set out to explore on foot.  I especially like this photo

looking up the main street through town, since those guys just look like the type of people you would see in Bisbee, Arizona.  When we stopped at the overlook,

we caught a painter in action.

There was one other Roadfood reviewed place in town we wanted to check out and that is Old Bisbee Roasters.  When we walked into this small coffee shop, the man told us that they were actually closed for the day, but they are selling coffee at a table set up in an alleyway in the center of town.  Before leaving, I got a photo of the what I assume is the roaster

in action.

We did have a little trouble finding the stand, but located it down Peddler's Alley. 

Apparently there are restaurants further down in the alley, but Old Bisbee Roasters

was the only one open on this morning.  They were actually giving away free espressos, hoping that people would buy the bags of coffee.  I am not a coffee drinker at all, while Johnny is strictly a one cup and that's it every morning guy.  So, we weren't exactly in our element here.  And these espressos

was incredibly strong.  Johnny diluted his with some cream and sugar, while I drank it straight.  Ooh wee, was that strong!

The guy who was running the stand was a really nice guy and we enjoyed chatting with him for a good 20 minutes or so.  Wanting to support small businesses, especially Roadfood businesses, we both bought a bag of coffee to take home with us. 

I bought the one from New Guinea, which the salesman described as full bodied, while Johnny chose the medium roast from Mexico, which is what the espressos we drank were from.  The man who owns Old Bisbee Roasters is Seth Appell, who the Stern's described as a "red-dreadlocked muscle man", but he was not around, so we didn't get to meet him.  But, the man who waited on us had some good stories about Seth and relayed how much he enjoyed working for him.  He described him in a playful manner as the "hardest working freak in Bisbee". 

Old Bisbee Roasters does quite most of their business by mail order if you are interested. 

Old Bisbee Roasters
7 Naco Road
Bisbee, AZ
866-432-5063

Just a short distance north of Bisbee is the historic town of Tombstone,

best known as the location for the gun fight at the O.K. Corral.  The town is nice enough to look at,

but is incredibly touristy.  Hoping to at least see a reenactment of the famous gunfight, we heard them announce that while the gunfight is not historically accurate, it is fun.  We looked at each and changed our minds about seeing it.  The only thing I can say that I liked about Tombstone was this sign,

which made me laugh. 

Just to be clear, I'm saying other people shouldn't go here, because they might very well enjoy it, but it just wasn't for us.

To make up for this disappointment, we stopped and got ice cream at a little place we passed earlier in the day in Benson.  Old Benson ice Cream Shop is a cute little place

right on the main drag through town.  The service was extremely friendly and they offer 60 different types of soft serve,

which is something you don't see everyday.   Johnny went with a vanilla cone

dipped in butterscotch sauce.  He liked the vanilla, but said the butterscotch was very artificial tasting.  Mine was the peppermint ice cream

with chocolate sauce and it was just okay.  Old Benson Ice Cream does also sell hard ice cream, which was Blue Bell brand.

Old Benson Ice Cream Stop
102 W. 4th Street
Benson, AZ
520-586-2050

We continued our drive back to Tucson, with one more big stop to make.....  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/20 09:26:29
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 10:20:55 (permalink)
BB:  I agree with you.  Personally I thought Tombstone show was boring.  Just a act and so artificial.  However the area was interesting.  Did you drive down to Mexico?  Roz and I sorta enjoyed that walking around.  We finally found a bar that had air conditioning, had a cold beer with some nice chips, salsa and very good tamales.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 10:36:28 (permalink)
Paul-
We did not drive into Mexico.  There was still too much we wanted to do back in Tucson and on the way there.  And artificial is a good word to describe how we felt about Tombstone.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/20 10:51:52
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 10:42:24 (permalink)
"...the hardest working freak in Bisbee!" - A new standard has been set!!! 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 10:58:00 (permalink)
I find southern Arizona a very strange place.  I have spent many days and trips there.  I have driven all of Arizona north to south and east to west and many points in between.  Personally I would not want to reside in the dry southern part of the state.  Eventually it is gonna run out of water.  It is pretty and very good birding and has a very interesting history but personally it is not for me.  I prefer the moisture of East TN.

