Hot!Raising Arizona

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 12
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/30 23:25:11 (permalink)
Wednesday February 19, 2014

It seems on every vacation, there is one day that will be mostly driving.  This would be that day for this trip.  We left our hotel around 5:00AM, because we had so much to do.  Heading north towards the Petrified Forest, we pulled over to take a few photos of the sunrise over the hills

and a nice canyon scene.

Our first stop was four hours into the trip for breakfast at Trapper's Café

in the small town of Taylor.  When we walked in, there was only one other booth being used and it was four obvious locals sitting around sipping coffee.  All of the seats in the front room are small booths,

but there are both tables and booths in the back dining room, which was empty.  Since they have the house slogan, "A Taste of the Old West", it is no surprise that Western art

decorated the walls.

We did get some odd looks, since I don't think too many tourists wander into this place, but the waitress was friendly and took good care of us.  They won me over when they sat to a carafe of water

at our table.  Johnny got the single portion of the biscuits and gravy. 

The biscuits were pillowy soft, while the gravy was creamy and thick, without being gloppy.  A good start to our meal.  My order was something that I still don't quite fully understand.  I got the cured breakfast chop

with eggs.  Notice how they don't call it ham? 

Or pork for that matter?  But, having never heard of a ham chop before, I was somewhat confused.  After I returned home, I called the restaurant to clarify the dish.  They insisted to me that this is pork, not ham.  But, I have never heard of a ham chop before.  And doesn't the fact that it is cured make this ham?  Anyway, it sure looked like ham, with a wonderful smoky flavor.  Whatever it was, it was thick and delicious!  Johnny ate his portion of the pork ham mystery meat between two slices of really good toast.

The hashbrowns could have been crispier, but top them off with a little gravy and they were much better.

Despite the fact that it was only 9:00AM, they did make us a burger, although the waitress had to check with the kitchen first.  And of course, the cook had to peer through the window at us.  It was Johnny's great idea to get a bacon cheeseburger. 

The meat was loosely packed, a little salty and clearly made from fresh ground meat, a fact we confirmed with the young cook when he came out of the kitchen to complain about being sore from playing volleyball the night before.

Now that we got breakfast out of the way, we can get down to the real reason we were here:  pies!  Here is the menu with the list. 

Our waitress told us that they come in and start the pies as early as 2:00AM!

Inspired by the ChiTownDiner, we took a photo of the pie trio. 

First up was the apricot

with a lattice-like (actually it was just holes in the top) crust.  The sweet fruit filling was fine, but the buttery, flaky crust was the true star.  Next up was Johnny's choice, the lemon cream pie. 

This actually had five distinct layers.  Working from the bottom, a thin layer of crust, a tart lemon custard, a surprisingly heavy layer of cream cheese, sweet lemon pudding and real whipped topping.  This was a big hit with both of us.  Finally, the banana cream,
[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/JCStrutz/media/Roadfood16/IMG_1021_zps2d42ff63.jpg.html][/URL
with an impressive layer of fresh cut up banana slices at the bottom.  These were outstanding pies!

Trapper's Café
9 North Main Street
Taylor, AZ
928-536-7758

Well fed, we got back in the car and continued north.   
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/31 06:27:45
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10080
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 03:30:29 (permalink)
As BB showed, the Sunrises & Sunsets during the Spring and late Fall out here are beautiful!. I think it has something to do with the tilt of the earth at that time of the year. If you're out of the metro areas, they're very crisp & clear. Reason # 78 to live in AZ. 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 06:28:52 (permalink)
Pie trios are definitely the way to go...they form a nice support group for each other...until you eat 'em!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 08:29:47 (permalink)
Our first stop after entering Petrified Forest National Park,

was the visitor center, where they had some really cool exhibits, including one of the dinosaurs

who used to roam this area.  Behind the building was a walkway that led into an area with an impressive amount of the petrified wood.

