Rare or Well done?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/20 15:04:29 (permalink)
To the original poster, CoinM, I'm still in the Northeast and it's getting harder to find a restaurant that will serve a burger anything but well-done. And I won't go back if they won't do (at least) medium-rare.

It's gotten so the "consuming undercooked food" warning is actually a GOOD sign. At least they'll consider it, rather than having some pimply-faced server tell you no after you've made up your mind. Smaller places with regular clientele are better bets. Makes sense. Their lawyers probably actually eat the food.
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/20 15:19:45 (permalink)
rare to medium rare never well done
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/20 15:48:25 (permalink)
In my local roadfood eateries in Ann Arbor, MI, they will ask me how I want my burger, and make it that way. One of them makes wonderful burgers I get medium rare, and one of them, I didn't bother to order another burger since it obviously came premade in a box. If I have a choice with a burger, I go medium rare to medium. Rare just falls apart on a bun, so I reserve that for steaks.

Can't do the raw thing...

Alice
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/21 10:05:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rayme

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

For some reason, I have the belief that one should be cautious when getting anything other than a well done burger. I almost always get burgers well done. I just don't trust that the meat is going to be "clean" enough.
Contrary to that, I never order a steak well done. I guess if I was at a steak house, if I ordered a burger, I might be more inclined to get a burger less than well done. But then, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't go to a steak house and order a hamburger in the first place.

I used to always get medium rare burgers, but with all the meat problems in the past, I just don't feel safe getting less than well done any more. Perhaps it's just unfounded fear. And, I have enjoyed some well done burgers that were still moist and delicious, without blood running out the side or turning my bun red. Maybe it's the Worchester sauce that they mix in the meat that keeps it that way, I don't know.

I love medium rare steaks. And still order them medium rare at restaurants.

This probably makes no sense. oh well.

Scorereader:

Don't count out having burgers at a steak house. Since a steak house is in the business of knowing their meat [at least if it is a good steakhouse] then you have a good chance of getting a great burger cooked the way you like it. I order a burger at the local chophouse all the time and they're some of the best burgers I've ever had; you do end up paying more for your burger but I rather pay a little extra and get a great burger then save a few bucks on a mediocre burger. The above applies for thick juicy burgers. I actually do also like the thin burger stand burger which always comes medium to well-done but to me it is a different experience; the condiments have more weight so the burger itself is not that important.

I go to a steak house for a steak. Whether the burgers are good or not, I get a steak.
I can get all the top quality burger I want at the grocery store (Wegman's, Giant or Whole Foods), the butcher at Eastern Market (DC) or through Omaha steaks.
I'm not spending 12 bucks or more for just a burger.

There are plenty of places that sell fantastic burgers without needing to go to a steak house. For example, in DC I have Chadwick's, Clyde's, Union Street Public House (Alexandria), Quarry House Tavern (Silver Spring), J. Pauls, Black's Bar and Kitchen (bethesda), and Silver Diner to name a few.

Rayme
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/21 17:41:37 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rayme

quote:

For some reason, I have the belief that one should be cautious when getting anything other than a well done burger. I almost always get burgers well done. I just don't trust that the meat is going to be "clean" enough.
Contrary to that, I never order a steak well done. I guess if I was at a steak house, if I ordered a burger, I might be more inclined to get a burger less than well done. But then, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't go to a steak house and order a hamburger in the first place.

I used to always get medium rare burgers, but with all the meat problems in the past, I just don't feel safe getting less than well done any more. Perhaps it's just unfounded fear. And, I have enjoyed some well done burgers that were still moist and delicious, without blood running out the side or turning my bun red. Maybe it's the Worchester sauce that they mix in the meat that keeps it that way, I don't know.

I love medium rare steaks. And still order them medium rare at restaurants.

This probably makes no sense. oh well.

Scorereader:

Don't count out having burgers at a steak house. Since a steak house is in the business of knowing their meat [at least if it is a good steakhouse] then you have a good chance of getting a great burger cooked the way you like it. I order a burger at the local chophouse all the time and they're some of the best burgers I've ever had; you do end up paying more for your burger but I rather pay a little extra and get a great burger then save a few bucks on a mediocre burger. The above applies for thick juicy burgers. I actually do also like the thin burger stand burger which always comes medium to well-done but to me it is a different experience; the condiments have more weight so the burger itself is not that important.

I go to a steak house for a steak. Whether the burgers are good or not, I get a steak.
I can get all the top quality burger I want at the grocery store (Wegman's, Giant or Whole Foods), the butcher at Eastern Market (DC) or through Omaha steaks.