Regardless, the food opportunities there are double outstanding.  The influence of the Hispanic population has certainly made a major difference it choices.  I enjoyed it all in Tucson and Phoenix.  I still have a pic with my brother, his wife, Jill and my deceased wife Judi in Nogales at the Caverns which is now closed.  Great food but that is history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O03FpmfJY6s

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 11:44:48 (permalink)
Saguaro National Park

is divided into two districts.  On the west side of Tucson is the Tucson Mountain District, which I have visited several times in the past.  This would be my first visit to the Rincon Mountain District, which lies north and to the east of the city.  We were surprised by just how close the city has grown out to the national park.

Named after the saguaro cactus which are plentiful here, we mostly drove through the park, with very little hiking, since it was a very warm day.  The desert, mountains and flora made for some beautiful scenery

and it was easy to spot all of the saguaro cactus as far as the eye could see. 

This was a very enjoyable couple of hours driving through the park.

Once back in Tucson, we had a hankering for some more Sonoran hot dogs, since it had been almost two whole days since we had one.  Unacceptable!  We made our way to the corner of Oklahoma and 12th Avenue to visit a favorite, El Sinaloense 3, a truck set up in an empty lot.  When we got there, a truck was there and it sure looked like the same set up, but this one had a new name, Los Chipilones

While disappointed the other place was gone, this place still made Sonoran dogs and that was all we needed to know.

They have a tent set up to keep customers out of the hot Arizona sun,

which is greatly appreciated.  I walked over to the young guy and asked for two Sonoran dogs and helped myself to two Mexican cokes

out of the coolers.

The young man was working by himself, taking orders, making the food, cashing people out and he was really hustling.  I really like to see people, especially young people working hard and I gave him a big tip when he brought our hot dogs over to us.  These dogs

were skinnier than others we had already eaten, but we were both fans of the toasted bun, which added another level of deliciousness.  The toppings on the dogs seem to be the same from one place to another, but I always enjoy seeing how they use them in different patterns.  One thing about the hot dogs here is that the bacon, which is wrapped around the wiener, was not as noticeable.  Still, an excellent Sonoran dog!

While taking photos of the hot dogs, I heard the young man yelling something over at me.  It took me a minute to realize he was yelling Facebook, thinking I was going to put the photos on there.  His English was very limited and my Spanish even worse, so when I tried to ask him what happened to El Sinaloense 3, we didn't understand each other.  Oh well, this dirt lot still has a quality Sonoran dog truck.  There is another hot dog truck set up across the street and just a few blocks further down 12th Avenue, we saw another cart set up with the name El Sinaloense 4.

Los Chipilones
Corner of Oklahoma and 12th Avenue
Tucson, AZ

And the only proper way to follow a couple Sonoran dogs is with yet another raspados.  This time, we went to where Juice 'N Fruit used to be before they moved.  The name of the place is now Sonoran Sno-Cones. 

They also have another name on their sign, Raspados de Frutas, but I asked and Sonoran Sno-Cones is their official name.

The people here were very friendly and helpful and not wanting to get canned fruit again, I asked which fruits were they had fresh.  The young guy told us that at this time of year, only the mango and the strawberry.  Well, that makes it easy, so Johnny went mango

and I went strawberry. 

Very enjoyable, but this one had more ice and less ice cream than at Juice 'N Fruit.  We did appreciate that they gave the names of the flavors 

in both English and Spanish.

