The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Random Acts of Kindness

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
Random Acts of Kindness Fri, 10/14/11 6:09 PM (permalink)
I was the recipient of one yesterday, I was at my Costco, just started with my flatbed, was looking at my restaurant list, I looked up and walking towards me was a super attractive blond woman with either her young daughter or Grand daughter, I couldn't tell the womans age, suffice to say she was a tweener, a beautiful one. She smiled at me, that's it, a real smile, I smiled back. That's it, doesn't sound like much, but in ths age of terrible sturm and drang, daily horrific news, people so insensitive to one another you can easily get shot over a parking space, the kind smile was salve to my soul. I now know I need to smile and say hello more, add to her random kind act.
Been the recipient of any random acts of kindness ever, have you committed any random acts of kindness? Don't be shy!!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
    Re:Random Acts of Kindness Fri, 10/14/11 6:22 PM (permalink)
    I'm receiving help with my French menu and decor from two very nice Roadfood people. 

I always try to smile or say hello to strangers that I'm passing by while walking.  A lot of times they look down or in the other direction.  It's a foreign act to some.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
      Re:Random Acts of Kindness Fri, 10/14/11 8:24 PM (permalink)
      chewingthefat

I was the recipient of one yesterday, I was at my Costco, just started with my flatbed, was looking at my restaurant list, I looked up and walking towards me was a super attractive blond woman with either her young daughter or Grand daughter, I couldn't tell the womans age, suffice to say she was a tweener, a beautiful one. She smiled at me, that's it, a real smile, I smiled back. That's it, doesn't sound like much, but in ths age of terrible sturm and drang, daily horrific news, people so insensitive to one another you can easily get shot over a parking space, the kind smile was salve to my soul. I now know I need to smile and say hello more, add to her random kind act.
      Been the recipient of any random acts of kindness ever, have you committed any random acts of kindness? Don't be shy!!
      I was at a supermarket last year and bought a couple of items and went through the 10 item or less checkout line.  My items got rang up with a lady's order in front of me.  Instead of being upset she told the cashier just to put my items in a bag and give them to me and she just paid for everything.  My items were probably worth about ten bucks.  I was so surprised I did not say much but caught up with her outside and told her I needed to pay her for my  items - she absolutely refused and said something like I can afford it and off she went. 

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
        Re:Random Acts of Kindness Sat, 10/15/11 12:06 PM (permalink)
        This summer a young lady from McLean Va. left her wallet here, she called and asked if we found it, I said indeed we did, she asked me if I would mail it back to her and that there was $10.00 in it to cover the shipping. I took it to a local store that ships things, and put a $50.00 in place of the $10.00 with a note that said "It pays to eat at C......" she called a few days later to thank me and started to cry mid thanks, kind of choked me up too, damn I felt great.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
          Re:Random Acts of Kindness Sat, 10/15/11 1:05 PM (permalink)
          My Random act of kindness happened in London, August /1999.  My husband & I were there with another couple.  We near Covent Garden looking at a map.  I was trying to find on the map a particular restaurant that served roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, etc.  A very well dressed Englishman was walking by & asked if he could help.  I explained about the restaurant.  He said he lived nearby & could take us to his favorite restaurant.  Well, we followed him along the narrow streets & came to "Rules", one of London's oldest restaurants-dark wood, velvet covered chairs, tons of atmosphere.  There was a line of folks outside the door waiting to get in.  Our new friend took us inside, told the maitre d to find us a table, selected a bottle of wine for us, told the maitre d he would be in a few days to "settle up" for the wine, accepted our thanks & left.  The wine was a French Medoc, 90 pounds a bottle, I have never had a better wine since.   We had a wonderful dinner.  I don't remember his name, we left a thank you note with the maitre d. 
          The Brits will always be A#1 in my book.

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
            Re:Random Acts of Kindness Sun, 02/19/12 4:30 PM (permalink)
            I was at Metroburger in Highland Square in Akron OH in the Fall and was down because of my position at my job and was down and the boys that work there were so sweet and kind, and told me that all bad things are temporary. (I hope that they are okay, the resturant has signs on it saying redecorating and no tapes and chairs inside or out)

I also want to give a shout out to the kind people at Dimitroff Furniture & Design in Fairlawn Bath Ohio area, last month my car ran out of gas in front of their store, and not only they gave me some gas and some water, they gave me some cookies and some hot coffee,

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
              Re:Random Acts of Kindness Sun, 02/19/12 6:48 PM (permalink)
              As born-and-raised Midwesterner I'm not sure I understand the thread...being nice and/or extending a helping hand to someone is newsworthy??

A number of years ago we were headed back to Wisconsin from Illinois on Christmas Eve and at the South Beloit toll plaza I gave the attendant a larger bill (probably a $10 or $20; this was back in the 40-cent days) and told her to just wave people through until it was gone.  I have no idea if that's what actually happened but I like to think that it did.

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
                Re:Random Acts of Kindness Thu, 02/23/12 7:17 PM (permalink)
                ScreamingChicken

As born-and-raised Midwesterner I'm not sure I understand the thread...being nice and/or extending a helping hand to someone is newsworthy??

A number of years ago we were headed back to Wisconsin from Illinois on Christmas Eve and at the South Beloit toll plaza I gave the attendant a larger bill (probably a $10 or $20; this was back in the 40-cent days) and told her to just wave people through until it was gone.  I have no idea if that's what actually happened but I like to think that it did.

I think that it should be newsworthy, with all the bad things that go on in this world, it is very nice to know about human kindness, and ps most of the randomacts of kindess make me cry, it is very good when someone or myself commits random acts of kindess, amen to that

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com