There are plenty of places that sell fantastic burgers without needing to go to a steak house. For example, in DC I have Chadwick's, Clyde's, Union Street Public House (Alexandria), Quarry House Tavern (Silver Spring), J. Pauls, Black's Bar and Kitchen (bethesda), and Silver Diner to name a few.

Just a burger!! That's a steak dressed casual.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3760
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/21 18:42:23 (permalink)
quote:

You'd be missing out. The burger at Peter Lugar's was rated as one of the 20 burgers you need to eat before you die by GQ (not always my source for food recs, but this worked). I was skeptical, but it may well have been the best dang burger I have ever eaten in a restaurant.

Lugar's is VERY pricey for dinner (steaks), but going for burgers for lunch can give you a very clear picture of the Lugar's experience (and yes, it is an experience) for about 1/4th the price.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/22 01:37:20 (permalink)
The Ringside at Glendoveer golf course in Portland makes an excellent cooked to order hamburger available at a very affordable price on the bar menu. It is primarily a very good steakhouse,
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3760
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/22 07:50:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

The Ringside at Glendoveer golf course in Portland makes an excellent cooked to order hamburger available at a very affordable price on the bar menu. It is primarily a very good steakhouse,

Are they the same folks who run the steakhouse of the same name in a downtown location? I have dined there, and it is excellent. I ordered the steak, as did my companion, but would surely consider trying them for a lunch burger, if available.

Steve
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/22 09:02:32 (permalink)
I had a couple who came in yesterday and asked for two bugers as rare as I could do ,and I was more than happy to Oblige.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/12/22 22:43:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

Are they the same folks who run the steakhouse of the same name in a downtown location? I have dined there, and it is excellent. I ordered the steak, as did my companion, but would surely consider trying them for a lunch burger, if available.

Steve
Yes, it is the same people. I don't know as much about the downtown location because I have only eaten there a couple times. The golf course location is near where I worked and I really like the bar menu there.
cyclops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/08 16:18:29 (permalink)

Is Dr. Lorraine Day the same quack who says you can THINK CANCER AWAY?

Well Doc Day should stick to allopathic medicine, not nutrition, because
a. Doctors don't know sh it about nutrition
b. The 4 d's or what ever crap she is saying is an outright lie.

She is taking a term meant to identify cattle NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. These animals are used in PET FOOD. Any animal who dies in the field is called a DROPPER. It is coated in charcoal and
deemed not fit for human consumption. She's either purposely lying to her readers of is just dumb as a rock. Shes a doctor, so I doubt the dumb part.

Bad quality burger is burger that is HANDLED poorly. Most of the time it is burger that was out of the safe temp zone for too long.
Poperly handled ground beef keeps bacteria from multiplying and makes eating it a safe bet. However, there are issues of pesticides and hormones to consider, some whick can be killed by heat and some which can't be killed. Again, stop worrying, grind your own beef and eat ALL you want.
angelito444
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/10 00:36:56 (permalink)
Well done!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/11 10:12:21 (permalink)
I must confess to considering the place before deciding the doneness. I have two places in Charlottte that grind the beef each morning..."I'll have that burger wounded, good vet could bring it back, please"

Other end of the scale would be fast food where they won't even sell it until it's grey. Just remember the few people who died from undone meat at a Jack in the Box.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/17 16:06:45 (permalink)
Rare. And I ain't talking about the rare that some joints make it. I'm talking about the hit it in the head, grind it up, make a patty and walk by the grill on your way to the bun rare. Maybe hit it with a blow torch for a couple of seconds to melt some cheese.
And you're right. Well done cooks tend to make everything well done. Making rare is a skill. Almost anyone can cook meat till it's grey all the way through.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/17 17:44:07 (permalink)
This is a very easy question for me. The answer is WELL DONE on burgers but I still crave charred-rare steaks. I've had the unlucky experience of being extremely ill after consuming a rare burger --- that just gave Bed, Bath and Beyond - a completely new meaning.

It only takes once and you're a believer.
cookers45
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/20 14:05:52 (permalink)
[|)]I like my burgers medium rare to medium. I think that anything more well done than medium has absolutely no flavor.Luckily there are still a few restaurants in my area that will cook your burger any way you want it.
Coinmn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/20 14:53:49 (permalink)
One question...When I have gone into some restaurants and asked for my burger medium rare, I have been told, (by the waitress) that is it ILLEGAL to cook a burger medium rare. I do not know of any LAW that has been passed that says a restaurant HAS to cook its meat to a certain degree of doneness. Can anyone clairify this or point out a SPECIFIC law that states this in ANY state.
thanks for your help...
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/21 18:41:29 (permalink)
quote:
Can anyone clairify this or point out a SPECIFIC law that states this in ANY state.