It had been a long day, since we had gotten up so early.  Johnny took a nap, while I played around on my laptop.  In my mind, once Johnny got up, we would have another late dinner, either at Mi Indito or El Charro.  But, obviously needing his sleep, Johnny didn't wake up until around 10:30.  Truthfully, I could have gone out on my own if I wanted to bad enough, but spending a relaxing night in the hotel felt pretty good for me, too.            
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2320
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 11:51:46 (permalink)
Paul,
   I didn't know The Caverna was closed.  What a shame.  They served the finest plate of sea scallops I have ever found.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 11:58:35 (permalink)
North and east of Phoenix. I saw some saguaro cactus that I estimated was above 50 Feet tall.  enormous and beautiful.  I saw them one spring blooming.  Great pics.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 12:11:43 (permalink)
My daughter in Scottsdale has a saguaro skeleton in her living room.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7290
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 12:14:50 (permalink)
Truly beautiful pictures of Saguaro National Park!!!
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 14:15:27 (permalink)
I thought that the Boothill Graveyard in Tombstone was pretty interesting with the graves of those killed at the O.K. Corral, outlaws, and other Old West characters. And of course the grave:
“Here lies Lester Moore,
Four slugs from a .44,
No Les, no more.”

The town wasn’t that that memorable, but the graveyard was.
post edited by Southern Fried - 2014/03/20 14:16:34
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 16:42:22 (permalink)
bb - Did you stop for pistachios at a roadside place while down to Tombstone? They sell flavored varieties that are fantastic.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 16:44:33 (permalink)
JRPfeff-
No, I don't even remember seeing a roadside place selling pistachios.  Had we seen it, we most likely would have stopped in.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 17:07:42 (permalink)
Tuesday April 18, 2014

This was going to be our final day in Tucson, so we needed to make the most of it.  Our first stop of the day was at Los Jarritos,

a place I visited a few years ago and came away unimpressed.  They are well known for their green corn tamales and with Johnny being a big tamale fan, I thought it would be a good idea to give them another shot.

The inside is fairly small, with only one table, but most people get their food to go.  The couple who was eating inside had some really interesting looking soups, which reminded me that I had seen that previously, to.  That made me think that much more of this menu

needs explored, but this would not be that day.  We just asked for green corn tamales, which they have bagged by the half dozen,

sitting in a basket right by the register.  As we were walking out the door, a Spanish speaking customer was telling me he liked my Pittsburgh Pirates t-shirt.

Because it was such a pleasant morning, we decided to eat at the table out front.  I went back in and asked for paper plates and napkins, which they were happy to provide.  As we were unwrapping the tamales from the husks,

the aroma of the corn was unmistakable, which really got our appetites going.  The idea was to only eat one, since we had a bigger breakfast planned as our next stop, but these tamales

were so moist, with just the right amount of sweetness, that we couldn't stop eating.  We both polished off three in no time at all.

I thought these were clearly the best tamales of the trip, while Johnny still ranked them right behind the ones from Tucson Tamale Company.  Regardless, we were off to a great start this day.

Los Jarritos
4832 S. 12th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-746-0364       
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/20 18:58:46 (permalink)
Funny...you don't even see the soup on the menu...maybe part of the secret menu!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 08:49:04 (permalink)
CTD-
While the photo shows the main menu board at Los Jarritos, it is one of those places that has pieces of paper with menu items posted all over the place.  One of those soups being eaten was clearly menudo, but not really sure what the other one was. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 09:25:05 (permalink)
The main breakfast this morning would be at one of my Tucson favorites, Gus Balon's

This wonderful place has the feel somewhere between a diner and a California coffee shop, like Du-Par's.  All meals here start with the excellent sweet roll,

which is so big, it comes with a steak knife plunged inside.  That is completely unnecessary, since it is so soft that you can tear it apart easily with your hands.  Of course, that would make you hands very gooey, because there is plenty of cinnamon and icing encasing it.  We used our forks.

My usual breakfast item here is the breakfast burger, but it is also very filling.  So, I chose the French toast. 

Instead of being eggy, these were thinner, dense and made with the bread they make here.  Johnny surmised it must have had a very quick dunk in the egg mixture.  He went simple with the crispy bacon and fried perfectly medium eggs.

Gus Balon's also makes their own pies

and though they aren't spectacular, they are consistently very good.  Our waitress informed us that some weren't out of the oven yet, while others (we asked about the peach crumb) just came out, but it was too soon to cut.  That left us with a limited selection, be we managed to make do.  Johnny chose well with the butterscotch,

with fresh whipped topping and a very thin, flaky crust.  This was a very sweet pie, but did not taste artificial like so many butterscotch pies.  My raspberry double crust,

with the crust being softer, was another winner.