The only time I had seen this before was on the grounds of the state capitol in Phoenix, but it is much better seeing it here.  I found this fascinating.  They are very strict about making sure you stay on the path, so not to disturb the wood.  And there are signs all over the place reminding you it is illegal to take any of the wood with you as a souvenir.  We did stop at several other places throughout the park, but the visitor center was the best place to get photographs.

Petrified Forest National Park runs right into the Painted Desert. 

With the beautiful colors, it is easy to see why it received it's name.  This is certainly a time when the photographs don't live up to the beauty of the area.  We were very happy with the time we had to spend here.

Our lunch destination was Joe & Aggie's Café

in the nearby city of Holbrook.  After all of the great food we have had on the trip, we were due for a clunker and boy did we get one here.  Located right on Route 66, with a great mural on the side of the building,

I really wanted to like this place.  But, we got off to a bad start as soon as we walked in the door.  There were no customers when we walked in and the waitress was clearly perturbed to see us.  Once resigned to waiting on us, she wasn't unpleasant, but she would have much rather been doing something else.

The chips were straight out of a bag

and they did not come with salsa.  Instead, there was a squeeze bottle of a tepid red liquid.  Not good.  Johnny's meal came with a salad, which was sat down in front of him.  The waitress asked what dressing he wanted, but they didn't have his first choice, French.  She told him they have ranch or Thousand Island.  Johnny chose the latter and instead of sitting the dressing down on the table for him to use, she took the squeeze bottle in her hand and just poured it over top his salad, before walking away.  We both looked at each other like, did that really just happen?  The lettuce was so limp,

that he only ate a few bites before moving it to the side.

His entrée was the chicken fried steak,

which honestly wasn't too bad, with a crispy exterior.  Unfortunately, the mashed potatoes were from a box and the gravy straight from a jar.  The vegetable, with corn, green and red peppers, plus onions, was so mushy, he couldn't eat it.  And Johnny loves corn.

My dish was the Navajo taco. 

According to the menu, you get your choice of either green or red chile.  When I asked the waitress which was better, she said it was best with the hot sauce.  Only after it was delivered to me, did I realize the hot sauce was the stuff in the squeeze bottle that came with the chips.  Yeah, there was no way I was putting that on it.  Covered with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, beans and ground beef, this was probably the best of the dishes we ate here, but was still average at best.

As a side, we ordered some sopaipillas,

which were exceedingly doughy and not good at all.  And although they have squeeze bottles for everything else, the honey comes in small packets.  I only took one bite of these and that was enough.

While we were dining, two older Native American women came in and sat across from us.  It didn't take long until they were complaining to the waitress about the coffee.  We could not get out of this place fast enough.

I usually don't rip a restaurant, but this one was bad.  So bad that Johnny called it the worst restaurant he has been to in years.  I look at some of the reviews of this place and it was getting good write ups fairly recently.  What happened?  Oh well, if you didn't occasionally have a bad meal, you wouldn't appreciate the really good ones. 

Joe & Aggie's Café
120 W. Hopi Drive
Holbrook, AZ
928-524-6540

We got back in the car, heading west on I-40.   
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/31 09:35:50
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 10:36:34 (permalink)
Roz and I were are the rock forest a few years ago.  Since you were in the vicinity of The meteor crater and Winslow, AZ?  We stood on the corner in Winslow and had breakfast at the famous hotel on the east part of town.  When we were at the Petrified forest, we saw what appeared to be hundreds of prairie dogs.  Great trip and we also visited Grand Canyon, Phoenix and Tucson.

The meteor crater was very strange and a giant hole in the ground.  Great museum also.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 10:40:11 (permalink)
That's coming up next Paul.  It really is a beautiful part of the country, isn't it?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 11:07:06 (permalink)
buffetbuster

That's coming up next Paul.  It really is a beautiful part of the country, isn't it?

Very colorful, tranquil, interesting, unique and mystique however I am always grateful to return to the greenery of East TN.  I have spent a great deal of time in Phoenix and Tucson.  Very nice but I would be afraid to reside in that part of the country.  I would be afraid of running out of water.  They only have so much and the population keeps growing.  The Desert Zoo in Tucson was one of the  unique zoo's I have ever visited. 

