Hot!Random Food Related Thoughts

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1512
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 18:48:35 (permalink)
I'm becoming convinced that the best pizza is one you order in the restaurant and consume same when it comes out of the kitchen. Take out and home delivery are very over rated.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7921
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 20:27:27 (permalink)
felix4067

Why is it that every casserole under the sun requires cracker crumbs, or Bisquick, or stuffing mix, or bread crumbs, or potato chips, or some kind of empty carbs? I assume it's filler, because those things are cheaper than the main ingredients. But when you're cooking for a pre-diabetic who is trying to control it through diet rather than pills or shots, it's frustrating.

A very quick, easy and simple problem to your solution- instead of "empty carbs"  do whole grain, instead of potato chips do "sweet potato chips"....excellent options for someone diabetic or pre-diabetic
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5167
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 21:29:26 (permalink)
I don't care much for raspberries but Raspberries really defined the power pop sound of the early '70s.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 21:53:35 (permalink)
scratch & sniff :)

drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 00:33:20 (permalink)
Ralph Melton

When I'm in a chain restaurant of the "stuff on the walls" subgenre, I find myself pondering the people who choose and arrange that stuff.

I'll take TGI Friday's as a specific example, although these questions apply to many of its competitors. Some of my questions:
- Is there a single person or group choosing the stuff for every TGI Friday's, or is there room for discretion on the part of specific owners? (In the particular case of TGI Friday's, I think it's centralized; there's a consistent style, and the website points out some of the consistencies.)
- How often does a Friday's change the stuff on the walls?
- Does the stuff get bought only when it's needed, or does TGI Friday's have a warehouse somewhere of Friday's-ish stuff?
- What's the job of a stuff-on-the-walls picker like? Is the pay good? Is it relaxed, or are you always constantly worrying that a younger, more aggressive stuff-on-the-walls picker will put you out of a job? If you aspire to a career as a stuff-on-the-walls picker, how do you get started?

You think about this a lot, huh?  lol

I haven't been to any other Red Robin other than the one in town here for many years.  Maybe close to 30.  I cannot stand the stuff-on-the-walls in the Red Robin here.  It's old still movie shots and some sports stuff and other crap.

When I was quite young, maybe late teens, the Red Robin in Seattle, it might have been the original one, had beautiful decor with Tiffany style lamps and nice upholstered booths and I just loved the place.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 01:08:40 (permalink)

My random food thought:  .....

On several occasions, while waiting in line at a grocery store, the cashier will point to one of my items and ask, "Is that any good?".   
   I'm immediately thinking to myself, what sort of dumb question is that?  Either I haven't tried it before , so can't give an honest answer as to whether it's good.  ... Or,  I have tried it before, and it was good enough to buy again.

So, sometimes when the devil takes hold of me, I enjoy playing comedian (and give a Bill Engvall type of reply similar to his "Here's Your Sign" comedy skit.).

The cashier asks, "Is that stuff any good?".   I reply,  "Nope.  It's totally awful, but I enjoy wasting money and buying it anyway!"

With the grin on my face, usually the cashier will laugh, reflecting back on how silly the question was. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/05 01:22:24
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 16:42:31 (permalink)
ces1948

I'm becoming convinced that the best pizza is one you order in the restaurant and consume same when it comes out of the kitchen. Take out and home delivery are very over rated.

Agreed.

Although, I am fond of pizza that has been brought home from the restaurant after eating relatively late, has been left overnight on the counter and then consumed for breakfast.  This is a holdover from when I used to shoot pool (and drink beer) until the wee hours in Seattle. 
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 17:32:24 (permalink)
Glenn1234

On several occasions, while waiting in line at a grocery store, the cashier will point to one of my items and ask, "Is that any good?".   
  I'm immediately thinking to myself, what sort of dumb question is that?  Either I haven't tried it before , so can't give an honest answer as to whether it's good.  ... Or,  I have tried it before, and it was good enough to buy again.

So, sometimes when the devil takes hold of me, I enjoy playing comedian (and give a Bill Engvall type of reply similar to his "Here's Your Sign" comedy skit.).

The cashier asks, "Is that stuff any good?".   I reply,  "Nope.  It's totally awful, but I enjoy wasting money and buying it anyway!"

With the grin on my face, usually the cashier will laugh, reflecting back on how silly the question was. 

Glenn

I must shop at a grocery store with a curious clientele and inquisitive clerks because we always jabber back and forth  about food and life. Sometimes I tell them, sometimes they tell me. All good and knowledge gained. 
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 20:59:08 (permalink)
1bbqboy

Glenn1234

Glenn

I must shop at a grocery store with a curious clientele and inquisitive clerks because we always jabber back and forth  about food and life. Sometimes I tell them, sometimes they tell me. All good and knowledge gained. 

Sounds like your cashiers ask something along the lines of,  "How is that stuff?", which is a more open ended question,  ... .   As opposed to asking, "Is that stuff any good?", which was the cashier question I was referring to.     

In any case, it seems most of the cashiers I have tried this on get the humor.

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/05 21:11:20
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 08:38:23 (permalink)
As a young teenager, I looked forward to nothing more than a 99 cent Totino's frozen pizza spruced up with canned mushrooms and cheap pimento olives and watching Friday night "Creature Feature"!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6474
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 12:57:27 (permalink)
WarToad

As a young teenager, I looked forward to nothing more than a 99 cent Totino's frozen pizza spruced up with canned mushrooms and cheap pimento olives and watching Friday night "Creature Feature"!