The wait staff at Gus Balon's seems to be getting younger.  On earlier visits, it was mostly older women who have worked here for years and have a little bit of sass.  In other words, just my kind of service.  The young lady, with the heavy purple eye shadow, still took great care of us.  She told us that even though it isn't listed on the pie menu board, pecan pie was her favorite.

On that back wall,

they used to have a giant pie mural, but it has been painted over with the new saying.  I liked it better before.

Gus Balon's
6027 E. 22nd Street
Tucson, AZ
520-747-7788

Since we were now about halfway through the trip, we thought this would be a good time to do laundry.  We found a place called Coyote Wash not too far away.  This place was spotlessly clean, had free Wi-Fi and we were able to get in and out in less than two hours.  In the years of us going to laundrymats in other cities, this one was the best.

By now, our appetites had returned, which was a good thing, since our next meal was clearly the best of the entire trip.....          
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 09:38:17 (permalink)
buffetbuster -
Thanks for the soup update!
Love the breakfast stop...is the breakfast burger a "hamburger" or is it something like a burger and eggs and a roll?  Curious...both of your choices seem rather straight up, wondering if there was some unusual choices available?
I share many Roadfooder's thoughts regarding your clean laundry...nothing worse than 1 pair of underwear on a 10 day trip! 
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2320
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 09:54:30 (permalink)
Did you get a topolo salad at El Charro?
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 11:19:33 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster -
Love the breakfast stop...is the breakfast burger a "hamburger" or is it something like a burger and eggs and a roll?

There's a good picture of it in the review section. Now I want one.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10355
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 12:59:04 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
My daughter in Scottsdale has a saguaro skeleton in her living room.

Most people keep their skeleton's in the closet!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 13:37:27 (permalink)
I think I remember there being a closet near the skeleton.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 13:45:56 (permalink)
hatteras04

ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster -
Love the breakfast stop...is the breakfast burger a "hamburger" or is it something like a burger and eggs and a roll?

There's a good picture of it in the review section. Now I want one.

hatteras -
Thanks for the tip...it was a good picture and my question is answered! 

Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 16:43:59 (permalink)
Thanks for another great trip report.

I've been to the same Mariscos Chihuahua and had the Cameron Relleno as well.  They are very good but adding in the fries, a salty meal.
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1484
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 18:09:57 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster -
Love the breakfast stop...is the breakfast burger a "hamburger" or is it something like a burger and eggs and a roll?  Curious...both of your choices seem rather straight up, wondering if there was some unusual choices available?
I share many Roadfooder's thoughts regarding your clean laundry...nothing worse than 1 pair of underwear on a 10 day trip! 

I stopped at Gus Balon's in 2011 and loved the breakfast burger, which has a big sausage patty for the burger.  Mmmmm.  It also had bacon, egg, and cheese on it, and the bun was made in house and grilled.  Really an outstanding breakfast sandwich!!  Here's my pic of one:

post edited by love2bake - 2014/03/22 22:12:22
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 18:24:09 (permalink)
love2bake

ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster -

I stopped at Gus Balon's in 2011 and loved the breakfast burger, which has a big sausage patty for the burger.  Mmmmm.  It also had bacon and cheese on it, and the bun was made in house and grilled.  Really an outstanding breakfast sandwich!!  Here's my pic of one:

That looks so good...could be a signature dish if you ever choose to open a restaurant! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 19:57:06 (permalink)
Thanks to love2bake for posting the photo and describing the breakfast sandwich.  Here is one I enjoyed in 2010. 

The ingredients combine well, but the highlight is definitely the grilled roll.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 19:59:34 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

Did you get a topolo salad at El Charro?

We never did make it to El Charro on this trip.  I have been there twice before, but never had the topopo salad.  What did I miss?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10355
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/22 20:00:29 (permalink)
The Breakfast Burger! A heart attack in a bun but if ya gotta go, that's the way to do it!
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1