Rare or Well done?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/06 22:50:02 (permalink)
Most of the time, when I order a burger it's an ostrich burger at Fuddruckers. I order it medium.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/07 11:03:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cyclops

PS:
If you go to a restaurant and they insist on cooking it medium or more, they are not buying quality burger. PERIOD. Leave and stop patronizing. Food nazi's have got to go.

I disagree here. It's not the quality of the burger's meat, it's the carefullness, or carelessness, of how the food is handled.
You can get ill from top grade beef just as easily as low grade meat.

There is no chain restaurant I feel comfortable ordering anyless than well done. I'm not usually such a safety nut, I mean, I eat raw oysters and clams all the time with little abandonment, but I don't trust any chain restaurant from handling it's ground meat correctly 100% of the time. And because I would much prefer a medium rare burger, I generally don't order a burger.

I know plenty of people who have never gotten sick from eating rare burgers. But, and this is from 1st hand experience, if you ever get sick from a burger, you aren't likely going to try a medium rare burger again when dining out. It's not a pleasant experience.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18370
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/07 12:09:44 (permalink)
Actually, the problem with ground beef does not usually lie with the restaurant where it is prepared. The problems most often arise where it is processed -- long before it ever reaches a restaurant.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/07 12:35:04 (permalink)
The book Fast Food Nation describes slaughter house operations in detail. The contamination on many people's minds in e-coli. The bacteria reside in the cow’s digestive tract. Contamination frequently occurs when the cow is being dressed, that is, having the innards removed. The risk is when the operator severs the large intestine/rectum from the cow. The contamination occurs when the contents come in contact with the meat and is not washed off. The risk increases with the production rate since the operator has to work that much faster having less time to do the job correctly. The meat is then ground on the premises and often shipped as hamburger patties. The large, fast food burger chains are the one’s demanding the lowest cost and have the highest production. Too much information?

I avoid burger chains at all cost. My local grocery store grinds their own meat. I will have a burger out if the meat is ground locally or on premises.

By the way, I prefer burgers medium-rare.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/09 14:02:32 (permalink)
I eat my burgers medium rare whether I cook them or have them out.
I realize the health risks and take my chances because for me medium
to well done burgers are taste-less.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/09 20:18:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Coinmn

After growing up on the east coast, I find that in the midwest it is next to impossible to find a great med-rare burger, and that I send 70% of the burgers back to be redone after specifically telling the waitress that I will send it back if it comes well-done.

Can't a guy get a great med-rare cheeseburger in the Twin Cities that juicy and palatable? Suggestions?

comments? Observations? Has anyone else had this experience?

As a native Chicagoan with a wife from Kansas City, I can definitively say that 99% of the burgers I eat are in the midwest. I can also tell you that I always order my burger medium rare. Unless I'm at a fast food place, the burger always comes out the way I order it. So without being snotty (no, really), what kinds of places are you eating at that can't seem to put out a medium rare burger? And why, after reading some of the early replies to your question, is Waffle House being held up as the standard for burger quality? I know there plenty of WF are fans out there, and in fact I've had a breakfast or two at Waffle House and enjoyed it. But, at the risk of offending a handful of fellow Roadfoodies, come on, there are limits. Waffle House, although better than most franchises, is NOT the Roadfood standard. Not to mention the fact that this is a discussion about burgers, so how does a place called WAFFLE House even get mentioned here?

Just asking.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/09 21:01:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:

As a native Chicagoan with a wife from Kansas City, I can definitively say that 99% of the burgers I eat are in the midwest. I can also tell you that I always order my burger medium rare. Unless I'm at a fast food place, the burger always comes out the way I order it. So without being snotty (no, really), what kinds of places are you eating at that can't seem to put out a medium rare burger? And why, after reading some of the early replies to your question, is Waffle House being held up as the standard for burger quality? I know there plenty of WF are fans out there, and in fact I've had a breakfast or two at Waffle House and enjoyed it. But, at the risk of offending a handful of fellow Roadfoodies, come on, there are limits. Waffle House, although better than most franchises, is NOT the Roadfood standard. Not to mention the fact that this is a discussion about burgers, so how does a place called WAFFLE House even get mentioned here?

Just asking.

Please point out just exactly where in this thread anyone suggested that Waffle House burgers either set or equal any standard.

The discussion was about rare or well done hamburgers. I commented on the fact that to get a less than well done burger at a Waffle House you had to sign a sort of release.