Not at present, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate "Nanny-state" California would pass such a wussie law. Welcome to the litigant society.

Burger's medium rare please. Steaks and prime rib rare. There is no meat except a fried pork chop or cube steak that I like well done. That because of an Indiana farm grandmother. I even like bacon somewhat floppy. Most fish is better somewhat underdone. Tuna steak is ruined to me above rare. Salmon too! Raw is fine too.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/25 09:37:51 (permalink)
I asked for staek tartar in NYC a few years ago and was told that violated about four laws...raw egg, undercooked hamburder, blood and whatever.
Ashphalt
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/25 10:31:03 (permalink)
There may be state or local laws. At one time (probably late 80s)restaurants in Fort Lee all had signs referring to a New Jersey law requiring that all EGGS be fully (hard) cooked. It was repealed in short order due to popular demand.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/25 11:24:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Coinmn

One question...When I have gone into some restaurants and asked for my burger medium rare, I have been told, (by the waitress) that is it ILLEGAL to cook a burger medium rare. I do not know of any LAW that has been passed that says a restaurant HAS to cook its meat to a certain degree of doneness. Can anyone clairify this or point out a SPECIFIC law that states this in ANY state.
thanks for your help...
Yeah! I've encountered that in New Hampshire. You know, The Live Free or Die state. You can ride your scoot up to their establishment with out a helmut but can't order a burger Med. Rare thank God someone is looking out for my welfare seeing how I'm incapeable of making my own decisions. Chow Jim
Ashphalt
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/25 11:48:59 (permalink)
Jim,

I thought the outlet malls had that changed to "Live Free... or Below Wholesale!"
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/25 15:48:12 (permalink)
Yes that sounds about right, but I can still buy my adult type beverages here in Mass. cheaper than over the border. Chow Jim
Wildcat1616
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/29 13:30:15 (permalink)
I want a 1/2 pound burger to walk out of the kitchen, toss itself on my plate, introduce itself as the dish of the day... and commit suicide as I watch. It should still be moaning as I bite into it. All this food wussiness really gets my goat, which I also eat rare.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/30 14:47:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcat1616

I want a 1/2 pound burger to walk out of the kitchen, toss itself on my plate, introduce itself as the dish of the day... and commit suicide as I watch. It should still be moaning as I bite into it. All this food wussiness really gets my goat, which I also eat rare.

so cooking food is "wussy?"
Sorry, while I like my steak on the rare side, ground meat is a whole other thing. It's not a steak, it's a burger. Therefore, I don't feel the need for them to be cooked in the same fashion.
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/01/30 15:00:27 (permalink)
medium rare, thank you with some fried onions please
elswinger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/02/03 18:27:55 (permalink)
I like a pound of hamburger grilled on the medium side of medium-rare.
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/02/21 19:45:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Coinmn

How do most of our posters like their burgers?
Well-done,
Medium,
Medium-Rare,
Rare??

I LOOOVE my burgers rare and steaks Pittsburgh Rare.

I got to a local place called Tessaro's - they have a wood fired grill and hand-formed patties - I always get it rare.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/02/22 15:39:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:
[
Yeah! I've encountered that in New Hampshire. You know, The Live Free or Die state. You can ride your scoot up to their establishment with out a helmut but can't order a burger Med. Rare thank God someone is looking out for my welfare seeing how I'm incapeable of making my own decisions. Chow Jim
Off topic but Jims reply reminded me of a discussion the other evening. My loving daughter bought me a bicycle (your getting fluffy dad) Here in Florida it's legal to ride a Motorcycle w/o a helmet but even adults must wear a brain bucket when pedaling a bicycle.....
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Rare or Well done? 2006/02/22 18:27:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:
[
Off topic but Jims reply reminded me of a discussion the other evening. My loving daughter bought me a bicycle (your getting fluffy dad) Here in Florida it's legal to ride a Motorcycle w/o a helmet but even adults must wear a brain bucket when pedaling a bicycle.....
dreanzpainter, belive it or not but I can almost understand that. Just think about all the seniors that invade your state to retire and get themselves bikes to get around in those retirement communities, heck they haven't been on a pedal bike in years. But your right it just dosen't make sence. I want my burger Med. Rare! Chow Jim
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1