Our Krogers recently had those pizzas on sale 10 for $10 but if you bought 5 you got $5 back at the cash register, so they were giving away pizzas. (We "bought" 80 of them)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 13:26:37 (permalink)
WarToad

And then as an older teenager the Creature Feature was replaced by "The Dark Side of the Moon", right?
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 14:04:11 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

WarToad

And then as an older teenager the Creature Feature was replaced by "The Dark Side of the Moon", right?

Got that right!  Floyd, early Clapton, Deep Purple, YES, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Cream, Doors... they all showed up.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3567
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 14:11:34 (permalink)
wanderingjew
A very quick, easy and simple problem to your solution- instead of "empty carbs"  do whole grain, instead of potato chips do "sweet potato chips"....excellent options for someone diabetic or pre-diabetic

Yup, those are on the list, too. But for some reason sweet potato chips are way hard to find here. If it's a casserole that requires stuffing or pasta, I do use the whole wheat stuff. Usually I use half what it calls for and increase the vegetables or meat. If it calls for rice, I always use brown rice. Still an awful lot of carbs there, though, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

WarToad 

Add some slices of American cheese (split into thirds, and arranged in spokes) and a sprinkling of Parmesan from the can, and you've got what was my favourite lunch ever!
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 15:19:28 (permalink)
I still like Totinos pizzas, although I don't spruce them up.  When I was in my late teens, my father used to buy the Totinos sausage pizza and it had good sausage on it.  With fennel seeds!!  The sausage now is tasteless.  But if you're broke and craving pizza, a $1 Totinos is not bad. ;)
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8520
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 21:11:33 (permalink)
Don't get me going on all those bands, my friends! Saw Pink Floyd at the Milwaukee Stadium in the 70's-Yes still is one of my favorites-saw them at Alpine Valley......
ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 23:08:25 (permalink)
When I was a kid my dad made two bologna sandwiches for lunch almost every day. Bologna, white bread and mayo. Took them in one of those black lunch "buckets" with no refrigeration. Based on what we know today I don't see how he didn't get food poisoning.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 23:44:45 (permalink)
I met a woman about 25 years ago who kept her mayo in the cupboard.  No one in their family died.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8520
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 07:32:46 (permalink)
Mayo is not the culprit associated with food born illnesses. For instance, with potato salad, its the potatoes, not the mayo that is to blame if left unrefrigerated too long. Mayo has vinegar in it, a natural preservative. My Mom kept our colored Easter eggs on the dining room table for a week or better-we ate them with no problems. They were prepared with vinegar( to get the dye to adhere to the shell)

ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 10:08:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the info. I did not know that and have always bought into the "The Mayo myth" as they called it on a couple of websites I checked. They also said it was safe to have unrefrigerated opened mayo but keeping it refrigerated maintains the quality.

ann peeples

Mayo is not the culprit associated with food born illnesses. For instance, with potato salad, its the potatoes, not the mayo that is to blame if left unrefrigerated too long. Mayo has vinegar in it, a natural preservative. My Mom kept our colored Easter eggs on the dining room table for a week or better-we ate them with no problems. They were prepared with vinegar( to get the dye to adhere to the shell)

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1024
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 12:22:07 (permalink)
When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 13:11:50 (permalink)
I think kids bringing their lunch to school is a lot less popular then it once was. Going home for lunch is also verboten most places.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 13:28:27 (permalink)
1bbqboy

I think kids bringing their lunch to school is a lot less popular then it once was. Going home for lunch is also verboten most places.

I know from the hoops my niece has to jump through to send lunch with her kids, it's just easier to have them eat what the school makes. The restrictions on what they are allowed to bring (primarily because of food allergies) makes it so there really are only about six things they can have.
ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 15:15:44 (permalink)
I've started to dislike the pickles that aren't sold refrigerated like Vlassic, Mt. Olive etc. Really do like the Claussen, Ba-Tampte and other refrigerated brands much better. What's the difference in how these are made?
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1027
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 15:39:58 (permalink)
ces1948

I've started to dislike the pickles that aren't sold refrigerated like Vlassic, Mt. Olive etc. Really do like the Claussen, Ba-Tampte and other refrigerated brands much better. What's the difference in how these are made?

No idea, but I like the refrigerated ones better now also, but just dills. Sweet I don't have a preference for as long as they're not too sweet. I won't buy Mt. Olive anymore, of any type. My tastes have changed I guess.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 16:48:28 (permalink)
random thought:

No matter how many pounds the package of bacon is, it gets cooked at one time...and eaten within 24 hours. It's really damn hard to control bacon.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 22:23:39 (permalink)
ChrisOC When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.

My mother would make the tuna sandwich the night before, and put it in the freezer overnight. By lunchtime, it had defrosted. Usually. Mostly.

Bart
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/08 09:45:55 (permalink)
Was the bread nice and soggy?
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1027
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/08 14:00:34 (permalink)
bartl

ChrisOC When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.

My mother would make the tuna sandwich the night before, and put it in the freezer overnight. By lunchtime, it had defrosted. Usually. Mostly.

Bart

In elementary school, my grandmother would make me a Carl Buddig ham sandwich with mayo, and put it on top of an ice cold can of Dr. Pepper in my lunch bag. The soda and the sandwich would be just right by noon.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/08 14:02:46 (permalink)
I still quite regularly put something frozen in my lunch when I head for work so I don't have to deal with blue ice or finding space in the refrigerator. Although mine is never a sandwich; it's usually something leftover from a dinner I've frozen.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1