Tucson has a more unique food selection that Phoenix.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 15:02:27 (permalink)
Sundancer,
I agree with you that Tucson is more "Unique" when it comes to Mexican food but in other categories, PHX has a wider variety of other food types if only by the sheer number of restaurants available.
I understand we're running a pipeline to be able to tap into the TVA!
I also agree with you that TN is a beautiful state and it's only a plane ride away!
AZ & TN--- My 2 favorite states!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 15:03:56 (permalink)
As we were driving past Winslow, we had to stop for a cheesy photo op at what is called Standin' on a Corner Park.  Based on the classic Eagles song Take It Easy, it has a man (statue) standing on a corner,

with a girl in a flat bed Ford, slowing down to take a look at him.  Or, at least as close as they could approximate this.  Notice the eagle sitting on the window ledge and they do have a beautiful old red truck

parked in the street.  There is a gift shop right across the street (which we did not go in) that is constantly playing Eagles songs.

Once back on I-40 heading west, the wind really picked up.  So much so, it was a constant stream of tumbleweeds

flying by us on the interstate.

Next up was the Meteor Crater, a place I have always wanted to visit.  This turned out to be so massive, it was impossible to fit it into one photo. 

The numbers that we learned here were really amazing.  It is almost a mile across, the asteroid that hit was only about the size of a school bus and it was traveling at 11 miles a second!  The wind here was gusting at 67 miles per hour, which means they had to cancel any tours, although we could still go to the viewing platforms.  It was a tough climb walking up to the highest platform and I saw the wind blow several people to the ground.  One poor old man got knocked over repeatedly.  I also like this photo

from the visitor center back towards the interstate and even this looks desolate.

Our destination for the night was Flagstaff.  Looking for a change of pace meal, we decided to have Thai food for dinner and chose a place in downtown called Pato Thai Cuisine

The inside is small, but attractively decorated.  The staff was also young and attractive, which is no surprise since Flagstaff is a college town.

We started with Johnny's favorite appetizer, which is satay. 

The grilled chicken was tender and sauce-wise, it worked out perfectly, since he prefers the peanut sauce and I like the cucumber sauce.  We both love Thai soups.  Johnny enjoyed the Tom Ka Soup,

which is a coconut based soup, with plenty of mushrooms, chicken, lemongrass and not too spicy chilis.  My Tom Yum

soup had just a little bit more heat and was also loaded with mushrooms.

Johnny's entrée was the Panang,

with carrots, corn, bell peppers, green beans, chili paste and a peanut sauce in coconut milk.  It was really good and Johnny easily finished the entire dish.  I am partial to noodles, so my choice was the Pad See Ewe,

with shrimp, egg, carrots and especially good broccoli.  To drink, the tallest Thai iced teas

I have ever seen.

While Pato Thai Cuisine is certainly not the best Thai food we have ever had, the food here was just we needed on this night.

Pato Thai Cuisine
104 N. San Francisco Street
Flagstaff, AZ
928-213-1825

We had another early start planned for the next morning, so we were asleep soon after checking into the hotel. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/01 08:16:37
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 16:13:52 (permalink)
BB

Thanks for making me feel better about having to skip Joe & Aggies after we left the park on our way to Scottsdale a couple of years ago.

[link=javascript:;] [/link]

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 17:20:11 (permalink)
BB: I had flown over the meteor crater many times.  The pilot always pointed it out.  I had to stop the next time I was by there and I was glad I did.  The history behind the huge hole in the ground is fascinating.  Winslow was a great stop for Roz and myself and we had to do some shots of both of us standing on the corner.  We had to visit the La Posada for breakfast in "The Turquoise Room"  Double outstanding.  Right on route 66.

http://www.laposada.org/hotel_history.html

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1028
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 17:32:20 (permalink)
If you see a green Fiat going the other way tomorrow, wave it's me. I just happen to be in Phoenix and heading north then EAST to see the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Thanks for the heads up about Joe & Aggies, I was going to stop there. Maybe I'll stop in Sedona for a fancy dinner instead.
post edited by plb - 2014/03/31 20:29:16
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 20:15:00 (permalink)
plb
If you see a green Fiat going the other way tomorrow, wave it's me. I just happen to be in Phoenix and heading north then west to see the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Thanks for the heads up about Joe & Aggies, I was going to stop there. Maybe I'll stop in Sedona for a fancy dinner instead.