"There are some places where you can still get a rare of medium rare burger, but most places will say no. Heck, I remember that for a while you had to sign a piece of paper at Waffle House saying that you'd been informed that rare or medium rare may not be safe."

And later, in response to a question about patty melt's at Waffle House I posted the following:

"When I order a patty melt at Waffle House I order them medium rare. They're always juicy when I get them."

What's your problem with this?

Just asking.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/10 20:44:24 (permalink)
I swear to the heavens above I do not try to get into a rasslin' match with folks. I'm not trying to provoke, incite or inflame. And while I support the Fast Food/Franchise Folks being relegated to a separate forum, I am not a fanatic who thinks that all franchises, from the golden arches to Ruth's Chris Steak House, are exactly the same. As I stated in my post, I have eaten at Waffle House and enjoyed it. I've got no problem with Waffle House in general. It just seems a bit incongruous to even be discussing Waffle House in the "Hamburgers" Forum, particularly in a topic about places that have the ability, and will take the time, and show the care required to make a burger to a specific doneness. Yeah, yeah, I know there's more on the menu than just waffles and it's awfully small minded of me to think that just because the word "waffle" is in the name of the place that it can only be mentioned in topics that involve waffles (I don't actually think that-waffles, pancakes, french toast, eggs of all varieties, bacon, sausage, hash browns, the list goes on ad nauseum; are all acceptable). But hamburgers? C'mon, there have to be some limits. Don't there?

Gosh that was fun.

Awaiting a verbal punch in the nose,

Buddy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/10 23:26:18 (permalink)
Apparently you do not pay attention. The topic here is rare or well done. A post asked about finding places where you might be able to get hamburgers less than well done. I said that at a Waffle House they wanted a customer to sign a paper saying he or she had been made aware of the fact that less than well done might be a problem. It is quite clear that when it comes to being myopic, you are the one needing the glasses.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/11 19:44:48 (permalink)
Fair enough. End of discussion. Moving on.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/11 20:51:16 (permalink)
Another food fight. I missed it, again...

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/11 23:19:55 (permalink)
Not at all; grab a hot waffle and fling it at me. Plenty of butter, extra syrup, please.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/11 23:56:13 (permalink)
Make mine medium, hamburger that is, not waffle.
trudyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/12 21:50:53 (permalink)
Well done, of course.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/19 21:40:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

There are some places where you can still get a rare of medium rare burger, but most places will say no. Heck, I remember that for a while you had to sign a piece of paper at Waffle House saying that you'd been informed that rare or medium rare may not be safe.

I worked in a place like that in Cocoa Beach, and I laughed at them.
Gimme mine med-rare-med.... with a huge hunk of raw onion on it!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/19 21:42:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

For some weird reason I like my burgers cooked medium, but have been known to pinch(just pinches, not handfuls) of uncooked burger when I'm grilling my own at home or using burger in any recipe, that with a dash of salt, YUM! French neighbor started me on that at about the age of 5. I have to keep an eye on my 9 year old, he likes it to. Now, EXTRA RARE!!!!!! Went out to a place last Wednesday, will not mention the name because it is a chain, hey we have no GOOD steak houses(or anything else really for that matter)around here. On Wednesday's you pick out your own steak, they put your name and how you want it cooked on a piece of paper, on the steak. It was worth thanking the cook on he way out!

My father got me started on raw ground sirloin with garlic salt on a saltine cracker.....
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/23 14:12:21 (permalink)
I like my burgers and steaks medium, with the burger fully dressed or with worcestershire sauce and sauteed onions, and my hubs likes his medium rare. There are some places, though, that I would not order anything other than well done.

Andrea
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/29 20:09:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Not at all; grab a hot waffle and fling it at me. Plenty of butter, extra syrup, please.

Coming right up.....Make sure to duck!..
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/29 20:21:24 (permalink)
Duck?!? I thought we were talking about burgers and waffles!
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/17 23:04:30 (permalink)
I like mine rare to medium rare but I will take it more well done if the place is suspect. When doing my own at home I ONLY use hamburger from my local meat market. Their hamburger is 90% lean. Excellent and very safe meat since they do everything from raising the cows to butchering them and making the meat in house. As for going out, The Four Star across the street from me has no problem making a nice 1/2 pounder meduim rare. To me if a place is not willing to do something less than medium, they arent very confident in the quality of their meat. Culvers always does a good job for me.
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 00:40:57 (permalink)
For me the optimal internal temperature for a burger is 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Charred on the outside and pink going into red on the inside. USDA says this is unsafe, but I do not care. I have been doing this all my life and have never had an ill effect.

