The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rally's Hamburgers

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
Rally's Hamburgers Wed, 11/24/04 2:35 PM (permalink)
Yes, here I am talking about another chain. The shame, the shame :-) Anyway, here's a link to their website: http://www.checkers.com/rallys_menu.asp

This chain has a fairly small representation here in Cincinnati, all Rally's, none that are Checkers as far as I know. I'll add that I have never been to a Checkers location.

I am not trumpeting this chain as the best burger ever, but will say that the "Big Buford" is one of the better fast food chain burgers I have ever had. Hands down better than the big national chains (McD, BK, Wendy's) imho. The smaller burgers they sell aren't nearly as good for some odd reason, though. I will occasionally go out of my way to stop at one. Near as I can tell, they keep the menu fairly simple, don't precook burgers (ie, the patty goes directly from grill to bun), and use somewhat better ingredients (like thick-cut red onions rather than thin slices of other cheaper onions) than the other chains.

Few more oddities\distinctions:
--People I know locally who like this place talk about the coated fries rather than the burgers. They're different, I'll grant you, but imho not all that good.
--They advertise fairly heavily in Cincinnati, and are clearly targeting hip-hop fans, as their jingle "Gotta eat" is very much in the hip hop style. The whole Nascar thing is played down to the point that I doubt the typical patron notices that the locations have any association with car racing whatsoever.
--The locations in Cincinnati (Not sure if this is true universally) are very, very small, with drive through windows on both sides of the building. No indoor sit down dining, but generally there are some outdoor tables.

Anyone else like Rally's?

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: Rally's Hamburgers Wed, 11/24/04 4:54 PM (permalink)
    Yeah, I always thought they were good, also. The one down the street near my office just folded, though... about the time the new Whataburger opened up. Speaking of that, Whataburger is building now a new location in my hometown. Seems our local McDee's recently burnt down (arson;).
    Fate, or coinsidence...........

"--The locations in Cincinnati (Not sure if this is true universally) are very, very small, with drive through windows on both sides of the building. No indoor sit down dining, but generally there are some outdoor tables." --- YEP, same everywhere.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
      RE: Rally's Hamburgers Wed, 11/24/04 5:00 PM (permalink)
      We have Rally's near us (some have folded) and Checkers (which I've never tried) about 40 minutes away. I've not found any burger on their menu that I can't live without, but I do love their fries because they are seasoned. I also love their ultra cheap and good breakfast of a big breakfast burrito filled with eggs cheese and meat, hash browns and orange juice for 3 dollars.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Rally's Hamburgers Wed, 11/24/04 5:23 PM (permalink)
        The Double Bacon Cheeseburger is 'on sale' here often (99 cents) Thats a pretty good sandwich at a dirt cheap price. We do a quick loop-thru now and then.[|)]

Adjudicator

RE: Rally's Hamburgers Wed, 11/24/04 5:40 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Jennifer_4

We have Rally's near us (some have folded) and Checkers (which I've never tried) about 40 minutes away. I've not found any burger on their menu that I can't live without, but I do love their fries because they are seasoned. I also love their ultra cheap and good breakfast of a big breakfast burrito filled with eggs cheese and meat, hash browns and orange juice for 3 dollars.

Rally's/Checker's. 'Tis about the same... All "kiosk" cookin', etc. virtually same menu, layout, taste, etc.

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
            RE: Rally's Hamburgers Wed, 11/24/04 9:24 PM (permalink)

Here in North Florida, Checkers did take over most of the Rally's locations. [|)]

RockyB

• Total Posts: 120
              RE: Rally's Hamburgers Thu, 11/25/04 11:26 AM (permalink)
              I lived in Toledo, Ohio for awhile in the mid-90's and encountered Rally's there for the first time. I liked the Big Buford too, and I always thought that they made a decent burger at a decent price. And I always thought the "Double Drive-Thru" was a neat idea.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Rally's Hamburgers Thu, 11/25/04 11:38 AM (permalink)
                First Rally's I saw in SoCal in the late 80's was on Century between the Strip Club and the entrance to L A X . Good location !!
                2nd one was/is in Bakersfield, near the arch. Often wondered about the mental state of the chain's location selector with those two being the only one's I could recall from those years !!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                  RE: Rally's Hamburgers Thu, 11/25/04 11:58 AM (permalink)
                  Rally's merged with Columbus-based Snap's back in the '90s. I don't know when it was acquired by Checkers. My grandson loves Rally's hamburgers and fries. I've tried the fries and I like them. They actually have flavor, unlike the ones from other chains such as McDonald's. I did try a Rally's chili dog once. Never again.

Adjudicator

RE: Rally's Hamburgers Thu, 11/25/04 12:18 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Rally's merged with Columbus-based Snap's back in the '90s. I don't know when it was acquired by Checkers. My grandson loves Rally's hamburgers and fries. I've tried the fries and I like them. They actually have flavor, unlike the ones from other chains such as McDonald's. I did try a Rally's chili dog once. Never again.

Michael:

Rally's actually offered at one time a decent smoked sausage "dog". They were excellent. The "hot dogs" there/that were there, etc., sucks/sucked.
                    Gimmie a good brat, any day.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                      RE: Rally's Hamburgers Mon, 11/29/04 2:16 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I did try a Rally's chili dog once. Never again.

I did you one better. I tried the chili. When they asked if I wanted it with cheese and onions, I figured they meant grated cheese and chopped onion. Nope, they meant a slice of processed cheese and several rings of raw onion. Wildly nasty.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                        RE: Rally's Hamburgers Mon, 11/29/04 2:21 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Yes, here I am talking about another chain. The shame, the shame :-) Anyway, here's a link to their website: http://www.checkers.com/rallys_menu.asp

This chain has a fairly small representation here in Cincinnati, all Rally's, none that are Checkers as far as I know. I'll add that I have never been to a Checkers location.

I am not trumpeting this chain as the best burger ever, but will say that the "Big Buford" is one of the better fast food chain burgers I have ever had. Hands down better than the big national chains (McD, BK, Wendy's) imho. The smaller burgers they sell aren't nearly as good for some odd reason, though. I will occasionally go out of my way to stop at one. Near as I can tell, they keep the menu fairly simple, don't precook burgers (ie, the patty goes directly from grill to bun), and use somewhat better ingredients (like thick-cut red onions rather than thin slices of other cheaper onions) than the other chains.

Few more oddities\distinctions:
                        --People I know locally who like this place talk about the coated fries rather than the burgers. They're different, I'll grant you, but imho not all that good.
                        --They advertise fairly heavily in Cincinnati, and are clearly targeting hip-hop fans, as their jingle "Gotta eat" is very much in the hip hop style. The whole Nascar thing is played down to the point that I doubt the typical patron notices that the locations have any association with car racing whatsoever.
                        --The locations in Cincinnati (Not sure if this is true universally) are very, very small, with drive through windows on both sides of the building. No indoor sit down dining, but generally there are some outdoor tables.

Anyone else like Rally's?

Occasionally, but nowhere near as much as I did when they first arrived on the scene. Back then it was something to look forward to, but they've closed most of the nearby locations and the quality hasn't been there the last few times I've partaken. I last ate in a Checker's near the navy base in Pensacola, and it was great. I had a burger, a bathtub full of iced tea (sweet) and a side of apple chips. The apple chips were fantastic. I even went back for seconds so that my wife, kids and father in law could try some. (I was trying to wean the kids off of McDonald's. It worked.)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com