If you're going up I-17 and you want to see the Petrified Forest & Painted Desert, then you better TURN EAST, NOT WEST when you get to Flagstaff!
I'd definitely recommend the La Posada Hotel in Winslow for dinner.  
http://laposada.org/
plb
  • Total Posts : 1028
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/03/31 20:33:42 (permalink)
Foodbme,
East it is. Thanks, La Posada looks good.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 09:18:53 (permalink)
Thursday February 20, 2014

With Flagstaff being in the mountains, it is considerably colder here than it is in the southern part of the state.  The fact that we got up before dark to make the drive to the Grand Canyon made it even colder out.

Once we entered the park, our first stop was the Bright Angel Lodge for a quick breakfast.  National parks are notorious for having bad food, but I have eaten here before and it wasn't too bad.  Let me go ahead and apologize for the food photos, because they are not good. 

I like the retro menu cover. 

The dining room

is old fashioned looking with the wood beams across the ceiling and the wooden poles. 

We started by splitting a rather unimpressive fruit and yogurt plate. 

The fruit was limited to oranges, pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew, but it was still nice to get something healthy in our bodies for a change this week.  The yogurt was watery and not worth eating.  It also came with a slice of banana bread

and I was happy to discover it didn't contain nuts.

Johnny's entrée was the bacon and eggs,

hashbrowns and pancakes,

with everything just being run of the mill.  My swiss, ham and mushroom omelet

was actually quite big and loaded with the meat and cheese.  This was the best thing we ate here.

After finishing my omelet, I started looking around the table for the jelly to put on my toast.  I couldn't find it, but I knew Johnny had previously used it.  He told me the waiter had already taken it.  Yeah, this is a minor pet peeve of mine and because I am a very slow eater, it happens frequently.  Can't begin to tell you how many times the syrup, honey, ketchup, etc. have been taken from my table when I haven't used it, yet.  Okay, no big deal, he just had to bring it back.  Other than that, we received very good service.  And I like the fact that on the name tags of the waiters/waitresses, they also have their home towns listed, which is a natural conversation starter.

After fueling up, we walked over to the head of the Bright Angel Trail.  But, it was obvious that neither one of us had any enthusiasm for the walking this would require.  We have both done it before (this is my fifth visit to the Grand Canyon) and the fact that it was still cold out (mid 30s I would guess), we decided to just drive to all the vantage points.  This worked out especially well, since many of the vantage points are open to cars in January and February that are normally open only to shuttle buses the rest of the year.  In the time we were driving around the park, we did not see a single shuttle bus running.

Anyway, I thought my difficulties with the focus on my better camera was fixed, but looking at the photos, it obviously wasn't.  So the scenery photos of the canyon

aren't as sharp as they should be.  The most interesting thing that happened is that we struck up a conversation with a man at one viewpoint and he started telling us about a group of young guys who were nearby.  They had climbed over the railing and were posing for photos right at the very edge of the canyon.  You can see by this photo

how close the one young guy is to the edge.  The man we were talking to started telling us about a book he was reading, chronicling every death that has occurred inside the park and it is surprising just how many people have fallen into the canyon.  By the time I got over to where these young guys were, there were now four of them standing right next to the rim, while the guy taking the photo was hanging backwards on the railing in an attempt to also get in the photo.  And being young and stupid, they did the usual fake push each other, with one guy actually falling, but falling forwards instead.  I only watched them for about a minute until I couldn't take it anymore.  Thankfully, they climbed back over the railing to head over to another viewpoint.

One other highlight of our time here was that we saw plenty of wildlife,

mostly what we thought were mule deer.