I also enjoy "dangerous eggs," solid whites runny yolks. Yum.

For me it is a matter of not living in fear.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 05:01:20 (permalink)
If I order a hamburger I order a hamburger. I don't specify done-ness; it's just a cotton-pickin' hamburger, after all. I get specific only about steaks and such.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 07:06:32 (permalink)
Heck, just cut the horns off knock the dust off and walk that sucker by the broiler.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 08:48:42 (permalink)
You're supposed to cut the horns off?
The Bear
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 11:20:55 (permalink)
There are people that cook their ground steak? I thought everyone put some on a buttered slice of rye bread topped with salt, pepper and onions? Hmm, I'll have try this new method of preparation.
cyclops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 13:22:39 (permalink)
I understand eating a burger well, or medium well or even medium if that is how you like the taste, but if safety is a concern, the media has mislead you,making a mountain out of a mole hill to sell news stories.

Is there a safety issue, yes, a small, small, small one.

there are safety issues in:

driving.
drinking
swimming
shark attacks
lightning strikes
bear and cougar attacks
muggings
I can go on and on and on. Its just stupid.

The chance of getting sick off of burger meat rare or medium rare,WHEN TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THE VAST AMOUNT OF GROUND BEEF CONSUMED EVERY SINGLE DAY IN THE UNITED STATES, IS UNBELIEVEBLY SMALL.

The media will throw a number at you but will NEVER put it in percentage terms. 3o,ooo a year sounds way more horrendous that .03%
of the people eating burger!! DOn't buy into this FOOD NAZI BS and have a burger the way you like it.
Rayme
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 13:50:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

For some reason, I have the belief that one should be cautious when getting anything other than a well done burger. I almost always get burgers well done. I just don't trust that the meat is going to be "clean" enough.
Contrary to that, I never order a steak well done. I guess if I was at a steak house, if I ordered a burger, I might be more inclined to get a burger less than well done. But then, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't go to a steak house and order a hamburger in the first place.

I used to always get medium rare burgers, but with all the meat problems in the past, I just don't feel safe getting less than well done any more. Perhaps it's just unfounded fear. And, I have enjoyed some well done burgers that were still moist and delicious, without blood running out the side or turning my bun red. Maybe it's the Worchester sauce that they mix in the meat that keeps it that way, I don't know.

I love medium rare steaks. And still order them medium rare at restaurants.

This probably makes no sense. oh well.

Scorereader:

Don't count out having burgers at a steak house. Since a steak house is in the business of knowing their meat [at least if it is a good steakhouse] then you have a good chance of getting a great burger cooked the way you like it. I order a burger at the local chophouse all the time and they're some of the best burgers I've ever had; you do end up paying more for your burger but I rather pay a little extra and get a great burger then save a few bucks on a mediocre burger. The above applies for thick juicy burgers. I actually do also like the thin burger stand burger which always comes medium to well-done but to me it is a different experience; the condiments have more weight so the burger itself is not that important.
KBminihorse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 15:42:20 (permalink)
Definitely well done. I happen to think it's very flavorful that way. To each his own, really. Plus, for health reasons, it's still safer to cook hamburger through. I heard Dr. Lorraine Day on the radio describing how the meat industry views hamburger as 4D meat: dirty, diseased, dying & dead. In other words, they use the worst of the cattle to make hamburger meat. The meat packers other little inside joke is, don't wash the feces off, let the consumer eat it. So, if you choose to eat raw hamburger, remember what you're eating in each bite, along with a host of parasites, that will at least be killed if you bother to cook the meat.
tgfny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 15:44:55 (permalink)
As my ghillie in Scotland always orders, "Where a good vet can bring it back to life."
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/18 15:57:15 (permalink)
Since I'm the only one mentioning eating raw steak, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that I'd eat raw hamburger meat. In my youth, the corner market would take a round steak of your choosing out of the butcher case, and grind it fresh in the front of you. Nowadays, I perform that duty myself via food processor. This is reserved for eating raw within minutes of chopping. My hamburgers at home, if made with "ground beef", will have but a trace of pink inside after cooking. These can still be juicy if you avoid overhandling it and certainly by never squishing it down with a spatula.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1