We had a great time at the Grand Canyon and visiting here never gets old.  By late afternoon, though, it was time to make the drive back to Flagstaff.  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/01 09:22:15
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 09:27:59 (permalink)
I have been to the grand canyon many times.  The last time I was there I paid to walk out over the canyon on the glass overhang.  Sure did make my crotch hurt.  Are you sure that is not a female elk???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 09:41:43 (permalink)
Paul-
I don't know if my fear of heights would allow me to do the glass overhang, but it would be an interesting experience.  Is it a female elk?  Surely there are people out there who will know for sure.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 09:47:36 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Paul-
I don't know if my fear of heights would allow me to do the glass overhang, but it would be an interesting experience.  Is it a female elk?  Surely there are people out there who will know for sure.

I have a terrible fear of heights.  I can watch TV and when I see folks in a precarious position, it really bugs me.  When I was in Germany, I visited the castle that King Ludwig built that Disney sorta replicated.  After the tour I walked the grounds and behind it, there was a swinging bridge that crossed over a ravine.  I tried but could not do it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 10:24:24 (permalink)
Foodbme
If you're going up I-17 and you want to see the Petrified Forest & Painted Desert, then you better TURN EAST, NOT WEST when you get to Flagstaff!
I'd definitely recommend the La Posada Hotel in Winslow for dinner.  
http://laposada.org/

Indeed, La Posada is both a great hotel and a great restaurant.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1083
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 10:25:07 (permalink)
I clicked into the picture of the guy standing on the edge and zoomed in.  Even just seeing that in a picture made me nervous.

Fantastic report by the way.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 10:34:31 (permalink)
hatteras04

I clicked into the picture of the guy standing on the edge and zoomed in.  Even just seeing that in a picture made me nervous. 
I hadn't zoomed in on that photo yet until you mentioned it and you aren't kidding.  It was enough to give me the heebie jeebies!
And thanks for the compliment!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 11:03:41 (permalink)
If those pictures (of the sunset, Petrified Forest National Park and those breakfasts) aren't enough to make me want to re-visit out West and prove to my other half that it's a totally different world out there, nothing will work! When moving from California back to Pennsylvania, there was a stop at Little Painted Desert County Park that blew my mind. This was all in my pre-Roadfood years. Thanks for the refresher course and ideas. It would be great to get to some of the recommended eating establishments before they are a thing of the past, like so many are now.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 12:15:23 (permalink)
Fantastic scenery, BB!  Sorry to read about the letdown at Joe & Aggie's but with the number of different restaurants you visited I would've been pretty surprised with a 100% success rate.

Hopefully someday those young guys will realize how unnecessary their risks on the canyon ledge were.  Around here we have the bluffs at Devil's Lake State Park and whenever our kids would go up there with friends the point we always stressed was that they had to stay on the trails no matter what; years ago the son of friends of my parents fell to his death there.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 13:04:52 (permalink)
Once back in Flagstaff, we headed straight to Diablo Burger for a late lunch.   My girlfriend and I ate here two years ago and thought it was good, but not great.  It is located as part of a small downtown mall, but you have to go outside to enter the place. 

There isn't much to the inside, with four tables for six and a short counter. 

We were expecting it to be crowded as usual, but luckily, we were ahead of the dinner rush.

What makes the burgers special is that they use according to their website, "100% local, grass fed, open range raised, antibiotic free, growth-hormone-free beef".  That is a mouthful, but I can attest that the meat there use is undoubtedly high quality.  They have some really unusual burger combinations, such as on my previous visit, mine included beets.  And strangely enough, all burgers are served on an excellent English muffin, with the letters db branded into the top. 

Johnny chose the Wrigley Field

with bacon, swiss, grilled onions and rising hy spicy honey mustard, which wasn't really spicy at all.  For Johnny, that is just about his perfect combination of toppings on a burger and he was very happy with it.  Whenever we ordered, the waitresses informed us that unless they are told otherwise, all burgers are served medium rare. 

All burgers come with frites, Belgium style fries. 

They are a lovely golden brown with skin on and are certainly hand cut, but I wish they weren't so soft.  Still, an excellent side.  When I asked the waitress for some kind of dipping sauce for the frites, she brought us a container of a special sauce, which was similar to Thousand Islands dressing.

My choice was the Blake burger,

which is Diablo Burger's version of the New Mexico green chile cheeseburger.  It is topped with roasted green chiles, Hatch chile mayo and sharp cheddar.  Most of the GCCs I have enjoyed in New Mexico have been blue collar burgers and this is more of a gourmet burger, so that makes it difficult to compare.  Of course, you could make a case for my beloved Bobcat Bite served a gourmet burger.  Regardless, the combination of everything worked beautifully together and it was a real pleasure to eat.  To drink, we both had Mexican Cokes.

One other thing about Diablo Burger that I really like is the clever tip jar. 

One of the things I don't like is the uncomfortable tractor seats,

which most definitely were not meant to hold a big guy like me.  After I finished eating and got up from the seat, my back was sore for a while.

I definitely liked Diablo Burger better the second time around and give it a high recommendation.  As with anyplace, it depends on what you order.

Diablo Burger
120 N. Leroux Street
Flagstaff, AZ
928-774-3274    
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/04/01 13:09:57
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 13:15:02 (permalink)
You never let up, do you? You just have to keep posting gorgeous photos of beautiful places and mouthwatering food. You are an evil man.
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 13:36:34 (permalink)
Great report. Thanks for all the hard work putting it together.

I love your photos.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 13:40:49 (permalink)
I have traveled through Flagstaff many times but I am sorry to say, I have never stopped.  Each time on my way to the Grand Canyon.  I always had lunch at the National Park hotel at the Canyon.  It appears that your stop in Flagstaff was very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 13:45:12 (permalink)
Sundancer7 
I have been to the grand canyon many times.  The last time I was there I paid to walk out over the canyon on the glass overhang.  Sure did make my crotch hurt. 
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

The Skywalk is about 100 miles West of the South Rim and has been difficult to get to but I understand the Indian Tribe that owns it has or is building a new road to get to it. They had a squabble with a guy who owned the property where a small stretch of the old road crossed his property. He wanted to put a toll booth on it! 

And someone has to clean that Glass Skywalk that you walked on!

Workers from a Phoenix-based company had an awe-inspiring view as they dangled from ropes to clean the glass at the Grand Canyon Skywalk.
The more than 40 panes of glass underneath the horseshoe-shaped bridge aren't easily accessible. Technicians from Abseilon USA had to hook up a series of ropes before polishing the underside Tuesday.
The structure juts out 70 feet from the edge of the Grand Canyon, offering visitors a view of the Colorado River 4,000 feet below.
Abseilon USA Vice President Kenneth Piposar says the company's work also has included rappelling down into the Grand Canyon to retrieve water bottles, hats and other trash.
The Skywalk is at the west end of the Grand Canyon on the Hualapai (WAHL'-uh-peye) reservation, outside the boundaries of Grand Canyon National Park.
http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 14:51:22 (permalink)
Foodbme-
Thanks for the interesting info about the Grand Canyon Skywalk.  I wasn't sure exactly where it was.  It takes a special type of person to do that kind of job.

And what kind of person litters anywhere, but especially at a place like the Grand Canyon?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raising Arizona 2014/04/01 21:00:41 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Foodbme-
Thanks for the interesting info about the Grand Canyon Skywalk.  I wasn't sure exactly where it was.  It takes a special type of person to do that kind of job.
And what kind of person litters anywhere, but especially at a place like the Grand Canyon?

I can understand some of it. It's windy out on that thing and stuff can get blown off pretty easily.
Just like the South Rim, you'll see all nationalities out there but I bet most of the Trash is created by us Ugly Americans!
It's located over closer to Kingman but North of Kingman. The quickest way to get to it would be from Las Vegas. Over the New Hoover Dam Bridge.
I think its closer to Vegas than it is to the South Rim. They also have Helicopter rides from Vegas as well as the Skywalk site to get there.
Did you happen to watch the Video from the web Site?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjEFNGgP-Q&feature=plcp
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/04/01 21:12:12
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1